kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
chemvictim wrote:We used to get some comments around here about phasing the whole damn thing out. Of course, not for Obamacare, just in general.

That'd be me. And I'm still all for getting rid of all of it. Seriously.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:That'd be me. And I'm still all for getting rid of all of it. Seriously.

How about we expand it to redistributive "entitlements" in general and roll things back to at least pre '65.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:That'd be me. And I'm still all for getting rid of all of it. Seriously.

I thought RPM was also in favor of phasing it out for people under 55. If you're lurking, RPM, sorry if I got that wrong.

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:How about we expand it to redistributive "entitlements" in general and roll things back to at least pre '65.

You might get accused of being mean to old people.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:How about we expand it to redistributive "entitlements" in general and roll things back to at least pre '65.

That'd be a start.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:You might get accused of being mean to old people.

I AM old people.
Well, next year anyway.
And it would be worth it if all the other chaff that has accumulated disappeared, but only if.

CT

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:I AM old people.
Well, next year anyway.
And it would be worth it if all the other chaff that has accumulated disappeared, but only if.

Unfortunately I don't think either party has any interest in that. I'm feeling cranky enough these days to go for it. I'll vote for you.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:Unfortunately I don't think either party has any interest in that. I'm feeling cranky enough these days to go for it. I'll vote for you.

I'm cranky too, and come with baggage, LOT'S of baggage...

CT

rjquillin

Sketchy web site for news, but what the heck, I'm cranky and can stir the pot.

From infowars, Obamacare Fines to be Seized From Bank Accounts? and given the IRS is charged with administering this, you really want to take a chance this isn't possible?

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:Sketchy web site for news, but what the heck, I'm cranky and can stir the pot.

From infowars, Obamacare Fines to be Seized From Bank Accounts? and given the IRS is charged with administering this, you really want to take a chance this isn't possible?

I don't believe it. I think we're going to see a lot of these apocryphal stories. I heard one on Rush's show yesterday, actually. Guy called in. Story was total BS.

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:Sketchy web site for news, but what the heck, I'm cranky and can stir the pot.

I would say remotely possible, but the article seems to debunk that. Gov't does get its money, somehow.

rjquillin

There certainly will be plenty flying from all directions. A couple months ago there was some trolling email that circulated of interest to those in CA with solar PV systems; I have one. Some CA legislator had introduced a bill to change, retroactively, terms and conditions in place when financial decisions were made to invest in power generation. It dealt not with rebates/credits, but rather how system owners would be compensated for energy produced and supplied back into the grid. Terms will be considerable less favorable in the future.

Turns out it also signed me up for move-on.org mailings; I've found these to be, interesting...

CT

klezman

quality posts: 127 Private Messages klezman
North316 wrote:Just thought you people might find this funny, or completely disturbing:

Obamacare v. Affordable Care Act

It's pretty funny, just terribly terribly sad.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
klezman wrote:It's pretty funny, just terribly terribly sad.

Yes- those people's vote counts just as much as yours!!

klezman

slm9951 wrote:Yes- those people's vote counts just as much as yours!!

Infinitely more so - I'm voteless. I'm one of those job-stealing immigrants (but of the legal sort). Just waiting on my green card. For which I'll have to wait indefinitely longer due to the children in DC. Speaking of which, I have to pay taxes without having my interests represented. Didn't some people fight a war over that in the late 1700's?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
klezman wrote:Speaking of which, I have to pay taxes without having my interests represented. Didn't some people fight a war over that in the late 1700's?

I wouldn't go posting stuff like this on the Internet if you really want a green card...

kylemittskus

mother wrote:I wouldn't go posting stuff like this on the Internet if you really want a green card...

Haha!

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm
chemvictim wrote:I thought RPM was also in favor of phasing it out for people under 55. If you're lurking, RPM, sorry if I got that wrong.

[/ suspend lurking]

That's pretty much correct. The reason to phase out is because those older than 55 (or so) who have reasonably relied on the government's promise don't really have time to alter their behavior to take the change into account. Those under 55 (or so) have more time to change their plans and make adjustments.

[resume lurking]

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

rpm wrote:[/ suspend lurking]

That's pretty much correct. The reason to phase out is because those older than 55 (or so) who have reasonably relied on the government's promise don't really have time to alter their behavior to take the change into account. Those under 55 (or so) have more time to change their plans and make adjustments.

[resume lurking]

I agree. Id also be ok with some sort of progressive system to assist those who have 2 or 5 years or whatever until they reach cut off age.

klezman

mother wrote:I wouldn't go posting stuff like this on the Internet if you really want a green card...

Hahahaha
Just pointing out the irony. Of course I pay my taxes the same as everybody else. Perhaps more by the book than some, since I do want that green card

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
klezman wrote:Hahahaha

Just make sure to tell your parents how much you love America next time you call, I'm sure that will undo any damage done ;)

chemvictim

hatethemhatethemhatethem

that's all I have

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:hatethemhatethemhatethem

that's all I have

Will this help out?

CT

chemvictim

See, that pic really bugs me. That's clearly a champagne cork.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:See, that pic really bugs me. That's clearly a champagne cork.

but that is what they serve in the WH, IH I even recall...

