mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:
"I want to share a word on secret elite societies that have laid the foundation of our destruction. I speak of the Bilderbergs, Bohemian Grove, *Council on Foreign Relation*, Trilateral Commission and all the Bloodlines of the illuminati.

OOOH I HAVE BEEN INVITED TO JOIN THE NEW WORLD ORDER AFTER ALL!!!! Silly me thinking I was left out of the party and the invitation was just a ploy to get me to subscribe to Foreign Affairs magazine!

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
chemvictim wrote:I'm comfortable with that. Does that surprise you? However, there should be something in place for the rare cases of mother's life in danger, or those (again, rare, but still) horrible genetic problems that get detected later in pregnancy.

Aborting due to a genetic problem in the fetus is an enormously problematic can of moral worms to open. :| Though I suppose it is becoming more and more open every day.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
jawlz wrote:Aborting due to a genetic problem in the fetus is an enormously problematic can of moral worms to open. :| Though I suppose it is becoming more and more open every day.

Indeed, morally problematic, but not a decision the state should impose, unless it's willing to bear all of the costs (which I don't think it should be).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
rpm wrote:Indeed, morally problematic, but not a decision the state should impose, unless it's willing to bear all of the costs (which I don't think it should be).

I, too, am comfortable with this. First trimester abortions outside of a positive amniocentesis test, medical danger to the mom, or terrible act/incest cases.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
chemvictim wrote:We have constant ads for Dean Heller vs Shelley Berkley, and I get fliers in the mail almost every day. Pretty annoying. I don't really like either of them. What to do?

Berkley is terrible. She used to work for Sheldon, and she [Goodnight, everybody!]ed him over pretty badly on the way out the door. I'm not a fan.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

PetiteSirah

jawlz wrote:Aborting due to a genetic problem in the fetus is an enormously problematic can of moral worms to open. :| Though I suppose it is becoming more and more open every day.

Is disomy 23 a genetic problem? It does lead to impaired cognitive spatial and mathematical skills, drastically increased risks of uterine, ovarian, and breast cancers, weaker bones, stunted growth, muscular weakness, and a weaker immune system.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
PetiteSirah wrote:Berkley is terrible. She used to work for Sheldon, and she [Goodnight, everybody!]ed him over pretty badly on the way out the door. I'm not a fan.

I think she has a better record than Heller from a conservation perspective, which I think is important for NV. However, she's been accused of some serious corruption stuff. And she looks totally insane in all her pictures.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
PetiteSirah wrote:Is disomy 23 a genetic problem? It does lead to impaired cognitive spatial and mathematical skills, drastically increased risks of uterine, ovarian, and breast cancers, weaker bones, stunted growth, muscular weakness, and a weaker immune system.

Oy.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Oy.

Vey

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mother

PetiteSirah wrote:Is disomy 23 a genetic problem? It does lead to impaired cognitive spatial and mathematical skills, drastically increased risks of uterine, ovarian, and breast cancers, weaker bones, stunted growth, muscular weakness, and a weaker immune system.

I find it fascinating that someone married you

PetiteSirah

mother wrote:I find it fascinating that someone married you

We all do.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I think the late term abortion issue is a total non-issue, red herring. It's emotionally charged and challenging but comprises a small percentage of abortions (appx 90% of abortions are first term according to the internet). Later term abortions seem to fall into a few categories, including young women ill equipped to assess the situation earlier (second term, I believe these women deserve compassion) and true medical problems (third term). I don't understand why the issue is part of the conversation.

I hate single issue voters.

signed.

PetiteSirah

canonizer wrote:I think the late term abortion issue is a total non-issue, red herring. It's emotionally charged and challenging but comprises a small percentage of abortions (appx 90% of abortions are first term according to the internet). Later term abortions seem to fall into a few categories, including young women ill equipped to assess the situation earlier (second term, I believe these women deserve compassion) and true medical problems (third term). I don't understand why the issue is part of the conversation.

+1.

I think that this is as pretty much to a consensus as we've had on here on any issue.

