rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Excellent night...thanks Klez! I would have stayed but you booted us out or maybe it was because my SWMBO passed out at the table

Do tell, how was that Musar?

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
klezman wrote:Yeah, well tonight you missed the following:

2011 Geyser Peak River Ranches Sauvignon Blanc
2008 Twisted Oak Murgatroyd (38% each Mourvedre/Tempranillo, 24% Petit Verdot)
2000 Chateau Musar (yes, from Lebanon)
1998 Chateau de Beaucastel
2009 Woot Cellars D'onstpille le Black (I offered higher end, but folks wanted to taste it!)
1986 Chateau Doisy-Vedrines (Sauternes)

Followed that up with a mini tasting from 3 bottles of Pisco from our travels to Peru. Excellent evening. Too bad everybody left already!

Had a great time thanks for the great food and wine! The Saut was amazing! CdP and the Musar rocked.

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Do tell, how was that Musar?

Awesome

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

I met my German friend last night at our friends restaurant. We started the evening with a 2005 South African Cabernet Sauvignon. It was pleasant, quite fruity, tasted like a Cabernet. Then we hopped into the way back machine for a tour of some old Bordeaux. Many bottles were sampled among 7 people but a few stood out. The highlight of the evening was probably a 1934 Chateau La Fleur Figeac. It was hard to believe the wine was 79 years old. Sure it tasted old but it was still alive and a nice deep red color with nice dark fruit and smooth tannins, very nice balance. The other hit of the night was a 1947 Chateau Margaux. 1947 was a hot, difficult year in Bordeaux which of course produced the legendary '47 Cheval Blanc. The Margaux was a monster. Deep, dark color and huge tannins and prominent acidity. And that was after letting it breath for more than 2 hours. Nothing subtle about this beast, it reached out of the glass and grabbed you by the shirt and shook you. My friend lamented that at our age we will probably not be around to enjoy this wine when it is in its prime. I have had an '83 Margaux which was much more refined. After about 3 hours the wine calmed down a little and was quite nice, complex and tons of structure. We also cracked a bottle of a no name 1920 Bordeaux. The color had become a somewhat light ruby, almost pink but no brown but it tasted slightly oxidized. The amazing think was it still tasted mostly like wine, amazing for a 93 year old no name Bordeaux, although it was pretty well gone, it wasn't really offensive tasting, just tired. The oldest wine I have tasted prior to this was a couple of years ago, a 1927 Burgundy that was absolutely sublime.

My dogs like me, that is important.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat Beer

"The older I get the better I was"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2009 Scott Harvey J&S Reserve Barbera. Sublime.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2008 Finca Sandoval Manchuela I just like this wine in every vintage, great qpr

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
edlada wrote:I met my German friend last night at our friends restaurant. We started the evening with a 2005 South African Cabernet Sauvignon. It was pleasant, quite fruity, tasted like a Cabernet. Then we hopped into the way back machine for a tour of some old Bordeaux. Many bottles were sampled among 7 people but a few stood out. The highlight of the evening was probably a 1934 Chateau La Fleur Figeac. It was hard to believe the wine was 79 years old. Sure it tasted old but it was still alive and a nice deep red color with nice dark fruit and smooth tannins, very nice balance. The other hit of the night was a 1947 Chateau Margaux. 1947 was a hot, difficult year in Bordeaux which of course produced the legendary '47 Cheval Blanc. The Margaux was a monster. Deep, dark color and huge tannins and prominent acidity. And that was after letting it breath for more than 2 hours. Nothing subtle about this beast, it reached out of the glass and grabbed you by the shirt and shook you. My friend lamented that at our age we will probably not be around to enjoy this wine when it is in its prime. I have had an '83 Margaux which was much more refined. After about 3 hours the wine calmed down a little and was quite nice, complex and tons of structure. We also cracked a bottle of a no name 1920 Bordeaux. The color had become a somewhat light ruby, almost pink but no brown but it tasted slightly oxidized. The amazing think was it still tasted mostly like wine, amazing for a 93 year old no name Bordeaux, although it was pretty well gone, it wasn't really offensive tasting, just tired. The oldest wine I have tasted prior to this was a couple of years ago, a 1927 Burgundy that was absolutely sublime.

I need a German friend like yours!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

klezman

2001 Berberana Rioja Vine Alarde Reserva
2007 VJB Barbera, Mendocino

Both delicious in their own ways.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
otolith wrote:I need a German friend like yours!

PM for you.

My dogs like me, that is important.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

2010 Pacific Rim Winemakers Gewürztraminer
2010 Pacific Rim Winemakers Riesling
NV Rack & Riddle Sparkling Rosé
NV Rack & Riddle Brut

rjquillin

Out shopping for our traditional Japanese New Year, and saw this;
made me think of Bowtie

80% rice, 10% corn, 10% Hawthornberry.
No, not Japanese, but I'll try it just the same.
Hawthornberry..?
Might even have some good side benefits

CT

tytiger58

Charles de Cazanove Champagne Brut mag
Jean Edwards cabs
08 Caburino mag
god only knows what else!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
rjquillin wrote:Out shopping for our traditional Japanese New Year, and saw this;
made me think of Bowtie

Hawthornberry..?

Korean actually. I have no idea what it is but I can read the label.

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:Out shopping for our traditional Japanese New Year, and saw this;
made me think of Bowtie

Hawthornberry..?

I think it is Soju. If it is, enjoy, but watch out. It can have a mean side the next day. The ABV is on the low side for Soju though

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

A 1/2 bottle of sparkling wine that's been in the back of the fridge for a year or two. And an old bottle of van rockel raspberry sparkling wine. Both should be perfectly crappy for a New Years on a Wednesday. The mini pies around the fire pit should be good though.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

With the starters, with some reserved for toasting later on: Champagne Ployez-Jacquemart, .nv., extra quality brut; with dinner, 2011 Clos La Coutale. We were advised by the knowledgeable Frenchman in our local wine shop that a Cahors was the way to go with cassoulet, and who were we to argue? Turned out to be a great choice.

rjquillin

CAGrl wrote:Korean actually. I have no idea what it is but I can read the label.

Yes, it is Korean, picked it up at the new Zion here that is HUGE.
Links for CT and Producer Baesangmyun Brewery Co.

bkarlan wrote:I think it is Soju. If it is, enjoy, but watch out. It can have a mean side the next day. The ABV is on the low side for Soju though

Definately not Soju or Shochu.
Good link here from SakeOne. Shochu I've had is either mugi or imo based and generally at least 40 proof, and yes, will kick your butt if you're not careful.

It looks very much the color of a Chard, light to medium straw. Drinks pretty much like saké but with with a funny nose of ethanol and something else, mildly sweet with some fruit that must be the hasthornberry.

Not a good match with traditional New Year's eve Japanese Soba I've been doing now for ~35+ years.
Saké coming right up!

CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
rjquillin wrote:Definately not Soju or Shochu.
Good link here from SakeOne. Shochu I've had is either mugi or imo based and generally at least 40 proof, and yes, will kick your butt if you're not careful.

It looks very much the color of a Chard, light to medium straw. Drinks pretty much like saké but with with a funny nose of ethanol and something else, mildly sweet with some fruit that must be the hasthornberry.

Not a good match with traditional New Year's eve Japanese Soba I've been doing now for ~35+ years.
Saké coming right up!

Yeah. Knew it wasn't soju. Glad to hear about it. I might look for it one of these day.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:We were advised by the knowledgeable Frenchman in our local wine shop that a Cahors was the way to go with cassoulet, and who were we to argue? Turned out to be a great choice.

