2 2007 Radog Dry Gewürztraminer, Monterey
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
1/16/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

This is from the Tudor guy. Ought to be well-made. They look off-dry and good acidity, which is how I like them, but I'm concerned that Santa Barbara area is still too warm for really good examples of these varietals, highlands or not! Any comments?

Also, I see the description has some Pinot Noir in it. That WOULD make for an unusual blend.. a Gewur-Pinot, or Riesling Noir...

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

be right back, gotta go check my cellar.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

diosabellissima

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diosabellissima

These look delish. I'd love to hear what the rest of you have to say before I bite, though.

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

5 year old whites? Sounds interesting, but hard to pull the trigger on an aged white.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Anyone buy this from the 1/16/12 offer and have a chance to taste it?

PS: Drinking window on them??

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

bigbear83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbear83
nmachen wrote:5 year old whites? Sounds interesting, but hard to pull the trigger on an aged white.

The age has me wondering as well.

According to the cellar tracker links, the Gewurzt received an 84 in April of last year. And the Reisling an 87 in September.

This has me wondering what my oldest white is at home...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Enough of the dry whites already!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mschauber

$19/bottle on their website. Interestingly, they don't have any Radog with a more recent vintage.

I'm sure there's a reason for that. Anyone know what it is?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

bkarlan

North316 wrote:Enough of the dry whites already!

yeah, I would be interested in a split if any from ABQ/Santa Fe are here

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

atucny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atucny

I think Dane Cook did a segment on these once

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

It's Otter Cove, all over again! Same bottles, same appellations, same 36 year old Riesling vines, same price. The only difference is the labels and the fact that the Radog Gewurz is 2007 instead of 2006.

HellnationThug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HellnationThug

AHHH too much cute animal wine!

chipgreen

nmachen wrote:5 year old whites? Sounds interesting, but hard to pull the trigger on an aged white.

To be fair, they were bottled in March of 2008 so really only 4 years old but this has seemed to be a theme during the wootoff. A lot of wines being offered that are close to the edge of their ideal drinkability. If I had a nickel for every 2006 that has been offered so far...

I can get some nice '06-'07 German Rieslings at the local wine shop that specializes in closeouts for around $6 a bottle so I'm not really seeing the QPR here even though I am sure that I would enjoy both of these wines.

mschauber

chipgreen wrote:It's Otter Cove, all over again! Same bottles, same appellations, same 36 year old Riesling vines, same price. The only difference is the labels and the fact that the Radog Gewurz is 2007 instead of 2006.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there an actual connection between Otter Cove and Radog or are you just pointing out a similar deal?

--
My CT

mschauber

chipgreen wrote:To be fair, they were bottled in March of 2008 so really only 4 years old but this has seemed to be a theme during the wootoff. A lot of wines being offered that are close to the edge of their ideal drinkability. If I had a nickel for every 2006 that has been offered so far...

I can get some nice '06-'07 German Rieslings at the local wine shop that specializes in closeouts for around $6 a bottle so I'm not really seeing the QPR here even though I am sure that I would enjoy both of these wines.

Spring cleaning has been the theme across all the woot sites during this woot off

--
My CT

chipgreen

mschauber wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but is there an actual connection between Otter Cove and Radog or are you just pointing out a similar deal?

I'm speculating but they appear to be identical. The Alsatian style dry Gewurz from Monterey County and the Santa Lucia Highlands Riesling from 36 year old vines. The bottle similarity caught my eye and then I looked at the descriptions and realized they don't just look alike.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Dear Wine Woot, please keep the whites and food coming, with 8 wine woots since Monday I need to go to rehab, help a guy out will ya?

Thank you
Fred

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
fredrinaldi wrote:Dear Wine Woot, please keep the whites and food coming, with 8 wine woots since Monday I need to go to rehab, help a guy out will ya?

