$54.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 2 2007 Davis Family Vineyards Rouge
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Zin-Syrah, this is a new blend to me! Anyone ever had one?

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99

Haven't cracked their pinot yet, but looking forward to it

mbmiche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mbmiche

(Oops... When you click on the photo the Cinque Syrah photo pops up...)

Interesting blend. Only bottled twice in the last ten years. Fruity/Spicy explosion?

CT notes are very thin, but reference the wine still being hot. Drink now vs. cellar?

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
richardhod wrote:Zin-Syrah, this is a new blend to me! Anyone ever had one?

Nope. I have a Justin Savant Cab/Syrah blend and the Gazzi Estate Pinot Noir has about 15% Syrah but this is a new one to me too.

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar

Review of their 2007 Syrah from Guyzer Block
Rating: 91 | Price: $38
This is a big, strong, gusty Syrah, a powerhouse of jammy blackberries, currants, bacon, pepper, and sandalwood. Its completely dry, with rich, thick tannins and a long, spicy finish. Good now, with proper fare, and should glide-path through the next 6 years. -WE

Sorry I couldn't find a review of the Rouge.

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

As I learned here a while ago, Zins routinely have a bit of Petite Sirah blended in for color and heft, so I imagine it's somewhat along the same lines.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

dmacke99

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dmacke99
mbmiche wrote:

Fruity/Spicy explosion?

Not sure the latter is up my alley but sounds interesting

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Seems like Zin dominant blends are gaining some popularity. Orin Swift's The Prisoner is 44% Zin, 26% Cab, and 18% Syrah (with a few other tiny bits). Without more Zin and no Cab, I'd guess this one is more of a beast.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

Chinaguy00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chinaguy00

No info on their website other than a footnote that says this is only avaialable as part of a package as its a special wine.

On a side note, while I like the photos on ww, seems like a potential waste of wine for the sake of artistry, hopefully someone fished out that cork and enjoyed what is purported to be a special wine...

deasmusico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deasmusico

This sounds so enticing...very unique...but I promised myself I was done buying wine!!!

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

I like how they balanced the bottle on the wine glass in the photo. That's first for Wine Woot.

I wonder if the photographer has tried an even wackier way of arranging the wine bottles and glasses?

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink

When I click on the picture itself I see a Syrah with a white label. Am I just confused or is the wine label on the balanced bottle not the actual label?

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

found a few cases of this while hanging out at the winery. this is a rare release, not made every year and a wine club only offering. glad to see it on Woot! today.

WineDavid was my Boss!

oliveman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oliveman

Great stuff!

chipgreen

CT user average value = $27.74, almost all purchases made from the winery so I'm not sure how much of a deal this is although I am intrigued by the blend.

Anyone here ever blend their own wines together? I've thought of trying it several times but have never done so. I have plenty of Zin and enough Syrah to try making my own "Rouge", though - this is basically 2 parts Zin to 1 part Syrah.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
texacaliali wrote:found a few cases of this while hanging out at the winery. this is a rare release, not made every year and a wine club only offering. glad to see it on Woot! today.

Tell us more! Tell us more!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ego48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48
Chinaguy00 wrote:No info on their website other than a footnote that says this is only avaialable as part of a package as its a special wine.

On a side note, while I like the photos on ww, seems like a potential waste of wine for the sake of artistry, hopefully someone fished out that cork and enjoyed what is purported to be a special wine...

Quick math on that same section of the website means that they value this at about $45 / bottle

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

coynedj wrote:Tell us more! Tell us more!

Big & Rich! Guy should pipe in any second now...

WineDavid was my Boss!

chipgreen

mbmiche wrote:
Interesting blend. Only bottled twice in the last ten years. Fruity/Spicy explosion?

CT notes are very thin, but reference the wine still being hot. Drink now vs. cellar?

According to CT, this has been bottled in 1999, 2002, 2004, 2007 and 2009 which seems to contradict the "twice in 10 years" statement although nobody has any bottles of the 2002 so that might be a mistaken entry and I'll assume that the 2009 had not yet been released when this product description was written and that 2007 was to be the 3rd installment in that 10 year span.

Sooo, using the PolitiFact meter, the statement appears to be "mostly true".

