+ Add a Comment

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

The wine is bottled, and we look forward to the next time! See quick tasting notes below, or go here for our wine's very own thread.

We chose Syrah 86%, Mourvedre 9.5%, Viognier 4.5%. All Suisun Valley Fruit. Brix was 24.75 at crush.

The flavor and aroma at crush were very pleasant, fruity without being sweet, the Syrah definitely prominent.

At press, our juice was one of the most aromatic, and the cake didn't taste nearly as astringent as the first year. The juice tasted very fruity, of course, more astringent than fruit juice but very pleasant.

Racking was done beginning of February and will be done 1 or 2 more times before bottling.

At bottling, the first wine had a lovely aroma, and tasted pleasant, but felt very thin in the mouth. The mourvedre is more prevalent than we anticipated, and there are hints of tobacco and pepper. Check out more tasting notes in our wine's thread here.

Weekend Activities

Activities
Friday evening

Late snacks/drinks

Saturday
Breakfast
Bottling 11 am
Bowling 2 -ish
sight-seeing or napping or gambling
Dinner and Tasting 7 pm

Sunday
Breakfast various places, many went to Mandalay Bay Buffet
sight-seeing or gambling or napping
We rode/drove through Lake Mead and Valley of Fire to view the annular eclipse. Back to HAK's and Cat's place for a BBQ for some of the group.
Monday
Breakfast

Attendees
sanity
mr sanity
sanity's fun friends
imagine4vr
mommadeb1 +1
Sparky
Cheron98
HAK
tenuki
klezman
molarchae
mewalk707 +1
sukeaisa
Virge
CaGirl

Regrets
cjsiege
d-dog and bam
Tiger 7610

Useful Links:
Grape Expectations Website
Pics of Crush and Bottling
Link for the Thread for the 1st Crush in October 2009
Link for the 2nd Crush in October 2010

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Well last year we did the bowling after the bottling, and I think that worked out rather well. So I think I'd prefer the bottling being in the morning.

And I also vote for the dinner tasting stuff to be at your house. I personally like that relaxed setting rather than the idea of being elsewhere (ie. at a restaurant). And it already sounds like there are multiple people who have offered to help with the food preparations. I'd offer to help, but we'd have to first create a recipe thread for me to be able to have any idea how to help.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

Just transferring stuff here, to keep the planning for the Vegas Bottling in the new thread:

mommadeb1 wrote:HAK when is the cut off for your moms place?

I am being lazy and don't want to go back thru all the posts.... who is staying where during bottling? I know it is still a while before we go...
HitAnyKey42 wrote:There is no real "cut-off". Just as it gets closer, the chance of there not being anything available increases. But as this place is newly purchased by Orange Lake, and they haven't even opened up the rentals availability yet, I think it's highly unlikely that we'll have any issues booking rooms anytime before mid-March. We haven't even booked our own room yet, as we're waiting to see if Cat's friend & +1 is going to be coming and would want to split a 2-bedroom unit.

Also, I did confirm that there is a fee for booking each room. So the updated prices are:
For 1BR Fri/Sat night, the cost would be $350.
For 1BR Fri/Sat/Sun night, the cost would be $510
For 2BR Fri/Sat night, the cost would be $520 (ie. $260 per couple).
So it's definitely cheaper if people can coordinate to split a 2BR unit, since you are also splitting the $50 booking fee. You then have the shared living room/dining room/kitchen/etc. And there's still the Queen pull-out couch if a whole crew want to split up a unit with even more people.
And just a reminder, the above cost is in total. No additional taxes, no fees for WiFi or gym or parking.

klezman wrote:If there are 3 room units or they don't come, I can tentatively offer to share also. Assuming you can stand me and molarchae
My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I'm staying at Harrah's this trip, Fri night thru Sun night.

Personally I'd vote against bowling any time and try something new this time. Maybe meeting for breakfast on Saturday and then doing the bottling late morn, early afternoon? And this way sanity doesn't have to miss out on whatever Saturday fun plans to be at home and get ready for all of us

Did we agree/decide on Sun night dinner at Fogo de Chao?

----------

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
klezman wrote:If there are 3 room units or they don't come, I can tentatively offer to share also. Assuming you can stand me and molarchae

Oh noes, that would be terrible You can always have the sleeper-sofa, if you can stand that, for a three-way split.

(Whoops, sorry!)

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

i'll be there!

trish, is virge one of your listed fun friends? otherwise i'll give her a heads up...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sanity

sukeiasa wrote:i'll be there!

trish, is virge one of your listed fun friends? otherwise i'll give her a heads up...

No, those are other fun friends.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:Oh noes, that would be terrible You can always have the sleeper-sofa, if you can stand that, for a three-way split.

(Whoops, sorry!)

Cool...in any case I am about 90% in right now, but I can't vouch for molarchae just yet. Our travel costs are going to skyrocket since we'll have the LA/SF long distance thing going on. That also means I'm coming from LA by then. Woohoo?

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cheron98

klezman wrote:Cool...in any case I am about 90% in right now, but I can't vouch for molarchae just yet. Our travel costs are going to skyrocket since we'll have the LA/SF long distance thing going on. That also means I'm coming from LA by then. Woohoo?

You tell her I will never play Scrabble with her again if she doesn't come.

... not that I've looked at Scrabble in weeks ... but still! NEVER!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

My vote is not for anything too early in the morning!! I can help with any food prep sat night... we will go with the flow....

Right now I have no idea where we will be staying. I really liked the the PH towers....but if everyone else is staying at HAks moms place .......we will prob. wait til the last min. to see what kind of deals we get...

seeing how I am the newbie at all this, please just let me know what I need to do/contribute.... right now we plan on arriving friday and leaving mon.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mommadeb1 wrote:My vote is not for anything too early in the morning!! I can help with any food prep sat night... we will go with the flow....

Right now I have no idea where we will be staying. I really liked the the PH towers....but if everyone else is staying at HAks moms place .......we will prob. wait til the last min. to see what kind of deals we get...

seeing how I am the newbie at all this, please just let me know what I need to do/contribute.... right now we plan on arriving friday and leaving mon.

I don't remember if you mentioned whether you gambled or not, but if you gambled at PH with a total rewards card, they're pretty good at sending offers.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Cool...in any case I am about 90% in right now, but I can't vouch for molarchae just yet. Our travel costs are going to skyrocket since we'll have the LA/SF long distance thing going on. That also means I'm coming from LA by then. Woohoo?

4 hour drive. Woot!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

tenuki wrote:I don't remember if you mentioned whether you gambled or not, but if you gambled at PH with a total rewards card, they're pretty good at sending offers.

dang it, we really didn't gamble this trip....should have thought to sign up for offers..... grrr....

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Looks like we'll be missing a really good time, based on the list of attendees. Sorry we can't make it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:Looks like we'll be missing a really good time, based on the list of attendees. Sorry we can't make it.

Just call in sick!!!! you have bottleing/vegas fever.... very contagious!!

sanity

ddeuddeg wrote:Looks like we'll be missing a really good time, based on the list of attendees. Sorry we can't make it.

Hey! I left you both off all the lists hoping there was a chance you could come!

edit: so is your schedule still booked with the school function?

cheron98

The Vegas-bound case is now residing with HAK. So if he forgets it, it's his fault

sanity

The Racking was fun and educational. We didn't do much work, just watched and tasted.

The wine was pumped from the barrel into the steel tank. The sludge in the bottom of the barrel was washed out, and the barrel was washed again, then the wine was pumped back into the barrel, and the barrel topped off with about a gallon of juice from the community barrel.

Our wine is starting to taste like wine! It was very pleasant tasting, and the varietal flavors of the syrah and to a lesser extent the mourvedre, were evident. It was tart, but smooth on the end, still a little more juice flavored than wine flavored.

We will rack the wine one more time, probably late March.

Charlie asked for our CyberPub poem framed, which I brought, and he'll hang it in the warehouse.

tenuki

sanity wrote:The Racking was fun and educational. We didn't do much work, just watched and tasted.

The wine was pumped from the barrel into the steel tank. The sludge in the bottom of the barrel was washed out, and the barrel was washed again, then the wine was pumped back into the barrel, and the barrel topped off with about a gallon of juice from the community barrel.

Our wine is starting to taste like wine! It was very pleasant tasting, and the varietal flavors of the syrah and to a lesser extent the mourvedre, were evident. It was tart, but smooth on the end, still a little more juice flavored than wine flavored.

We will rack the wine one more time, probably late March.

Charlie asked for our CyberPub poem framed, which I brought, and he'll hang it in the warehouse.

Awesome, thanks for going. Is it just me or is a gallon a lot?

CT

sanity

tenuki wrote:Awesome, thanks for going. Is it just me or is a gallon a lot?

It was actually closer to 3/4 gallon. A barrel holds about 60 gallons, so it's about 1%. I don't think it will affect the overall taste.

tenuki

sanity wrote:It was actually closer to 3/4 gallon. A barrel holds about 60 gallons, so it's about 1%. I don't think it will affect the overall taste.

Ah, k. Just my misconception, like the lady in pahrump had the top off jug and it was only a two gallon jug or something. I was thinking it'd be pints or quarts or something, not the impracticality of carrying around a bigger container.

CT

mommadeb1

Thanks sanity for all you are doing!!!

sanity

mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks sanity for all you are doing!!!

Well, I'm the one having all the winemaking fun at the moment!

klezman

Update: I informed molarchae about cat's threat and now she's more likely to join in for the fun! I guess threats sometimes work?

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sanity

klezman wrote:Update: I informed molarchae about cat's threat and now she's more likely to join in for the fun! I guess threats sometimes work?

Most Excellent! (um, re her attendance, not the threat... (; )

cheron98

klezman wrote:Update: I informed molarchae about cat's threat and now she's more likely to join in for the fun! I guess threats sometimes work?

Muahaha...

HitAnyKey42

So does that mean you are a confirmed "yes" for splitting the 2-bedroom resort?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So does that mean you are a confirmed "yes" for splitting the 2-bedroom resort?

Wendy is not a confirmed "no" yet. Her guy can't make it but she is still considering coming solo, depending on her travel schedules.

klezman

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So does that mean you are a confirmed "yes" for splitting the 2-bedroom resort?

Most likely, say 90%. The delay in confirming is due to my impending move and sorting out logistics from there. I'll try to get it sorted asap, though, since I suspect you need to make reservations.

sanity

I'd like to throw out an idea for dinner/tasting on the 19th.

It's called Project Dinner Table, and it's in it's 3rd year. Several dinners are held throughout the year, in a special outdoor setting, with a special theme. It is a 6 course dinner, including wine and/or beer parings, tax, tip and gratuity. The cost averages $150 per person.

Check out the website here, and the FAQ here.

It is pricey, but it is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. What do you think?

I am happy to do dinner at my house. I just saw that this is happening the same weekend and thought it would be a fun event.

mommadeb1

sanity wrote:I'd like to throw out an idea for dinner/tasting on the 19th.

It's called Project Dinner Table, and it's in it's 3rd year. Several dinners are held throughout the year, in a special outdoor setting, with a special theme. It is a 6 course dinner, including wine and/or beer parings, tax, tip and gratuity. The cost averages $150 per person.

Check out the website here, and the FAQ here.

It is pricey, but it is truly a one-of-a-kind experience. What do you think?

I am happy to do dinner at my house. I just saw that this is happening the same weekend and thought it would be a fun event.

Looks interesting!!

cheron98

sanity wrote:The cost averages $150 per person.

Looks interesting, but I don't think I'm going to be able to swing that in the budget. Obviously, I am happy to send money your way to help cover costs for a gathering at your place, but with all the dining out we tend to do that weekend, one meal at $150 is just not going to work.

HitAnyKey42

As cool as it sounds, it's just not something I can swing this year. With all the other things going on, such as RPM Tour, and other expenses and such, a dinner thingy like that is just not in the budget. Also, we wouldn't really get a chance to "hang out" like us wooters like to do when we get together to drink, taste, & socialize. I prefer the more private setting of just us.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

sanity

A message from Grape Expectations:

Behold: THE POWER OF THE GRAPE
Celebration: ST. PADDY'S DAY - GRAPE EXPECTATIONS STYLE
When: SATURDAY, MARCH 17, 2012
Where: HENDERSON, NV (WATER STREET)

Details:
Our legendary participation in the 2012 “Sons Of Erin Parade” will include the Grape Expectations float comprised of the O’Bacchus throne, an “I love Lucy” tub (complete with fair maidens), a podium that will house the musical director, KJ Howe, as he conductsYOU AND FELLOW WINEMAKERS in the “TRAIN WRECK MARCHING BAND”

NEW THIS YEAR: Our float will include approximately ten “Bacchus Babes” towing the O’Bacchus throne down the parade route. Contact Charlie at 806-3383 if you are interested in being an “O’Bacchus Babe”. We are accepting “Babes” of all ages, shapes and sizes.

As a winemaking member of the “TRAIN WRECK MARCHING BAND”, you are required to bring with you a musical instrument that you DON’T KNOW HOW TO PLAY.

Don’t have an instrument? No problem! There will be plenty of flags to wave for those of you wishing to ride on the float.

Parade uniforms are the same as last years’…an Irish green CORK SQUAD T-SHIRT. If you would like to purchase a new shirt, they are available for $10.00 (men sizes – small, medium, large, XL, XXL and XXXL). These shirts run very small so play it safe and order a size up from what you would normally order. In case it’s chilly you may want to order 2 sizes up so you can “layer up”. Please email Charlie at umakeadawine@aol.com with the number of shirts and sizes.

The parade route is the length of WATER ST. in Henderson (Approx. ¾ of a mile, South to North). Unfortunately, we are unable to give anyone a ride back to his or her initial parking spot, so parking somewhere near the middle of the parade route is suggested. There is ample parking at City Hall.

Drinking on the parade route is prohibited so please be a good Grape Expectations ambassador and comply. We will have a BLOODY MARY buffet in our own private staging area very near the parade starting point. The Bloody Mary buffet includes a large cup of our homemade mix with or without alcohol accompanied by a variety of accoutrements. Keep in mind it is not breakfast!

The Grape Expectations meeting place is in the parking lot of EMERY’S RESTAURANT, 306 Water St., Henderson, NV 89015 located at the south end of Water St. (South West corner of Water & E. Basic). Look for the official Grape Expectations party bus (with the Grape X banner) that will be parked in Emery’s parking lot parallel to Water St. We will be assembling for Bloody Marys between 9:00 am and 10:00 am. The parade starts at 10:00 am - SHARP. If you miss the start, please feel free to catch up and join in. Sorry, but there are no parking accommodations at Emery’s.

The post parade party is schedule for one hour after our participation in the parade has ended. Please don’t arrive at Grape Expectations before then. The party will include beer, wine, Larry’s Homemade 3 Bean Chili, our signature dish…Tot-Chos i.e., Tater-Tot Nachos and much more. Please let Charlie know via email how many people you expect to attend to ensure there is enough food and drinks.

Not everyone will be receiving this notice, so please share this info with ALL OF YOUR BARREL MATES. Let’s make sure no one is left out. Any original ideas you wish to share for enhancement of our “2-time Award Winning Float” would be greatly appreciated. Just give Charlie a call 806-3383.

Charlie Peters/Chief Wine Officer (CWO)
Grape Expectations

Imagine4vr

That dinner sounds awesome, but if I was going to spend $150 on a single meal, I'd rather spend $200 and go to Robuchon or someplace equivalent. And sad to say, neither is probably in my budget for this trip

I think we should all contribute to your costs for doing a dinner for us though.

I am going to be in Vegas (I hope) the 17th and 18th with my friend, planning on going to see the Cubs play both days. I was going to drop you an email, I hope you might be available for dinner on Sat or Sun night.

----------

mommadeb1

I didn't think about the social aspect...I would rather contribute to dinner at Sanitys... that way we could actually talk.... and chill out...

sanity

I like the idea of doing the get-together at my place, too, because it is nice to hang out, be comfortable, not worry about taking up space in a restaurant, etc.

So, time to start thinking of a theme, and types of food.

Any requests, besides the lamb?

And for the theme, do we want to pick a country, a type of wine - ideas please.

tenuki

Just throwing this out there.

Phantom of the Opera

Haven't looked at shows for our weekend but deal is for shows through 5/31 so ...

CT

cheron98

tenuki wrote:Just throwing this out there.

Phantom of the Opera

Haven't looked at shows for our weekend but deal is for shows through 5/31 so ...

I KNOW I saw that and immediately hopped out there to go find tickets and there's a TON of mezzanine tickets available for Monday night. Theater is dark on Sundays, it looks like, though. Also, performances are 7pm Friday, Saturday, Monday, with 9:30pm performances available Saturday and Monday.

But I know most people aren't staying through til Tuesday, and Friday is too early

Imagine4vr

tenuki wrote:Just throwing this out there.

Phantom of the Opera

I saw the Vegas show of Phantom a few years ago. It was a great show - but - if you're a big fan of Phantom you might be disappointed since they do cut out quite a bit to fit in less than a 90 min show.

At $66 though, I think it would be worth it. Unfortunately I won't be in town Mon night.

----------