Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

Previous offer:
7/5/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote:Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of February 26th.

March
3/10: NorCal #12: Volcanic Terroir and/or Eastern European Finds

April
4/27-28: Ohio Wine Dinner with Scott and Jana Harvey
TBD: NoVA/DC #26: Theme TBD
TBD: NYC #19: Cool stuff mikegberg is going to miss on the tour

May
5/19: CyberPub Cellars 2011 Rogue Rhone Bottling- NEWEST Thread!

July
7/23-25: RPM's History Tour, Part 1
7/25-29: RPM's History Tour, Part 2
(Dates set, Deposits due 3/5)

Pending
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So create or join a W.W. Gathering now!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sfabian37

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sfabian37

$126 out the door from the winery to ship to CA location. Seems like a great deal here on woot.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Previous offer on the
2007 Estate Merlot and discuss from Jul 4 2011
and mill was #1 then as well...

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Almost 3 years in barrels. I wonder if the wine maker can tell us why so long? Also how much of that oak was new?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Since these wines are from Gilroy, what is the garlic percentage in them?

Also, are they Kosher?

CT

diosabellissima

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diosabellissima

Another red. C'mon, Woot!

stratma

quality posts: 11 Private Messages stratma

Notes from tastings.com
Jason-Stephens Winery 2007 Estate, Merlot, Santa Clara Valley $24
Now-3 Yrs from 2011-02-21
Deep garnet violet color. Jammy berry pie aromas laced with vanilla frosting and spices with a supple, fruity-yet-dry medium-to-full body and a tangy honeyed dried currant, plum skin, and earth accented finish with chewy, balanced tannins. A very polished and flavorful sipper or table wine.
WORLD WINE CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Gold Medal
RATING: 90 points (Exceptional)

Jason-Stephens Winery 2007 Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Clara Valley $28.
Now-3 Yrs from 2011-02-28
Sweet and savory aromas of chocolate covered currants, graham cracker, pencil, and pickled olive with a satiny, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a smooth, creamy, fine tannin finish. Effortlessly drinkable; pair New York strip steaks.

inod3

quality posts: 6 Private Messages inod3

I really enjoyed the 4-pack sampler they had July last year...

I must drink faster.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Gilroy is warmer and dryer than Napa. Definitely a wine on the big, oaky, ripe American style end of things.

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal

Now that I've been down-sized, I can be home for wine delivery. Also, I can drink it at any hour of the day. It's a win-win situation, I'd say.

Sautéed peppers, EH!?

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

lylesnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lylesnyder

What is the reason this is called a Bordeaux Mix? 1) It is grown and produced in Northern California 2) Its composition is hardly that of a typical Bordeaux (97% Cab Sav and 93% Merlot are both high on the non-blended side of things).

jasonstephenswinery

quality posts: 25 Private Messages jasonstephenswinery
cmaldoon wrote:Almost 3 years in barrels. I wonder if the wine maker can tell us why so long? Also how much of that oak was new?

These are a bit bigger wines, so they needed a little longer in the barrel to mellow out. I practice patience in wine maker. Never rush anything, the wine in time when it is ready.

jasonstephenswinery

sfabian37 wrote:$126 out the door from the winery to ship to CA location. Seems like a great deal here on woot.

This is an incredible deal!!! This is why Woot.com has put this offer together. These are great wines, especially for this price.

jasonstephenswinery

rjquillin wrote:Previous offer on the
2007 Estate Merlot and discuss from Jul 4 2011
and mill was #1 then as well...

Thanks! This is a great Merlot!! I am still one winemaker who loves Merlot!

jasonstephenswinery

cortot20 wrote:Since these wines are from Gilroy, what is the garlic percentage in them?

Also, are they Kosher?

These are not Kosher and no, just because we a located in Gilroy, that doesn't mean there is garlic in the wines!

jasonstephenswinery

lylesnyder wrote:What is the reason this is called a Bordeaux Mix? 1) It is grown and produced in Northern California 2) Its composition is hardly that of a typical Bordeaux (97% Cab Sav and 93% Merlot are both high on the non-blended side of things).

Caberent and Merlot are both wines typical of Bordeaux which is why Woot.com called this a Bordeaux Mix. Cabernet and Merlot represent the two most popular wines sold as well.

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie
jasonstephenswinery wrote:Caberent and Merlot are both wines typical of Bordeaux which is why Woot.com called this a Bordeaux Mix. Cabernet and Merlot represent the two most popular wines sold as well.

Since when is Syrah EVER in Bordeaux wine?

Just because it might have one of the Bdx varietals in it doesn't make it Bordeaux style.

Certified Wine Geek

lylesnyder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lylesnyder
jasonstephenswinery wrote:Caberent and Merlot are both wines typical of Bordeaux which is why Woot.com called this a Bordeaux Mix. Cabernet and Merlot represent the two most popular wines sold as well.

Yes, Cabernet and Merlot are grapes that are grown in the Bordeaux region of France (though they are typically blended much more than the percentages listed for both of these wines).