Roe is *great* policy, and Potty Emergency! Constitutional Law.

kylemittskus

canonizer wrote:I think the late term abortion issue is a total non-issue, red herring. It's emotionally charged and challenging but comprises a small percentage of abortions (appx 90% of abortions are first term according to the internet). Later term abortions seem to fall into a few categories, including young women ill equipped to assess the situation earlier (second term, I believe these women deserve compassion) and true medical problems (third term). I don't understand why the issue is part of the conversation.

I hate single issue voters when that single issue is one that isn't going to change.

chemvictim

PetiteSirah wrote:+1.

I think that this is as pretty much to a consensus as we've had on here on any issue.

Roe is *great* policy, and Potty Emergency! Constitutional Law.

I'm with you. Republicans, can you please talk with your "leaders," and ask them to stop threatening women's rights? I'd be so very happy for this to just go away. The Dems get a lot of mileage out of it, too.

chemvictim

kylemittskus wrote:I hate single issue voters when that single issue is one that isn't going to change.

Oh, you mean like the economy?

Cesare

quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare
chemvictim wrote:Oh, you mean like the economy?

Ha. Here's an article for you.
Robocall mania: Colorado and Nevada residents share swing-state stories

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chemvictim

Cesare wrote:Ha. Here's an article for you.
Robocall mania: Colorado and Nevada residents share swing-state stories

No one has called me! Now I feel unwanted. I've missed out on most of the campaign mania around here.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
chemvictim wrote:No one has called me! Now I feel unwanted. I've missed out on most of the campaign mania around here.

we get at least 2 a day... of course, the phone number is attached to the fax, and we never answer it, but caller id shows most of the time.

bhodilee

mother wrote:I find it fascinating that someone married you

I dunno, someone married me, so there's hope for everyone.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

I don't care what side of the fence you are on, Obama's bit about "Romnesia" was damn funny. I loved the punchline that if you have Romnesia don't worry because Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions.

My dogs like me, that is important.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
edlada wrote:I don't care what side of the fence you are on, Obama's bit about "Romnesia" was damn funny. I loved the punchline that if you have Romnesia don't worry because Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions.

+1

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

edlada wrote:I don't care what side of the fence you are on, Obama's bit about "Romnesia" was damn funny. I loved the punchline that if you have Romnesia don't worry because Obamacare covers pre-existing conditions.

Almost as funny as Romney's bit that Obama's remarks at the Al Smith Dinner were "brought to you by the letter "O" and the number $16 Trillion."

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

rpm wrote:Almost as funny as Romney's bit that Obama's remarks at the Al Smith Dinner were "brought to you by the letter "O" and the number $16 Trillion."

Eh. It was funnier.

rpm

kylemittskus wrote:Eh. It was funnier.

chacun à son goût

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylemittskus

rpm wrote:chacun à son goût

Indeed!

bhodilee

rpm wrote:Almost as funny as Romney's bit that Obama's remarks at the Al Smith Dinner were "brought to you by the letter "O" and the number $16 Trillion."

They're both funny. I like this one more due to the big bird tie in though.

mother

Both of them were funny at the Al Smith dinner, but I think Obama came off much more gracious- Romney spent a little too much time attacking others, and that is more of a roast-thine-self type of occasion.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Both of them were funny at the Al Smith dinner, but I think Obama came off much more gracious- Romney spent a little too much time attacking others, and that is more of a roast-thine-self type of occasion.

Except Obama seemed to have just as many attacks on others. Plus he didn't get as many laughs with his jokes as Romney did with his.

Also, O got in the "We got bin Laden" theme.

Romney got in self-jokes on clothing, drinking (both cardinal turning his water into wine & being the designated driver), and getting a self-dig in about being a 1 term governor who's dad was a governor when he kidded Gov. Cuomo.

They were both equally gracious.

Edit: Except Romney mentioned at the end about respecting each other and Obama didn't say one word about that. He even said Obama has had some "very fine & gracious moments".

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Except Obama seemed to have just as many attacks on others. Plus he didn't get as many laughs with his jokes as Romney did with his.

Also, O got in the "We got bin Laden" theme.

