1 2007 Expression 44° Pinot Noir, Roserock Vineyard
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
8/25/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

szecsei

quality posts: 10 Private Messages szecsei

first post?

szecsei

quality posts: 10 Private Messages szecsei

has anyone tried this?

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe

The 2006 is 48.00 and 2007 is 65.00 on the winery website.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

It was pretty funky stuff as I remember, not fruit forward like a lot of CA pinots. I really like this style, so I enjoyed the previous woot. if the victory hadn't come up before I think this would be the woot off splurge for me.

CT

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar

2006 Expression 44° Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills, Willakia Vineyard

Rating: 89 | Price: $50

From young vines, this wine has a bit more concentration than the regular 44 bottling; with black cherry and plenty of new oak. But what shines is the spicy assertiveness of the Eola-Amity Hills region. - WE

2007 Expression 44° Pinot Noir, Roserock Vineyard

Review of the 2006 release:

Rating: 88 | Price: $40

This bold, expressive Pinot Noir bursts open with spice, herb and leaf then rolls into flavor of vanilla cream and tangy red fruits. The spicy elements wrap into all the other flavors, giving lift and life; this is an existing wine, though not necessarily one to cellar. -WE

Hope this helps...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99

Background on Expression from The Prince of Pinot:

This winery produces multiple Pinot Noirs from different latitudes representing different “Expressions” of Pinot Noir. Winegrowing regions represented include Santa Rita Hills, Sonoma Coast, Anderson Valley and the Eola-Amity Hills of Oregon. The goal of winemaker Richard Sowalsky is to feature the vineyards and the terroir of each region. Sowalsky is a graduate of University California Davis with experience at Handley Cellars, Havens Wine Cellars, Robert Mondavi Winery, William Hill Winery and Big Horn Cellars. Sowalsky is in partnership with William Hill, who has a 30+ track record of vineyard stewardship and is one of the owners of Premier Pacific Vineyards.

Expression Wines' winegrowing regions include the Santa Rita Hills (34º), the Sonoma Coast (38º), the Anderson Valley (39º), and the Eola-Amity Hills (44º) of the Willamette Valley, Oregon.

The wines are crafted at the Silverado Trail Wine Studio. Expression wines are sold through a mailing list, on the website, and through limited retail distribution.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi

http://www.wine.com/v6/search/?term=2007%20Expression%2044%B0%20Pinot%20Noir%2C%20Roserock
2006...$24.99
2007...$28.99

zachusaf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachusaf

My signature's cry for help has been answered!

NoVA
My Cellar

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar
fredrinaldi wrote:http://www.wine.com/v6/search/?term=2007%20Expression%2044%B0%20Pinot%20Noir%2C%20Roserock
2006...$24.99
2007...$28.99

All of those seem to be sold out...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

catfishhunters99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages catfishhunters99

Outstanding reviews for the Roserock on CT - 92 points

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Same wines offered by Woot in AUG 2010 for $49.99. Must be inflation.

Mine are still in the cellar....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
zachusaf wrote:My signature's cry for help has been answered!

Are you all in?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Stephen Alpern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stephen Alpern

EXPRESSION 44°
Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Willakia Vineyard 2006
Wine Spectator

Issue: Apr 30, 2009

Rating 91

This is lovely, tempting the nose with violet-tinged currant and blackberry fruit, washing easily over the tongue with a graceful balance of fruit and spice, lingering effectively as the flavors hover. Drink now through 2014. 826 cases made. –HS

Stephen Alpern

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Dang ... I knew I shoulda held out. I've blown my budget, or I'd be all over this one.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I've had the Expression 44 Pinot before: very very good. Served it at a party to a French wine snob and he was very impressed (thought I paid 75 per bottle, Wine.Woot ftw).

I was wondering, though. What is the cut off for a Black Tie Buy? It seems this would be expensive enough.

zachusaf

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zachusaf
kylemittskus wrote:Are you all in?

Sadly, no. x3 of Kent Rasmussen and x2 of Wellington has killed my lunch money.

Maybe the Woot gods have smiled upon me and this may bode well for a Twisted Oak appearance...fingers crossed. Still holding back a little cash WD hasnt pried away from me for that.

NoVA
My Cellar

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
sdbcmr wrote:Dang ... I knew I shoulda held out. I've blown my budget, or I'd be all over this one.

Not complaining--but it was so very easy to blow the budget this Woot Off! Thanks WD.
In for 2!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
maurakid wrote:Not complaining--but it was so very easy to blow the budget this Woot Off! Thanks WD.
In for 2!

More of the kind of PN I'm looking for, as with the Tudor. However, I already have five left and on tight SIWB. But This is likely their last lot of this stuff so I'd go for it!

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Good wine to make my 100th woot.

In for 1, wish it could be 2-3, but alas, I am running out of storage again with recent club shipments...

Clearly not consuming enough wine...hard to do w/ wife prego and all, I have no help.

CT Updating, please wait....

bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

North316 and I are going to sit in the corner during this Woot-off

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

singlespeed20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singlespeed20

I lucked out with shipping the naked winery stuff with my sister being in town and home at the.time.

But what happens if I'm not home when this arrives? Am I able to pick this up at a local shipping center?
It recommends using a business address ...but I'm not sure how the pharmacy will feel about wine being delivered there :-p

hogfatt

singlespeed20 wrote:I lucked out with shipping the naked winery stuff with my sister being in town and home at the.time.

