mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:I'd guess foreign, but that's not based on anything. I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing.

Random internet comments already blaming the gov't, this will be an excuse to take our guns, etc.

I can't stomach the conspiracy peddlers, however I'm sure the gov't will use whatever happened to take away our freedoms/liberties. I doubt it will be the guns though...

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
chemvictim wrote:Ouch! What happened? My effective federal tax rate was 17.24 for 2012, just with the standard deduction. No kids, no mortgage, nothing major to deduct. It actually went down a little from the previous year.

Kinda the same for me. Too much 1099-misc work, rentals, withholding on W-2 and 1099-R were way too small to offset. Not all was directly to the Fed and FTB but too a retirement account to reduce the tax bite and retain a bit for myself as well.

We should have to pay our full tax liability, no withholding, on the Monday before we vote.

It was just the magnitude that was shocking. I only paid $38k for my first house, and today I eclipsed that amount, in one day. I still remember the look on the escrow officers' face when I went in with a stack of 20's and 100's for the down payment. Had a ponytail back then as well. Got the "eye" did I.

CT

rjquillin

mother wrote:I can't stomach the conspiracy peddlers, however I'm sure the gov't will use whatever happened to take away our freedoms/liberties. I doubt it will be the guns though...

I wish I could disagree.
Boston is tragic.
Thoughts and prayers to all...

CT

mother

BTW After more speculation about it being tax day and Patriots day (in Mass) perhaps it could be some home grown nutjob.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
mother wrote:BTW After more speculation about it being tax day and Patriots day (in Mass) perhaps it could be some home grown nutjob.

This was my first guess. I'm leaning towards "foreign" now, though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:This was my first guess. I'm leaning towards "foreign" now, though.

I'm leaning towards foreign sympathizer(s), based on the lack of high-grade explosives. An Al-Qaeda affiliated group would have likely used more sophisticated bombs. Anti-govt/tax whacko(s) as a dark horse candidate for responsibility.

kylemittskus

chipgreen wrote:I'm leaning towards foreign sympathizer(s), based on the lack of high-grade explosives. An Al-Qaeda affiliated group would have likely used more sophisticated bombs. Anti-govt/tax whacko(s) as a dark horse candidate for responsibility.

That's what I meant by "foreign." I certainly don't think this was an organized attack by a group like AQ due to the lack of complexity of the entire thing, plus the bombs as you suggest.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
rjquillin wrote:All I know so far is I'm writing checks for nearly 40k on an AGI under 100k...
Over double the payout compared to what I've ever had to do before.

Don't try to tell me taxes haven't gone up.

This year was painful, and next is shaping up to be worse! I'm going to get hit on both the federal, and, most likely, state levels! FML

I paid my taxes today. I always pay in, some, so it reminds me that I have to pay taxes. I think if everyone who had to pay taxes had to pay in a little at the end of the year, they'd be reminded that they actually have to pay taxes, and would probably put a little more thought into what they go towards... Instead, people have the money automatically taken out of their checks, and then, they excitedly do their taxes so they get a refund! Yeah! "I don't notice all the money I'm paying all year, and then I get some back!" What a racket.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:This year was painful, and next is shaping up to be worse! I'm going to get hit on both the federal, and, most likely, state levels! FML

I paid my taxes today. I always pay in, some, so it reminds me that I have to pay taxes. I think if everyone who had to pay taxes had to pay in a little at the end of the year, they'd be reminded that they actually have to pay taxes, and would probably put a little more thought into what they go towards... Instead, people have the money automatically taken out of their checks, and then, they excitedly do their taxes so they get a refund! Yeah! "I don't notice all the money I'm paying all year, and then I get some back!" What a racket.

Withholding is the worst thing to happen (best thing for the govt). If people had to pay their taxes at the end of the year, things would be so much better. Instead, they think the govt is giving them money at the end of the tax year and they're greatful/excited. It makes taxes seem like not such a bad thing because at the end, most people get money they didnt (know they) have.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Withholding is the worst thing to happen (best thing for the govt). If people had to pay their taxes at the end of the year, things would be so much better. Instead, they think the govt is giving them money at the end of the tax year and they're greatful/excited. It makes taxes seem like not such a bad thing because at the end, most people get money they didnt (know they) have.

I actually got a refund this year. I was very relieved, because I expected to have to pay in as usual. When spouses have very different incomes, the withholding gets screwed up. But - I did take a good long look at the amount I paid in and I looked at my tax receipt. $800 for tax credits. I pay taxes for tax credits. That's kinda messed up.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:Withholding is the worst thing to happen (best thing for the govt). If people had to pay their taxes at the end of the year, things would be so much better. Instead, they think the govt is giving them money at the end of the tax year and they're greatful/excited. It makes taxes seem like not such a bad thing because at the end, most people get money they didnt (know they) have.

