chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:How about just floor you car and run them over? Anyhow this is a silly discussion, none of us want to murder people. (I hope)

Hopefully not, but this kid apparently did. I think that his having access to his parent's gun made it easier for him to do so. I wish gun owners (the irresponsible ones) would take this more seriously.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:Hopefully not, but this kid apparently did. I think that his having access to his parent's gun made it easier for him to do so. I wish gun owners (the irresponsible ones) would take this more seriously.

I heard (from a person, not a news source directly) that they're going to go after the parents in this one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Knowing that we have some teachers among the Woot clan, I have a question.

Is there anyone out there who has researched the Common Core education standards, and could fill me in on what is involved?

While I was in Rochester NY last week, I talked with someone who is heavily involved with the local Tea Party there. She is a former schoolteacher, and made some claims that sounded outlandish to me:

- She claimed that the Common Core was going to specify down to the lesson-plan level, mandating (the example she used) that Social Studies and History classes would not be allowed to tailor lessons toward their own states or regions but instead would be given the exact material to be taught at each grade level. So, and again using her example, students in Montana would learn a minimal amount about Montana, but a lot about Massachusetts.

- She also said that a uniform curriculum was a step in the direction of Nazziism ("That's what Hitler did!", and yes I intentionally spelled that wrong), which wasn't tough to parry but shows how strong the opposition to the Core Curriculum is in some circles.

Anyway, I'd love to learn more but don't have the time for the kind of in-depth research I've done on some issues in the past. I'd love to hear from someone with more knowledge than I have.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
coynedj wrote:Knowing that we have some teachers among the Woot clan, I have a question.

Is there anyone out there who has researched the Common Core education standards, and could fill me in on what is involved?

While I was in Rochester NY last week, I talked with someone who is heavily involved with the local Tea Party there. She is a former schoolteacher, and made some claims that sounded outlandish to me:

- She claimed that the Common Core was going to specify down to the lesson-plan level, mandating (the example she used) that Social Studies and History classes would not be allowed to tailor lessons toward their own states or regions but instead would be given the exact material to be taught at each grade level. So, and again using her example, students in Montana would learn a minimal amount about Montana, but a lot about Massachusetts.

- She also said that a uniform curriculum was a step in the direction of Nazziism ("That's what Hitler did!", and yes I intentionally spelled that wrong), which wasn't tough to parry but shows how strong the opposition to the Core Curriculum is in some circles.

Anyway, I'd love to learn more but don't have the time for the kind of in-depth research I've done on some issues in the past. I'd love to hear from someone with more knowledge than I have.

How many times did she use the word "indoctrinated"?

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
chipgreen wrote:How many times did she use the word "indoctrinated"?

Not once, to my memory. But it was clear that it was a case of blind opposition, and the term "heavy-handed government" was used, along with the Hitler quote I already mentioned.

I brought up what I thought was obvious - that a lot of kids move from one district or school to another each year, and a common base curriculum would help avoid stepping into a new school either way behind or having to repeat material already learned - and she admitted that she hadn't thought of that.

An explanation of how it was a step toward Fascismo was never even attempted - the subject was quickly changed to something we agreed on (that we should stick with daylight savings time all year round).

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
coynedj wrote:Knowing that we have some teachers among the Woot clan, I have a question.

If you have school age children or grandchildren, it is worth the time and effort for in depth research!

chemvictim

Interesting, but I'm sure it's really all about voter fraud. Right?

Yelton went on to say that the photo ID law would “kick Democrats in the butt.”

“If [the photo ID law] hurts the whites, so be it. If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it,” Yelton said.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
chemvictim wrote:Interesting, but I'm sure it's really all about voter fraud. Right?

Yelton went on to say that the photo ID law would “kick Democrats in the butt.”

“If [the photo ID law] hurts the whites, so be it. If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that want the government to give them everything, so be it,” Yelton said.

Caution! Third rail!
He said some really stupid things, but consider, here in CA I need a photo ID to take certain items, copper for one, to recyclers and get paid for scrap value.

Interesting list:

List of things that require photo identification
Some are federal, but most are state laws or activities where I live.

1. Boarding an airplane
2. Writing a check
3. Cashing a check
4. Using a credit card
5. Driving a motor vehicle
6. Applying for a business license
7. Applying for permission to hold a protest or rally
8. Securing employment
9. Purchasing a house or real estate
10. Renting a domicile
11. Renting a motor vehicle
12. Purchasing a firearm (Includes BB guns)
13. Applying for a hunting license (waived for 16 and 17 year olds when their legal guardian provides a photo ID)
14. Applying for a fishing license (waived for 16 and 17 year olds when their legal guardian provides a photo ID)
15. Purchasing alcoholic beverages
16. Purchasing tobacco or products that contain nicotine
17. Purchasing a motor vehicle
18. Initial registration of a motor vehicle
19. Applying for a building permit
20. Receiving prescription medicine
21. Purchasing OTC medicine that contains pseudoephedrine
22. Serving on jury duty
23. Getting a bank account
24. Cash transactions of $5000.00 or greater
25. Sales tax exemption for people aged 80 and above

Of the above, numbers 2, 3 and 4 are not state law but at a business owners discretion. By law, they can demand it. Numbers 15, 16 and 25 are usually applied using common sense, as in if you appear to be too young the business can demand proof and refuse to engage in the activity if one cannot provide proof of the required age law.

All of the above are things that occur on a daily basis but not necessarily to everybody.
Despite the above common actions that people engage in, some seem to think that asking for a photo ID for voting purposes is somehow a violation of civil liberties or an attempt to prevent people from voting. The really interesting part is that it is usually liberals claiming that it is conservatives attempting to prevent people from voting when a photo ID law would apply equally to both liberals and conservatives. Heck, they would apply equally regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, weight, sexual orientation, income, health, disability, race, wealth, intelligence, marital status, attractiveness, employment status and everything else. Is there something wrong with preventing the dead, the illegal aliens, the young (under the age of suffrage) and other non-qualified people from voting just as we prevent them from engaging in the activities listed above?

CT

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:All of the above are things that occur on a daily basis but not necessarily to everybody.
Despite the above common actions that people engage in, some seem to think that asking for a photo ID for voting purposes is somehow a violation of civil liberties or an attempt to prevent people from voting.

Um, I don't think it's a violation of civil liberties but I do believe that it is intended to make it more difficult to vote, and to weed out undesirables. At least Don Yelton was honest about it. Every study I've seen suggests the voter ID laws disproportionately affect the elderly, the poor, and minorities. If the goal is really only to reduce in person voter fraud, which is very rare in the first place, lawmakers would at least acknowledge and pretend to care about the disproportionate impact on certain groups.

kylemittskus

Time to wake this sleeping dog up since lots has changed and I don't think any of it for the better.

Obviously, the website for Obamacare is an absolute mess. I wonder if it would have been a better site if there were actually bids for the job. There weren't. It went to a friend of the Obamas.

And ironically, this may be a good thing for the Obama administration since 20% (Obama numbers) of people are losing their plans. Remember Obama's quote: "You like your current plan? You can keep it." This seems to be falling aside as people are focusing on the site issues.

And now, an internal memo released three days ago says that there were security concerns. Nothing changed so there are still security issues. I know nothing about technology, especially coding and such but I assume that with the site being such a mess, it makes hacking easier (?).

All of this to say, I'm petrified of the Republican party currently, but I don't see how democrats can do anything positive when their current motto is "we didn't know." And I don't see how I can support either side.

Most recent NBC News/Wallstreet Journal poll shows right now, 35% of people would choose a dem, 28% a pub, and 30% (!!!) a third-party for a congressional seat.

kylemittskus

Also, NY raised the cigarette purchase age to 21? What the hell is happening in New York?!?!

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Also, NY raised the cigarette purchase age to 21? What the hell is happening in New York?!?!

Cigarettes are overall worse for you and more addicting than alcohol. Makes sense to me! Of course, it would make way more sense to me if both were 18.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

As for healthcare.gov, I work at a software company making web-based applications. It's hard. Things go wrong. We've only got a few clients to serve and the site isn't yet terribly dynamic, but it takes a *huge* amount of time, resources, testing, and planning to make sure something like that works. It's extremely unlikely that something this huge will work properly out of the gate. To me, it's less about the problems to date and more about whether/how they fix them. Not saying whether they're currently doing a good job at fixing it, but that's my criteria.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

Guess who will not attend the 150 year anniversary of the Gettysburg address.

Maybe he will be busy fixing things.

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:Time to wake this sleeping dog up since lots has changed and I don't think any of it for the better.

Obviously, the website for Obamacare is an absolute mess. I wonder if it would have been a better site if there were actually bids for the job. There weren't. It went to a friend of the Obamas.

And ironically, this may be a good thing for the Obama administration since 20% (Obama numbers) of people are losing their plans. Remember Obama's quote: "You like your current plan? You can keep it." This seems to be falling aside as people are focusing on the site issues.

And now, an internal memo released three days ago says that there were security concerns. Nothing changed so there are still security issues. I know nothing about technology, especially coding and such but I assume that with the site being such a mess, it makes hacking easier (?).

All of this to say, I'm petrified of the Republican party currently, but I don't see how democrats can do anything positive when their current motto is "we didn't know." And I don't see how I can support either side.

Most recent NBC News/Wallstreet Journal poll shows right now, 35% of people would choose a dem, 28% a pub, and 30% (!!!) a third-party for a congressional seat.

It's a mess, isn't it? Third-party might be the way to go. The dems are pathetic, the pubs are awful. Right now I can't even choose the lesser of two evils.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
chemvictim wrote:It's a mess, isn't it? Third-party might be the way to go. The dems are pathetic, the pubs are awful. Right now I can't even choose the lesser of two evils.

I wish that the pubs would split so I could vote for the centrist part.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cmaldoon wrote:I wish that the pubs would split so I could vote for the centrist part.

+1

kylemittskus

mother wrote:+1

How unlikely is that to happen? Not necessarily fully, but to have the govt-mandated morality and fiscally kind of confusing "party" actually separate themselves a bit during elections.

mother

kylemittskus wrote:How unlikely is that to happen? Not necessarily fully, but to have the govt-mandated morality and fiscally kind of confusing "party" actually separate themselves a bit during elections.

Pretty TRICK-OR-TREATing unlikely. Particularly when all the blowhards keep going on TV and explaining how the pubs keep losing because they're not socially reprehensible enough...

chemvictim

mother wrote:Pretty TRICK-OR-TREATing unlikely. Particularly when all the blowhards keep going on TV and explaining how the pubs keep losing because they're not socially reprehensible enough...

They really didn't give us a choice in the last presidential election. Maybe next time will be better.

Obamacare is looking more and more like a big ol' mess. I think the pubs have a great opportunity here. Their behavior during the shutdown didn't do them any favors, but the bar is set really low for reasonable behavior right now. They can turn it around.

kylemittskus

You mean theoretically, right chem?

Them realizing the opportunity they have and how to handle it requires that they step into the world the rest of us live in.

mother

chemvictim wrote:
Obamacare is looking more and more like a big ol' mess.

In reality the "big ol' mess" is the people of the states that TOUCHDOWN!ed their citizens over by not setting up their own exchanges now being "screwed" by the non-working mega exchange the feds were forced to try to run. And until it's still broken on March 1st or so next year, it's still not really a problem, IMHO. Vote your state pols out if that causes you angst about paying $95.

It boggles me not at all how that project managed to fail...

chemvictim

mother wrote:In reality the "big ol' mess" is the people of the states that TOUCHDOWN!ed their citizens over by not setting up their own exchanges now being "screwed" by the non-working mega exchange the feds were forced to try to run. And until it's still broken on March 1st or so next year, it's still not really a problem, IMHO. Vote your state pols out if that causes you angst about paying $95.

It boggles me not at all how that project managed to fail...

Well yeah, that much is true. My state has its own exchange and it was up and running from the beginning.

But also, the "if you like your plan" crap. Not technically true. We'll see how it works out, but right now it looks like nobody knows what they're doing.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
chemvictim wrote:It's a mess, isn't it? Third-party might be the way to go. The dems are pathetic, the pubs are awful. Right now I can't even choose the lesser of two evils.

Agreed. The lesser of two evils are still evil. And, the thing is, I really don't think it's the individual that's the problem. I actually believe that the majority (or at least half) of people who first go into public office do so for good reasons and with good intentions. But, I believe that the parties and lobbying groups work to corrupt or so heavily influence these politicians that they can't see straight at the end of the day.

Voting for the lesser or two evils is still voting for one of the two corrupt parties.

Virginia has a Libertarian running for Governor. I watched a debate between the three last night. The Republican boasted, "Less than half of my ads were negative." The Democrat didn't respond because more than half of his ads were negative. The Libertarian said that 100% of his ads were positive and were meant to showcase what he stood for and what he was going to do in office. Granted, the Libertarian didn't run as many ads, but...It's a depressing fact and side-effect of our campaign and political system. Makes watching live TV this time of year awful...

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

vaaccess

I was driving to my voting location today and drove past a bald eagle in a corn field...It was pretty poetic, honestly. Now let's just hope that the politicians we vote into office can pull their heads out of their ass long enough to make some good improvements!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
vaaccess wrote:Agreed. The lesser of two evils are still evil. And, the thing is, I really don't think it's the individual that's the problem. I actually believe that the majority (or at least half) of people who first go into public office do so for good reasons and with good intentions. But, I believe that the parties and lobbying groups work to corrupt or so heavily influence these politicians that they can't see straight at the end of the day.

Voting for the lesser or two evils is still voting for one of the two corrupt parties.

Virginia has a Libertarian running for Governor. I watched a debate between the three last night. The Republican boasted, "Less than half of my ads were negative." The Democrat didn't respond because more than half of his ads were negative. The Libertarian said that 100% of his ads were positive and were meant to showcase what he stood for and what he was going to do in office. Granted, the Libertarian didn't run as many ads, but...It's a depressing fact and side-effect of our campaign and political system. Makes watching live TV this time of year awful...

I was seriously waiting for the punchline. That read like a joke. Sadly, it was, just not the funny kind.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

Palin is on the Today show this morning. She's insane. And she says Christmas is being attacked by atheists with attorneys. And she calls them "scrooges."

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:Palin is on the Today show this morning. She's insane. And she says Christmas is being attacked by atheists with attorneys. And she calls them "scrooges."

War on Christmas. Such BS.

More nuggets of wisdom from Palin

vaaccess

kylemittskus wrote:Palin is on the Today show this morning. She's insane. And she says Christmas is being attacked by atheists with attorneys. And she calls them "scrooges."

Sarah Palin is to politics what Britney Spears is to singers.

They both look the part and (mostly) act the part, but when you start listening to what comes out of their mouths...well...both are just awful.

kylemittskus

vaaccess wrote:Sarah Palin is to politics what Britney Spears is to singers.

They both look the part and (mostly) act the part, but when you start listening to what comes out of their mouths...well...both are just awful.

But, people actually listen to both of them.

Not scary: tweens listening to Britney Spears

Scary: voting adults listening to Palin's absurd, and often times patently false, statements.

vaaccess

kylemittskus wrote:But, people actually listen to both of them.

Scary: voting adults listening to Palin's absurd, and often times patently false, statements.

I would agree that voting for Mavericks like Palin is in most ways worse than listening to Spears, but...I still say both are evil. ;)

klezman

vaaccess wrote:I would agree that voting for Mavericks like Palin is in most ways worse than listening to Spears, but...I still say both are evil. ;)

+1

kylemittskus

In a more serious vein, I think I know what her role is. Throughout the interview, when given the opportunity to speak about political philosophy or explain a political stance she took or political statement she made, she chose to jab at the "liberals" or the democratic party instead. I get that everyone does it, but most people will actually try to discuss along with sniping. She's a distraction, a political red herring to chase. For all intents and purposes, she isn't "real." Sad state of politics today, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

chipgreen

Britney Spears on politics...

chipgreen

Sarah Palin music video....

vaaccess

chipgreen wrote:Sarah Palin music video....

Great stuff, Chipgreen.

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
kylemittskus wrote:But, people actually listen to both of them.

Scary: voting adults listening to OBAMA'S absurd, and often times patently false, statements.

I fixed your statement
Although I agree wholeheartedly about Palin; on an Aaron Hernandez scale she is a 9.5 ( I just can't give her a 10 for anything)

kylemittskus

ERMD wrote:I fixed your statement
Although I agree wholeheartedly about Palin; on an Aaron Hernandez scale she is a 9.5 ( I just can't give her a 10 for anything)

Yeah, pretty fair.

chipgreen

ERMD wrote:I fixed your statement

Like Palin herself, some satirical websites about her just won't go away.

This one is a lot of fun. Happy clicking!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

After listening to my stepkid drone on about some YouTube channel that shows Aaron Hernandezs shooting crap out of shotguns I'm now firmly okay with prohibiting autistic people from owning guns. I can only imagine what he'll do when he can buy a gun. TOUCHDOWN!.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)