jgaffner

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jgaffner
CowboyDann wrote:A little birdy had great things to say about Saxon Brown. If I didn't spend so much during the woot-off I'd pick this up.

"little birdy" nice. Thanks for your interest.
Cheers
Jeff

jgaffner

jmdavidson wrote:$104 for the three on the Saxon Brown website, so a significant savings. Good CT scores. The Zin offered on 01/03/2012 was delicious. If you've already tried the Zin, you know what I'm talking about. So, I'm thinkin'...maybe 2, maybe 3. Decisions, decisions.

Wow - thanks for your support.
Jeff

trenthummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trenthummel

Newbie to woot here. Does one really need to ship to a business address? That's inconvenient for some, but verbotten for those who work at hospitals...

Cant I just ship it to my house?

Thanks all!

jgaffner

sdbcmr wrote:In for one; I'd have gone two, but I'm trying to behave. No seriously - I'm being as "have" as I possibly can.

Thanks and good luck with the "behave" thing.
Jeff

Shadowhunter312

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Shadowhunter312
trenthummel wrote:Newbie to woot here. Does one really need to ship to a business address? That's inconvenient for some, but verbotten for those who work at hospitals...

Cant I just ship it to my house?

Thanks all!

If you have someone old enough at home during the day to sign for your wine, then it doesn't matter. If not the best way to do it is with Fedex's Hold at Location, which is how I pick up all my wine. They will hold the package for about five days at their nearest location to you. Just wait for the package to ship and you'll get the option for it on your Fedex tracking page.

jgaffner

goaljnky wrote:In for two. Did not get anything during the woot-off and I find myself all out of Syrah (the horror). Would have gone for three if I just had more room in the wine cooler. And the CT reviews do look good.

Good Morning goaljnky,
Thanks for your comments about Syrah, tugging at my heart. I wish more people would be turned on to Syrah.
Cheers
Jeff

trenthummel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trenthummel
Shadowhunter312 wrote:If you have someone old enough at home during the day to sign for your wine, then it doesn't matter. If not the best way to do it is with Fedex's Hold at Location, which is how I pick up all my wine. They will hold the package for about five days at their nearest location to you. Just wait for the package to ship and you'll get the option for it on your Fedex tracking page.

Thanks for the tips!
t

jgaffner

Sorry for not posting sooner everyone. I was up late hanging out with my 23 year old musician. His band (Atlas) is finishing up another song to be posted next week. He let dad hang out with him. So I’m a little slow this am.
Jeff

jgaffner

strongry wrote:Lots of talking about cellaring potential. Anyone have any thoughts on its potential for drinking in near future?

stongry and maurakid,
Bottle age is a big thing for me and the wines I make. I believe many wineries release wine to early. Saxon Brown is small enough I can hold on to wines until ready. If Saxon Brown were larger they would put me away for holding on to wines. I just think a wine should be ready to drink upon release and get better from there. And yes it may be a up on a soapbox issue for me.
Cheers
jeff

bella12977

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bella12977

Sigh, I really am out of funds, but this looks too tasty to resist....

Hubby states "NO MORE WOOT PURCHASES. Unless of course it is good wine from wine.woot." As a well meaning wife, I am happy to oblige.

In for 2.....

jgaffner

paryb wrote:Saxon Brown was one of my first woots too, it was a 2001 Zinfandel, and one of thebest bottles of wine I've ever had.

Thank you for you comments. The 2001 was a great bottle of wine and went well with a day off.

jgaffner

Corrado wrote:I bought an older iteration (2004) of their Camp Block Syrah back in the day and probably should have cellared it all until now (or later). The last bottle I opened was not a, "Wow!" wine, but was pleasant enough with our meal. The one before that (opened in 2010) was very flat all around, almost like it had gone dumb. My briefer notes on the other two (opened in 2007 & 2008) were similar. Pricing on this trio is a little better than it was on the 2004s (was $50 per duo in 2007).

I don't know how these vintages are aging, but if I weren't on the eternal TIWBM and building a cellar, I'd buy these & hide them in a corner for until they're closer to the middle of their drinking window.

Hi Corrado,
Thanks for your comments. How are you?
Jeff

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
boatman72 wrote:Your birthday is the month you signed up, so you should have gotten an email in December.

I've been woot!ing since 2007 and have received only one birthday coupon. I do get the newsletters, so I'm not sure how the birthday coupons are generated.

jgaffner

otolith wrote:Jeff--Last offer, you mentioned that you had a few offers for the upcoming weeks. Is there another offer after this? This one looks great!

The first and only time I was a labrat was for your zin. You make a great zin (I'm not much of a zin guy, for the most part), I could only imagine that your syrah is just as good!

Good Morning otolith,
Thanks you your support and interest. I have one more offer on it's way. No sure when but I'll ask. Make sure you watch for it. It could be the most interesting wine on woot this year.
Jeff

vannknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vannknight
jgaffner wrote:Good Morning otolith,
Thanks you your support and interest. I have one more offer on it's way. No sure when but I'll ask. Make sure you watch for it. It could be the most interesting wine on woot this year.
Jeff

Jeff - thanks for chiming in here. Its great to have your thoughts. But I gotta tell you your comment above is a big tease... can't wait to see what it is. I don't suppose you've got some of that 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon sitting around? Got some of your 2008 Zinfandel One Oak last time it was offered here... thinking about this offering...

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Just bought my second wine woot (the first being he Saxon zin a few weeks ago.) Plan to start my new cellar with 5 Saxon's well regarded by the woot community. Hopefully I can have some amazing wine 5-10 years from now!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Picked up a bottle of this last night at a local store, said 91 Points and was $5.99 on sale, huh? for $5.99 had to try it.
Holy Moley what a nice bottle of wine, might just order a case, check it out

(also picked their Pinot, same price and not bad at all)

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1256454

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

paryb wrote:Saxon Brown was one of my first woots too, it was a 2001 Zinfandel, and one of thebest bottles of wine I've ever had.

the 2001 zin was an unbelievable wine. i get different dimmensions with Gaffner's wines.

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
Winedavid39 wrote:the 2001 zin was an unbelievable wine. i get different dimmensions with Gaffner's wines.

It's more than 3 dimensional? Surprised the write-up didn't mention it! You're entering ... the Twilight Zin.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
fredrinaldi wrote:Picked up a bottle of this last night at a local store, said 91 Points and was $5.99 on sale, huh? for $5.99 had to try it.Holy Moley what a nice bottle of wine, might just order a case, check it out
(also picked their Pinot, same price and not bad at all)
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1256454

In the future, I recommend posting comments like this (that have nothing to do with the Saxon Brown offer) in the Deals on other wines and accessories thread, instead of the main thread.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

nmachen wrote:It's more than 3 dimensional? Surprised the write-up didn't mention it! You're entering ... the Twilight Zin.

i had that coming..

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
jhkey wrote:In the future, I recommend posting comments like this (that have nothing to do with the Saxon Brown offer) in the Deals on other wines and accessories thread, instead of the main thread.

cool didn't know about that link, will do

Bendial80

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

Just got mine I hope they're yummy! lol

smagee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smagee

I'm curious: the writeup states drinking windows of between 10-15 years, while the Wine Spectator quotes provided by another commenter indicate that these should be consumed within the next 2-3. While I realize some personal preference will come into play with these windows, that's a bit of a discrepancy. So, how long can I set these aside? I snagged two, so I just want to make sure I'm hitting the "optimal" timeframe, since I'm not in any rush to crack them.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Hi Jeff,
any chance that you have the pH and TA of these wines and the alcohol %?
thanks!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella
Shadowhunter312 wrote:If you have someone old enough at home during the day to sign for your wine, then it doesn't matter. If not the best way to do it is with Fedex's Hold at Location, which is how I pick up all my wine. They will hold the package for about five days at their nearest location to you. Just wait for the package to ship and you'll get the option for it on your Fedex tracking page.

That's how I do it. Makes it easier to hide wine from my wife, too..
They even call me from there when it's ready to pick up.

sonomawilliam

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sonomawilliam

couldnt give a hoot about Wine Spectator. Why are there no stats on Alcohol, TA, pH, here, nor any data sheets on website....

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I'm in! Couldn't pass this one up, although I am toying with my life since my wife told me that I could no longer buy any more wine.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

i'm new here. if i tattle does that mean it sends an email to your wife telling her what you've done?

cgunning

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cgunning

To buy, or not to buy. To buy or not to buy. I'm already pretty loaded on Syrah, but good Syrah is good Syrah. I think about 20% of my cellar is currently Syrah, CDP or GSM. Would these feel at home with my St Josephs and Crozes-Hermitages?

Bucket of Candycorn * Bucket of Candycorn * Aqua Globes * XtremeMac InCharge Duo * Samsung Bluetooth Headset * Cedar Grilling Planks & Wrap * Wilson Harmonized Putter * Ecomposter * TENS Back Pain Relief System * HP Digital Photo Frame * Disney Mix Stick * Energizer Tactical Flashlight * iRobot Roomba * Zyxel PCI WiFi Adapter * EarCheck Middle Ear Monitor * Logitech Cordless Desktop * Kensington Wireless Mouse * 2-Way Wristwatch Radios * iGo EveryWhere Universal Power Adapter * Advent Wireless Headphones

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff! Syrah Rose. Make More. Must. Need.

Seriously, the Flora Ranch Syrah Rose that was up here a couple years ago is probably one of the most memorable wines I've had. And I want more. And yet, there is none! Make more! Winemakers keep saying "Just drink it now, I'll make more." Make more rose!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

chenchr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chenchr

Haven't even tried Syrah before. What types of food would be best paired with this offer?

smagee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smagee
chenchr wrote:Haven't even tried Syrah before. What types of food would be best paired with this offer?

I can't speak to these bottles specifically (as this is my first purchase of them), but Syrah can vary typically from fairly fruity (albeit less so than a Zin--perhaps more of a Merlot-style fruit) to very smoky/spicy. It often brings the darker fruits from a Cab, stone fruits from a robust zin, and "dark" character that is rather unique.

The fruitier ones can lend themselves well to lighter fare--chicken, salmon, and such--while the smokier ones can pair excellently with barbecue or grilled foods. I've always found it quite versatile, but it definitely needs a solid flavor to back it up; it's not going to go well with a lightly-flavored fish (tilapia?), for example.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
eluofthenine wrote:i'm new here. if i tattle does that mean it sends an email to your wife telling her what you've done?

Thankfully, no.

I'm just hanging out, really.

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

Saxon Brown = instabuy

Cool

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

It's 5 below zero here though, please pay attention to the weather for shipping. I'd rather wait than have frozen wine.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
smagee wrote:I can't speak to these bottles specifically (as this is my first purchase of them), but Syrah can vary typically from fairly fruity (albeit less so than a Zin--perhaps more of a Merlot-style fruit) to very smoky/spicy. It often brings the darker fruits from a Cab, stone fruits from a robust zin, and "dark" character that is rather unique.

The fruitier ones can lend themselves well to lighter fare--chicken, salmon, and such--while the smokier ones can pair excellently with barbecue or grilled foods. I've always found it quite versatile, but it definitely needs a solid flavor to back it up; it's not going to go well with a lightly-flavored fish (tilapia?), for example.

I'd say Syrah might go particularlly well with a really good cassoulet.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
nmachen wrote:It's more than 3 dimensional? Surprised the write-up didn't mention it! You're entering ... the Twilight Zin.

LMAO
WD, how does their Zin hold up against other popular quality Zins here? I can find some fun and interesting Zins (like Wellington's), and some dark unusually deep ones (1869), but for sheer dimensions was the Zin up there at the very top?
and I presume you've tried the Syrah... along the same lines, I presume?

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
jgaffner wrote:stongry and maurakid,
Bottle age is a big thing for me and the wines I make. I believe many wineries release wine to early. Saxon Brown is small enough I can hold on to wines until ready. If Saxon Brown were larger they would put me away for holding on to wines. I just think a wine should be ready to drink upon release and get better from there. And yes it may be a up on a soapbox issue for me.
Cheers
jeff

Get up there brother!!

Last year, we had a woot gathering with a wine from France, that was bottled a decade ago, but was just now being release for purchase. Smaller producer, but able to hold onto their wines until they were 'ready'. Got to say, it was a great wine.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

SkinUndone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SkinUndone

I noticed the Camp Block Syrah description says it has an aroma of latex. Does that carry over to the palette? And is this a common aroma for Syrah to have?