Absolutely!
Many great memories of cassoulet and Cahors when I worked in Toulouse years ago.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

opened a Iron Horse Wedding Cuvee ...yummm! Planning on bringing the new year in right!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Amapola Creek CS, Estate Bottling

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

N.V. Stein Family Wines Moscato "Magic Hour" with pork roast, au gratin potatoes, green beans, noodles and sauerkraut.
2010 Woot Cellars Zinfandel Vinito del Finito with chocolate cake a la mode while watching "Life of Pi".

otolith

2011 Schramsburg blanc de blancs brut
2009 Silver Oak, Alexander Valley

Both were excellent! I think I like the Alexander Valler Cab better than its Napa counterpart.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

We opened 6 bottles of juice last night and thoroughly enjoyed everything!! the Knot Wines Sparkling and Blitzen were the favorites of the evening! Happy New Year!

-2009 Woot Cellars Blitzen
-2008 Flying Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Escadrille Cuvee
-NV Knot Wines Knot Wines Halyard Brut Sparkling
-1996 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Espressione
-2011 Arrington Vineyards Sparkle!
Fruit/Vegetable Wine
-2012 Arrington Vineyards Blackberry Blackberry Dessert Wine

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

kylemittskus

kylemittskus wrote:2009 Amapola Creek CS, Estate Bottling

+ 07 Sinnet Rose before dinner by the pool. This stuff is delicious.

klezman

A bottle of young but ready to drink Syrah tytiger gave us, which also went well with pork chops. Then a 2004 Vin Santo del Chianti, and finished off with some Strathmill 11 year old, independent bottling, that went well with the Hobbit.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

For New Years had the following:

2009 Woot Cellars Tøøthstejnn The Red
2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch
2007 Renwood Viognier Lodi
2007 Iron Horse Vineyards Classic Vintage Brut

For Christmas also had:

2009 Woot Cellars Blitzen
2008 Kent Rasmussen Esoterica Vermelho Forte

While I had hoped Kyle's last bottle of the Tallulah Syrah was a fluke, alas, he was correct and this wine was over the hill. It went from bold, juicy and wonderfully delicious, to dead and almost no fruit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Also will be drinking something sweet tonight that cannot yet be disclosed.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

North316 wrote:Also will be drinking something sweet tonight that cannot yet be disclosed.

PM

CT

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:+ 07 Sinnet Rose before dinner by the pool. This stuff is delicious.

Trying to think of something snarky to say, but am coming up blank.

--John Muir

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:+ 07 Sinnet Rose before dinner by the pool. This stuff is delicious.

Did you give me a bottle or two of these??

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Some Reposado, some Anejo, and some Silver.

Yep it was a tequila night.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

Saké!
Copious quantities of various saké.
All toll, close to an issho-bin.
That's what you do with a full on Japanese meal.
Sashimi, sushi and far too many other tasty treats.

Oh, and a bit of LH Muscat to chase down some dessert.

CT

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Did you give me a bottle or two of these??

You have one. I only bought two. Very interesting style. Copper color, creamy texture, delicious!

kylemittskus

Taking with us to a mountain cabin this weekend with two of our best friends:

-2008 Jean Edwards Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Seventy Four - Forty One Napa Valley
-2009 Coleman Nicole Pinot Noir Morris Ranch Vineyard
-2006 Bodegas y Viñedos Maurodos Toro Viña San Román
-2010 Turley Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard
-1980 Gould Campbell Porto Vintage

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Taking with us to a mountain cabin this weekend with two of our best friends:

-2008 Jean Edwards Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Seventy Four - Forty One Napa Valley
-2009 Coleman Nicole Pinot Noir Morris Ranch Vineyard
-2006 Bodegas y Viñedos Maurodos Toro Viña San Román
-2010 Turley Zinfandel Pesenti Vineyard
-1980 Gould Campbell Porto Vintage

Now that's the way to treat your friends

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Now that's the way to treat your friends

Like most of us here, they appreciate such things, so it's a pleasure to share. You, of course, know the fun that comes with sharing your good stuff with others.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Like most of us here, they appreciate such things, so it's a pleasure to share. You, of course, know the fun that comes with sharing your good stuff with others.

Truth.
Let me know how that 1980 Gould Campbell is doing. I have some 1980 Taylor Fladgate that I will be looking to drink one of these days.

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Toothstejnn 2 with a grilled tri-tip and roasted asparagus.

CT