soundmind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soundmind

McClean Vineyards Estate Private Reserve Syrah. Vertical from 2/22/2012. Amazing differences between the 2003 and 2005. Of course the Swordfish steaks, Risotto, and veggies were also amazingly different. But the wine even trumped the fish!

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Zaca Mesa Santa Ynez Valley Syrah 2007
Enjoyed with sparks nephew. Not much complexity but nice Dark fruit. Went well with summer BBQ.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin

Just too much, if that's possible.

Sashimi at my most favorite (Itamae has been feeding me for 27 years now) restaurant last night, with three drinking and one non-drinking.

Dusted two 1.8L issho-bin of sake. Started with a a couple masu of rather pedestrian and pre chilled
Kurosawa
while the quite good
Onikoroshi Junmai Daiginjo was chilling. Alas, it went entirely too rapidly and we were forced back to the Kurosawa.

A couple of single malts were also passed around and shared by others, as this is a quite small and very interactive sushi bar.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Ready to be opened: 2009 Turley Pesenti Vineyard Zin

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2004 Piancornello Brunello di Montalcino tastes like Tuscany

Would love to hear how that Turley is doing...ya baby killer

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:2004 Piancornello Brunello di Montalcino tastes like Tuscany

Would love to hear how that Turley is doing...ya baby killer

We didn't drink it. Too many people, too much beer. Back with his brothers he goes.

cortot20

Hopefully an 09' Municipal Winemakers Dark Red.

And it was.
6/24/2012: Decanted in glass for an hour. Bottles notes this as 50% cab. & 50% Syrah and its made in an Aussie style
Color is a beautiful deep red with a black core. Nose and palate is dominated by black currant and plum, and the nose carries a slight green streak which does not come through on the tongue. What does come through is medium to high tannins which were unexpected but gave the wine a wonderful mouth feel. silky smooth with a lip licking dryness on the finish. All in all highly recommended.

It was also used in cooking. Braised Chicken with mushrooms and tomato's out of the William Sonoma Wine and food by Joshua Wesson which turned out wonderfully. Fed my pregnant wife and all were happy.

CT

tytiger58

2011 Virage Rose

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

2010 St. Julian Pinot Grigio.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:2010 St. Julian Pinot Grigio.

Do tell, how is it? Have yet to pop a cork on mine.

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

2010 Stephan Ridge by L'Adventure. Really disappointed with this one. Tasted like grape gummy drops cleaned with dishwashing liquid.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

2003 Coume del Mas Banyuls

This stuff would be much better to cook some hot baked cinnamon apples with

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

redwinefan wrote:Tasted like grape gummy drops cleaned with dishwashing liquid.

best description ever

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

'03 Wellington Cuvée R Syrah, with grilled pork chops dusted with Java Gourmet turkey and more seasoning, grilled asparagus, and a terrific salad with fresh local lettuce. I love summer!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bkarlan

Just opened the glass closure on the Used auto parts since it was back on the Woot off.

I had to find out if it was any good before I threw down for some more.

I need some elk or deer to go with this.

kylemittskus

2010 Salvard Unique SB from the Loire (imported by Kermit Lynch)

Rocking tonight!

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Had a 2006 Twisted Oak @$!@^ (the red one). Started off a little awkward, but came into excellentness.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

had the Arcadian 05 Syrah last night while watching Wimbledon hightlights.

Intended to just have one glass. failed miserably.

bkarlan

Day 2 on the used auto parts. It is much better today. Maybe it could be the laid back mood.

cortot20

Full sail limited edition recipe #4 lager.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch

Good stuff.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
Winedavid39 wrote:had the Arcadian 05 Syrah last night while watching Wimbledon hightlights.

Intended to just have one glass. failed miserably.

Good to know. Not that you failed, lol. I was just given a bottle as a gift.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

The surprise of the afternoon (yah, we've started early) is our own 2011 CyberPub Cellars Rogue Rhone Blend.

Last minute guests (many) stopped by, and I pulled out 6 racks of already cooked BBQ'd baby back ribs, salad, chips, dips, etc. I already had over-chilled 2 bottles of the wine, to about 48-50 degrees, and then put in each glass a healthy twist of lemon rind, no pith. It is well received. I decide to put out a bottle of the wine, properly chilled, no lemon, and everyone enjoyed that, too, but commented on how the lemon actually added a nice acidity.

cortot20

Inspiration Vineyards 08' Carneros Pinot. Opened but resting. Will comeback later with notes.