Romney got in self-jokes on clothing, drinking (both cardinal turning his water into wine & being the designated driver), and getting a self-dig in about being a 1 term governor who's dad was a governor when he kidded Gov. Cuomo.

They were both equally gracious.

Perhaps you need to rewatch it? I have no other response except that 1+1 does not equal 3.

Edit: Even for large values of 1 ;)

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Perhaps you need to rewatch it? I have no other response except that 1+1 does not equal 3.

Edit: Even for large values of 1 ;)

I did re-watch both BEFORE I posted. Perhaps you need to as well, plus go back over your flash cards, as I well know that 1+1 doesn't equal 3. Although that does explain liberal math skills.

And Romney was way more gracious than Obama at the end remarks.

Edit: Go back and watch both. You actually have Obama trying to get people to laugh by giving a laugh himself on several jokes, but hardly anyone was laughing at them.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:I did re-watch both BEFORE I posted. Perhaps you need to as well, plus go back over your flash cards, as I well know that 1+1 doesn't equal 3. Although that does explain liberal math skills.

And Romney was way more gracious than Obama at the end remarks.

Edit: Go back and watch both. You actually have Obama trying to get people to laugh by giving a laugh himself on several jokes, but hardly anyone was laughing at them.

Mark, you may be a nice person but you're not honest with yourself about this stuff. And I'm quickly remembering why I stay out of this thread- can't stand dishonest people.

It's not like Obama had many supporters in that crowd anyhow.

kylemittskus

mother wrote:Mark, you may be a nice person but you're not honest with yourself about this stuff. And I'm quickly remembering why I stay out of this thread- can't stand dishonest people.

Sparky's not lying; he's just seeing things in a different light that you. He may be delusional in this case, but he's not being dishonest.

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Mark, you may be a nice person but you're not honest with yourself about this stuff. And I'm quickly remembering why I stay out of this thread- can't stand dishonest people.

And I try to stay out because of close-minded people who aren't open to discussion. But I keep coming back.

I'm giving up on this, because #1, I just found out we lost conroo (see the Pub), and #2, I don't care anymore. And thanks to you and Kyle for keeping it non-insulting. Way to go both of you.

chemvictim

I thought both candidates were funny, although I didn't watch the whole thing. I only saw snippets. Both made fun of themselves and I enjoyed it.

I saw this picture this morning. I was NOT a fan of George W. Bush but the crop of goofballs we got this time makes me miss him.

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Sparky's not lying; he's just seeing things in a different light that you. He may be delusional in this case, but he's not being dishonest.

I think we are all "delusional" in that we see things differently due to our experiences and beliefs.

We all have different triggers, and respond in different ways.

What to one is a deadly insult, is just a passing comment to another.

I'd hoped we could meet a common ground (other than wine appreciation), but it's obvious that we can't and probably never will.

mother

kylemittskus wrote:Sparky's not lying; he's just seeing things in a different light that you. He may be delusional in this case, but he's not being dishonest.

Not true. Some things are subjective and some things are not.

You could argue that Romney joked at others expense more, but that it didn't make him less gracious- the determination of graciousness is subjective. You cannot legitimately argue the fact that more of his jokes were at others expense than Obama's jokes were at others expense. I can think of no legitimate way to make that question subjective.

Mark is not remotely dumb, so I don't for a minute think he doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective.

chemvictim

Liberals are intolerant meanies

I read this to learn about how liberals are censoring conservative speech and being intolerant. I was disappointed. All I learned was that a few people don't want to play with Bill Donahue, known jackass and public embarrassment.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
chemvictim wrote:Liberals are intolerant meanies

I read this to learn about how liberals are censoring conservative speech and being intolerant. I was disappointed. All I learned was that a few people don't want to play with Bill Donahue, known jackass and public embarrassment.

Now there you go again, being intolerant!

My dogs like me, that is important.

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:And thanks to you and Kyle for keeping it non-insulting. Way to go both of you.

Easy killer. I was joking about the delusional thing. I just forgot the . I was defending you. Personally, I think the argument you and Mother were having was absurd, but I didn't, nor do I, think you were lying during any of it.

Edited for clarity.*