But what happens if I'm not home when this arrives? Am I able to pick this up at a local shipping center?
It recommends using a business address ...but I'm not sure how the pharmacy will feel about wine being delivered there :-p

When you get the tracking number, click the tracking link. You can click to change the destination to a Fed-ex/Kinkos if you have one locally.

singlespeed20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singlespeed20
hogfatt wrote:When you get the tracking number, click the tracking link. You can click to change the destination to a Fed-ex/Kinkos if you have one locally.

Thanks Hogfatt!

hogfatt

szecsei wrote:has anyone tried this?

Not sure I've tried the Roserock or not. But they should be similar in style.

Oregon PN is very earthy and carry a distinct flavor of terrior. If made well as Expression does with their PN, it is focused on rather than the fruit as many CA PN does. They will be lighter and more complex than most CA PN.

If you like big wines or fruit bombs as I tend to be at times, this wine may not be for you.

taxiguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taxiguy

I know I shouldn't have bought this, but I wanted to make Wisconsin lighter than Texas on the map.

It's only money...

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida
PTommins wrote:Same wines offered by Woot in AUG 2010 for $49.99. Must be inflation.

At this price, I was okay with my last purchase - enjoyed the '07, the '06 less so. For an extra $10, pass. I've still got one of each, and am in no hurry for either.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
PTommins wrote:Same wines offered by Woot in AUG 2010 for $49.99. Must be inflation.

I would have gone in on this at the original $49.99 deal price. While some would argue that an extra $10 is worth it for the wine to have been stored in what are presumably ideal conditions for an additional year, I view it more in terms of a shortened drinking window.

To me, the wine is worth the same or less than a year ago, not more. The exception to that would be wines that can continue to be cellared for at least another 5 years.

rhinothewino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rhinothewino

Sad that I missed the Tudor. This will make up for it. In for 1.

Love the woot-off format of all wine this time. I vote for more of these.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bkarlan wrote:North316 and I are going to sit in the corner during this Woot-off

For the most part you are right. I did buy in on the Wellington and the Salted Turtles. If I can't get sweet wine I can still get chocolate and caramel.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Fabulous stuff - at least the one bottle from last time I've tried. Still have three of four left, so no go this time around. Highly recommended, though.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

richardhod

k1avg wrote:Fabulous stuff - at least the one bottle from last time I've tried. Still have three of four left, so no go this time around. Highly recommended, though.

Got a review? My 07 didn't open up enough.. perhaps I didn't decant it long enough, but I still reckon theyll be good. Hope you have some notes!

I remember that the 08 which we also had later on woot (for $35 a bottle) is bigger and more hefty, allegedy a better year in Oregon.

richardhod

Bendial80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

I don't think I've ever had a wine from Oregon that I actually liked. I know they make some good Pinot's but going to have to pass on this one especially with that price for only 2 bottles.

k1avg

richardhod wrote:Got a review? My 07 didn't open up enough.. perhaps I didn't decant it long enough, but I still reckon theyll be good. Hope you have some notes!

I remember that the 08 which we also had later on woot (for $35 a bottle) is bigger and more hefty, allegedy a better year in Oregon.

Both of my '07 Roserocks are still on the rack, so I can't confirm your impressions. I didn't take notes on the '06 Willakia I drank, but I do remember it having a great Oregon forest-floor funkiness and a mouthfeel that was quite delicate, with none of the slickness Pinots in somewhat warmer climates often have, but not at all watery, as some lower-end cold-climate Pinots are wont to be. Just generally well-made stuff.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

redredwine67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages redredwine67
hogfatt wrote:Good wine to make my 100th woot.

In for 1, wish it could be 2-3, but alas, I am running out of storage again with recent club shipments...

Clearly not consuming enough wine...hard to do w/ wife prego and all, I have no help.

You could gift some to me. I wouldn't be offended.

k1avg

k1avg wrote:Both of my '07 Roserocks are still on the rack, so I can't confirm your impressions. I didn't take notes on the '06 Willakia I drank, but I do remember it having a great Oregon forest-floor funkiness and a mouthfeel that was quite delicate, with none of the slickness Pinots in somewhat warmer climates often have, but not at all watery, as some lower-end cold-climate Pinots are wont to be. Just generally well-made stuff.

Actually, for a couple reference points, I remember it reminding me of the '08 Roessler Bluejay that was one of my first Woots, but a bit more concentrated. And it had none of the magical minerality of the '08 KR Esoterica Pinot you and I love so much, nor did it quite replicate that wine's rock-solid balance. But then, that Rasmussen is in a league of its own - I've been afraid to open another bottle for fear of wasting its youth.

--
The current holdings.

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink

I had their 2008 Pinot Noirs in a previous woot offering and thought it was overly-spicy. I hope the 06 and 07 are more balanced. I already splurged on more Victory though. Where's the Scott Harvey?!

richardhod

k1avg wrote:Actually, for a couple reference points, I remember it reminding me of the '08 Roessler Bluejay that was one of my first Woots, but a bit more concentrated. And it had none of the magical minerality of the '08 KR Esoterica Pinot you and I love so much, nor did it quite replicate that wine's rock-solid balance. But then, that Rasmussen is in a league of its own - I've been afraid to open another bottle for fear of wasting its youth.

Mind you, that Esoterica PN is good, but not his finest.. I tasted it against a Burgudy and did't hold up.. but then that wasn't fair! It's a great wine for the price though. I'd expect mutidimensionality at this price!