Thank you
Fred

Maybe you should go over to the regular woot and pick up that glow in the dark volletball set.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

richardhod

chipgreen wrote:To be fair, they were bottled in March of 2008 so really only 4 years old but this has seemed to be a theme during the wootoff. A lot of wines being offered that are close to the edge of their ideal drinkability. If I had a nickel for every 2006 that has been offered so far...

Where do you live? I want to visit your shop! 8-)
Some people prefer a good Riesling at this age, with the extra petrolly taste! I'm on the fence, but curious always.

chipgreen

richardhod wrote:Where do you live? I want to visit your shop! 8-)
Some people prefer a good Riesling at this age, with the extra petrolly taste! I'm on the fence, but curious always.

NE Ohio. I got a case of the Scott Harvey '07 InZinerator from that wine shop recently for $6.99 a bottle and a variety of German Rieslings (Auslese, Spatlese and Kabinet) for $5.99-$6.99.

My biggest problem is that I have been buying way more wine than I've been drinking so I have to limit my "drink now" purchases, even at closeout prices.

richardhod

chipgreen wrote:NE Ohio. I got a case of the Scott Harvey '07 InZinerator from that wine shop recently for $6.99 a bottle and a handful of German Rieslings (Auslese, Spatlese and Kabinet) for $5.99-$6.99.

My biggest problem is that I have been buying way more wine than I've been drinking so I have to limit my "drink now" purchases, even at closeout prices.

That's the great thing about shops. They like to get rid of inventory, and people think that young= better. A good Spatlese or Auslese you can happiy store IIRC! Even Kabinetts can last quite nicely. I love wine-store people adn supermarket types who will sell off the old.. and often best.. stuff on deep discount! Especially reds..

chipgreen

richardhod wrote:That's the great thing about shops. They like to get rid of inventory, and people think that young= better. A good Spatlese or Auslese you can happiy store IIRC! Even Kabinetts can last quite nicely. I love wine-store people adn supermarket types who will sell off the old.. and often best.. stuff on deep discount! Especially reds..

This place doesn't seem to discount the reds quite as deeply as the whites although I got some good deals on reds also. Kendall Jackson '07 Grand Reserve Cab for $14.99 was probably the best. I should mention that these are email only deals for those who subscribe to their list. I have to print out the emails and bring them to the shop to get those prices.

bkarlan

Ok guys. I ordered both: the Radog and the Otter Cove..

I will try to let you know how they compare on the 17th/18th of March.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
richardhod wrote:That's the great thing about shops. They like to get rid of inventory, and people think that young= better. A good Spatlese or Auslese you can happiy store IIRC! Even Kabinetts can last quite nicely. I love wine-store people adn supermarket types who will sell off the old.. and often best.. stuff on deep discount! Especially reds..

I picked up some terrific Barolos at about 70% off that way recently, at my local shop that discounts the older inventory. I don't find deals like that often, but I go all in when I do!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bigbear83

chipgreen wrote:NE Ohio. I got a case of the Scott Harvey '07 InZinerator from that wine shop recently for $6.99 a bottle and a variety of German Rieslings (Auslese, Spatlese and Kabinet) for $5.99-$6.99.

Mind sharing the name of said shop? I'm intrigued and am located outside of Cleveland.

chipgreen

bigbear83 wrote:Mind sharing the name of said shop? I'm intrigued and am located outside of Cleveland.

Cedar Green Wine & Cheese in S. Euclid.

EDIT: Do you know about the Ohio Wine Dinner with Scott Harvey? Check out the link, the more the merrier!

bigbear83

chipgreen wrote:Cedar Green Wine & Cheese in S. Euclid.

EDIT: Do you know about the Ohio Wine Dinner with Scott Harvey? Check out the link, the more the merrier!

Excellent! Thank you!

We're planning a trip to visit a couple of the east side wineries this weekend so we might be able to stop by there on our way back home.

I'll check out the dinner as well. Thanks again!