1 2009 Clos LaChance Reserve Petite Sirah
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
1/24/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

moosezilla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages moosezilla

never mind

WaltW

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WaltW
moosezilla wrote:never mind

Well was it or wasn't it?

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

if you look carefully at the bottles, you'll notice you get less wine with the 2009. I hope it's better than the others to make up for it!

Bendial80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

These wines tasted FABULOUS when I bought them during the last woot off, but I had an issue with some weird crystallization on the corks and the rim of the bottle, was very strange. Looked like purple rock candy. Anyone know what that might have been? I thought maybe it was from temperature change during shipping since it was present on 2 of the 3 bottles (haven't opened the 2007 yet). Either way, the wines were delicious

moosezilla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages moosezilla
WaltW wrote:Well was it or wasn't it?

no. it wasn't. sorry.

schro5150

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schro5150

I'd be more persuaded by the description that each bottle is 750ml. That's
"milliliters", not "more or less."

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

It appears the 2008 was harvested and bottled AFTER the 2009 (says the writeup)?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar

That one was "Wines Gone Wild Redhead and Blondie" I believe...

This one looks legit. I bought this last time it was up and have been doing everything I can to not open them right now. Great reviews from previous years. I may give in an open one tonight...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

Bendial80

tabednar wrote:That one was "Wines Gone Wild Redhead and Blondie" I believe...

This one looks legit. I bought this last time it was up and have been doing everything I can to not open them right now. Great reviews from previous years. I may give in an open one tonight...

Let me know if yours has the weird rock candy on the cork like mine did.

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar
richardhod wrote:if you look carefully at the bottles, you'll notice you get less wine with the 2009. I hope it's better than the others to make up for it!

Well...it IS the reserve...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

stillwingy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stillwingy
Bendial80 wrote:These wines tasted FABULOUS when I bought them during the last woot off, but I had an issue with some weird crystallization on the corks and the rim of the bottle, was very strange. Looked like purple rock candy. Anyone know what that might have been? I thought maybe it was from temperature change during shipping. Either way, the wines were delicious

just crystals of tartaric acid, or tartrates- they were dark because the wine is dark. Doesn't affect taste.
Did anyone ever find out the drinking window on these? Good candidate for cellar??

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally
Bendial80 wrote:These wines tasted FABULOUS when I bought them during the last woot off, but I had an issue with some weird crystallization on the corks and the rim of the bottle, was very strange. Looked like purple rock candy. Either way, the wines were delicious

the crystals are tartrate and are not a problem with the wine. I had some on the Gazzi chardonnay and it didn't affect the wine.

animi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages animi
Bendial80 wrote:These wines tasted FABULOUS when I bought them during the last woot off, but I had an issue with some weird crystallization on the corks and the rim of the bottle, was very strange. Looked like purple rock candy. Anyone know what that might have been? I thought maybe it was from temperature change during shipping. Either way, the wines were delicious

Tartrates. Totally harmless.

http://www.lavinodolce.com

animi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages animi
animi wrote:Tartrates. Totally harmless.

Bah! Beaten x3.

http://www.lavinodolce.com

Bendial80

stillwingy wrote:just crystals of tartaric acid, or tartrates- they were dark because the wine is dark. Doesn't affect taste.
Did anyone ever find out the drinking window on these? Good candidate for cellar??

Thanks guys I may go in for a 2nd run then lol, they were oh so delicious

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

I believe those would be tartrate crystals, which to me is always a good sign. I don't think I've ever had a bottle with a crystal-ly cork that I didn't end up liking. In fact, I think your comment just convinced me to buy!

Bendial80

hookajoe wrote:I believe those would be tartrate crystals, which to me is always a good sign. I don't think I've ever had a bottle with a crystal-ly cork that I didn't end up liking. In fact, I think your comment just convinced me to buy!

I just bought another run too, I was a little concerned by the crystals but after seeing the comments here and researching that they're actually a sign of quality, I couldn't pass it up these were some seriously delicious wines I can't wait to get my next 3 haha

iccrew98

quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98

So, to go all nerd on you....

This is basically the tartrates, or what happens when potassium and tartaric acid (both naturally found in wine) combine together in cold temperatures and form a precipitate (crystals). This is quite common in many reds if the producer didn't do something to cold-stabilize.

You typically don't see it in whites because part of the process is to cold-stabilize the wine for a period of time so these crystals form and then can get filtered before bottling.

Many wine makers don't do this in Red because you can mask them with the red color whereas in Whites, you see them floating in the bottle. It doesn't mean anything, but impressions are everything.

One thing to note is many red wine producers are now cold-stabilizing their wines, especially if their wines have the potential to be sold as a glass-pour wine. Restaurant customers get mad when sediment is in there and don't want that last glass of wine. Hard to make your money when 1/4-1/5 of a bottle won't be accepted by your customers (even if the wine is just fine).

How to cold stabilize? Put the barrels outside for the winter for a month or so in cold areas. Or, chill the reds down a ways in a tank so they can settle. Do this all before bottling and you'll avoid crystals!

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I haven't tried the Clos LaChance PS (maybe I missed them at Dark & Delicious?), but this looks like a nice vertical.

I really enjoyed the Handal Denier PS (apparently Wellington makes the wine/and uses the same vineyard in their PS?)...I hope this comes up during the wine.woot-off

loreelu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages loreelu

This seems to be a very slow moving woot-off, no?

Unclesally

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Unclesally
loreelu wrote:This seems to be a very slow moving woot-off, no?

No. Not to me.

singlespeed20

quality posts: 1 Private Messages singlespeed20

What does "vertical" mean?

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

So are all three bottles 750ml or is the 2009 500ml ??

Never mind - On the top of the post if you scroll by the bottle picture, its all 750ml bottles.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
singlespeed20 wrote:What does "vertical" mean?

Consecutive vintages of the same wine - in this case 2007, 2008 & 2009

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I opened the 2007 from last offer last night.

I can say that this is solidly good wine. (Take a look for my cellar tracker note.)

It is fruity(Dark and lush) with a solid tannin backbone (Though not one that will attack you) The finish is quite tasty if you like sweet oak (I do! This isn't a harsh woody oak, it's a sweet almost vanilla character).

I Recommend it at the price if it seems to be your style.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

nimhgrad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nimhgrad

2008 Clos LaChance Estate Petite Sirah

Blend: 100% Petite Sirah
Alcohol: 14.5%
Appellation: Central Coast
pH: 3.61
Harvest Dates: October 8, 2009
TA: 0.61
Bottling Dates: July 18, 2011
Total Cases: 406

I'm a little confused about the Harvest date on this one.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
animi wrote:Tartrates. Totally harmless.

unless you get caught by the fuzz