Exactly!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:Exactly!

But I get money!!!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon

Spurred by another thread:

Veganism – why?
I can understand vegetarianism, Some people don't want to kill an animal to feed themselves. Heck, I am dating a vegetarian and have been for five years (Though I have been a very poor influence, she hasn't eaten more meat in her five years with me than in the rest of her life combined)

Foregoing eggs and milk products is another thing entirely. If one screens the sources properly, there are no animals harmed or even in the least molested in the process of getting these nutritive foods. (I don't screen my sources this thoroughly personally, but one can)

Domesticated species have us to thank for their ability to thrive. We have a symbiotic relationship with them. So how is Vegan better than a very strict vegitarian regimen?

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
cmaldoon wrote:Veganism – why?

To be more fashionably pure than mere vegetarians?

Not saying that this is the case for all or even most vegans, but I do know of some for whom this is the true unacknowledged reason.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

kylemittskus

A vegan would say that even though you're not killing the animals, they are at least not being treated in any sort of natural environment and at worst, they are being treated poorly, only to become meat eventually anyway. (I was a vegetarian for 9 years.)

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:A vegan would say that even though you're not killing the animals, they are at least not being treated in any sort of natural environment and at worst, they are being treated poorly, only to become meat eventually anyway. (I was a vegetarian for 9 years.)

Fair enough on the poorly treated. I will acknowledge that most of our chickens and cows are. But I did try to head off that part by adding the part on carefully selecting your sources.

As for "natural environment". I would contend that today's dairy cows and laying chickens are very much in their natural environment on a farm and that putting them into the wild would be crueler than keeping them in. At least in they are fed quite well and kept safe from predators. What more does any species want?

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Fair enough on the poorly treated. I will acknowledge that most of our chickens and cows are. But I did try to head off that part by adding the part on carefully selecting your sources.

As for "natural environment". I would contend that today's dairy cows and laying chickens are very much in their natural environment on a farm and that putting them into the wild would be crueler than keeping them in. At least in they are fed quite well and kept safe from predators. What more does any species want?

Free-range chickens, and ducks, geese, turkey, guinea hens and fowl in general for that matter, are little more than coyote bait around here. I've tended to let them out by day, even then with some loss, but should I forget to close the coop before dark it's little more than a slaughter house, as they then really have nowhere to to. The pea-fowl do seem to fare a bit better.

CT

mother

cmaldoon wrote:
Veganism – why?

I've never come across an internally consistent argument for veganism, and I doubt one exists.

I'll change my mind when I meet a vegan that either won't eat organic produce, or will wear leather...

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:Very sad news in Boston. Guesses as to whether it's domestic (constitutional radicals pissed about gun control maybe?) or foreign terrorism?

Well, they've been caught/killed. Were they domestic or foreign?

cmaldoon

chemvictim wrote:Well, they've been caught/killed. Were they domestic or foreign?

Yes.

I believe that I heard that one of them got his citizenship as recently as six months ago.

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:Yes.

I believe that I heard that one of them got his citizenship as recently as six months ago.

News reports claim on 9/11 of last year.

CT

mother

mother wrote:I can't stomach the conspiracy peddlers, however I'm sure the gov't will use whatever happened to take away our freedoms/liberties. I doubt it will be the guns though...

Ding Ding Ding, it's the 4th Amendment this time!

kylemittskus

mother wrote:Ding Ding Ding, it's the 4th Amendment this time!

I hate that d-bag.

coynedj

mother wrote:Ding Ding Ding, it's the 4th Amendment this time!

If he wants to change the 4th Amendment, he should propose a new amendment. Short of that, which I see rightfully going nowhere, he has no argument to make. Unfortunately, his inanities get reported as news and taken seriously for a few moments, but tomorrow his statement will be forgotten.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

mother

coynedj wrote: Unfortunately, his inanities get reported as news and taken seriously for a few moments, but tomorrow his statement will be forgotten.

Unfortunately you're wrong about that. Bloomy and his friends can afford to purchase whatever attention they need.

chipgreen

mother wrote:Unfortunately you're wrong about that. Bloomy and his friends can afford to purchase whatever attention they need.

Doesn't he have an anti-soda crusade to attend to? That will be his embarrassing legacy.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I think it's pretty fantastic that a gay basketball player came out yesterday and it was of such unconcern that nobody posted about it here. Good job us.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:I think it's pretty fantastic that a gay basketball player came out yesterday and it was of such unconcern that nobody posted about it here. Good job us.

