chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:After listening to my stepkid drone on about some YouTube channel that shows Aaron Hernandezs shooting crap out of shotguns I'm now firmly okay with prohibiting autistic people from owning guns. I can only imagine what he'll do when he can buy a gun. TOUCHDOWN!.


Build him a potato cannon. That should satisfy his urge to shoot random crap into the air. Or not.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:After listening to my stepkid drone on about some YouTube channel that shows Aaron Hernandezs shooting crap out of shotguns I'm now firmly okay with prohibiting autistic people from owning guns. I can only imagine what he'll do when he can buy a gun. TOUCHDOWN!.



Oh dear. Does he want to shoot living things?

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chipgreen wrote:Build him a potato cannon. That should satisfy his urge to shoot random crap into the air. Or not.



Or make it worse. Kinda why I never got him into martial arts. I should probably practice my, he was always such a good kid I don't know how this happened speech. Oh and shave the crazy biker beard.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:Or make it worse. Kinda why I never got him into martial arts. I should probably practice my, he was always such a good kid I don't know how this happened speech. Oh and shave the crazy biker beard.



Are you typing on an iPhone with the new greatest ever best software?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Are you typing on an iPhone with the new greatest ever best software?



I don't buy iProducts. But I am swipe typing on my rooted touchpad. Sometimes it doesn't do what I ask, more frequently what it puts in amuses me so I leave it.

And punctuation is a huge pain, so I rarely bother.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:Or make it worse. Kinda why I never got him into martial arts. I should probably practice my, he was always such a good kid I don't know how this happened speech. Oh and shave the crazy biker beard.



Who has the biker beard, you or him?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:I don't buy iProducts. But I am swipe typing on my rooted touchpad. Sometimes it doesn't do what I ask, more frequently what it puts in amuses me so I leave it.

And punctuation is a huge pain, so I rarely bother.



I was looking for confirmation that the touch keyboard software was changed and totally blows.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:Who has the biker beard, you or him?



Me. If he had a biker beard at 17 that'd be awesome.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:I was looking for confirmation that the touch keyboard software was changed and totally blows.



Its an iPhone. Consider that confirmation ;-)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Pretty quiet around here. Obama's face of success in his Rose Garden speech is no longer a success story:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/woman-cited-by-president-as-obamacare-success-story-frustrated-by-sign-up-process/?hpt=hp_t2

This keeps getting worse.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Pretty quiet around here. Obama's face of success in his Rose Garden speech is no longer a success story:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11/19/woman-cited-by-president-as-obamacare-success-story-frustrated-by-sign-up-process/?hpt=hp_t2

This keeps getting worse.



It is awful. I'm a wait-and-see type of person, but it looks super crappy so far. It's expensive. People can't afford it. I haven't seen any proposed solutions for that.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Shoddily implemented, to be sure. The law, imo, is significantly better than the pre-ACA status quo. Next priority for health care ought to be figuring out how to get the value of services in line with the rest of the developed world. But what do I know...I'm just a Canadian who thinks everybody ought to have access to affordable healthcare and that paying for it via emergency room visits isn't the answer.

I don't understand how they could screw up the website so badly. I do know that if certain red state governors hadn't refused to implement the law, the feds wouldn't have had to do it themselves. The website in California seems to be working as designed.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
klezman wrote:Shoddily implemented, to be sure. The law, imo, is significantly better than the pre-ACA status quo. Next priority for health care ought to be figuring out how to get the value of services in line with the rest of the developed world. But what do I know...I'm just a Canadian who thinks everybody ought to have access to affordable healthcare and that paying for it via emergency room visits isn't the answer.



I don't think you have to be Canadian to think that same thing. The question is how do we get there? This does not look affordable to me. I went on my state's website and checked for a family of 4, both adults in mid-thirties, $60,000 income. The cheapest plan is $740 per month and it has a $10,000 deductible. You also have to pay a $50 copay for office visits, plus 40% coinsurance after deductible.

