cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
losthighwayz wrote:Wine dinner vinos:
Korbel Brut
Tercero Grenache Blanc
Core Grenache Reserve

Edit: just finished laying out toys for my boys and "eating" carrots, cookies, and milk they left out.

Why would you lead them to believe that Santa likes carrots? Look at the gut on that guy. Now they know you're full of it.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
losthighwayz wrote:Wine dinner vinos:
Korbel Brut
Tercero Grenache Blanc
Core Grenache Reserve

Edit: just finished laying out toys for my boys and "eating" carrots, cookies, and milk they left out.

Good times carrots??

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Good times carrots??

For the reindeer, weirdos!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

Last night: 2008 Tercero Mourvèdre Camp 4 Vineyard

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

Last night: 2007 McClean Vineyards Syrah Estate Private Reserve

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:For the reindeer, weirdos!

Leave it to one of the resident Jewish guys to know this.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:Leave it to one of the resident Jewish guys to know this.

Ha!!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last night we enjoyed a nice bottle of local Russanne with fresh Mendocino crab.

After dinner, I opened a bottle of 1995 Pine Ridge Merlot Crimson Creek. Turned out to be a stellar bottle of vintage Napa juice. More like a right bank Bordeaux with 79% Merlot, 13% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
losthighwayz wrote:Did you find the Twisted Oak Tempranillo to be overly oaked like I did? Curious since I couldnt finish one glass!

Overly oaked? No, not at all. It is pretty young, though. I'd give it another 6-8 months before I start opening my own bottles of that. I've still got one bottle remaining of a 2006 Tempranillo that is still in a nice window.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

After Midnight Mass, and getting to sleep around 3 AM, slept in and are enjoying a laid back Christmas at home, just the 2 of us. Breakfast (!) at 12:30, continuing the decorating and opening gifts, finally got around to snacks/appetizers at about 7. Shrimp and sausage stuffed mushrooms with a bottle of '08 Iron Horse Winter's Cuvée. Later, a prime rib roast using the method mother posted last week, and a bottle of '97 Opus One. We'll see what happens after that.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

A modest selection

• NV Rack & Riddle Sparkling Rosé
  • 2010 Jelly Jar Zinfandel
  • 2008 Praxis Pinot Noir
  • 2007 Kunde Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Valley
  • 2003 Cellers Fuentes Priorat Les Mines
I mentioned earlier these were mostly cola drinkers...
Not a single wine glass was to be had!
Next time I know to bring decanters, glasses, as well as the fluid.

But we had a great time plinking with some rim fire and 357 pistols, as well as and a big ugly 9mm 'assault looking' carbine that absolutely hit dead on what it was pointed at.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Opened a 1991 BV Georges de Latour. A little/lot past its prime. Suspect a little cork taint. Nice nose with some fruit on the palate, but not a ton going on.

Also opened a Wellington '05 CS from the HD vineyard. That is a nice wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

2002 Panza Petite Syrah, Stags' Leap Ranch
1997 Ardente Cabernet Sauvignon
1989 Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve
2010 Scott Harvey Zinfandel Old Vine Reserve

All were very nice....
Apps included some shrimp cocktail and grilled oysters with a dab of asiago cheese
Dinner consisted of some cheese ravioli's, grilled Delmonico steaks, twice-baked stuffed potatoes, and oven roasted brussel sprouts followed by carmel pecan pie and chocolate cake for dessert...
No scale for a few days!

cortot20

07' McClean estate Syrah
And a nice big glass of an 08' miner red blend that my uncle was trying to hide behind his wine bag off the bar. If you bring it you better plan on sharing it!

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:For the reindeer, weirdos!

I took the carrots and repurposed them into tonight's roast- my daughter and the reindeer were none the wiser.

While cooking- JCB #69 Brut Rose
Tonight '02 Viader.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rjquillin

Second supper...
and back at home with proper glassware finishing off the

• 2008 Praxis Pinot Noir
and the (yum)
  • 2011 Halcon Vineyards Prado Alder Springs Vineyard
    Can't wait for the 2012 release next month

Then on to a Muscat/Moscato/Vignoles/Semillon desert tasting
  • 2012 Concha y Toro Moscatel de Alejandría
  • 2009 Late Harvest coming up soon
  • 2009 Trader Joe's Moscato Late Harvest
  • 2007 Hunt Country Vineyards Vignoles Late Harvest
  • 2010 Waterbrook Sémillon Late Harvest Sémillon Walla Walla Valley
  • NV Quady Winery Orange Muscat Essensia

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

We had several wines with Prime Rib today.

