tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Meh. And for a $6, that's ok. It's not my style of SB (it emulates the NZ wines), but at $6, I think it easily competes with the $10-$14 NZ wines. I'm not going to re-buy, but I'm not unhappy I have 2 more bottles.



Oh well I bought two, will try one tomorrow.

Tonight 2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County great bottle! If that R. Merlo Syrah is half this bottle we will be happy. Have you tried the Cabot yet?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Oh well I bought two, will try one tomorrow.

Tonight 2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County great bottle! If that R. Merlo Syrah is half this bottle we will be happy. Have you tried the Cabot yet?



Of course not! I've been holding them from all your positive comments. But they're pretty. I'll open one this summer for sure.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Meh. And for a $6, that's ok. It's not my style of SB (it emulates the NZ wines), but at $6, I think it easily competes with the $10-$14 NZ wines. I'm not going to re-buy, but I'm not unhappy I have 2 more bottles.


From your comment can I assume grassy?

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:From your comment can I assume grassy?



Not really, actually. Just grapefruit-y.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2 day old Wellington Merlot. Tasty tues...errr..Monday night wine

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Of course not! I've been holding them from all your positive comments. But they're pretty. I'll open one this summer for sure.



Arrggh..wine hoarder

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Opened my first Tri the Third tonight. On first taste, not impressed with this one. I get butterscotch covered green apples with a lingering butterscotch afterburn that verges on the cloying even though this is not a sweet wine (0.75 RS).

I'd put this wine in the same wheelhouse as the widely distributed Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier as far as sweetness, but the Pine Ridge comes together better with a more satisfying result for the same price point.

I'm not sure I'm giving this a fair shot since it followed up two lackluster glasses of wine at Fleming's Happy Hour so I'm going to hold off on doing a CT review for now.

Initial impression: could make a nice spritzer.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
redwinefan wrote:Opened my first Tri the Third tonight. On first taste, not impressed with this one. I get butterscotch covered green apples with a lingering butterscotch afterburn that verges on the cloying even though this is not a sweet wine (0.75 RS).

I'd put this wine in the same wheelhouse as the widely distributed Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier as far as sweetness, but the Pine Ridge comes together better with a more satisfying result for the same price point.

I'm not sure I'm giving this a fair shot since it followed up two lackluster glasses of wine at Fleming's Happy Hour so I'm going to hold off on doing a CT review for now.

Initial impression: could make a nice spritzer.



It surely isn't a particularly complex or interesting wine but on a hot day it sure goes down easy. It's a matter of perspective, expectation, and situation

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Had a bottle of the Gard Pinot Gris last night. Went well with our fancy dinner of to-go Olive Garden.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

redwinefan


quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:It surely isn't a particularly complex or interesting wine but on a hot day it sure goes down easy. It's a matter of perspective, expectation, and situation



I totally agree about the perspective, expectation, and situation point, and that's why I'm not rating it yet until I've given it a fairer shot.

But, as of this point, for a $12.50ish white blend with a little RS, I'd go for the Pine Ridge.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:Had a bottle of the Gard Pinot Gris last night. Went well with our fancy dinner of to-go Olive Garden.



Good God, why on earth would you do that to your poor mouth? Olive Garden?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Good God, why on earth would you do that to your poor mouth? Olive Garden?!



Nothing wrong with Olive Garden.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20


quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:Nothing wrong with Olive Garden.



In most towns you can find better similarly priced Italian food. The only one I have been to in 15 years wasn't worth going to again.

CT

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Cracked open a bottle of 1996 Buena Vista Cab tonight. Still drinking nicely with lots of fruit, the nose of candied cherries is amazing.

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Last night opened two bottles

First was a 2009 Black Cat Syrah. Unfortunately it was cooked. Not sure if this happened from improper storage, shipment, or because the AC was shut off while I was away for three weeks (probably the latter) but it was still drinking.... Decent. Not any where where it should have been (I've had it before) but it wasn't the terrible flavor I've had (from cooked wines) before.

Second was a local wine, Casacade Mountain Heavenly Daze NV. A red dessert wine, not sure of the varietal. Tasted like ginger bread cookies and vanilla yogurt.

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I guess I'll follow up with tonight's choices as well.

Started off with another local wine. It was unfortunately unlabeled, so not much information on it. Brought by a guest, so trying to figure out at least what winery it came from (lol). First wine I've really seen that I would describe as "cloudy." Not much flavor, and high in acidity.

Next was a French white. Chateau valcombe - epicure 2010. Earthy aromas and an easy sipper. Good summer wine.

Have a bottle of William Harrison Rutherford red 2006 that the cork has been pulled and waiting while we enjoy the others. -- Now drinking, has aroma of tobacco with flavor of red cherries and cedar. Not really getting the Rutherford dust that others have noted. Honestly, not really a fan of the William Harrison brand, I don't understand where the reviews come from.

Good news: looks like none of the other bottles have been cooked, so it must have been an isolated incident with the black cat. Such a bummer too, I was looking forward to that one.

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

Esterlina Dry Riesling with chicken, salmon with rosemary, green beans and rice; worked well. Desert was some going to be some Kunde Zin and blue cheese, but got interrupted with that 2005 Stonier P.N. up on W+. Back to the Zin, and perhaps a bit of port to finish off.

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Clos du bois Pinot noir.
Could have been any red varietal. It had zero varietal character. But the parents bought and brought it so I can't complain. Any wine will do when sittin in the hospital for 3 1/2 days and it's your anniversary.

CT

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Wife is receiving her Masters degree tomorrow so we are out at an Itilian restaurant.

Bottle of 2004 Col D'Orcia Brunello Di Montalcino

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Naked Winery's Outdoor Vino Wanderlust White.

I'm just hanging out, really.

sanity


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Newsome-Harlow's 2010 Train Wreck, a blend of 52% Syrah and 48% Cab. It is taking a loooong time to open, but is turning into a very pleasant wine. Inky, dark, bright red, not cloudy, thick, nice legs. The aroma is amazing; fruity, cherries, wood, tobacco, something green, fennel.... The taste is tart cherries, tobacco, eucalyptus, and some other stuff I can't identify. Lots of tannins.

This will go well with the rack of lamb on the barbie.

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2006 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains Estate

A blend of 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 42% Merlot, and 2% Petit Verdot. coffee, licorice, blackberry and raspberry flavors, tannins and acid balanced nicely 13.7 ABV. Really drinking well

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




klezman


quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Currently on 2008 Racchus Reserve Red. Not sure what's for dinner. The Racchus started off shockingly green for a Ty wine, but otherwise exactly what I'd expect with very ripe flavours and sufficient acid to balance.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

2nd bottle of

2011 VINTJS Sauvignon Blanc (relabeled St. Supery) from Trader Joe's ($5.99)

I like it better than the last bottle, but it just isn't what I want in an SB these days. That being said, I think that it will compete with most of the NZ SBs that are 2x or more the price.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Itwdswafo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Diddling in the world of beer tonight. Who knew it was just as complicated as wine? Too bad I have no idea about any of it.

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Hmmmm.....want a GOOD red tonight, what to drink . . .

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
Itwdswafo wrote:Diddling in the world of beer tonight. Who knew it was just as complicated as wine? Too bad I have no idea about any of it.



I know a bit. Actually, I think it's a fair topic for its own thread...

Creating one now.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
bsevern wrote:Hmmmm.....want a GOOD red tonight, what to drink . . .


98 Mondavi Reserve?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

'07 Sawyer Cellars Estate Merlot. I'm drinking @#%* Merlot! And it's good.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bsevern


quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
otolith wrote:98 Mondavi Reserve?



Mmmmm...I bet that would be a good choice. I decided to try out a bottle of the 2007 Jason-Stephens Estate Merlot I picked up here in April, got it in the decanter now.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
neilfindswine wrote:'07 Sawyer Cellars Estate Merlot. I'm drinking @#%* Merlot! And it's good.



Do you have more info? I got an offer for their 2007 library reserve cab at $22.50/ bottle (reg 110) and am wondering how good their stuff is.

Tonight for me was Bremer family claret 2003 which is one hell of a wine. Especially good at $25/ bottle.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20


quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

In celebration of brining our little dude hone we opened a little bubbly.
: N.V. Wiens Family Cellars Amour De L'Orange

CT

edlada


quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

I went to my German friend's house Thursday night for dinner. We started with a bottle of 2007 Riesling from Austria to go with the wild rainbow trout wrapped in foil and grilled. The Riesling was good, very dry, good acid and varietal character. After dinner we got down to the serious wine drinking. We started with a 1970 Chateau Latour. It was a bit tight when we first tasted it but it slowly opened up. The usual cassis, dark red fruits, etc. This was a wonderful wine that slowy revealed its intensity and complexity. Next was a 1983 Chateau Cheval Blanc. I had had a bottle of this last year and it was outstanding. Vibrant fruit, a little leather and a hint of barnyard from the Merlot. Next up was a 1983 Chateau Margaux. This one was also fantastic, great fruit, cassis, leather and cedar. To finish the evening (at 1:00 a.m.) we opened a 1985 Clos du Val California Cabernet (Napa Valley). It was amazing. After three bottles of 1st grand cru Bordeaux's, this Cali cab definitely held its own. Very nice fruit and tannins and although not quite as complex as the Bordeauxs, I would have mistaken it for a good 2nd cru Bordeaux if I had tasted it blind. This wine was tasted at the 1976 Judgement of Paris (1972 vintage) and it was in last place. At the 1986 tasting it was ranked number one. A very fine California Cabernet.

All in all another memorable evening with my friend. We were talking about wine.woot! and my friend extended an open invitation to any wine.wooters that find themselves in the Berlin area to come over for a little wine tasting. Or as my friend says in his less than perfect English: "Eddie, come to my house and we will drink any old wines."



My dogs like me, that is important.

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
bsevern wrote:Mmmmm...I bet that would be a good choice. I decided to try out a bottle of the 2007 Jason-Stephens Estate Merlot I picked up here in April, got it in the decanter now.


I perused your cellar and noted that you have 3 bottles each of quite a few 10-15 yr old wines. If you've not had them yet, seems like prime time to start!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith


quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
edlada wrote:I went to my German friend's house Thursday night for dinner. We started with a bottle of 2007 Riesling from Austria to go with the wild rainbow trout wrapped in foil and grilled. The Riesling was good, very dry, good acid and varietal character. After dinner we got down to the serious wine drinking. We started with a 1970 Chateau Latour. It was a bit tight when we first tasted it but it slowly opened up. The usual cassis, dark red fruits, etc. This was a wonderful wine that slowy revealed its intensity and complexity. Next was a 1983 Chateau Cheval Blanc. I had had a bottle of this last year and it was outstanding. Vibrant fruit, a little leather and a hint of barnyard from the Merlot. Next up was a 1983 Chateau Margaux. This one was also fantastic, great fruit, cassis, leather and cedar. To finish the evening (at 1:00 a.m.) we opened a 1985 Clos du Val California Cabernet (Napa Valley). It was amazing. After three bottles of 1st grand cru Bordeaux's, this Cali cab definitely held its own. Very nice fruit and tannins and although not quite as complex as the Bordeauxs, I would have mistaken it for a good 2nd cru Bordeaux if I had tasted it blind. This wine was tasted at the 1976 Judgement of Paris (1972 vintage) and it was in last place. At the 1986 tasting it was ranked number one. A very fine California Cabernet.

All in all another memorable evening with my friend. We were talking about wine.woot! and my friend extended an open invitation to any wine.wooters that find themselves in the Berlin area to come over for a little wine tasting. Or as my friend says in his less than perfect English: "Eddie, come to my house and we will drink any old wines."



Looks like a great night! Our kids are in a German Immersion school, and are planning to take a trip to Germany in a couple years. We may have to take your friend up on his offer!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

edlada


quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
otolith wrote:Looks like a great night! Our kids are in a German Immersion school, and are planning to take a trip to Germany in a couple years. We may have to take your friend up on his offer!



Come on over! My friend is a general surgeon, he has his own surgery clinic, I am sure you you would have much to talk about over some nice wine. We keep trying to drink down his cellar but there will be plenty of wine left for years to come! I have to warn you, they speak the Brandenburg dialect in these parts, not quite the most correct German ever.

My dogs like me, that is important.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

edlada wrote:I went to my German friend's house Thursday night for dinner. We started with a bottle of 2007 Riesling from Austria to go with the wild rainbow trout wrapped in foil and grilled. The Riesling was good, very dry, good acid and varietal character. After dinner we got down to the serious wine drinking. We started with a 1970 Chateau Latour. It was a bit tight when we first tasted it but it slowly opened up. The usual cassis, dark red fruits, etc. This was a wonderful wine that slowy revealed its intensity and complexity. Next was a 1983 Chateau Cheval Blanc. I had had a bottle of this last year and it was outstanding. Vibrant fruit, a little leather and a hint of barnyard from the Merlot. Next up was a 1983 Chateau Margaux. This one was also fantastic, great fruit, cassis, leather and cedar. To finish the evening (at 1:00 a.m.) we opened a 1985 Clos du Val California Cabernet (Napa Valley). It was amazing. After three bottles of 1st grand cru Bordeaux's, this Cali cab definitely held its own. Very nice fruit and tannins and although not quite as complex as the Bordeauxs, I would have mistaken it for a good 2nd cru Bordeaux if I had tasted it blind. This wine was tasted at the 1976 Judgement of Paris (1972 vintage) and it was in last place. At the 1986 tasting it was ranked number one. A very fine California Cabernet.

All in all another memorable evening with my friend. We were talking about wine.woot! and my friend extended an open invitation to any wine.wooters that find themselves in the Berlin area to come over for a little wine tasting. Or as my friend says in his less than perfect English: "Eddie, come to my house and we will drink any old wines."





Wow. Just, Wow. That is a nice Friday eve.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

neilfindswine


quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:Do you have more info? I got an offer for their 2007 library reserve cab at $22.50/ bottle (reg 110) and am wondering how good their stuff is.

Tonight for me was Bremer family claret 2003 which is one hell of a wine. Especially good at $25/ bottle.



Always liked Sawyer- making quality wines at decent prices compared to their fancier neighbors with bigger tasting rooms. Good dirt over there on 29- sadly they were recently purchased by Foley- they're changing name and are happy to have an address on hwy 29.

I didn't take notes, but the Merlot was nice- pretty fruit, I thought about a berry cobbler- balanced- integrated oak. Decent finish.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

Planning on opening (per tytyger's hounding) with pork roast:

2007 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Kimberly's

Will post back tonight.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

Kids visiting from Texas = let;s pull corks.

So far
Jana 2008 Rose
Kent Rasmussen 2010 Sav Blanc

Coming up
Hacienda 1977 Cab Sauv

purchased for $9 at release



RPM, I am indeed indebted to you and the tour. I have been hesitant to pull this cork for ~years~ not knowing what to expect. Thanks to you, I finally have, and was richly rewarded with a lovely aged cab that is tasting wonderfully. Everything else will indeed have a high bar to match.
Om my, and 12.1% ABV.

1989 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve
1999 Astrale e Terra Arcturus

And no idea what may follow those...

CT