MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zTimothyBz wrote:Aren't the prices people actually pay what determines the value?

I mean if winemaker X has a list price of $1000/bottle, but no one ever pays more than $10, isn't it silly to record a value of $1000?

And I'm not going to compete in the wine-purchase butcher-bill contest. It's not fair, since Sparky only had room in his car for me to bring back eight bottles.

It's better thought of as it's replacement cost. It's not like we're going to be able to match the initial price we got on some of those wines.

If we had to buy them again, chances are we'd be paying close to full retail for them.

And there was room for a case of you to bring back. As well as room for the case I bought at Concannon. It's just you chose to use rjquillin as your sub, and I had his case back there.

Edit: Ooh! Me!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
zTimothyBz wrote:It's not fair, since Sparky only had room in his car for me to bring back eight bottles.

But you also assisted with at least a few cases in filling up ~my~ car too...

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:And there was room for a case of you to bring back. As well as room for the case I bought at Concannon. It's just you chose to use rjquillin as your sub, and I had his case back there.

And we know you don't drink your wine, and he was with you as well. Now me, otoh, the somewhat unknown factor, with all those cases, to think, the damage I could have done to them.. But I think you had the Corison, not me.

CT

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
Winedavid39 wrote:hi all,

i'll have some shipping options (different times to ship RPM stuff) to you early next week.

thanks again for an epic time. one for the history books!

Thanks WD! It's hot in Atlanta, so I'm hoping for later shipments

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Consider me duly impressed with the amount of wine y'all can buy in three days

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
zTimothyBz wrote:Aren't the prices people actually pay what determines the value?

I mean if winemaker X has a list price of $1000/bottle, but no one ever pays more than $10, isn't it silly to record a value of $1000?

And I'm not going to compete in the wine-purchase butcher-bill contest. It's not fair, since Sparky only had room in his car for me to bring back eight bottles.

I would think Sparky's car could hold quite a bit crap! I mean, fine wine.

Congrats on your Corison purchase. I wanted to do something similar, but felt that staying married was more important.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:It's better thought of as it's replacement cost. It's not like we're going to be able to match the initial price we got on some of those wines.

If we had to buy them again, chances are we'd be paying close to full retail for them.

And there was room for a case of you to bring back. As well as room for the case I bought at Concannon. It's just you chose to use rjquillin as your sub, and I had his case back there.

I want to hear more about Mewalk and Mother's experiences. My insurer won't cover wine at replacement cost. So want to know more about their experience with actual losses.

I am more with TimothyB on value in CT. I want to see what the actual market price is when I am looking to buy retail or in a restaurant. Knowing the MSRP is kind of useless if no one oays near that.

IN CT, I use auction value to determine current replacement cost, not what others paid. Though per the above, that is more for curiosity I feel.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
tenuki wrote:Consider me duly impressed with the amount of wine y'all can buy in three days

I was duly impressed with myself as well as others too.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:I would think Sparky's car could hold quite a bit crap! I mean, fine wine.

Congrats on your Corison purchase. I wanted to do something similar, but felt that staying married was more important.

Normally, the Wootmobile holds quite a bit, but we had zTimBz's giant hairdryer to contend with.

I did use a bigger suitcase this trip, but also brought along all those useless games that Hak/Cat/etc. might have played (but didn't). Those took up extra room as well.

Same room available as 4 years ago, when I brought back 6.5 cases, it's just that I didn't have a passenger (said passenger also rode back in a larger SUV that time) back then.

And someone insisted on bringing those giant wooden Corison boxes home as well!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
tenuki wrote:Consider me duly impressed with the amount of wine y'all can buy in three days

You would too if you were there I was only up for a day and spent almost $400 on only 6 bottles. That's what happens when one stop is Corison.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

polarbear22 wrote:I want to hear more about Mewalk and Mother's experiences. My insurer won't cover wine at replacement cost. So want to know more about their experience with actual losses.

I am more with TimothyB on value in CT. I want to see what the actual market price is when I am looking to buy retail or in a restaurant. Knowing the MSRP is kind of useless if no one oays near that.

IN CT, I use auction value to determine current replacement cost, not what others paid. Though per the above, that is more for curiosity I feel.