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

I love Davis wine, I ordered the case from the winery when I joined their club, after tasting the Soul Patch Pinot I got from woot. I received 4 bottles of this wine, I have had 1. Zin is not a favorite of mine typically, I rarely give them over an 86 even blends.
Further disclaimer, I don't write about wine well, I just don't taste the complex things all the professionals do. Here is what I wrote about this one on my private CT notes:

"Fourth bottle of Davis wine now, joined the club, they substituted 2 extra bottle of this wine for something they ran out of. I like it, not as good as the Pinot's I have had, but still good. To me, well made. Character of Zin with the earthy fruit of Syrah. Nice deep purple color. Nose has the balanced oak note of the Pinot's I love, with muted dark fruits, and a good earthiness. Good balanced mouth feel, smooth, luxurious, with a zin spicey kick. Medium to long finish. Little hot and dry on the finish for it to be a fantastic wine to me. Crystals on the cork, no worries, doesn't taste corked. Getting better as the night goes on. Probably better integrated on day 2, just a big peppery blend, would be fantastic with a steak. Old vine Zin certainly adds the concentrated pepper dark fruits you would expect.

Overall Score night one = 89 keep at 89 after night 2, knocking on a 90"

Notes over the two evenings I drank it. Also said it went well with Kalamata Olives and was too spicey for aged cheddar cheese.

Hope that helps.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
redwinefan wrote:Seems like Zin dominant blends are gaining some popularity. Orin Swift's The Prisoner is 44% Zin, 26% Cab, and 18% Syrah (with a few other tiny bits). Without more Zin and no Cab, I'd guess this one is more of a beast.

I very much have enjoyed Orin Swift's Prisoner over the years. I'd definitely be in for a few of these, except that I am under a strict LIWBM (Lent Imposed Wine Buying Moratorium).

Argh . . .

chipgreen

dstearl wrote:I love Davis wine, I ordered the case from the winery when I joined their club, after tasting the Soul Patch Pinot I got from woot. I received 4 bottles of this wine, I have had 1. Zin is not a favorite of mine typically, I rarely give them over an 86 even blends.
Further disclaimer, I don't write about wine well, I just don't taste the complex things all the professionals do. Here is what I wrote about this one on my private CT notes:

"Fourth bottle of Davis wine now, joined the club, they substituted 2 extra bottle of this wine for something they ran out of. I like it, not as good as the Pinot's I have had, but still good. To me, well made. Character of Zin with the earthy fruit of Syrah. Nice deep purple color. Nose has the balanced oak note of the Pinot's I love, with muted dark fruits, and a good earthiness. Good balanced mouth feel, smooth, luxurious, with a zin spicey kick. Medium to long finish. Little hot and dry on the finish for it to be a fantastic wine to me. Crystals on the cork, no worries, doesn't taste corked. Getting better as the night goes on. Probably better integrated on day 2, just a big peppery blend, would be fantastic with a steak. Old vine Zin certainly adds the concentrated pepper dark fruits you would expect.

Notes over the two evenings I drank it. Also said it went well with Kalamata Olives and was too spicey for aged cheddar cheese.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for sharing your notes!

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
dstearl wrote:I love Davis wine, I ordered the case from the winery when I joined their club, after tasting the Soul Patch Pinot I got from woot. I received 4 bottles of this wine, I have had 1. Zin is not a favorite of mine typically, I rarely give them over an 86 even blends.

Hope that helps.

Frankly, thats a great review for me. I don't have the palate that some do but I love Zin's. It's just outside of my price right now.

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman

Loved their Pinots and Barn d'Or enough to take a chance on this. I'm in!

michaelrenda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages michaelrenda
oncman wrote:Loved their Pinots and Barn d'Or enough to take a chance on this. I'm in!

Meh. I've found there Pinot & Barn d'Or to not be great values. Pass.

mchls45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchls45

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that pushed me over the edge. In for one. And i wasn't going too buy today.

curt11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages curt11

Man do I hate being on the fence when that awful yellow bar gets low...

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

oh ratz, Guy was out in the vineyards pruning earlier, hoping he could make it here with us today!

WineDavid was my Boss!

tiggeriffic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tiggeriffic

Wooter to rejoice about buying the last one!

LoungeLizard

Luminart Fiber Optic Creations
iRobot Roomba Sage with Convenience Pack (4110)

oncman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oncman
michaelrenda wrote:Meh. I've found there Pinot & Barn d'Or to not be great values. Pass.

As my Grandfather always said, "it's a good thing eveyone likes different things, otherwise, everyone would be after your Grandmother!"

LoungeLizard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LoungeLizard
tiggeriffic wrote:Wooter to rejoice about buying the last one!

LoungeLizard

A first for me! Hope it's worthy. We were out to dinner with friends and I was trying to "teach" them about woot. Saw Davis and just bought... Woot-offs are killing the credit card!

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I received my order last week and finally got around to popping one open Sunday.

GREAT.

Hope to see it on a WootOff!