Is it just me, or does that add up to 20-25% of this family's take-home pay for a plan with a huge deductible and you still pay 40%? I can see how people are less than thrilled with this, really.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:I do know that if certain red state governors hadn't refused to implement the law, the feds wouldn't have had to do it themselves.



Snipped. This statement is very true, and the state websites are all running really smoothly and are enrolling people. That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for this to be such a mess. I can trace how we got to this point: take no bids, use a family friend as the architect, assume they know what they're doing, sign off on 5 million lines of code, look for no outside help from websites that do this millions of times per day, and then act shocked, absolutely shocked, when something goes wrong.

This is, IMO, inexcusable. And the general public acting as we expect them to, they are conflating the site issues with issues with the law and the pubs -- the lot of them absolutely nuts and disconnected from modern times, as we've talked about -- are holding on to this. And they should! But this seems like the beginning of the end for any hope of logic or progress in 2016. It's a while away, but it isn't auspicious for any of us.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:I don't think you have to be Canadian to think that same thing. The question is how do we get there? This does not look affordable to me. I went on my state's website and checked for a family of 4, both adults in mid-thirties, $60,000 income. The cheapest plan is $740 per month and it has a $10,000 deductible. You also have to pay a $50 copay for office visits, plus 40% coinsurance after deductible.

Is it just me, or does that add up to 20-25% of this family's take-home pay for a plan with a huge deductible and you still pay 40%? I can see how people are less than thrilled with this, really.



WOW you need to move! In CT gold plans are ~$500/mo for the family of 4 making 60k (37+35,10/7yo) with a $2k deductable, and $20 copays.

Those deductibles are still too high to be "affoardable" imho...

As a point of comparison, back in 2001 when I cobra'd coverage for myself, it was $640/mo.


PS CT built it's own exchange, and it is fast and seemingly works...

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Snipped. This statement is very true, and the state websites are all running really smoothly and are enrolling people.

Blue state Oregon not working out so well.
ZERO enrolled
Blue Hawaii 257


CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Blue state Oregon not working out so well.
ZERO enrolled


Not surprising since their website has yet to go live. At least people aren't bashing their heads against the wall repeatedly trying to enroll on a semi-functional website like the federal one. In Ohio we have our own exchange but rely on the federal website to compare and purchase plans, unfortunately.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:WOW you need to move! In CT gold plans are ~$500/mo for the family of 4 making 60k (37+35,10/7yo) with a $2k deductable, and $20 copays.

Those deductibles are still too high to be "affoardable" imho...

As a point of comparison, back in 2001 when I cobra'd coverage for myself, it was $640/mo.


PS CT built it's own exchange, and it is fast and seemingly works...



Wow, that's a huge difference! My cousin in Alaska said hers was also some ungodly number, I forget but it was worse than NV. I wonder why it varies so much.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Sorry to get two conversations going at once, but the Los Angeles Unified School District wants every student to have an iPad. They tested it. The students cracked the "security" software immediately. Outside of the implementation cost, it's going to cost $60M/yr for the new software. I know this is region-specific, but it's just unbelievable to me. By the way, there are schools in the LAUSD that don't have current books! Instead of buying important school supplies like books, we're giving the kids an iPad so they can FB and tweet and look at Mayflower Contract in class. Uhhhhhhh . . .

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
kylemittskus wrote:we're giving the kids an iPad so they can FB and tweet and look at Mayflower Contract in class. Uhhhhhhh . . .



Jealous much? ;)

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
chemvictim wrote:I don't think you have to be Canadian to think that same thing. The question is how do we get there? This does not look affordable to me. I went on my state's website and checked for a family of 4, both adults in mid-thirties, $60,000 income. The cheapest plan is $740 per month and it has a $10,000 deductible. You also have to pay a $50 copay for office visits, plus 40% coinsurance after deductible.

Is it just me, or does that add up to 20-25% of this family's take-home pay for a plan with a huge deductible and you still pay 40%? I can see how people are less than thrilled with this, really.



Yikes...agreed that's nowhere near affordable by my definition.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Snipped. This statement is very true, and the state websites are all running really smoothly and are enrolling people. That being said, there is absolutely no excuse for this to be such a mess.



Yes, there's no reason they should have screwed this up so shockingly completely. Sigh.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm


quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

[suspend lurking]

ObamaCare is turning out pretty much the way all of us non-Democrats figured: more expensive (whether as premiums, deductibles, co-pays or co-insurance), worse coverage in many cases (if you can get it) and a website messed up to a fare-thee-well. Oh, and many plans have dropped doctors and hospitals (which you were promised you could keep). Sigh. Almost two-thirds of the uninsured who've tried to enroll have either a negative or very negative experience with it.

Obama was briefed in March about the McKinsey report warning about the problems with the website.

The Democrats unanimously voted against a 'pubbie bill in 2010 which would have repealed the HHS regulations which have totally gutted the grandfathering.

Government brief submitted a month or so ago in a court case said they expect at least half the employer market plans to fail grandfathering tossing another 100-odd million people out of insurance.

ObamaCare is the single biggest government policy debacle since Prohibition, which virtually destroyed the American wine industry. Remember, the California wine industry did not regain the reputation for quality wine it had in 1910 until after 1970.

It's also the only great social policy experiment passed on a purely partisan basis.

[ resume lurking]

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

There are very few RPM posts that are more than a few sentences that I agree with entirely. This is one of those few. It is an absolute, utter mess and it was predicted to be by many.

Someone on the WLTV politics forum said something I found pretty absurd about the "you like your plan" statement that turned out to be a bold-faced lie. He said something along the lines of: we should have known Obama wasn't speaking literally because some plans didn't meet the basic required coverage so of course they couldn't be kept. F me (and the rest of us) for actually listening to and believing a pretty basic and declarative statement made by the President.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:There are very few RPM posts that are more than a few sentences that I agree with entirely. This is one of those few. It is an absolute, utter mess and it was predicted to be by many.

Someone on the WLTV politics forum said something I found pretty absurd about the "you like your plan" statement that turned out to be a bold-faced lie. He said something along the lines of: we should have known Obama wasn't speaking literally because some plans didn't meet the basic required coverage so of course they couldn't be kept. F me (and the rest of us) for actually listening to and believing a pretty basic and declarative statement made by the President.



Agreed. I am truly surprised by how expensive it is, at least in my state. I've never shopped for private insurance, though, so what do I know?

ERMD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

http://www.jacksoncoker.com/cmscontent/Emails/Surveys/ACA/images/Physician-Survey-Obamacare.pdf

This is a survey from physicians about ACA. Hope you can open it, if not let me know and I will email a copy.
What a debacle !

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
rpm wrote:[suspend lurking]

ObamaCare is turning out pretty much the way all of us non-Democrats figured: more expensive (whether as premiums, deductibles, co-pays or co-insurance), worse coverage in many cases (if you can get it) and a website messed up to a fare-thee-well. Oh, and many plans have dropped doctors and hospitals (which you were promised you could keep). Sigh. Almost two-thirds of the uninsured who've tried to enroll have either a negative or very negative experience with it.

Obama was briefed in March about the McKinsey report warning about the problems with the website.

The Democrats unanimously voted against a 'pubbie bill in 2010 which would have repealed the HHS regulations which have totally gutted the grandfathering.

Government brief submitted a month or so ago in a court case said they expect at least half the employer market plans to fail grandfathering tossing another 100-odd million people out of insurance.

ObamaCare is the single biggest government policy debacle since Prohibition, which virtually destroyed the American wine industry. Remember, the California wine industry did not regain the reputation for quality wine it had in 1910 until after 1970.

It's also the only great social policy experiment passed on a purely partisan basis.

[ resume lurking]


Well said!

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
kylemittskus wrote:There are very few RPM posts that are more than a few sentences that I agree with entirely. This is one of those few. It is an absolute, utter mess and it was predicted to be by many.

Someone on the WLTV politics forum said something I found pretty absurd about the "you like your plan" statement that turned out to be a bold-faced lie. He said something along the lines of: we should have known Obama wasn't speaking literally because some plans didn't meet the basic required coverage so of course they couldn't be kept. F me (and the rest of us) for actually listening to and believing a pretty basic and declarative statement made by the President.



Also well said!!

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:There are very few RPM posts that are more than a few sentences that I agree with entirely. This is one of those few. It is an absolute, utter mess and it was predicted to be by many.

Someone on the WLTV politics forum said something I found pretty absurd about the "you like your plan" statement that turned out to be a bold-faced lie. He said something along the lines of: we should have known Obama wasn't speaking literally because some plans didn't meet the basic required coverage so of course they couldn't be kept. F me (and the rest of us) for actually listening to and believing a pretty basic and declarative statement made by the President.



Hey don't blame me! I never believed it, but then again I rarely believe anything a politician says.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

EDIT: Some opinions shouldn't be shared, even in here ;)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mother wrote:EDIT: Some opinions shouldn't be shared, even in here ;)



i'm so sad I missed this

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ERMD wrote:http://www.jacksoncoker.com/cmscontent/Emails/Surveys/ACA/images/Physician-Survey-Obamacare.pdf

This is a survey from physicians about ACA. Hope you can open it, if not let me know and I will email a copy.
What a debacle !



I don't understand how it all works. I go to the doc for an office visit, she charges me $!50, but she accepts a much lower amount from my insurance company. I assume there's some kind of bargaining that goes on there? Last time I had blood work done, my bill was close to $200, then insurance paid them something like $20. Do the doctors get more $$ from insurance than the amount which is disclosed to me? Because it is a low amount. I'm confused.

dlschier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
chemvictim wrote:I don't understand how it all works. I go to the doc for an office visit, she charges me $!50, but she accepts a much lower amount from my insurance company. I assume there's some kind of bargaining that goes on there? Last time I had blood work done, my bill was close to $200, then insurance paid them something like $20. Do the doctors get more $$ from insurance than the amount which is disclosed to me? Because it is a low amount. I'm confused.



Insurance companies have great bargaining power to negotiate low rates. That is what the service provider gets paid. But don't worry, they make up the difference on the people that don't have insurance who have to pay full price.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
dlschier wrote:Insurance companies have great bargaining power to negotiate low rates. That is what the service provider gets paid. But don't worry, they make up the difference on the people that don't have insurance who have to pay full price.



Generally, the people who don't have insurance can't afford any part of the medical bill. Those people are not how the medical providers are making up their "losses."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dlschier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
kylemittskus wrote:Generally, the people who don't have insurance can't afford any part of the medical bill. Those people are not how the medical providers are making up their "losses."



Just highlighting one of the ironies of our medical system. There are uninsured who do get charged and pay full price. In most cases though they probably just don't get the $200 blood test.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
dlschier wrote:Insurance companies have great bargaining power to negotiate low rates. That is what the service provider gets paid. But don't worry, they make up the difference on the people that don't have insurance who have to pay full price.



An excellent demonstration of the stupidity of the American health care "system". Kickbacks and freeloaders everywhere. Seems rather inequitable to me. Again, though, the disclaimer of Canadian who thinks health care ought to be cheap, effective, and accessible.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:An excellent demonstration of the stupidity of the American health care "system". Kickbacks and freeloaders everywhere. Seems rather inequitable to me. Again, though, the disclaimer of Canadian who thinks health care ought to be cheap, effective, and accessible.



I feel the same way about women!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
dlschier wrote:Just highlighting one of the ironies of our medical system. There are uninsured who do get charged and pay full price. In most cases though they probably just don't get the $200 blood test.



Everyone who is uninsured gets charged. They just rarely, and I mean rarely, pay. They get collection calls and credit hits and and and, but such things don't affect most of the uninsured who receive significant care.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dlschier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
kylemittskus wrote:Everyone who is uninsured gets charged. They just rarely, and I mean rarely, pay. They get collection calls and credit hits and and and, but such things don't affect most of the uninsured who receive significant care.



I do believe forfeiting your credit and being driven into bankruptcy because you have a serious medical issue would affect most.

dlschier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier
bhodilee wrote:I feel the same way about women!



Sounds like you need another kind of affordable care.