For me I think it's more along the lines of the visual. I enter what it would have cost me "retail". I fluctuate between what price I'll enter into the Valuation box.
For the woot purchased wines, I tend to enter the winery price+extimated tax (or something like that. Typically take winery retail + $5. And that's what I enter.
For other wines, I'll use Wine-Searcher. If lots of various amounts show up, I typically use an amount somewhere near mid/low end of the various stores.

But like I said, it's a visual thing for me. I like seeing the big variance between Cost & Value...such as:
TOTAL COLLECTION: 569 bottles in stock and 68 pending delivery (Value: $23,619.86; Cost: $13,993.39)
Though I figure if I ever had to deal with an insurance thingy, I'd try to use the Value It's SUMMER!

Still need to enter my wines from Iron Horse and all of Friday from the tour. But my biggest issue now is that I'm somewhat F'd with regards to most of those.
I had a spreadsheet with all the purchase data from the tour on my laptop. And all the tour receipts were in the laptop case. And with that being stolen last Friday, I no longer have any of that data.
Welp, that realization just put me in a sucky mood again today. Blah! Yet another little thing amongst all the crap I'm having to deal with everything stolen.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

I always put the actual amount I paid per bottle with tax and shipping into CT. It helps keep the average price in there closer to what people are actually paying for the bottle. Also, I store my wine based on what was paid. More expensive bottles ($25+) that I plan to hold for 3+ years go into the wine fridge, middle range bottles 6 months - 2 years (15-$25) go into my less than ideal rack in the closet. And finally everyday drinkers sub $15 fill in the closet rack and then overflow into my kitchen rack where wines go to be consumed immediately or else they go bad in th warm kitchen.

So the actual values paid help organize me. For wines that were gifted to me I always put a CT value of $0. Which I am sure screws everything up.

CT

HitAnyKey42

cortot20 wrote:I always put the actual amount I paid per bottle with tax and shipping into CT. It helps keep the average price in there closer to what people are actually paying for the bottle. Also, I store my wine based on what was paid. More expensive bottles ($25+) that I plan to hold for 3+ years go into the wine fridge, middle range bottles 6 months - 2 years (15-$25) go into my less than ideal rack in the closet. And finally everyday drinkers sub $15 fill in the closet rack and then overflow into my kitchen rack where wines go to be consumed immediately or else they go bad in th warm kitchen.

So the actual values paid help organize me. For wines that were gifted to me I always put a CT value of $0. Which I am sure screws everything up.

There's two fields. There's the "Cost" field and the "Personal Valuation". The price you paid (or the $0 for a gift) is what you would be putting in the Cost field. You can sort by that field for deciding where to put things and knowing how much you actually paid.
The "Personal valuation" field is an additional field where you can put what you believe the bottle is worth. And I've even updated those over time too, as a bottle ages. Such bottles when a winery moves it to their Library and charges more, and when many stores&auctions would also sell it for more than it was released. I do those updates sometimes too (though rarely).

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Looks like the Pedroncelli's added the port cupcake recipe to their website:

Tasty Heaven

Going to see if I can get a recipe going with the white port too. Next NY Gathering?

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Sorry to hear about your laptop, HAK.

I didn't realize that you could add a separate "personal value" in CT that's different from what you actually paid (although I see it now). I'm currently in the process of adding the tax/shipping that I paid to all my wines whereas previously I only put that info in the "purchase note" field. So if the total value of all your woot wines goes up by 10-15 cents today, you can thank me later.

chipgreen

Itwdswafo wrote:Looks like the Pedroncelli's added the port cupcake recipe to their website:

Tasty Heaven

Going to see if I can get a recipe going with the white port too. Next NY Gathering?

Oh, man... those cupcakes were delicious! Glad I was greedy and went up for a second one.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Itwdswafo wrote:Looks like the Pedroncelli's added the port cupcake recipe to their website:

Tasty Heaven

Wasn't there a filling in the cupcakes we had? The recipe doesn't have a filling.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Itwdswafo

JOATMON wrote:Wasn't there a filling in the cupcakes we had? The recipe doesn't have a filling.

