bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:Kids visiting from Texas = let;s pull corks.

So far
Jana 2008 Rose
Kent Rasmussen 2010 Sav Blanc

Coming up
Hacienda 1977 Cab Sauv

purchased for $9 at release

RPM, I am indeed indebted to you and the tour. I have been hesitant to pull this cork for ~years~ not knowing what to expect. Thanks to you, I finally have, and was richly rewarded with a lovely aged cab that is tasting wonderfully. Everything else will indeed have a high bar to match.
Om my, and 12.1% ABV.

1989 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve
1999 Astrale e Terra Arcturus

And no idea what may follow those...

Very nice Ron (the color on that cab looks GREAT!)!!!

Enjoy your time with your kids, and your fabulous collection of wine and spirits!!!

bsevern

I just finished getting some home made chilli into the crockpot, but before I started I was kind of in the mood for something different so I cracked open a bottle of the 2006 Gazzi Chard...it's still drinking nicely, lots of white peach, a touch of banana, not bad for what it is.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

And the gallivanting in local wines continues. Tonight is "the Queen of Clermont" 2010 which is a white blend from Tousey winery. Probably the best of the local wines so far, but a little on the sweet side for me.

Open in the decanter is a 2007 Tallulah Del Rio Syrah. See Tallulah has something up on WTSO, so we'll see how this bottle is doing.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'08 Mathis Grenache, Sonoma Valley.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman

2006 Wellington Syrah, England Crest

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

neilfindswine wrote:'08 Mathis Grenache, Sonoma Valley.

Neil I have three bottles of that stashed away. How's it drinking now? Any tasting notes? Just wondering if I should keep them down, or start drinking them

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Went to see A Midsummer Night's Dream. One bottle of '08 Triacipedis with the curried chicken salad before the show, and a bottle of '07 Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Zin during the second act (and finished at home). Life is good.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
bsevern wrote:Very nice Ron (the color on that cab looks GREAT!)!!!

Enjoy your time with your kids, and your fabulous collection of wine and spirits!!!

And it was every bit as good or better that it looked!
I really owe rpm and the vet tour a huge debt of gratitude.

1989 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve:
A definite letdown from the '77, but would have been quite nice on it's own.

1999 Astrale e Terra Arcturus:
Still a baby and really seems like it needs a bit more time.

CT

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:Neil I have three bottles of that stashed away. How's it drinking now? Any tasting notes? Just wondering if I should keep them down, or start drinking them

You probably have the '07 (from Woot)? I saw the '08 at Sonoma market tonight and picked it up.

It's exactly what I was looking for this eve. Bright and spicy. Young, but not sure how long I'd age? Frankly, it's yummy today.

Itwdswafo

Wasn't enough wine, so opened up a bottle of 2009 Scott Harvey Amador County Zin. My current NY supply is down to 11 bottles now. Hoping the RPM shipment comes soon, though need to stock back up on the local wines too. I'm no where near desperate enough to start getting shipments sent over from my storage locker in Orange County.

bsevern

You're exactly right, it's the 2007 Mathis Grenache I have from woot. The 2008 sounds good. The CT notes seem to indicate it's still pretty tight, but I should just crack open a bottle to test out. Hard to go wrong with Grenache!

neilfindswine wrote:You probably have the '07 (from Woot)? I saw the '08 at Sonoma market tonight and picked it up.

It's exactly what I was looking for this eve. Bright and spicy. Young, but not sure how long I'd age? Frankly, it's yummy today.

neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:Hard to go wrong with Grenache!

Agreed. 100%

rjquillin

The final damages, consumed all or in part from right to left.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Went out to celebrate mom's 89th birthday yesterday evening with the family.

Brought along Scott's Mountain Select Barbera (Red label), J&S Reserve Barbera (White label), and his 1869 Zin (magnum).

They were all enjoyed.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Planning on opening (per tytyger's hounding) with pork roast:

2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly's

Will post back tonight.

???

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

Apologies...
I continue to prattle like a little kid in a candy shop. Just looked, yet again, at the label of the '77 and turned it to read the back. Lo, Winemaker's Note! It must have been that next to last sentence that kept my hands off this all these many years.

rpm preaches, and I'm now a True Believer and remain indebted to the group and in his mantra.
Buena Vista Vineyard Cab/Merlot 87/13% blend, must at 22.1 Brix, TA 0.6%, 12.1 ABV. Is Cathy the sole torch bearer? We need more of these. And it looks like Steven MacRostie is still with us and active. Anyone know about him?

Images also up in CT

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:???

Cork had seepage. Still drank it and it was still quite delicious, but I think that the oxidation from the cork failure took away from it a bit. It's definitely the kind of style I want from a New World syrah; not over-the-top but powerful with good, concentrated fruit.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

I am drinking an old vine zinfandel from Amador County, a wine from one of the winemaking groups at Grape Expectations. Upon opening, it smelled a little green, and a little like zin, but I had misgivings. I let it sit for 40 minutes while I began to prepare dinner - Asian Pork Tenderloins. This wine has opened up very nicely; light in color and texture, it smells like a zin, and is very enjoyable as an every day wine.

brightgreen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brightgreen

Having the 2011 Dry Creek Chenin Blanc that we picked up on the RPM tour. Pairing it with mahi mahi in a lemon-ginger marinade and a tarragon, potato, and carrot salad. The chenin blanc is as good as when we tried it at Dry Creek: quite crisp but still with a large amount of fruit.

Pale yellow color. Moderate to aromatic nose (though somewhat muted straight out of the fridge), with flavors of green apple, apricot, note of cantaloupe and a hint of lemongrass. Palate: dry, light body, crisp acidity; flavors of bright apple, light peach, and a hint of floral. Nice fruity summer sipper, light and flavorful with a bright tropical and apple feel. Mmm...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I know it's not wine, but I was at Target this morning and saw Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Looked fun, what the hell. It's pretty damn good. I'll be buying more soon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Itwdswafo

2008 Grgich Chard. Gone sour, so gave it all to my roommate who gulped it all down.

kylemittskus

bhodilee wrote:I know it's not wine, but I was at Target this morning and saw Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. Looked fun, what the hell. It's pretty damn good. I'll be buying more soon.

I do not like that beer at all. Tastes like a maraschino cherry.

brightgreen

kylemittskus wrote:I do not like that beer at all. Tastes like a maraschino cherry.

I've never had a beer that tasted like a maraschino cherry. This makes me curious, even though I'm not generally a beer drinker (or perhaps because of it). It sounds interesting.

kylemittskus

Opened my last bottle of 2009 Davis Family Vineyards Cuvée Luke. The shipment was heat damaged and only one bottle was good. This one was not. The one good bottle, though, was good.

Drinking my last bottle of 2007 Roessler Blue Jay PN. Absolutely delicious.

bsevern

Poured my first bottle of 2007 Keller Estate Pinot Noir La Cruz Vineyard into the decanter.

I hope these guys know how to make good Pinot.

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:I do not like that beer at all. Tastes like a maraschino cherry.

Dark cherries for me. Still good tonight

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

brightgreen

Tonight we decided to cook one of the interesting options from a long list of recipes on the Pedroncelli website: grilled pork tenderloin with peach salsa (substituting pork chops for the loin). Recipe: http://www.pedroncelli.com/recipes/recipe.asp?RecipeID=149

Naturally, we opened a bottle of 2010 Pedroncelli friends.red to go with it, which we picked up on the RPM tour.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
brightgreen wrote:I've never had a beer that tasted like a maraschino cherry. This makes me curious, even though I'm not generally a beer drinker (or perhaps because of it). It sounds interesting.

Go find a cherry or raspberry Kriek lambic. Drink it out of a wine glass. It'll be a great introduction into very interesting beers.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Sam Adams summer ale.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
otolith wrote:Go find a cherry or raspberry Kriek lambic. Drink it out of a wine glass. It'll be a great introduction into very interesting beers.

lambic beer is the only beer that I like... and I have tried TONS of beer... I have accepted the fact that I am a wine person... not a beer person..

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
mommadeb1 wrote:lambic beer is the only beer that I like... and I have tried TONS of beer... I have accepted the fact that I am a wine person... not a beer person..

*High Five!*

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bhodilee

not nearly enough

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bhodilee wrote:not nearly enough

Whatcha starting with?

I'm just hanging out, really.

kylemittskus

2011 Wellington The Duchess

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Finishing off a Jana Riesling ($7.50!) and lining up a Sojourn Sonoma Coast Pinot 2010 to follow it. Really excited to try the Sojourn.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
redwinefan wrote:Finishing off a Jana Riesling ($7.50!) and lining up a Sojourn Sonoma Coast Pinot 2010 to follow it. Really excited to try the Sojourn.

How is the Sojourn drinking?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

My Ty Caton 2001 Merlot I got to sample at the BBQ arrived Friday. Couldn't wait any longer. Great with a blue New York strip.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

mommadeb1 wrote:lambic beer is the only beer that I like... and I have tried TONS of beer... I have accepted the fact that I am a wine person... not a beer person..

Bless you.

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

I have one bottle of the 07 left and I don't want to open it, really introduced me to the varietal and now I can't get enough. Need more of it, hope we get a chance to buy some more on woot.

Tonight it is Buena Vista 2007 Pinot ramal vineyard. Very nice Pinot for the price.

bsevern wrote:You're exactly right, it's the 2007 Mathis Grenache I have from woot. The 2008 sounds good. The CT notes seem to indicate it's still pretty tight, but I should just crack open a bottle to test out. Hard to go wrong with Grenache!

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:My Ty Caton 2001 Merlot I got to sample at the BBQ arrived Friday. Couldn't wait any longer. Great with a blue New York strip.

When did you buy the 2001 Merlot? Was Ty offering it to us? I would totally have bought some! It was delicious despite his opinion that it was well over the hill.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT