edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
tytiger58 wrote:Great stuff for a school night thanks!

Drinking milk tonight. On the plus side, we were gifted fresh weekly milk delivery for the holidays. mmm mm good. I need more cookies!

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:So you are saying the fruit held up well for 13 years

Yes...that must be it! Along with all those oak staves

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

trifecta wrote:1997 Portteus Merlot. Washington wine to celebrate Seahawks victory! Fruit is rock solid. Little funky on the nose, but it's coming around. Sweet chewy tannins. Aged Merlot continues to be consistent for us

A few questionable calls there, but the 9ers defeated themselves in the end with those interceptions and turnovers.

Mmmm...aged Merlot. Might soon open an older Roche now that you mention it!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

2008 La Pèira en Damaisèla Coteaux du Languedoc Les Terrasses du Larzac Les Obriers de La Pèira

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2010 Halcon Vineyards Mourvedre Esquisto this bottle is gorgeous! 13.5 ABV was undrinkable on delivery, wish I had a cellar full of these.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:2010 Halcon Vineyards Mourvedre Esquisto this bottle is gorgeous! 13.5 ABV was undrinkable on delivery, wish I had a cellar full of these.

I just hid mine away to sleep longer. Maybe I'll open one soon.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:I just hid mine away to sleep longer. Maybe I'll open one soon.

Remember he's a baby-killer

We're revisiting that dry Port Shiraz from last night. Much much improved. Now it tastes like wine!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
tytiger58 wrote:2010 Halcon Vineyards Mourvedre Esquisto this bottle is gorgeous! 13.5 ABV was undrinkable on delivery, wish I had a cellar full of these.

Did you pick up any of the 2012? I need to get some Chicagoans to split a case with me so we can get the $20 a bottle price.

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Remember he's a baby-killer

PFFFTT coming from the guy who has been drinking a OLD nasty raisiny port like Shiraz for the last two days
BTW I did not hear you complaining when you were drinking the 2009 Vieux Télégraphe!

tytiger58

jmdavidson wrote:Did you pick up any of the 2012? I need to get some Chicagoans to split a case with me so we can get the $20 a bottle price.

I am getting some of the 12 GSM's and I really liked the 11's, but this 10 is 100% Mourvedre and killer IMHO. Wish Paul would make some more of this.

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:2008 La Pèira en Damaisèla Coteaux du Languedoc Les Terrasses du Larzac Les Obriers de La Pèira

They can't fit all that on a bottle.

CT

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:PFFFTT coming from the guy who has been drinking a OLD nasty raisiny port like Shiraz for the last two days
BTW I did not hear you complaining when you were drinking the 2009 Vieux Télégraphe!

It was a flyer on something from the K&L insider's list. Way better the second day...apparently it just needed a bunch of air.

The 09 Vieux Telegraphe was great...but would be even better in about 5-10

Also finished off the Pacific Rim Wallula Riesling that's been open for a while, the 2001 Eppalock Shiraz, and now opened a 2000 Roche Merlot. Way darker than the 2005, but delicious.

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

2009 Super Hero Wines InZINerator...It went very well with roasted chicken, roasted brussel spouts, and roasted potato.

Everything was roasted and I didn't get toasted!

tytiger58

klezman wrote:It was a flyer on something from the K&L insider's list. Way better the second day...apparently it just needed a bunch of air.

The 09 Vieux Telegraphe was great...but would be even better in about 5-10

Also finished off the Pacific Rim Wallula Riesling that's been open for a while, the 2001 Eppalock Shiraz, and now opened a 2000 Roche Merlot. Way darker than the 2005, but delicious.

When we open the second bottle in a few years you will be happy to see the progression of the wine (i hope) or you will be happy you got to try it when it was good

I keed I keed and no need to explain I buy plenty of plonk in my search for the perfect bottle. The only difference is I never give a bottle a second chance, it goes straight down the drain.

tytiger58

2010 Copain Pinot Noir Les Voisins Anderson Valley

cortot20

Pinkie swear with some grilled chicken and zucchini.

CT

klezman

2011 Sojourn Sonoma Coast Pinor Noir with pan seared salmon. Yum. Damn.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

Tasted through some experimental wines that are produced by the Ohio State University's OARDC (Ohio Agricultural Research & Development Center) for analytical/research purposes;

2013 OARDC Pinot Gris
2013 OARDC Chardonnay (oaked)
2013 OARDC Chardonnay (unoaked)
2013 OARDC Arneis
2013 OARDC Grüner Veltliner
2013 OARDC Siegerrebe
2013 OARDC Chambourcin Rosé
2013 OARDC Gamay Noir
2013 OARDC Syrah
2013 OARDC Teroldego
2013 OARDC Cabernet Franc

We also tasted a few local Ohio commercial wines;

2012 Ferrante Golden Bunches Dry Riesling
2008 Debonne Vineyards Chambourcin
2010 Valley Vineyards Syrah
2009 Ferrante Cabernet Franc

Good times

tytiger58

2010 Bodegas y Viñedos Maurodos Toro Prima

klezman

Tried a few things tonight:
Lincourt Unoaked Chard
Edna Valley Pinot, winery name escaping me at the moment
Justin Cab (which specific one, it didn't say)
Finished off the 2000 Roche Merlot from the other night

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:
Finished off the 2000 Roche Merlot from the other night

I keep looking at that Roche that's in the 'near-term' cooler. Can I move it to mid or longer term storage, or pull the cork?

How was it?

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:I keep looking at that Roche that's in the 'near-term' cooler. Can I move it to mid or longer term storage, or pull the cork?

How was it?

You can do either. The one I just opened was surprisingly plummy given the other Roche Merlots I've had. Very tasty, and I suspect there's a fair bit of bottle variation. It's got some secondary notes but still drinking nice and young.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

2008 Saxon Brown One Oak Vineyard Zinfandel. Drinking well.

Having tasted multiple zins from all over Cali, I find that I'm not a huge fan of the fruit bombs. This is nice. The Pedroncelli and Dry Creek zins have been nice. If I want a bold zin, Turley fits the bill. Scott Harvey's zins are my favorites. He really has that grape mastered.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
chipgreen wrote:Tasted through some experimental wines that are produced by the Ohio State University's OARDC (Ohio Agricultural Research & Development Center) for analytical/research purposes;

2013 OARDC Pinot Gris
2013 OARDC Chardonnay (oaked)
2013 OARDC Chardonnay (unoaked)
2013 OARDC Arneis
2013 OARDC Grüner Veltliner
2013 OARDC Siegerrebe
2013 OARDC Chambourcin Rosé
2013 OARDC Gamay Noir
2013 OARDC Syrah
2013 OARDC Teroldego
2013 OARDC Cabernet Franc

We also tasted a few local Ohio commercial wines;

2012 Ferrante Golden Bunches Dry Riesling
2008 Debonne Vineyards Chambourcin
2010 Valley Vineyards Syrah
2009 Ferrante Cabernet Franc

Good times

Wow. Ohio wine.
When I was a kid my parents used to get a really sweet Catawba wine from some winery in Avon Lake.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Wow. Ohio wine.
When I was a kid my parents used to get a really sweet Catawba wine from some winery in Avon Lake.

Probably Klingshirn Winery. The other Avon Lake winery is John Christ but I think Klingshirn is known for their Pink Catawba.

tytiger58

2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast want to see what i'm getting into?

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:2011 Siduri Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast want to see what i'm getting into?

Please report back. I want to know what I'm getting into.

cortot20

2010 municipal winemakers dark red with teppan.

CT

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Please report back. I want to know what I'm getting into.

.this.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

2011 Lincourt Pinot Noir, Annie Dyer. Nice!

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

Ditto, but I'm not committed

I'm sipping on a 2012 Dry Riesling from Ravines Winery in the Finger Lakes. Laser-like acidity. Needs to warm up from fridge temp but it's delicious.

Later we're opening a 2009 Murgatroyd.

tytiger58

o.k. because i'm old as hell and I have softball with my daughter all day tomorrow I started with this bottle around 3:30 pacific coast time. PNP great pinot funk and earth on the nose, light to medium body crunchy red fruit silky and earthy (Sonoma Coast), 2 hours in with Pesto pasta and garlic chicken this bottle is rockin The food really brings out the fruit and acid, strawberry/ blackberry and a hint of tart cherry/ earth, drink this with FOOD. This wine is young and is screwcap...booo I really love the sound of the pop of a cork, and no Kyle I don't think TCA is part of the fun of collecting.

From what I have recently read RP says a wine cannot be great unless it's 14.0 ABV +, this may not be great he is wrong

This baby clocks in at 12.9 ABV and I could drink the whole bottle by myself...ooop's I did, I will be a buyer good night Gracie.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:o.k. because i'm old as hell and I have softball with my daughter all day tomorrow I started with this bottle around 3:30 pacific coast time. PNP great pinot funk and earth on the nose, light to medium body crunchy red fruit silky and earthy (Sonoma Coast), 2 hours in with Pesto pasta and garlic chicken this bottle is rockin The food really brings out the fruit and acid, strawberry/ blackberry and a hint of tart cherry/ earth, drink this with FOOD. This wine is young and is screwcap...booo I really love the sound of the pop of a cork, and no Kyle I don't think TCA is part of the fun of collecting.

From what I have recently read RP says a wine cannot be great unless it's 14.0 ABV +, this may not be great he is wrong

This baby clocks in at 12.9 ABV and I could drink the whole bottle by myself...ooop's I did, I will be a buyer good night Gracie.

12.9%. Wow. Sounds like Siduri is my for sure PN purchase this BD.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:o.k. because i'm old as hell and I have softball with my daughter all day tomorrow I started with this bottle around 3:30 pacific coast time. PNP great pinot funk and earth on the nose, light to medium body crunchy red fruit silky and earthy (Sonoma Coast), 2 hours in with Pesto pasta and garlic chicken this bottle is rockin The food really brings out the fruit and acid, strawberry/ blackberry and a hint of tart cherry/ earth, drink this with FOOD. This wine is young and is screwcap...booo I really love the sound of the pop of a cork, and no Kyle I don't think TCA is part of the fun of collecting.

I visited Siduri's warehouse style tasting room in Santa Rosa about 4 years ago before I became a bit more educated about vino. Nevertheless, I could tell they were passionate about their wines and that they had a positive pedigree in the industry...could not afford their retail then nor now so Berserkers looks like a great way to get their offerings

"The older I get the better I was"

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

1/3 bottle of Pedroncelli Zin (left from last night's dinner) went in to the jus of the Leg-o-lamb. Lewis & Llewellen 2004 PS with dinner, and a glass or two of the Pedronelli vintage 2007 port Four Grapes (left from last week). Delish!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2009 Coordinates Cab Franc (from here)

This is by no means a complex wine but I really enjoyed it this evening. It has all the notes up front that you'd expect from any lightly oaked cab sauv but there is a good tannin structure (drying, light to medium quantity) and this slight tinge of green throughout to make things more interesting (in a good way).

Made a VERY good "Tuesday night" wine for me tonight (working starting at 5am tomorrow)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

2005 McClean vineyards Paso Robles Syrah. Every time I open one of these or the 2007 I am so glad I loaded up when they were available.

rjquillin

With a light fresh vegetable pasta dish;
2003 Truchard Tempranillo
This is quite a tasty bottle. Plenty of dark fruits, a bit of wood/tannin and still crisp with acidity. I'd not at all be displeased with this at $15/btl, and at the woot price this was an absolute steal.

CT

tytiger58

2010 Luna Beberide Bierzo Art, in my limited experience I have not been a fan of Mencia, but this stuff is freaking delicious!

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

Sorry I can't be too specific but...
A '97 Turley Zin, It was definitely a Turley Zin, with some age on it. Lots of flavor, lots of fruit and amber edge in the glass. Very little sediment. Excellent.
Some 2008 Rothschild Bordeaux. Excellent nose. Excellent Bordeaux I'm told. Tasted flat to me, next to the Turley...I'm a New World kinda guy.
Cameron Hughes Lot 400 Napa Cabernet. I've really liked this one. Gotta Pop N Pour for a decent Cab with lots of Vanilla and good fruit and fine tanins. Dies out rapidly though. Can't save for tomorrow.