The port ganache frosting at the bottom of the recipe was both the frosting and the filling.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
Itwdswafo wrote:The port ganache frosting at the bottom of the recipe was both the frosting and the filling.

Anybody know how to do the filling on a cupcake? Thanks!

Itwdswafo

CAGrl wrote:Anybody know how to do the filling on a cupcake? Thanks!

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123

You can MAKE those delicious cupcakes!? I assumed that they had been conjured - they were that fabulous.

If you're going to bring them to a NYC tasting, please let me know. I'll make every possible effort to take the train from VA to be there.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
kkv123 wrote:You can MAKE those delicious cupcakes!? I assumed that they had been conjured - they were that fabulous.

If you're going to bring them to a NYC tasting, please let me know. I'll make every possible effort to take the train from VA to be there.

Sigh, the wine and company aren't enough?? You need fabulously decadent chocolate cupcakes to make you travel? :-)

Ok, I admit they were wonderful, and I am looking at the recipe myself.

NOTE: The recipe, after examining, is for "mini" cupcakes. Why no filling is mentioned. I am sure an enterprising cook can figure out any required differences in making full size cupcakes (baking time, etc.)

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

HitAnyKey42

delete....wrong thread

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Itwdswafo

Winedavid39 wrote:hi all,

i'll have some shipping options (different times to ship RPM stuff) to you early next week.

thanks again for an epic time. one for the history books!

Just checking... has any one else received info on this?

rjquillin

Itwdswafo wrote:Just checking... has any one else received info on this?

deleted by request

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:I'm thinking hostage bottles till Woop does him good by that fence post.

Do I even want to know what this means?

klezman

chemvictim wrote:Do I even want to know what this means?

It means what you want it to mean?

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

It does sound, ah, well, a bit colorful

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson

Think "does him good by that fence post" = fixes or repairs that fence post.

HitAnyKey42

What happens on the tour, stays on the tour.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
rjquillin wrote:I'm thinking hostage bottles till Woop does him good by that fence post.

What happens in Tour stays in Tour.... edit the post.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bsevern wrote:It does sound, ah, well, a bit colorful

Oh dear...it does. That's not what I was thinking...I wondered what on earth Woop had done to the fence post that needed repaired. I'm embarrassed now...sorry folks.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jmdavidson
chemvictim wrote:Oh dear...it does. That's not what I was thinking...I wondered what on earth Woop had done to the fence post that needed repaired. I'm embarrassed now...sorry folks.

The fence post is irrelevant. Has WD given us any clue as to when the wine will be shipped?

klezman

jmdavidson wrote:The fence post is irrelevant. Has WD given us any clue as to when the wine will be shipped?

Well, I've got 2 w.w. shipments coming today that started their journey on Monday. I'll let you know if the tour stuff arrives with it.

chipgreen

Itwdswafo wrote:Just checking... has any one else received info on this?

We probably won't receive anything other than general info in this thread unless WD can reverse engineer our real names to our screen names. After the fact, I realized that it might have been a good idea to put my woot user name and/or email address on my boxes.

As one of the wine unloaders at David's place, I saw most of the labels and like mine, they just had name and mailing address.

HitAnyKey42

chipgreen wrote:We probably won't receive anything other than general info in this thread unless WD can reverse engineer our real names to our screen names. After the fact, I realized that it might have been a good idea to put my woot user name and/or email address on my boxes.

As one of the wine unloaders at David's place, I saw most of the labels and like mine, they just had name and mailing address.

Yeah, well some of mine (especially ones that were picked up at the wineries directly, such as Wellington) just say "HAK" on them. But I'm pretty sure he knows my username stuff well enough by now to figure out those are mine.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, well some of mine (especially ones that were picked up at the wineries directly, such as Wellington) just say "HAK" on them. But I'm pretty sure he knows my username stuff well enough by now to figure out those are mine.

Time to create a HAK account

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:What happens on the tour, stays on the tour.

unless it's a marriage proposal.

And then it goes on Facebook and the whole world knows.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
chipgreen wrote:We probably won't receive anything other than general info in this thread unless WD can reverse engineer our real names to our screen names. After the fact, I realized that it might have been a good idea to put my woot user name and/or email address on my boxes.

Er. They have access to the database. