ERMD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
bhodilee wrote:So this happened, because this happened.

So basically, four people died because Nebraska doesn't like to keep people in prison. I have a friend who is a probation officer and she said you'd have to assault the judge before you'd actually go to prison in this state.



Such a nice young man, its societies fault.
Ok bodi, you know how I really feel.


kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

Kerry is saying that we need to do something in Syria, otherwise terrorists (he didn't use the word specifically) will be attracted to the area. I am so sick of terrorism -- and of course, the great "war on terror" -- being used as the excuse-for-all-action.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Kerry is saying that we need to do something in Syria, otherwise terrorists (he didn't use the word specifically) will be attracted to the area. I am so sick of terrorism -- and of course, the great "war on terror" -- being used as the excuse-for-all-action.



Kerry seems way too eager. I wonder what his real agenda is.

chipgreen


quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:Kerry is saying that we need to do something in Syria, otherwise terrorists (he didn't use the word specifically) will be attracted to the area. I am so sick of terrorism -- and of course, the great "war on terror" -- being used as the excuse-for-all-action.


The fact that we "did something" in Iraq is exactly what turned the country into a terrorist's paradise. There was no such thing as Al Qaeda in Iraq until after we invaded, not to mention the dozens of related factions and other terrorists who streamed into the country once we destabilized it.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chipgreen wrote:The fact that we "did something" in Iraq is exactly what turned the country into a terrorist's paradise. There was no such thing as Al Qaeda in Iraq until after we invaded, not to mention the dozens of related factions and other terrorists who streamed into the country once we destabilized it.



is the thinking, if they're busy there, they won't be plotting here?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:Kerry seems way too eager. I wonder what his real agenda is.






Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:



Absolutely awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

klezman


quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

Media skewering the media. Win.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/opinion/sunday/bruni-the-syria-babble-we-dont-need.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130908

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
chemvictim wrote:Kerry seems way too eager. I wonder what his real agenda is.


His agenda is simply to shill for the President, just like Hillary Clinton before him and Condy Rice before her.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Well, it appears that we won't be launching missiles at Syria any time soon after all. Even if it did seem to stem from an off-hand comment, this looks like a plan that can derail the march to war, and I like that.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

Democrats want a tiny milirary to send everywhere.

Republicans: want a huge military to send nowhere.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
bhodilee wrote:So this happened, because this happened.

So basically, four people died because Nebraska doesn't like to keep people in prison. I have a friend who is a probation officer and she said you'd have to assault the judge before you'd actually go to prison in this state.



Well it is hard to take a guy who looks like he passed out at a frat party and someone wrote on his face with marker as a serious threat. I can see why the judge let him go.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
funbunny wrote:Well it is hard to take a guy who looks like he passed out at a frat party and someone wrote on his face with marker as a serious threat. I can see why the judge let him go.



So, turns out the whole family is now in jail. One sister and mom for witness tampering, the other sister for criminal mischief, then she assaulted a guard and an inmate.

Now look, I'm a heartless bastard who thinks the only thing wrong with the death penalty is that we don't use it enough and it takes too long and isn't nearly cruel enough, but even a liberal would probably concede these folks are never going to contribute anything to the planet and maybe they should just not be part of it anymore.

Mission to Mars: use prisoners.

Also, we should go back to the "prison Island" thing. I feel like we could use some more Australia.

Edit: Also, as soon as you decide, while in prison, you know what, tattoos on my face are a great idea, it's time for you to go live on that island.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:So, turns out the whole family is now in jail. One sister and mom for witness tampering, the other sister for criminal mischief, then she assaulted a guard and an inmate.

Now look, I'm a heartless bastard who thinks the only thing wrong with the death penalty is that we don't use it enough and it takes too long and isn't nearly cruel enough, but even a liberal would probably concede these folks are never going to contribute anything to the planet and maybe they should just not be part of it anymore.

Mission to Mars: use prisoners.

Also, we should go back to the "prison Island" thing. I feel like we could use some more Australia.

Edit: Also, as soon as you decide, while in prison, you know what, tattoos on my face are a great idea, it's time for you to go live on that island.



But what if the President crash lands on that Island? Oh wait ....


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And for those who wonder about why we need the 2nd Amendment ...

Senate demands answers on EPA’s armed raid of Alaskan gold mine ...

... for a potential violation of the Clean Water Act.

"No arrests were made in the raid and no citations were issued."


... a staffer for an Alaskan senator said that the EPA sent in armed men because it had been given information by Alaska State Troopers regarding “rampant drug and human trafficking going on in the area.”

That explanation was debunked by a spokeswoman for the state troopers, who said they did not advise the EPA to raid the mine and that there was no evidence of drug and human trafficking occurring.

“The Alaska State Troopers did not advise the EPA that there was dangerous drug activity. We do not have evidence to suggest that is occurring,” said state police spokesperson Megan Peters.

The EPA also refused to call the use of armed officers to inspect a mine a “raid.”



Armed officers swarming isn't a "raid"?

And why does the EPA have armed officers? Isn't the US Marshals office supposed to handle this? Or the FBI?

The EPA is yet one more out of control Federal Agency (IRS anyone? TSA VIPR units?) with armed paramilitary units.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
bhodilee wrote:So, turns out the whole family is now in jail. One sister and mom for witness tampering, the other sister for criminal mischief, then she assaulted a guard and an inmate.

Now look, I'm a heartless bastard who thinks the only thing wrong with the death penalty is that we don't use it enough and it takes too long and isn't nearly cruel enough, but even a liberal would probably concede these folks are never going to contribute anything to the planet and maybe they should just not be part of it anymore.

Mission to Mars: use prisoners.

Also, we should go back to the "prison Island" thing. I feel like we could use some more Australia.

Edit: Also, as soon as you decide, while in prison, you know what, tattoos on my face are a great idea, it's time for you to go live on that island.



I live in the state of coerced confessions by battery and mild torture. Fortunately through the genius of DNA, a number of Death Row Alumni have been found to be entirely innocent. Unfortunately as a result, we had a moratorium on Death Penalty actions commissioned by a Governor who went to prison himself for taking bribes that lead to the death of almost an entire family.

Too bad for our famous evil clown Gacy he was caught with a basement full of bodies prior to this action. He could have been still living off the people in prison and making his freaky paintings.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
funbunny wrote:I live in the state of coerced confessions by battery and mild torture. Fortunately through the genius of DNA, a number of Death Row Alumni have been found to be entirely innocent. Unfortunately as a result, we had a moratorium on Death Penalty actions commissioned by a Governor who went to prison himself for taking bribes that lead to the death of almost an entire family.

Too bad for our famous evil clown Gacy he was caught with a basement full of bodies prior to this action. He could have been still living off the people in prison and making his freaky paintings.



Again, heartless bastard, but the occasional innocent, while sad, is going to happen regardless. Look at that kid that just got exonerated for terrible act. While it would be regrettable, maybe if we used Death a little more frequently people would make better choices. I think for certain on your third strike you should just die, like go straight from your guilty conviction to the noose.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
funbunny wrote:I live in the state of coerced confessions by battery and mild torture. Fortunately through the genius of DNA, a number of Death Row Alumni have been found to be entirely innocent. Unfortunately as a result, we had a moratorium on Death Penalty actions commissioned by a Governor who went to prison himself for taking bribes that lead to the death of almost an entire family.

Too bad for our famous evil clown Gacy he was caught with a basement full of bodies prior to this action. He could have been still living off the people in prison and making his freaky paintings.



I wish that "famous evil clown" had been a Woot filter.


What I love, is those who fight the Death Penalty and it's methods as "Cruel and Inhumane" punishment, yet feel nothing for the victims of those murderers, especially when those deaths were so obviously cruel and inhumane.


Of course, I also love that the police can lie to us all they want without any penalty, but if we lie to them, it's "Obstruction of Justice". Excuse me?


For the record, we have many good police out there, protecting us. Sadly, we also have some who go over the line.


Edit: Dang it! I wanted to mention that it's good we have DNA (and that it was kept as evidence) testing that allows us to exonerate the innocent and convict the guilty.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus

Once again, I agree with Sparky's post.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
MarkDaSpark wrote:I wish that "famous evil clown" had been a Woot filter.



Nope, it is the real deal. I think he is creepier than Captain Spaulding and Pennywise from It put together.



MarkDaSpark wrote: What I love, is those who fight the Death Penalty and it's methods as "Cruel and Inhumane" punishment, yet feel nothing for the victims of those murderers, especially when those deaths were so obviously cruel and inhumane.



Just like the community that rallies when a gang member is shot by a cop, protesting he was a misguided youth that didn't deserve to be killed. They are nowhere to be found when a cop is killed in the line of duty protecting their rears.


MarkDaSpark wrote: Of course, I also love that the police can lie to us all they want without any penalty, but if we lie to them, it's "Obstruction of Justice". Excuse me?



Can I get an Amen?

MarkDaSpark wrote: For the record, we have many good police out there, protecting us. Sadly, we also have some who go over the line.



That is why the "Brother Code" has to go out the window. If you are a good cop, you shouldn't (and most likely don't) want to work with dirty cops. The whole idea of a snitch is mor-onic and it says something about the others that want to protect a bad seed. I know there are some departments where the scale tips to the bad side, but overall I believe good cops out way bad greatly and unfortunately bureaucratic red tape and fear of losing one's job and possibly life is what keeps the badge on the bad.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

My dad was a cop for 35 years. He ran several units including the vice squad, and when the Chief was out of town he had a habit of bypassing higher-ranking officers and appointing my dad to cover for him. So, when it comes to police work, I tend to listen to what he has to say.

Back some years ago when he was still on the force (he's retired now), he got on local TV a lot because of his vocal opposition to the death penalty. He always said that it was very easy for mistakes to be made that point the police and the courts in the wrong direction, and with the death penalty you can't go back and have a retrial. Police work is nothing like what you see on TV - ambiguity is a constant problem, and it often happens that if (to pull numbers out of the air) there are 20 pieces of evidence and only two point toward guilt, you might only have access to those two. Even the most meticulous, honest officers can and do get it wrong, not because they do anything wrong but because it's not a job in which you can always get what you need. The irrevocability of the death penalty in the face of this was what he had a problem with, not the "cruel and unusual" argument.

Offered for what it's worth. With some people (like the guy in Cleveland) I do have a tendency to want to head to town and bring a rope, but his argument does have some force.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
coynedj wrote:My dad was a cop for 35 years. He ran several units including the vice squad, and when the Chief was out of town he had a habit of bypassing higher-ranking officers and appointing my dad to cover for him. So, when it comes to police work, I tend to listen to what he has to say.

Back some years ago when he was still on the force (he's retired now), he got on local TV a lot because of his vocal opposition to the death penalty. He always said that it was very easy for mistakes to be made that point the police and the courts in the wrong direction, and with the death penalty you can't go back and have a retrial. Police work is nothing like what you see on TV - ambiguity is a constant problem, and it often happens that if (to pull numbers out of the air) there are 20 pieces of evidence and only two point toward guilt, you might only have access to those two. Even the most meticulous, honest officers can and do get it wrong, not because they do anything wrong but because it's not a job in which you can always get what you need. The irrevocability of the death penalty in the face of this was what he had a problem with, not the "cruel and unusual" argument.

Offered for what it's worth. With some people (like the guy in Cleveland) I do have a tendency to want to head to town and bring a rope, but his argument does have some force.



Yes, especially in cases where the evidence is mostly circumstantial, the DP should be off the table. Those are the times I support Life Imprisonment Without the Possibility of Parole (LIWPP). Sadly, it doesn't always mean that (See Sirhan Sirhan).

And too often, some of the investigators develop "tunnel vision" and don't really check out all leads or clues (see JonBenet Ramsey case). Which leads to all sorts of false starts. And the media doesn't help either there.


However, where there is no doubt as to who committed the murders, there is no reason to delay for any length of time their execution.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

So, there's been another shooting. Cue the gun control dicketry from both sides.

klezman


quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

Any thoughts on the inane idiocy about the new Miss America? Apparently she's totally unamerican. Who knew a New Yorker was anything other than American? Why is this country so damn racist?

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Any thoughts on the inane idiocy about the new Miss America? Apparently she's totally unamerican. Who knew a New Yorker was anything other than American? Why is this country so damn racist?



We usually blame Canada.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:Any thoughts on the inane idiocy about the new Miss America? Apparently she's totally unamerican. Who knew a New Yorker was anything other than American? Why is this country so damn racist?



I was just thinking the other day that our generation is certainly racial, but not racist. And then this happens. Like many here, I am continually disappointed by those who surround us and scared that their vote is as good as mine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Any thoughts on the inane idiocy about the new Miss America? Apparently she's totally unamerican. Who knew a New Yorker was anything other than American? Why is this country so damn racist?



Are we racist or just stupid? It sounds like half the people complaining are under the impression she's actually FROM India. Hell, even if she is and attained citizenship then good for her.

She's also super hot. Indian women = weakness of mine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:I was just thinking the other day that our generation is certainly racial, but not racist. And then this happens. Like many here, I am continually disappointed by those who surround us and scared that their vote is as good as mine.



Exactly. Scarier is that they don't seem to know India is mostly Hindu, not Muslim. IIRC my history, Pakistan was split from India for the Muslims at the time of independence from Great Britain.

So nothing to do with 9/11 or any terrorist groups.



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
klezman wrote:Any thoughts on the inane idiocy about the new Miss America? Apparently she's totally unamerican. Who knew a New Yorker was anything other than American? Why is this country so damn racist?



I had to google this one, I don't follow this stuff ordinarily. My opinion - people are so ill-behaved on twitter. These are just random people, right? Being stupid. As for why we are so damn racist, I dunno. We have so much diversity, bound to be an asshat or two in the bunch. Plus, see any political discussion as evidence that we enjoy dividing up into "teams" and fighting it out.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:So, there's been another shooting. Cue the gun control dicketry from both sides.



Yes, but most of it is from the gun control side, and they are still getting it wrong ... AR-15: ANTI-GUN NARRATIVE BLOWS UP IN FACE OF CNN, DAILY NEWS


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, but most of it is from the gun control side, and they are still getting it wrong ... AR-15: ANTI-GUN NARRATIVE BLOWS UP IN FACE OF CNN, DAILY NEWS



"I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad." Last thing I saw on tv last night before bed.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, but most of it is from the gun control side, and they are still getting it wrong ... AR-15: ANTI-GUN NARRATIVE BLOWS UP IN FACE OF CNN, DAILY NEWS



Failure on so many levels.

I trust CNN as much as I trust FOX. No media can be unbiased, but it's something you attempt, it's something that should be strived for.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen


quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:Failure on so many levels.

I trust CNN as much as I trust FOX. No media can be unbiased, but it's something you attempt, it's something that should be strived for.


You're not going to get it from breitbart.com, that's for sure. Just sayin'...

rjquillin


quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:You're not going to get it from breitbart.com, that's for sure. Just sayin'...

Get what from Breitbart?
Ever look at theblaze.com?

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Get what from Breitbart?
Ever look at theblaze.com?


Unbiased journalism. Hard to find it anywhere these days. For many years CNN did try to hold out as the lone fact-based news outlet on 24/7 cable news but their ratings suffered because of it. They caved around 5 years ago IIRC.

Now they have hosts like Piers Morgan who are clearly biased. As a society, we seem to prefer the news that best fits our existing beliefs, thus the proliferation of opinion-based news. I have consciously avoided cable news programming for the last couple years and have tried to keep my internet news reading as generic as possible, mostly viewing news items on, or linked through, yahoo.

If anyone knows of an even more neutral site/portal to read up on current events, I'm all ears.

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Cable news is inherently biased because no one has figured out how to make money reporting the news. If there is a major event that gets people glued to the screen, then it can work. But those events are infrequent and unpredictable. Every day for 24 hours is impossible - there isn't enough news that will draw audiences. So, they draw audiences with opinion, and it is mighty tough to have an unbiased opinion that gets anyone's attention.

As for Miss America, the internet allows fools to get irate about everything and get an audience for their irateness, and they form an echo chamber to drive themselves to deeper and deeper depths. Unfortunately, there are enough cretins out there that it is not an unreasonable fear that one of them will decide to take some sort of action. A number of people have been driven out of the public space by detailed and credible death threats. That frightens me.

It has been a long day, and I'm very tired. I hope I'm still making sense (if I truly ever did).

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

klezman


quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:Exactly. Scarier is that they don't seem to know India is mostly Hindu, not Muslim. IIRC my history, Pakistan was split from India for the Muslims at the time of independence from Great Britain.

So nothing to do with 9/11 or any terrorist groups.



So, I'm not saying you feel this way, but your statement could be interpreted something along the lines of: people are stupid for thinking Indians are Muslim, and therefore are making asses of themselves wrt the Miss America thing. If she were actually Muslim then it'd be ok to be in some sort of uproar.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman

Interesting article about addiction, the drug wars, etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/science/the-rational-choices-of-crack-addicts.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130917&pagewanted=all

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chipgreen wrote:Unbiased journalism. Hard to find it anywhere these days. For many years CNN did try to hold out as the lone fact-based news outlet on 24/7 cable news but their ratings suffered because of it. They caved around 5 years ago IIRC.

Now they have hosts like Piers Morgan who are clearly biased. As a society, we seem to prefer the news that best fits our existing beliefs, thus the proliferation of opinion-based news. I have consciously avoided cable news programming for the last couple years and have tried to keep my internet news reading as generic as possible, mostly viewing news items on, or linked through, yahoo.

If anyone knows of an even more neutral site/portal to read up on current events, I'm all ears.



I suspect part of it is a failure on the part of journalism schools. When I was on my school's (ok, junior hi/middle) journalism class, we were taught the 5 W's (Who, What, Where, When, & Why). But more important was that we had to be unbiased in our reporting. As on Dragnet, "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Sadly, the facts seem to get in the way of biased reporting on both sides, and both lamestream and cable outlets.

The frightening thing is the attempts to limit "who" is a journalist. Seems like the current administration wants to cut out "bloggers" as press, and only include "accredited" media.

Seems like the point of the 1st Amendment was that anyone could publish, not just those knighted by the government.


Basically, you have to review everything, and eliminate the obvious trolls (Morgan, Scarborough, etc.).


Or just accept that all news is basically entertainment.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:So, I'm not saying you feel this way, but your statement could be interpreted something along the lines of: people are stupid for thinking Indians are Muslim, and therefore are making asses of themselves wrt the Miss America thing. If she were actually Muslim then it'd be ok to be in some sort of uproar.



Well Duh!


Sorry, didn't mean to imply that at all, but I think you are trying very hard to read into it so as to not agree with me. Again.


Edit: Sorry. Thought you were PSquishy.

But I am still trying to figure out how anyone would get that last part. It's like I say X + Y = Z and you implied I said X + B = C.


Unless you are saying that ALL Muslims were involved with 9/11 and/or are terrorists?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.