One of our state lawmakers came out as black AND gay . Top that.

kylemittskus

chemvictim wrote:One of our state lawmakers came out as black AND gay . Top that.

Is he Muslim and overweight?

In seriousness, I quite like his comment about gay marriage hurting marriage in general.

chipgreen

Random observation; the Taxed Enough Already Party seems to have no interest in fighting Internet Sales tax legislation. Apparently they have not, in fact, been Taxed Enough Already.

EDIT: additional sarc deleted

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Random observation; the Taxed Enough Already Party seems to have no interest in fighting Internet Sales tax legislation. Apparently they have not, in fact, been Taxed Enough Already.

EDIT: additional sarc deleted

Yea, but some of us already read it.
Rather makes me wonder to..

CT

klezman

quality posts: 114 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Yea, but some of us already read it.
Rather makes me wonder to..

Yes, and the original level of sarc seemed, to me, completely appropriate.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

klezman wrote:Yes, and the original level of sarc seemed, to me, completely appropriate.

OK then, sarc back on with a couple slight modifications....

If they have no interest in fighting internet sales tax legislation, maybe the Taxed Enough Already Party should change their name to the Why Don't They Ban Pressure Cookers Party, or the We Really Hate the Boston Bombers but Mostly Because They Once Collected Welfare Party, or the We're Too Busy Counting Obama's Rounds of Golf to Care About Additional Taxes Party.

coynedj

chipgreen wrote:OK then, sarc back on with a couple slight modifications....

If they have no interest in fighting internet sales tax legislation, maybe the Taxed Enough Already Party should change their name to the Why Don't They Ban Pressure Cookers Party, or the We Really Hate the Boston Bombers but Mostly Because They Once Collected Welfare Party, or the We're Too Busy Counting Obama's Rounds of Golf to Care About Additional Taxes Party.

Let's not forget The Government's Buying Up All The Ammunition So We The People Won't Be Able To Fight Back Against Tyranny Party.

coynedj

Wow - two posts in a row from me.

I find it very interesting that there is a lot of talk these days (or at least a lot of blog posts) about Ted Cruz running for President. This is the Ted Cruz who freely admits and I'm sure can provide a birth certificate showing that he was born in Canada.

I await the complaints about the constitutionality of foreign-born candidates. From Sarah Palin. And Newt Gingrich.

chemvictim

coynedj wrote:Wow - two posts in a row from me.

I find it very interesting that there is a lot of talk these days (or at least a lot of blog posts) about Ted Cruz running for President. This is the Ted Cruz who freely admits and I'm sure can provide a birth certificate showing that he was born in Canada.

I await the complaints about the constitutionality of foreign-born candidates. From Sarah Palin. And Newt Gingrich.

His mom was American so that makes him a citizen by birth!

I hadn't heard about this, but I love it. Now let's all sit here and pretend for a moment that race is not at all a factor for birthers.

chipgreen

coynedj wrote:Wow - two posts in a row from me.

Is Ted Nugent going to be his running mate?

I got a kick out of all the country musicians who played at Mitt Romney rallies, especially when he dragged them here to Cleveland, OH - the Rock-n-Roll Capitol of the World (if we say so ourselves and we do).

I guess Mitt is just a good old boy at heart, diggin' on those country jams. A real Mormon cowboy. Maybe what he needed was a little Cat Scratch Fever. A Free For All. The Great White Buffalo. Some Motor City Madness, even.

Look out America, here come The Teds.

chemvictim

chipgreen wrote:Look out America, here come The Teds.

Oh holy Yellow Brick Road.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
chipgreen wrote:Is Ted Nugent going to be his running mate?

I got a kick out of all the country musicians who played at Mitt Romney rallies, especially when he dragged them here to Cleveland, OH - the Rock-n-Roll Capitol of the World (if we say so ourselves and we do).

I guess Mitt is just a good old boy at heart, diggin' on those country jams. A real Mormon cowboy. Maybe what he needed was a little Cat Scratch Fever. A Free For All. The Great White Buffalo. Some Motor City Madness, even.

Look out America, here come The Teds.

Sounds like a stranglehold if you ask me!

----------

chemvictim

Since nothing much is going on...prayer in schools.

This one popped up on my facebook feed, it's from near my hometown. The usual comments, blaming satanists and atheists (most do not realize those aren't the same thing). One comment that popped up a lot is if you don't like prayer, just stay home. What do you think about that? This is for a sixth grade graduation, and they cancelled it because someone complained about the praying.