I have no doubt these are good wines. I have read the Cellar Tracker tasting notes and I am sure I would like them... and the price is right. However, these are not Bordeaux wines (they are from Northern California), nor are they even a Bordeaux style (blend composition not correct, and Syrah grapes?). I like good wine. However, I respect integrity much more. I would have likely ordered them. But the title given by Wine Woot is not only false, it is dishonest and misleading.

jasonstephenswinery

stratma wrote:Notes from tastings.com
Jason-Stephens Winery 2007 Estate, Merlot, Santa Clara Valley $24
Now-3 Yrs from 2011-02-21
Deep garnet violet color. Jammy berry pie aromas laced with vanilla frosting and spices with a supple, fruity-yet-dry medium-to-full body and a tangy honeyed dried currant, plum skin, and earth accented finish with chewy, balanced tannins. A very polished and flavorful sipper or table wine.

Jason-Stephens Winery 2007 Estate, Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Clara Valley $28.
Now-3 Yrs from 2011-02-28
Sweet and savory aromas of chocolate covered currants, graham cracker, pencil, and pickled olive with a satiny, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a smooth, creamy, fine tannin finish. Effortlessly drinkable; pair New York strip steaks.

THANKS FOR POSTING....I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THESE SCORES.

jasonstephenswinery

inod3 wrote:I really enjoyed the 4-pack sampler they had July last year...

I must drink faster.

I AM SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE WINES. OUR TAGLINE LINE IS "PALATE CRAFTED WINES" FOR A REASON

jasonstephenswinery

lylesnyder wrote:Yes, Cabernet and Merlot are grapes that are grown in the Bordeaux region of France (though they are typically blended much more than the percentages listed for both of these wines).

I have no doubt these are good wines. I have read the Cellar Tracker tasting notes and I am sure I would like them... and the price is right. However, these are not Bordeaux wines (they are from Northern California), nor are they even a Bordeaux style (blend composition not correct, and Syrah grapes?). I like good wine. However, I respect integrity much more. I would have likely ordered them. But the title given by Wine Woot is not only false, it is dishonest and misleading.

AGREED THAT THESE ARE NOT BORDEAUX WINES...I AM COMPLETELY CALIFORNIA...WOOT.COM WAS GOING FOR THE BORDEAUX "STYLE" MIX, NOT TRUE BORDEAUX WINES. I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. I AM SURE YOU WILL LIKE THE WINES THOUGH!!!

grapenutz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages grapenutz
lylesnyder wrote:the title given by Wine Woot is not only false, it is dishonest and misleading.

Isn't it common to see terms like "Bordeaux" and "Rhone" applied to New World wines to denote varietals and style? I feel like I've seen that in quite a few wine stores. If I go to Wine.com and click "Bordeaux Blends", it brings up wines from all over the world- US, South Africa and France amongst others.

twototee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages twototee
lylesnyder wrote:Yes, Cabernet and Merlot are grapes that are grown in the Bordeaux region of France (though they are typically blended much more than the percentages listed for both of these wines).

Really Snyder? How dare they? It's a good thing that they provide a great description of each of the wines and where the vineyard is because I was just about to click "I Want One" before I realized these grapes weren't from France. It could be that they meant Bordeaux (as in Cab and Merlot) Mix (as in two bottles of each).

Thanks to the winemaker for being here to answer questions.

I'm in for at least one.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
lylesnyder wrote: I would have likely ordered them. But the title given by Wine Woot is not only false, it is dishonest and misleading.

GET OVER IT...Is that why you only have two woots? Those that have been around a long time always read the details. It's good though that some did take note though, but let's not dwell on it. I wouldn't hang the winery for the WW title. They just make wine.

boatman72

jasonstephenswinery wrote:AGREED THAT THESE ARE NOT BORDEAUX WINES...I AM COMPLETELY CALIFORNIA...WOOT.COM WAS GOING FOR THE BORDEAUX "STYLE" MIX, NOT TRUE BORDEAUX WINES. I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. I AM SURE YOU WILL LIKE THE WINES THOUGH!!!

I'm in for an order, because from his response, this guy sounds like he takes his wines seriously! More bottles for the basement...getting close to 400 at his point. Better quit laying all these down & start drinking!!

boatman72

BTW, what type of cellaring on these?

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500
jasonstephenswinery wrote:These are a bit bigger wines, so they needed a little longer in the barrel to mellow out. I practice patience in wine maker. Never rush anything, the wine in time when it is ready.

Welcome Jason and Stephen,

You guys make fantastic stuffs.
Extremely happy.
In for 3 or more.

chipandstephanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipandstephanie

Geesh. I know its Monday morning, but can everyone drink some coffee (or get an early start on the wine) and lighten up a little bit???

Before the "death to Wine.Woot for their dishonest labeling" chorus gets out of hand, let's consider a couple of things to keep this in perspective.

(1) This is wine woot. Their logo is a sock monkey and today's description writer drinks wine so he can use the bottles as a vase.