Edit: 6/29/2012: Because the wine is unfined and unfiltered I stood it up for a week prior to opening. I could see the sediment neatly sitting at the bottom and we were ready to go. The nose upon first opening is of fresh cut strawberries and cherries. As it opened up I got a little smoke as well. The palate is very tart and very zippy and the flavors match the nose.

At first it seemed like a very light Pinot but as I looked at it under bright lights it was very concentrated at its core which makes sense since it really packs a punch. This is very well made wine but not in a style that I really enjoyed. This is on the lighter side of Cali pinots but the flavors are very strong. Nothing subtle here.

Solid if not excellent wine Jon.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

My CT notes on the Tallulah I noted above:

Aired in the bottle for about 30-45 minutes while dinner was cooking. Still a little muted and hot upon pouring but after another 20 minutes or so in the glass it quickly began to come together.

Color: If I only had color to go by I would of said this was a petite sirah. Very dark beautiful color.
Nose of blueberries and blackberries with a hint of baking spice; mostly cloves and nutmeg.
Taste: Nice fruit flavor with spices and hints of tobacco. Nice luscious, silky, mouthfeel, fairly short but pleasant finish with a bit of tartness.

Really enjoyable stuff and good QPR. Went very well with a Cajun rubbed rib-eye

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

klezman

Need something to go with my rack of lamb tonight. After finishing off last night's '07 Noceto Sangiovese Normale. Maybe an old Syrah or a Brunello or Barolo. Too bad I don't have any old CdP or proper Rhone.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Having a bottle of Hunt Cellars 2001 Reserve Cabernet, first with some Tallegio and peasant bread. Dinner is grass-fed ribeye, green beans (from the garden) and sweet potatoes topped w/ beau cheese. Surprisingly remarkable for a Paso wine (which I'm usually not a huge fan), 13.6%. Wonderful aged Cab characteristics of leather and spice. Fruit and tannin are still evident, but probably not too much life left in this one. I wish it had a bit more acidity, the finish has great potential, but then ends on a slightly sweet note (which I don't care for). It may lack the nuance and complexity of a nice aged Corison or Bordeaux, but this is a very good wine.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Just a tiny bit of the Jana Angel Eis, Riesling Ice Style Wine before I head out.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tytiger58

Domaine Du Pavillon Mercurol Crozes Hermitage

Earthy delicious black fruits low abv 12.5% perfect for a hot summer evening.

klezman

klezman wrote:Need something to go with my rack of lamb tonight. After finishing off last night's '07 Noceto Sangiovese Normale. Maybe an old Syrah or a Brunello or Barolo. Too bad I don't have any old CdP or proper Rhone.

Went with a 2005 Terre da Vino Barolo. Evolved nicely in the decanter and has many years left in it.

bkarlan

09 Ty red blend is decanting. Glass now to sample. Not too bad right out of the bottle. Great QPR on the red blend

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Wellington's Duke tonight. I swear every bottle of this tastes different to me, must be my mood

EDIT: What's up with the white space at the top????

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rjquillin

jhkey wrote:Wellington's Duke tonight. I swear every bottle of this tastes different to me, must be my mood

EDIT: What's up with the white space at the top????

I do like my Dukes. About a third thru my case and a half. What an absolutely great easy drinker with a QPR off the charts.

CT

klezman

Triacipedis & Minotaur's Chalice with Thai panang curry. I'm just not a huge fan of that wine...I haven't found the interesting bits after 3 bottles.

tytiger58

2008 C. Donatiello Floodgate Vineyard Pinot with grilled pizza.

kylemittskus

Tonight with blue cheese covered filet and sweet potato fries, I have planned:

2005 Fontes da Cunha Dão Munda

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Tonight with blue cheese covered filet and sweet potato fries, I have planned:

2005 Fontes da Cunha Dão Munda

I found that to be delicious! Not the filet the wine

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:I found that to be delicious! Not the filet the wine

Oh, s***. It's going to suck.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Oh, s***. It's going to suck.

Please pack up any remaining bottles and send to me!

kylemittskus

Tallulah Shake Ridge Vineyards Les Trois Voix

Tastes straight out of the S. Rhone. My palate is a' changin', though.