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:but that is what they serve in the WH, IH I even recall...

Yes, the Russian Cuvee was credited with helping to end the Cold War when Reagan served it to Gorbachev.

chemvictim

chipgreen wrote:Yes, the Russian Cuvee was credited with helping to end the Cold War when Reagan served it to Gorbachev.

If it worked then, maybe it can work now??!! Although they do not deserve IH.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:If it worked then, maybe it can work now??!! Although they do not deserve IH.

"THEY" would be Putin and Obama?
+1

CT

rjquillin

In Conversation: Antonin Scalia
Long read, but touches so many of our past discussions here.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:In Conversation: Antonin Scalia

I am going to read it in its entirety soon, but from a 3-second skim:

Words have meaning. And their meaning doesn't change.

Uh....

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:In Conversation: Antonin Scalia

I dislike him. In my opinion, his personal biases are a big problem. He pretends not to have these biases, but it's so obvious.

kylemittskus

chemvictim wrote:I dislike him. In my opinion, his personal biases are a big problem. He pretends not to have these biases, but it's so obvious.

From reading SWMBO's Con. Law book from law school, I like him sometimes and find him horribly biased in others. His biases seem to me (uneducated wrt to the law, his decisions in detail, legal theory, etc.) to be based on his interpretation of morality which seem to be based on western-religious morals. I'm concluding this from his opinion on obscenity cases and his recent 20+ page opinion on the overturning of DOMA.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:From reading SWMBO's Con. Law book from law school, I like him sometimes and find him horribly biased in others. His biases seem to me (uneducated wrt to the law, his decisions in detail, legal theory, etc.) to be based on his interpretation of morality which seem to be based on western-religious morals. I'm concluding this from his opinion on obscenity cases and his recent 20+ page opinion on the overturning of DOMA.

and yet I desperately want a "stupid, but constitutional" stamp also.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus

I don't agree with all of this, but some of it rings so unbelievably true. It's about the shutdown and how it's the pubs' fault. It addresses the party as a whole, though, and I think that this is where it's pretty accurate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/opinion/krugman-the-boehner-bunglers.html?_r=0

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:and yet I desperately want a "stupid, but constitutional" stamp also.

Yeah, I liked that part too.

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:I don't agree with all of this, but some of it rings so unbelievably true. It's about the shutdown and how it's the pubs' fault. It addresses the party as a whole, though, and I think that this is where it's pretty accurate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/07/opinion/krugman-the-boehner-bunglers.html?_r=0

+1

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:I don't agree with all of this, but some of it rings so unbelievably true. It's about the shutdown and how it's the pubs' fault. It addresses the party as a whole, though, and I think that this is where it's pretty accurate.

So happy not to live in N.Y.

CT

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:So happy not to live in N.Y.

Me too. But try to step outside of yourself for a moment and ignore your beliefs that generally coincide with what you think the Republican Party is. Do you really not agree that the party, at least those we see the most of, are seriously disconnected from current times in terms of science and the connection of education or overt religious beliefs being openly expressed to the detriment of the party? The conspiracy theories also make sense to me, claiming the media is all liberal (Fox is HUGE and more popular, IIRC, than other news networks). None of this rings true to you in the least?

rjquillin

kylemittskus wrote:Me too. But try to step outside of yourself for a moment and ignore your beliefs that generally coincide with what you think the Republican Party is. Do you really not agree that the party, at least those we see the most of, are seriously disconnected from current times in terms of science and the connection of education or overt religious beliefs being openly expressed to the detriment of the party? The conspiracy theories also make sense to me, claiming the media is all liberal (Fox is HUGE and more popular, IIRC, than other news networks). None of this rings true to you in the least?

I don't "see" many of them at all, as I avoid most video broadcast media for news; fox perhaps once a week.
If you are speaking about the likes Rove, Gingrich, McCain and some others, I consider them to be little more than establishment party hacks, Hannity to a somewhat lesser degree and all nearly totally disconnected with those they claim to represent. Stossel isn't too bad. The party, well, both of them, are interested in little more than the continuation of their power base to the detriment of the country, the Constitution and the People. Religion and reproduction are complex issues, and I don't much agree with how either party addresses them.
Is this at all what you expected?

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Me too. But try to step outside of yourself for a moment and ignore your beliefs that generally coincide with what you think the Republican Party is. Do you really not agree that the party, at least those we see the most of, are seriously disconnected from current times in terms of science and the connection of education or overt religious beliefs being openly expressed to the detriment of the party? The conspiracy theories also make sense to me, claiming the media is all liberal (Fox is HUGE and more popular, IIRC, than other news networks). None of this rings true to you in the least?

Let's forget for a minute who pubs or dems appeal too, lets look at what has been going on? Speaking for California only the Democratic Party has controlled the California Legislature for a nearly unbroken stretch of 42 years, now I know they don't control everything but we have always been a pretty left leaning state. So my question is, is California better off because of this? Are we considered a failed liberal state?? Who's policies should we use to recover from our financial mess to put it mildly? Or should we continue down the same path and hope it all turns around? "rant over"

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson