andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

I'm in for the Vet's tour. Can't wait to see you guys again!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:The idea is we don't want to deal with giving out refunds and waiting for new money to come in: if you drop out, and there is a replacement, the replacement sends you a check. The tour is whole, you're whole, other people (woopdedoo) don't have to deal with the accounting.

That seems totally fair to me. I would never have wanted to ask woop, or anyone else, to do extra accounting. So you don't get a "refund," you get the deposit back from the replacement. More than fair. Thanks for clearing that up.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
rpm wrote:The idea is we don't want to deal with giving out refunds and waiting for new money to come in: if you drop out, and there is a replacement, the replacement sends you a check. The tour is whole, you're whole, other people (woopdedoo) don't have to deal with the accounting.

Sounds fair to me. I really want to go and as of right now can, but depending on my job situation I might not be able to take the time off. And I really won't know until I end up with a job in the first place.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson

Will we know soon the offical dates for each tour? The sooner we try to get good airfare the better. Thanks, RPM.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
jmdavidson wrote:Will we know soon the offical dates for each tour? The sooner we try to get good airfare the better. Thanks, RPM.

We're trying to sort out some availabilities of people we want to see.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
andyduncan wrote:I'm in for the Vet's tour. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Good news. Hope we can all make it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

I'm about 5 pages away from reading the entire last thread. Sounds like a great trip, and I'm glad that July has already been slotted as my "California month." There were a few links I'll have to go back and find (I was browsing on my phone and didn't want to lose them), and a smarter me might have written down where those links were. Oh well. I can't believe the amount of work that goes into planning this, I'm already looking forward to it!

::continues to lurk in other thread and go through linked websites::

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
andyduncan wrote:I'm in for the Vet's tour. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Good! I was wondering if you'd make it again.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
polarbear22 wrote:Good news. Hope we can all make it.
gregorylane wrote:Good! I was wondering if you'd make it again.

Well he's currently on the wait list, but yeah, it'll be good to see him again if he moves up the list.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

How did I miss this?
Put me on the list, at least the wait list...
+1 if possible, if not, just one.
First timer.

CT

gregorylane

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well he's currently on the wait list, but yeah, it'll be good to see him again if he moves up the list.

Hak, you going to do that google-doc thing that you do so well? When the dates are set I mean.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
richardhod wrote:there will be dropouts. rpm can take this as a request to be on the waiting list if you so desire. Last time eveeryone who wanted to be on the list managed to get on the tour in teh end, despite a waiting list!

Have to say, I was number 46 on the wait list two months before the tour. As drop outs hit, I got my space. So, if you are serious, put your name down! Of course, with people putting deposits down, the drop outs should be fewer, but you never know.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

HitAnyKey42

gregorylane wrote:Hak, you going to do that google-doc thing that you do so well? When the dates are set I mean.

Sure thing. I can do that again. I've already made a copy of the last one and as thing get hammered out a bit more in detail, I'll make the necessary updates and share the spreadsheet with those who I already have the email addresses for.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

My +1 is graduating in June and may or may not have a job at the time of the tour. What is the best way to handle this? I'm thinking that whenever it comes time for her slot to pony up, I'll decline and have her put to the end of the wait list. Is this the fair way to handle that or is there a better way? I should be able to firm it up by the end of May. I personally will be going regardless.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

cmaldoon wrote:My +1 is graduating in June and may or may not have a job at the time of the tour. What is the best way to handle this? I'm thinking that whenever it comes time for her slot to pony up, I'll decline and have her put to the end of the wait list. Is this the fair way to handle that or is there a better way? I should be able to firm it up by the end of May. I personally will be going regardless.

The other option is to pay the deposit, and if she has to cancel then the next person on the wait list would pay the deposit to you and take her spot.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rpm

cmaldoon wrote:My +1 is graduating in June and may or may not have a job at the time of the tour. What is the best way to handle this? I'm thinking that whenever it comes time for her slot to pony up, I'll decline and have her put to the end of the wait list. Is this the fair way to handle that or is there a better way? I should be able to firm it up by the end of May. I personally will be going regardless.

We understand many people have situations which make making a commitment difficult. Because there are more people who want to go than can, we have to be pretty hard and fast on requiring the deposit, and having it returnable only if a replacement takes the slot and pays the dropout his or her deposit back.

The only way to be certain of the slot would be to deposit, hoping that if things don't work out there will still be wooters on the waiting list who will be willing to take your slot.

OTOH, if you're not willing to take that risk, you cannot be assured of a slot for +1. And, in fairness, when slots open up, if you'll either have to deposit then or go to the back of the line again.

I don't know of any way to do it that might be fairer.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
Itwdswafo wrote:I'm about 5 pages away from reading the entire last thread. Sounds like a great trip, and I'm glad that July has already been slotted as my "California month." There were a few links I'll have to go back and find (I was browsing on my phone and didn't want to lose them), and a smarter me might have written down where those links were. Oh well. I can't believe the amount of work that goes into planning this, I'm already looking forward to it!

::continues to lurk in other thread and go through linked websites::

Download the Read It Later app - you can save links there and, um, read them later

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

rpm wrote: ... A lengthy, fair and reasonable reply...

Sounds like a plan. In that case, would you kindly move my +1 to the back of the line now? I think it would be more advantageous than moving her there in a month when deposits become required.

Thanks!

My Cellar

klezman

rpm wrote:We understand many people have situations which make making a commitment difficult. Because there are more people who want to go than can, we have to be pretty hard and fast on requiring the deposit, and having it returnable only if a replacement takes the slot and pays the dropout his or her deposit back.

The only way to be certain of the slot would be to deposit, hoping that if things don't work out there will still be wooters on the waiting list who will be willing to take your slot.

OTOH, if you're not willing to take that risk, you cannot be assured of a slot for +1. And, in fairness, when slots open up, if you'll either have to deposit then or go to the back of the line again.

I don't know of any way to do it that might be fairer.

Sounds like fully reasonable policies, rpm. I recall how much of a pain it was last time around, even though I benefited by joining with a week or so remaining, starting from 50+ on the waiting list.

Also, thanks again to you and woop and WD for organizing again. I stand ready to offer any assistance any of you would ask of me.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

cmaldoon wrote:Sounds like a plan. In that case, would you kindly move my +1 to the back of the line now? I think it would be more advantageous than moving her there in a month when deposits become required.

Thanks!

Not really, because if I know you won't take a slot before May, it's not fair to have your +1 ahead of others who are ready to commit and who ask to join the list between now and the time you can commit.

What we can do is put your +1 at the end of the list, and keep putting her back to the end of the line until you send me a pm that you are now prepared to commit if a slot comes open.

I'm not sure that's very helpful, but as long as there are wooters ready, willing and able to deposit, I can't 'hold' a non-depositor's slot.

I won't do anything today, you think about it and let us know.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

gregorylane

klezman wrote: I stand ready to offer any assistance any of you would ask of me.

I don't know what my un-techie butt can do, but me too on this.

rpm-2012

cmaldoon

rpm wrote: ... Something just as fair but not as advantageous ...

In that case it will depend on the size of the deposit and therefore the risk involved.

Let's leave the +1 here until deposits are decided on. Then if it's too much risk then we'll just remove the +1 entirely ( no need to hold a spot at the end of the list when it can just be taken any time)

Once again, I'm in regardless.

My Cellar

rpm

cmaldoon wrote:In that case it will depend on the size of the deposit and therefore the risk involved.

Let's leave the +1 here until deposits are decided on. Then if it's too much risk then we'll just remove the +1 entirely ( no need to hold a spot at the end of the list when it can just be taken any time)

Once again, I'm in regardless.

I think that's the right decision for now....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo

OK - here is an update.

The current "plan" is to do two overlapping tours - M-W and W-F with the earlier tour being dedicated to those who have not yet been before and covering a lot of the same ground of the first tour. This will also allow for us to have an overlapping dinner/get-together/shin-dig/blowout on Tuesday evening.

The second tour will have some overlap with old favorites with perhaps more of an emphasis on Napa and Cabernet in particular.

The two current candidate weeks are:
July 16-20 and July 23 to 27.

We are checking on some key wineries schedules to see if one week or another is a better fit with their schedules.

We *should* have an answer by this Wed. Jan. 25.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Thanks to RPM, woopdedoo, and anyone else helping orchestrate the tour.

I'm positive they'll be no shortage of wine, but I'm curious if folks still bring special bottles to share, gift, etc.?

HitAnyKey42

woopdedoo wrote:OK - here is an update.

The current "plan" is to do two overlapping tours - M-W and W-F with the earlier tour being dedicated to those who have not yet been before and covering a lot of the same ground of the first tour. This will also allow for us to have an overlapping dinner/get-together/shin-dig/blowout on Tuesday evening.

The second tour will have some overlap with old favorites with perhaps more of an emphasis on Napa and Cabernet in particular.

The two current candidate weeks are:
July 16-20 and July 23 to 27.

We are checking on some key wineries schedules to see if one week or another is a better fit with their schedules.

We *should* have an answer by this Wed. Jan. 25.

*crossing my fingers for the July 23-27* The earlier week makes it almost impossible for me to attend due to work requirements. So I'm praying for it to be the second week.

Any thoughts on how you would manage to do things for the overlapping day? The prior tours were three full days worth of touring the vineyards. If there is an overlapping day, that makes the tours only go for 2 days with something weird for Wednesday. Kind of hard to share a bus for a day, and even harder to share an rpm.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

gregorylane

bsevern wrote:Thanks to RPM, woopdedoo, and anyone else helping orchestrate the tour.

I'm positive they'll be no shortage of wine, but I'm curious if folks still bring special bottles to share, gift, etc.?

A few did on the last tour, but they are heavy and cost us dearly when caught with overweight luggage. Joatmon really wowed everyone with his sharing of a couple of Madeiras...one from 1857 IIRC. So much of the wines we can buy, are served at lunches and dinners, and the tastings themselves are special enough for me...I think I'll leave mine at home this time around.

Although there are no promises, some of the owners and Vintners get caught up in the spirit of being with knowledgeable and enthusiastic people, that they open some special bottles of their own that have to be seen to be believed!!

rpm-2012

rpm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:*crossing my fingers for the July 23-27* The earlier week makes it almost impossible for me to attend due to work requirements. So I'm praying for it to be the second week.

Any thoughts on how you would manage to do things for the overlapping day? The prior tours were three full days worth of touring the vineyards. If there is an overlapping day, that makes the tours only go for 2 days with something weird for Wednesday. Kind of hard to share a bus for a day, and even harder to share an rpm.

This has always been my concern with the overlap concept. We would have separate buses for the two groups, of course. And, there should be a full day's tasting for each group on the overlap day.

The basic schedule for the two tours would be:

Tour 1

1. Arrive Sunday - Sunday night gathering/introduction/welcome - rpm/woop/WD/assorted winery folks.

2. Monday Tour/Tasting - possible group dinner/possible free evening in Sonoma Plaza area

3. Tuesday Tour/tasting - combined Dinner with arriving Tour 2 wooters

4. Wednesday Tour/tasting - Final Gathering Dinner

Tour 2.

1. Arrive Tuesday - Tuesday evening - Dinner with Tour 1/ combined with introduction/gathering

2. Wednesday Tour/Tasting - group or free dinner

3. Thursday Tour/Tasting - group or free dinner

4. Friday Tour/Tasting - Final Gathering Dinner

As you can see, this gets everyone in during one week, and gets the two groups together. The only problem is "where's rpm?" We don't have the details yet, but the idea my handlers are selling me on is that I will be something of a "flying squadron" dividing my time on the overlap day.

This is less than an ideal solution, but the alternatives are (1) try to get wineries to let us start on a Sunday for Tour 1 or go Saturday for Tour 2 - neither of which is attractive because that's when wineries get their Summer tourist crowds, which we Anvilania to get lost in, or (2) conduct the two Tours over two different weeks.

As to which week it will be if it's one week, we just don't know until we get the feedback we've asked from from some key wineries.

Tour 1 is going to look a lot like the 2008 Tour, though the days may be moved around, some wineries will be different, and eating choices will have to differ (Deuce being history, for one....).

Tour 2 is intended to go beyond what we've done to look at Cabernet Sauvignon in more depth, rather like the 2010 Tour emphasized Pinot Noir, which will probably mean more time in Napa and less in Sonoma, though we intend at least a day in Sonoma County somewhere. I would love to get the group to the Anderson Valley to spend time getting to know the fine Rieslings, Gewuerztraminers and sparklers coming out of there, but I fear it is a drive too far. Remember, Riesling was the most important white varietal in California before Prohibition! Yet, now, it's hard to find.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

gregorylane

HitAnyKey42 wrote:*crossing my fingers for the July 23-27* The earlier week makes it almost impossible for me to attend due to work requirements. So I'm praying for it to be the second week.

