PRODUCT: 2 2009 Upper Bench Merlot Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/5/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

D&D weekend crew had this with dinner at the Fig Cafe in Glen Ellen on Sunday night. If I remember correctly it was $36 at the tasting room. Went nicely with everything at dinner, and would say it goes much better with food rather than by itself. Others may chime in with their impressions.

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

so it is drinking well now? no need to wait for it to settle down? or mature? or mellow? suggested drinking window?

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Did the Pinot reserve sellout? X

HotAirHarry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HotAirHarry

This will drink well now, but will easily handle another five years at 55˚. This is a good price offering: it is $38 at the winery and best retail price is $25 a bottle. Personally, I much prefer Ty's Titanium blend over the varietal, but if you want Merlot this is a good one.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I can't pass this up even if I have to age it.

pricejohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pricejohnson

This is a great winery. I'm a member of their wine club and love everything from these guys. Unfortunately, I'm not a merlot drinker so haven't tried this and can't comment on this wine but I can say I've had a number of their cabs, PN, and blends and have never been dissapointed. I would expect their merlot would not dissapoint.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

In for 1 got the Rocchus Red last month, good stuff, #4 buy today, hope this isn't a 3 day woot off, if so I'm in trouble.

tabednar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabednar

For that last two months since joining I though "Cesare" was a bot...

Snooth | Cellar Tracker
Newest Addition: 2008 Avignonesi Rosso di Toscana & 2009 Paraduxx (Duckhorn Vineyards) Z Blend

kat8480

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kat8480
pricejohnson wrote:This is a great winery. I'm a member of their wine club and love everything from these guys. Unfortunately, I'm not a merlot drinker so haven't tried this and can't comment on this wine but I can say I've had a number of their cabs, PN, and blends and have never been dissapointed. I would expect their merlot would not dissapoint.

Anything Ty is a must buy. I'm for two holding back waiting for Tytanium!!!

jwolent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwolent
szecsei wrote:so it is drinking well now? no need to wait for it to settle down? or mature? or mellow? suggested drinking window?

According to the cellar tracker notes, the drinking window is now through 2016. I had the 2009 Upper Bench Merlot as a part of the Ty Caton 3 Bottle Mixed Red Sampler from 12/5/11 woot. I found the Upper Bench Merlot to have a deep plum and spice nodes with a touch of earthiness and paired well with dinner. If you like merlot, definitely a buy on top of the wine maker being Ty Caton.

greggarcia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greggarcia
pricejohnson wrote:This is a great winery. I'm a member of their wine club and love everything from these guys. Unfortunately, I'm not a merlot drinker so haven't tried this and can't comment on this wine but I can say I've had a number of their cabs, PN, and blends and have never been dissapointed. I would expect their merlot would not dissapoint.

I have a few of Ty Caton's wines stashed away, but I wasn't aware that Ty made Pinot Noir...

mbmiche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mbmiche
jwolent wrote:According to the cellar tracker notes, the drinking window is now through 2016. I had the 2009 Upper Bench Merlot as a part of the Ty Caton 3 Bottle Mixed Red Sampler from 12/5/11 woot. I found the Upper Bench Merlot to have a deep plum and spice nodes with a touch of earthiness and paired well with dinner. If you like merlot, definitely a buy on top of the wine maker being Ty Caton.

Awesome. I bought the three pack too, but haven't opened the merlot yet. CT notes are very thin (one user, rating of 88, no notes), so not much to go on there, but I do like Merlot and rarely see it as a single varietal offering on wine.woot, so in for one!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jeffdx
Speed to first woot: 0m 49.027s
Last wooter to woot: mbmiche

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Did the Pinot Reserve sellout? X

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Glad I still have a bottle of this from the mixed red set, keeps me from spending another $50.

I want semi-sweet Riesling, c'mon woot!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

pricejohnson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pricejohnson
greggarcia wrote:I have a few of Ty Caton's wines stashed away, but I wasn't aware that Ty made Pinot Noir...

You're right. I meant to type PS but typed PN instead. That's what I get for drinking at work!

szecsei

quality posts: 8 Private Messages szecsei

i am trying to talk myself out of this purchase...it might get delivered when i am away in march...maybe if i type slowly enough, there will be another wine on the block. must. type. slower.

[edit] it was still there...in for one. darn it! but on another note, i have been trying to follow up on my purchases (after i open a bottle), so i'll report back once i get my shipment and try it. of course, i don't have all of the lingo down, but i can at least mention my overall impressions.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
tabednar wrote:For that last two months since going I though "Cesare" was a bot...

Nah...he's real, and looks suspiciously like his woot avatar...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
tabednar wrote:For that last two months since going I though "Cesare" was a bot...

klezman wrote:Nah...he's real, and looks suspiciously like his woot avatar...

