losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:Big wine on a hot day! What did you think? Of the SRT of course..

Just had it about half an hour ago (still sipping) with filet mignon, broiled cauliflower, and yams so not as hot it is in a great place with big fruit, medium tannins and loooong finish! Much much better than about two years ago when I opened another 2006. Makes me hopeful the 2008 magnum I have will last another 10 years!

"The older I get the better I was"

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
losthighwayz wrote:Makes me hopeful the 2008 magnum I have will last another 10 years!

Easy IMHO

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20

2004 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder

CT

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Tough to fit a 5th in on the Upper Sonoma day. Can't drop IH, Dry Creek fits our theme, we don't visit P(ed)roncelli. Guess we could have tossed Foppiano. Trade-offs; never fun.

For me, Ridge >> Pedroncelli.
But I'm also the guy who would more than happily do 5 wineries in a day and have Iron Horse dinner and tasting start at 5 or 6 (or 7) pm.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen

Last night drank a soon-to-be-offered Roussanne followed by 2010 Otter Cove Riesling, which was oxidized. No visible seepage until I pulled the cork and saw seepage up one side almost to the top. Strong vinegar smell, tasted almost as bad as it smelled, poured it down the drain.

losthighwayz

2012 Fable Charbono Rose. Loved it. Wish I had ordered my own set instead of waiting for Sparky's overflow. I hope WW offers it again. Perfect for a hot and muggy SoCal Day.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:For me, Ridge >> Pedroncelli.

To some extent apples & oranges, but I agree. They are significantly different wines. With a blank check, I'd likely be buying Ridge, but it's tough to beat the QPR that Pedroncelli delivers.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

2013 Zeppelin Paso Robles Pinot Noir. I know, infanticide. Broke all kinds of rules opening this one, considering it just rode cross-country a couple of weeks ago. But Stillman said it's one of the 10 best wines he's made in 30 years of enological malpractice [sic]. It was truly wonderful, everything I like in a Pinot, and none of what I don't like. Ripe red berries on the nose, soft tannins, not a hint of heat, despite 14.9% ABV, terrific finish. One for Kyle, 2 more to put away and see how they age. Meanwhile, if this shows up on a woot-off, I'll be all over it. And I'm not much of a PN guy.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
cortot20 wrote:2004 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon Mt. Veeder

How's that doing? I'm still sitting on mine.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:To some extent apples & oranges, but I agree. They are significantly different wines. With a blank check, I'd likely be buying Ridge, but it's tough to beat the QPR that Pedroncelli delivers.

Agreed on both counts. Blank cheque my cellar would be full of Corison and Monte Bello.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

Drank most of a 2011 Olivier Jouan Hautes-Cotes de Nuits Vieilles Vignes, the rest waiting for molarchae. Then popped a 2012 Loring Wine Company Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon.

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

finished the Wellington, moved on to
NV Penfolds Club Reserve Classic Tawny

CT

cortot20

merbill wrote:How's that doing? I'm still sitting on mine.

I really enjoyed it. Still plenty of fruit so I'm sure it's not even peaked yet. Tannins were still kickin too! Great wine.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

2010 Triacipadis last night.
Went quite well with the sauerbraten.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

ddeuddeg

klezman wrote:Agreed on both counts. Blank cheque my cellar would be full of Corison and Monte Bello.

Yeah, well, I meant with a blank check to choose between the two wineries in that comparison. Unrestricted blank check, that's another story.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

On Friday - 2010 Scott Harvey Old Vine Zin (white label) and Iron Horse 2005 Vintage Brut. (and a relatively speaking, crappy 2011 Barkan reserve cab)

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

2005 Brookdale Cab.
Just your normal deliccccious Napa Cab.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Lance and Windmill petite sirah

This one is singing beautifully. Lots of chalky to silky tannins, a mouth full of balanced dark fruit and a touch of wood to round it up.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Last night, 2010 Turley Zinfandel Rattlesnake Ridge, Howell Mountain

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

2011 Dry Creek Vineyard Zinfandel Heritage

just to remind myself to grab some next week.
Damn, dusted 3/4 of that bottle.
Must be decompressing.