2 things:
One...a HAK-less Tour just ain't a Tour. I vote for when HAK can go. (besides, if he doesn't come I don't get to meet the fair Cheron!)
Two...I would say rpm could stay with the newbies if the veterans went to a couple of places the first day that overlapped with the newbie Tour. Heck he could even change buses half way through.

Just sayin'...

Edit: Or what he said up there...
Edit: Or what she said down there

rpm-2012

klezman

gregorylane wrote:
One...a HAK-less Tour just ain't a Tour. I vote for when HAK can go. (besides, if he doesn't come I don't get to meet the fair Cheron!)

I don't assume an absent HAK implies an absent Octocat

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

My 2 cents is for the latter week, knowing that it depends upon the wineries availability, etc.

rpm, couldn't both groups visit the same, or a couple of the same, wineries, on the overlap day, with the content offered being different to apply to each group? Then after lunch you could go with the advanced group.

gregorylane

klezman wrote:I don't assume an absent HAK implies an absent Octocat

Knew it after I wrote it, but still stand by it!

rpm-2012

HitAnyKey42

sanity wrote:rpm, couldn't both groups visit the same, or a couple of the same, wineries, on the overlap day, with the content offered being different to apply to each group? Then after lunch you could go with the advanced group.

This was mentioned earlier, but only just briefly. The main problem with this is that there's pretty much no winery that wants 50 people showing up all at once. Many of them can't even accommodate two buses in their parking lot/driveway, probably. It's basically just too much to handle.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

sanity

Well, isn't Anvilania a fun woot filter, lol.

I would love to visit the Anderson Valley re the whites rpm mentioned. My first Introduction to wine was in Germany, along the Middle Rhine Valley, and I first got to develop my taste for wine with some fine, and not so fine, Rieslings and Gewurztraminers.

sanity

HitAnyKey42 wrote:This was mentioned earlier, but only just briefly. The main problem with this is that there's pretty much no winery that wants 50 people showing up all at once. Many of them can't even accommodate two buses in their parking lot/driveway, probably. It's basically just too much to handle.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out HAK, I realized after I hit post that I had read something similar and reread most of the thread.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

I think no matter what dates the tour ends up, it will be full, and everyone that goes will love it!

rpm

sanity wrote:My 2 cents is for the latter week, knowing that it depends upon the wineries availability, etc.

rpm, couldn't both groups visit the same, or a couple of the same, wineries, on the overlap day, with the content offered being different to apply to each group? Then after lunch you could go with the advanced group.

No can do 50+ folks at a winery - it wouldn't be a very enjoyable experience for them or for us. Besides, the two groups may be doing different kinds of tastings.

As I said, I'm not sure how we'll end up handling dividing my time. It is possible that after 2 full days of rpm, Tour-1-ists may be ready for some wineries without rpm, if the hosts have interesting enough things planned and put on a good enough show (no prizes for guessing who that might include...). Given that Tour 2 will operate a little differently, it may be essential for me to be at at least the 1st 2 or 3 wineries with the Tour-2-ists on Wednesday, then rejoining Tour 1 later in the day.

There is no question that if the Tours are the same week, you get 2-1/2 days with rpm, not 3 full.

We'll try to schedule Wednesday night as a 'free night' for Tour 2 so I can be with Tour-1-ists for their final dinner.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
rpm wrote:There is no question that if the Tours are the same week, you get 2-1/2 days with rpm, not 3 full.

We'll try to schedule Wednesday night as a 'free night' for Tour 2 so I can be with Tour-1-ists for their final dinner.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm sure we would all love to have you for 3 full days, but since it's not feasible, this sounds like a good compromise.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Someday (assuming RPM and Woop aren't killed by overly enthusiastic wooters), I hope to join for a tour.

Enjoy the juice, all.

signed.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Either week looks good on my calendar. And the sharing of RPM sounds good and ideal for the situation. Sounds like Tuesday will be a large group dinner for everyone? Will Wednesday be also?