Actually, he is.

I have personally seen his wife change his batteries.

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Passing because I don't like merlot enough (at least not $25/bottle enough), but just wanted to throw another gold star Ty's way. If you like merlot, you can't miss with this one, I've never had a bad bottle of Ty's juice...

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

That last bit sounded dirtier than I meant it to.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Wasn't what I meant for Ty offering! I still have Ty Merlot hanging around and I'm not much of a merlot fan.

CT Updating, please wait....

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
greyday wrote:Passing because I don't like merlot enough (at least not $25/bottle enough), but just wanted to throw another gold star Ty's way. If you like merlot, you can't miss with this one, I've never had a bad bottle of Ty's juice...

Thanks for the kind words greyday!

/tycaton/

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
greggarcia wrote:I have a few of Ty Caton's wines stashed away, but I wasn't aware that Ty made Pinot Noir...

I don't. But never say never....

/tycaton/

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
hogfatt wrote:Wasn't what I meant for Ty offering! I still have Ty Merlot hanging around and I'm not much of a merlot fan.

I will open one of my merlot bottles next week and curse myself for not going in here. Such is life.

CT Updating, please wait....

kagayaki1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

I recently opened my Merlot from the 3-pack offering. It has a classic Ty tasting profile, some cedar and vanilla over warm plum fruits. One of the better CA Merlot wines I've had in the last couple years, but if you're not a huge fan of Merlot, then I'd recommend waiting for something else of his. I think it will improve over the next couple years and gain depth, particularly on the midpalate. But again, if you don't like Merlot in general, wait for something else.

No offense Ty, just calling it like my taste buds say it.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
tabednar wrote:For that last two months since joining I though "Cesare" was a bot...

He's just got mad skillz.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
trifecta wrote:D&D weekend crew had this with dinner at the Fig Cafe in Glen Ellen on Sunday night. If I remember correctly it was $36 at the tasting room. Went nicely with everything at dinner, and would say it goes much better with food rather than by itself. Others may chime in with their impressions.

In the tasting room I thought it was a little tight, and definitely a fuller body than I was expecting (I thought the pourer said 17% petite sirah instead of the syrah I see listed and was not surprised). It's good now, and will probably do well with a couple years. I enjoyed it more at dinner as well (some cheeses and pot roast). Basically, if you want something light and fruity to drink alone, this isn't it. If you're looking for something medium to full bodied to go with a dinner, it works really well and is pretty tasty.

CT

tabpeanut85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tabpeanut85

Is this moreof a dry or sweet wine does anyone know?

ninaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ninaco
fredrinaldi wrote:In for 1 got the Rocchus Red last month, good stuff, #4 buy today, hope this isn't a 3 day woot off, if so I'm in trouble.

Oh My Gookie! the Rockus Bockus! I hadn't opened a bottle yet from the Mixed Red 6 Pack when it was offered alone. But, folks here convinced me it'd be good so I ordered. I deeply regret that I just went in for one I sure hope it comes up during the woot off!

I'm on the fence when it comes to the Ty Caton merlot. I've never been dissapointed in the his wine. But, it's a little pricey for me.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
tabednar wrote:For that last two months since joining I though "Cesare" was a bot...

He is, just one with a brain and beating heart ;)

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
fredrinaldi wrote:In for 1 got the Rocchus Red last month, good stuff, #4 buy today, hope this isn't a 3 day woot off, if so I'm in trouble.

I'm so glad I was out almost all day today. I have no money and no space, but also no control. Please, please end this today...

I probably missed it, but what's the occasion for this woot.off?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
szecsei wrote:so it is drinking well now? no need to wait for it to settle down? or mature? or mellow? suggested drinking window?

It was drinking very well during dinner. No need to let it mature, but you can if you want to.

And this price is better than I get as a member of Ty's wine club!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
North316 wrote:Glad I still have a bottle of this from the mixed red set, keeps me from spending another $50.

I want semi-sweet Riesling, c'mon woot!

Well in that case you need some of Ty Caton's George's Riesling...yum. You really can't miss with any of his stuff.
I too, however, fall into the "like other things before merlot" group although I have had this offering and it is quite tasty!

Mak33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mak33

Woot Off!

I really hope Elevensance is available.... their Reggae Red is delicious.

tornadotj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tornadotj

It was interesting getting the club shipment today. I don't recall seeing the Carlton Brooke before.

Dallas, TX

Wigdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wigdog

Has anyone received any shipping info on this yet? I just received the Kent Rasmussen from the wootoff, but not even a tracking number for this...

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

150 offerings, 317 woots, 1081 Bottles. Yikes!

CellarTracker!