tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Surprising. Not brooding, not tannic, not monstrous. Very approachable and very savory. I'm not sure it's going to get better with more age -- again, surprising since it's an 08! Right up our alley, even if it lacks a little of the bite. QPR city.

Love the savory note in syrah! And I think these QPR N. Rhones are not made to age which as you might know, I really love that

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
ERMD wrote:Well you talked me into it, not that I needed much prodding .

2003 Corison Cab.

Wow

If you have a chance when you're up here, stop on by for a glass, or two. 🍷

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

NV H.M. Borges Madeira Medium Dry Rainwater

I now understand the term "rainwater" that I think half fills the bottle.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

12' Ramsay north coast PN

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

2009 Tobin James Silver Reserve Lagrein for SWMBO (prune-y mess but she liked it)

Maker's for me. And later, some tea for both of us.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

2010 Chateau Montelena Cab. It was ok.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

Something I put into an old MM split who knows how long ago, with Ar. Damn tasty but I have no idea what it is... I really can suck at this.

CT

cortot20

Tonight a 2010 Gewürztraminer coming soon to a woot near you. With grown up grill cheese sandwiches and tomato basil soup.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

2011 Halcon Alturas Estate Syrah

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:2011 Halcon Alturas Estate Syrah

A baby! (I've read it's drinking beautifully right now, though.)

jmdavidson

kylemittskus wrote:A baby! (I've read it's drinking beautifully right now, though.)

I got my first shipment back when WB had their winter event. Just got my second shipment, so I had to open one to see what the fuss was about. A really nice syrah that is approachable now with a short decant.

fifisoda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fifisoda

Turley 2011 Juvenile Zin

my first Turley..very excited

kylemittskus

fifisoda wrote:Turley 2011 Juvenile Zin

my first Turley..very excited

I'm a big fan of Turley, but I wasn't impressed with that bottle. Curious what you think.

fifisoda

kylemittskus wrote:I'm a big fan of Turley, but I wasn't impressed with that bottle. Curious what you think.

Will do! I could open the 2006 Atlas Mead or the 2012 Zin?? Have you tried those?

kylemittskus

fifisoda wrote:Will do! I could open the 2006 Atlas Mead or the 2012 Zin?? Have you tried those?

I'd bet the 06 is really pretty right now. I haven't received any of my '12s yet.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Pedroncelli ps 08

rc70

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

97 Ardente CS - wonderful,very glad I
stockpiled these on the last go round of Ardente. The coming winter will be much more enjoyable !

fifisoda

kylemittskus wrote:I'd bet the 06 is really pretty right now. I haven't received any of my '12s yet.

So I did go with the 06 and it was very nice. Not mind blowing..but nice. Smooth but I won't sit on the second bottle of it for too long.

edlada

quality posts: 6 Private Messages edlada

1955 Chateau Brane-Cantenac (Margaux, Bordeaux)
1934 Chateau Pichon-Longueville (Pauillac, Bordeaux)
1953 Cotes du Rhone

Today is my birthday. I was just getting ready for bed last night, about 11:30 p.m., my wife had just come home after a concert with her choir. I heard my wife come in and then I heard another voice. We hadn't talked about anyone coming after the concert as sometime happens, so I was curious. I came downstairs and there was my German friend with a box of wine. He had spontaneously decided to come by to help celebrate my birthday. What a pleasant surprise.

We started with the '55 Bordeaux, which is my birth year. We have tried many 1955 wines and for some reason they were all over the hill or otherwise undrinkable. My friend was born in 1959 and we have had many nice wines from that year but the '55s were always bad. Finally we found one that was drinkable, the wine was not great but not bad, still some fruit, nice round tannins and plenty of old wine taste, leather, cedar and cellar funk (in a nice way). Then my friend opened the 1934 Bordeaux. The fill was good and we had high hopes. The color was a little brown, the first sniff revealed lots of cellar funk, a hint of oxidation and alas a whiff of Brett. There was still some fruit, the tannins were rounded almost out of existence but the acid was good. I didn't mind the hint of brett on the finish but my friend found it to be too much and after a glass we put the decanter aside. Altogether amazing that a wine that old was still drinkable, sad about the brett. The last bottle was the Cote du Rhone. You don't usually think about a Cote du Rhone that is 60 years old but this one was remarkable. The color was bright red with a tinge of pink and the nose revealed some very nice spice notes that were present in the taste as well and some nice hints of pepper. The wine didn't have the complexity of an old Bordeaux but it was quite pleasant to drink and a nice way to end the evening. To paraphrase from Forest Gump; Drinking old wine is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. All in all a wonderful surprise to start my birthday and a pleasant evening. As my older sister told me, nobody likes getting old but considering the alternative, everyone likes getting older.

My friend has extended an open invitation to any wine wooters that happen to find themselves in the Berlin area for a night of wine tasting. We can arrange transportation (from Berlin) and accommodation, food and wine at no cost, you just need to show up. I can guarantee it would be an evening you will never forget. Yeah, I am looking at you in particular D & B from Buffalo, but all are welcome.

My dogs like me, that is important.

tytiger58

edlada wrote:1955 Chateau Brane-Cantenac (Margaux, Bordeaux)
1934 Chateau Pichon-Longueville (Pauillac, Bordeaux)
1953 Cotes du Rhone

Today is my birthday. I was just getting ready for bed last night, about 11:30 p.m., my wife had just come home after a concert with her choir. I heard my wife come in and then I heard another voice. We hadn't talked about anyone coming after the concert as sometime happens, so I was curious. I came downstairs and there was my German friend with a box of wine. He had spontaneously decided to come by to help celebrate my birthday. What a pleasant surprise.

We started with the '55 Bordeaux, which is my birth year. We have tried many 1955 wines and for some reason they were all over the hill or otherwise undrinkable. My friend was born in 1959 and we have had many nice wines from that year but the '55s were always bad. Finally we found one that was drinkable, the wine was not great but not bad, still some fruit, nice round tannins and plenty of old wine taste, leather, cedar and cellar funk (in a nice way). Then my friend opened the 1934 Bordeaux. The fill was good and we had high hopes. The color was a little brown, the first sniff revealed lots of cellar funk, a hint of oxidation and alas a whiff of Brett. There was still some fruit, the tannins were rounded almost out of existence but the acid was good. I didn't mind the hint of brett on the finish but my friend found it to be too much and after a glass we put the decanter aside. Altogether amazing that a wine that old was still drinkable, sad about the brett. The last bottle was the Cote du Rhone. You don't usually think about a Cote du Rhone that is 60 years old but this one was remarkable. The color was bright red with a tinge of pink and the nose revealed some very nice spice notes that were present in the taste as well and some nice hints of pepper. The wine didn't have the complexity of an old Bordeaux but it was quite pleasant to drink and a nice way to end the evening. To paraphrase from Forest Gump; Drinking old wine is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. All in all a wonderful surprise to start my birthday and a pleasant evening. As my older sister told me, nobody likes getting old but considering the alternative, everyone likes getting older.

My friend has extended an open invitation to any wine wooters that happen to find themselves in the Berlin area for a night of wine tasting. We can arrange transportation (from Berlin) and accommodation, food and wine at no cost, you just need to show up. I can guarantee it would be an evening you will never forget. Yeah, I am looking at you in particular D & B from Buffalo, but all are welcome.

Good lord, it would seem this is a trip my wife and I need to make

edlada

tytiger58 wrote:Good lord, it would seem this is a trip my wife and I need to make

We wouldn't extend the offer if we weren't serious . My friend's cellar is quite large (around 4,000) bottles and we keep trying to drink it down. The only problem is he likes to look on E-Bay and keeps buying wine faster than we can drink it! He finds some real bargains on old wine and as he says, we are too old to buy young wine, we can't wait for it to age.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz

2005 Carver Sutro PS in decanter. 2011 J Keverson Arneis, Stanislaus County

"The older I get the better I was"

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Happy Birthday Edlada. I am also a 1959 birth year, so interested in what you had that was good.

And posting that we are drinking a 2008 Highway 12 Sonoma Blend seems so boring. Decent, but not as good as I expect from Highway 12. Their wines are usually so good, that I have high expectations.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

tytiger58

Edlada thank you for the offer and happy birthday! PM for you.

Tonight 06 San Roman Toro boy is this drinking well with steak! and 08 Jemrose Gloria's Gem in the decanter.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Edlada, HBD. What a glorious birthday treat!!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 63 Private Messages losthighwayz
tytiger58 wrote:Edlada thank you for the offer and happy birthday! PM for you.

Tonight 06 San Roman Toro boy is this drinking well with steak! and 08 Jemrose Gloria's Gem in the decanter.

Italian dinner soon? We missed you guys last night

"The older I get the better I was"

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

2007 McClean Syrah and it (unlike all other bottles) was not good. Anyone else get a bad bottle of this?

tytiger58

losthighwayz wrote:Italian dinner soon? We missed you guys last night

Yes! and no one missed last night more than us I will send a email out soon.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Got my LB hoard last week, and decided to pop a bottle of 2010 Jeff Runquist Petite Sirah "R" Enver Salman Vineyard tonight. This is damn good petite Sirah!

edlada

polarbear22 wrote:Happy Birthday Edlada. I am also a 1959 birth year, so interested in what you had that was good.

And posting that we are drinking a 2008 Highway 12 Sonoma Blend seems so boring. Decent, but not as good as I expect from Highway 12. Their wines are usually so good, that I have high expectations.

Hi PB. My friend has a particular passion for Bordeaux and Burgundy so if I can remember correctly, all of the '59s we have drunk were one or the other. 1959 was a great year in Bordeaux and the '59s are reputed to age very well. It is fairly easy to find old wine here in the 15 to 30 euro/bottle price range, my friend looks for bottles from the very good years. If the Chateaux Margaux was great in a given year, chances are the no name chateaux down the road is going to have good wine too. That is not to say we haven't enjoyed a bottle or two of the Chateaux Margaux too.

edlada

Thank you everybody for the birthday wishes!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bsevern wrote:Got my LB hoard last week, and decided to pop a bottle of 2010 Jeff Runquist Petite Sirah "R" Enver Salman Vineyard tonight. This is damn good petite Sirah!

I'm excited to try that one. Not sure when my hoard is shipping to Texas, but I'm almost scared about how much may be coming.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

2008 R. Merlo Trinity County Pinot Noir. Wow. Love it. It's totally distinct and different from almost every other wine I've had. Maybe that's the hook, but it's got an interesting savoury note to go along with the rest (I think there are leaves here - this is sous bois?). My only knock in this is that it doesn't scream Pinot to me, but maybe that's just the Trinity County terroir. Very interesting and glad I have another bottle.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
redwinefan wrote:I'm excited to try that one. Not sure when my hoard is shipping to Texas, but I'm almost scared about how much may be coming.

The Runquist Petite Sirah is killer!

I got four cases of juice from LB....now all the WTSO summer holds start trickling in over the next couple of months.....I'm sure my GF must think I'm crazy

cortot20

09' sobeit PN

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
bsevern wrote:The Runquist Petite Sirah is killer!

I got four cases of juice from LB....now all the WTSO summer holds start trickling in over the next couple of months.....I'm sure my GF must think I'm crazy

Just checked and see that I have 4 bottles of Runquist coming. Hopefully they'll run it again to stock up.

The UPS Store employees at my box already think I'm crazy, and whenever fall rolls around they want to know if I'm throwing a huge party due to all the wine shipments.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
redwinefan wrote:I'm excited to try that one. Not sure when my hoard is shipping to Texas, but I'm almost scared about how much may be coming.

I was thinking the same thing... I have no idea how much is coming.....maybe I should sign on and check...

jmdavidson

+1. Great price for tasty juice. I do think it was fading after being opened for about four to five hours. So, I would recommend drinking the whole bottle within a few hours of opening it.

And it just so happens that tonight I opened a bottle of 2010 Runquist Zin to go with chili. Excellent pairing.

rjquillin

That spare BR/wine locker filling up?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Guess I got my LB bottles early compared to others. They were going to ship them first week of October and I actually emailed to ask them to hold another week until I got back from vacation, so I received them about 2 weeks ago.

Only 16 bottles for me, should I feel good about that? Lol, I'm over 1,000 bottles now and I barely drink 2 per week. At that rate, it's 10 years worth of wine!

EDIT: drinking some 2010 Bodegas M Albarińo