(2) Wine David, Wine Drew, Thunderthighs,(et. al.) are not naive, nor do they think you are a simpleton. They have shown vast respect to the wine community herein and oodles of patience with some of us noobs.

(3) Given one and two above, do you think it is at least remotely possible that someone is being cheeky here? The 'mix' for today includes both cab and merlot...a Bordeaux mix in the offering, if not in the bottle.

One can assume that they expect you to read the bottle descriptions and note varietals and percentages. Once can also assume that they are not trying to "getcha" with the headline. Can we cut them some slack???

Note: I quoted lylesnyder here, but I am not singling him out (honestly, I'm not) - a small gathering of winos (whiners?) seem to be gathering with their torches this morning.

Cheers!

limesc1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages limesc1
inod3 wrote:I really enjoyed the 4-pack sampler they had July last year...

I must drink faster.

Agreed! I let these sit until This January then opened them for a gathering. Let them decant for an hour or so, and these will treat you very right. Well crafted, and easy to drink! Highly recommend.

chipandstephanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipandstephanie

And, once again, cudos to Wine.Woot for encouraging winery participation. It is always informative and fun when the wine makers themselves chime in. Welcome to the Jason Stephens Estate!!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jasonstephenswinery wrote:AGREED THAT THESE ARE NOT BORDEAUX WINES...I AM COMPLETELY CALIFORNIA...WOOT.COM WAS GOING FOR THE BORDEAUX "STYLE" MIX, NOT TRUE BORDEAUX WINES. I AM SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. I AM SURE YOU WILL LIKE THE WINES THOUGH!!!

You are exactly right. We have a new shorter character limit for our product titles which means we sometimes have to be more brief than we would like. The intent was definitely Bordeaux Style. You should always look at the Product listing below the price for the exact wine(s) in the sale and the descriptions in the body of the page for more specific information on each wine.

We've passed on your concerns on to WCC so they can take that into consideration in future sales.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

Now this is a quality post:

chipandstephanie wrote:Geesh. I know its Monday morning, but can everyone drink some coffee (or get an early start on the wine) and lighten up a little bit???

Before the "death to Wine.Woot for their dishonest labeling" chorus gets out of hand, let's consider a couple of things to keep this in perspective.

(1) This is wine woot. Their logo is a sock monkey and today's description writer drinks wine so he can use the bottles as a vase.

(2) Wine David, Wine Drew, Thunderthighs,(et. al.) are not naive, nor do they think you are a simpleton. They have shown vast respect to the wine community herein and oodles of patience with some of us noobs.

(3) Given one and two above, do you think it is at least remotely possible that someone is being cheeky here? The 'mix' for today includes both cab and merlot...a Bordeaux mix in the offering, if not in the bottle.

One can assume that they expect you to read the bottle descriptions and note varietals and percentages. Once can also assume that they are not trying to "getcha" with the headline. Can we cut them some slack???

Note: I quoted lylesnyder here, but I am not singling him out (honestly, I'm not) - a small gathering of winos (whiners?) seem to be gathering with their torches this morning.

Cheers!

jhudelson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jhudelson

What?!

Did some 27 year old m.b.a. at Amazon Corporate H.Q. determine a few pennies of profitability was going un-realized due to the allowed length of your description?

Crazy I say! Limiting the prose of the Woot writers should not go unpunished. Aren't there laws in Texas about this sort of thing?

I protest. A wine-woot driven, occupy Amazon movement might have to be considered.

btw- the wine sounds good.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Nah, those titles connect to a lot of other things (like the daily digest) so they need to be succinct. There were no big meetings to slash characters. And the writers have no worries. They do the write-ups, not the titles. Well, except for Shirt. They sometimes have a hand in the titles there.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10

Jason/Stephen,

What is the recommended drinking window for these wines? I'm sure they drink well not, be what is your recommendation for cellaring?

Thanks for joining us this morning.

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99
boatman72 wrote:I'm in for an order, because from his response, this guy sounds like he takes his wines seriously! More bottles for the basement...getting close to 400 at his point. Better quit laying all these down & start drinking!!

Boatman - start drinking. I have "only" about 150 bottles in the cellar, but have waited too long on some nice stuff. While I am still increasing the collection, at the same time I am increasing the consumption to keep things from hanging around too long.
Wine dinners are a great way to burn though some stuff, have fun with other winos, and make sure you try what you own.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

The week appears to be off to a rousing start! I'm in for one--sorry it can't be more based on some of the comments, but three orders on the way and a number of boxes in the basement waiting to be unpacked. Everyone have a great day!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 1m 14.540s
Last wooter to woot: cynthylee

thepatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepatch

here I was lamenting the fact that I was down to 1 left from my earlier 4-pack - every bottle has been good. $65 shipped for 4 bottles is a good deal anyway and for these its a great deal. I've thought the previous wines were _well_ worth that.

Only in for 1 but that's because I just dropped some cash at Binny's the other week.

wait, they're not from Bordeaux?