CT

losthighwayz

2011 Peters Family Winery Pinot Sonoma Mountain

rjquillin

~~~ POTENTIAL RPM/WW TOURISTS ~~~

We have a last second open seat!

PM or post ASAP if interested.

[edit] Guaranteed a partial, but there may even be a full subsidy. We don't want an empty seat.

CT

cortot20

2010 Sequana Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands
It's Friday!!!!!!!

A friend split this order with me 8 months ago. He never paid or picked this up so I'm drinking it tonight. Woohoo!

CT

klezman

Reliving the 2010 Tour: 2005 Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard Pinot Noir. It's still kind of cold and just opened, but damn that's a nice big earthy nose.

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom

I had one last bottle of Porter-Bass 2008 Chardonay -- one of those wines that you enablers convinced me was worth a flyer, even with an SO who always maintained, "I don't drink Chardonnay". What a lovely wine! Glad I didn't listen to the Chard-hater in the house -- don't be a hater! It's still drinking well, and we both loved it.

chipgreen

1975 Machiavelli Chianti Classico

Wanted to try out my new ah-so style opener on an older bottle. Before I could work it all the way in, it started to push the cork into the bottle so I tried to extract it at about half depth and got just the top half of the cork. The rest got pushed into the bottle. The wine had seeped up the cork to within 1/2" of the bottle top and there was noticeable sediment in the bottle. I used a filtered pour spout to pour the wine.

Brickish brown/red/plum color. Oxidized/caramelized/candied nose with Sherry-like qualities. Fig, prune, plum and black cherry on the palate. Slightly acetic/sour with a touch of spice on the finish and a surprising amount of tannins still present.

Started to fall apart after 1/2 hr. in the glass but much more drinkable than I expected it to be, especially given that the cork was protruding slightly above the bottle on one side. Drank 2 glasses then vacu-vin'd the rest. Will be interesting to see how it fares overnight.

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

2009 Twisted Vine Zinfandel Alexander Valley. Quite delish with pizza.

kylemittskus

2008 Noceto Sangio Reserva

Wound up pretty tight on the PnP.

jrb11

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrb11

Started of with a 2011 Domaine de Brau Vin de Pays de la Cité de Carcassonne Vin de Méditation (Syrah based blend) paired with some Chinese food (French version of Chinese food) and moved on to a bottle of 2010 Château Voigny Sauternes paired with a red fruit crumble and tart citron... finished it off with a glass of Raymond Ragnaud Grand Champagne Réserve 1er Cru de Cognac

A little more to drink between two people than usual, but everything was just so good!

CT

kylemittskus

jrb11 wrote:Started of with a 2011 Domaine de Brau Vin de Pays de la Cité de Carcassonne Vin de Méditation (Syrah based blend) paired with some Chinese food (French version of Chinese food) and moved on to a bottle of 2010 Château Voigny Sauternes paired with a red fruit crumble and tart citron... finished it off with a glass of Raymond Ragnaud Grand Champagne Réserve 1er Cru de Cognac

A little more to drink between two people than usual, but everything was just so good!

Sounds wonderful.

randysanders

jrb11 wrote:Started of with a 2011 Domaine de Brau Vin de Pays de la Cité de Carcassonne Vin de Méditation (Syrah based blend) paired with some Chinese food (French version of Chinese food) and moved on to a bottle of 2010 Château Voigny Sauternes paired with a red fruit crumble and tart citron... finished it off with a glass of Raymond Ragnaud Grand Champagne Réserve 1er Cru de Cognac

Niiiiiice!

We're drinkin' the F-Bomb (F2) on the patio.
78 degrees and a nice little breeze.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Scott Harvey One Last Kiss

cortot20

Manos negras soil select 09' Malbec.
Oak bomb all the way.

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

2006 Hopper Creek Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley, Los Chamizal Vineyards

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

2012 Rochioli Russian River sauvignon blanc. Yum!!

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
justplainjulie wrote:2012 Rochioli Russian River sauvignon blanc. Yum!!

Yum! I've not had anything if theirs for a few years.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

rjquillin

Wellington 2002 Syrah.
Anyone recall if this was the reserve?
Leftovers poured from a double mag on tour Tuesday night where entirely too much wine was available. Wait, how can that be?
For an '02 this is wonderfully young.
The wonders of large formats and Argon preservation.

CT

chipgreen

2007 Château de Beauregard Pouilly-Fuissé Classique

randysanders

2001 Ardente Atlas Peak Cab.
Bottle is beautiful, cork in perfect condition,
bottom is very dark, no crud. (correction,
finely divided, silt-like crud, as dark as squid
ink on the bottom of the cork)
Poured the wine...very dark, like iron rich blood.
The nose is full and very Napa, did I smell
basil from here, or is that the pizza in the oven?
Delicious, flavor throughout the palate, not a
lot of viscosity, the finish goes on forever. Mild,
but noticeable tanins. This wine is ready to drink...and I've got another 2001 in the cellar!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Finished off the 2011 Halcon Esquisto. Opened Grupo Bodegas Olarra Cerro Anon Rioja Reserva 2006. Great qpr at $12/bottle. If you see it again on TSO, pick up some. You won't regret it.