Cranberry Wine - Yes, like cranberry juice with wine.

C.G. DiArie Rose - Nom, nom. Gave one to sis, and we opened it today.

2004 Little Vineyards Cab. - Nom, Nom, Nom.

2006 Ty Caton PS - NOM, NOM, NOM.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

Bison steaks, truffle-mushroom-goat cheese mac and cheese with 2000 Ridge Monte Bello. Yum.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:After Midnight Mass, and getting to sleep around 3 AM, slept in and are enjoying a laid back Christmas at home, just the 2 of us. Breakfast (!) at 12:30, continuing the decorating and opening gifts, finally got around to snacks/appetizers at about 7. Shrimp and sausage stuffed mushrooms with a bottle of '08 Iron Horse Winter's Cuvée. Later, a prime rib roast using the method mother posted last week, and a bottle of '97 Opus One. We'll see what happens after that.

Took longer than planned to get dinner ready, but totally worth it. The prime rib was fabulous (thanks, mother, for the recipe), the Opus One was perfect with it. After dinner, some Beehive Cheese Co. Promontory, with a bottle of Alvear Pedro Ximénez Montilla-Moriles Solera 1927. That wine is pure heavenly nectar.

cortot20

1/2 bottles from the last couple of nights + a 2010 scott harvey mountain barbera

CT

tytiger58

Tonight with SIL
2001 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904
2004 Seavey Cab

klezman

End of a bottle of Black Sheep Finds 2011 Genuine Risk (Santa Ynez Bdx blend), then with the forthcoming ribs, we'll open a bottle of 2007 Vineyard 1869.

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

With best friends last night:
2010 Scott Harvey Barbera Mountain Selection
2008 Geyser Peak Block Collection Walking Tree Petite Sirah
2007 Eagles Trace Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 McClean Vineyards Reserve Syrah

All excellent with the various food pairings and company.

cortot20

Tonight finishing off the barbera and opening up a cab of some sort to go with some nice ny steaks.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen

Ron, my cellar is like your cellar's baby brother. What were your general impressions of the following wines that we have in common which I have not yet tried?

• NV Rack & Riddle Sparkling Rosé (considering this for New Year's)
  • 2008 Praxis Pinot Noir
  • 2007 Kunde Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (had the '09 on rpm tour)

Also curious as to how you liked the Hunt Country LH Vignoles. That one I have had several times, it's one of my favorite dessert wines.

chipgreen

Tonight;
2010 Cameron Hughes Zinfandel Lot 291

Tomorrow;
2007 Gann Family Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Spring Hill
2009 Woot Cellars Blitzen
N.V. SakéOne Momokawa Organic Nigori Junmai Ginjo

cortot20

98' Monticello napa cab. Jefferson cuvée with good friends for a birthday.

CT

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Ron, my cellar is like your cellar's baby brother. What were your general impressions of the following wines that we have in common which I have not yet tried?
  • NV Rack & Riddle Sparkling Rosé (considering this for New Year's)
  • 2008 Praxis Pinot Noir
  • 2007 Kunde Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (had the '09 on rpm tour)

Also curious as to how you liked the Hunt Country LH Vignoles. That one I have had several times, it's one of my favorite dessert wines.

Understand ~nothing~ was drunk from a wine glass, but rather 3~4 ounce mini glasses.
R&R, better than the Michigan stuff, but doesn't match IH; no surprise there. Pleasant and simple, nothing objectionable.
Praxis, pretty typical PN, nothing memorable or objectionable. Not a lot of fruit, and lacking the earth/funk I like.
Kunde, P&P kinda green with a bit of chemical something that dissipated quickly. Dark fruits with some oak/tannin, decent finish. Need to revisit this one.
Quady, only had a sip, another one to revisit, but went well in the horizontal the other night.
Just re-tasting now, with some sweetish gooey cake/pie thing SWMBO made that needed more time in the oven; gobs of tasty fruit, light on the palate, could use a bit more acid to balance, but at the price we paid for this would buy again in an instant.

This was not a afternoon for tasting, far from it, everything was enjoyed and nothing was objectionable, or memorable for that matter.

Hunt, yeah, gotta get some more.

CT

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Understand ~nothing~ was drunk from a wine glass, but rather 3~4 ounce mini glasses.
R&R, better than the Michigan stuff, but doesn't match IH; no surprise there. Pleasant and simple, nothing objectionable.
Praxis, pretty typical PN, nothing memorable or objectionable. Not a lot of fruit, and lacking the earth/funk I like.
Kunde, P&P kinda green with a bit of chemical something that dissipated quickly. Dark fruits with some oak/tannin, decent finish. Need to revisit this one.
Quady, only had a sip, another one to revisit, but went well in the horizontal the other night.
Just re-tasting now, with some sweetish gooey cake/pie thing SWMBO made that needed more time in the oven; gobs of tasty fruit, light on the palate, could use a bit more acid to balance, but at the price we paid for this would buy again in an instant.

This was not a afternoon for tasting, far from it, everything was enjoyed and nothing was objectionable, or memorable for that matter.

Hunt, yeah, gotta get some more.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll sit on that Kunde for awhile longer but I'm thinking I better get to the Praxis soon.

klezman

2009 Twisted Oak Carignane. Big, fruity, delicious, as expected from El Jefe. I don't know the varietal well enough to know if it's typical, but it sure is tasty.

SoCal folks...see the pub...

cortot20

cortot20 wrote:98' Monticello napa cab. Jefferson cuvée with good friends for a birthday.

+ Weins white port.

CT

ddeuddeg

2000 Marietta Zinfandel, with grilled salmon (yes, we can use the grill in Buffalo in December). A real powerhouse, just what we've learned to expect from Marietta. Aging beautifully, it still had plenty of fruit, and even at 15.7%, didn't seem hot at all. Just a touch of raisin flavor, but one expects that in a Zin that old, and we like it that way. Yum!

otolith

2006 Ramer Cab
2007 Shafer Relentless
2008 El Nido Clio

Pretty good night of wine drinking!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:2006 Ramer Cab
2007 Shafer Relentless
2008 El Nido Clio

Pretty good night of wine drinking!

Baller.

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:Baller.

Ha!

My cousin picked out the wines!

--John Muir

diligent fish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages diligent fish

2008 Woot Adequate Gift

It's almost embarrassing how much Woot Wine I still have....

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:Ha!

My cousin picked out the wines!

Moocher?

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Baller.

Yeah, well tonight you missed the following:

2011 Geyser Peak River Ranches Sauvignon Blanc
2008 Twisted Oak Murgatroyd (38% each Mourvedre/Tempranillo, 24% Petit Verdot)
2000 Chateau Musar (yes, from Lebanon)
1998 Chateau de Beaucastel
2009 Woot Cellars D'onstpille le Black (I offered higher end, but folks wanted to taste it!)
1986 Chateau Doisy-Vedrines (Sauternes)

Followed that up with a mini tasting from 3 bottles of Pisco from our travels to Peru. Excellent evening. Too bad everybody left already!

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Excellent evening. Too bad everybody left already!

Damn, sorry I missed it, but have pity, I'm still pounding in financials for year end...

CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Yeah, well tonight you missed the following:

2011 Geyser Peak River Ranches Sauvignon Blanc
2008 Twisted Oak Murgatroyd (38% each Mourvedre/Tempranillo, 24% Petit Verdot)
2000 Chateau Musar (yes, from Lebanon)
1998 Chateau de Beaucastel
2009 Woot Cellars D'onstpille le Black (I offered higher end, but folks wanted to taste it!)
1986 Chateau Doisy-Vedrines (Sauternes)

Followed that up with a mini tasting from 3 bottles of Pisco from our travels to Peru. Excellent evening. Too bad everybody left already!

Excellent night...thanks Klez! I would have stayed but you booted us out or maybe it was because my SWMBO passed out at the table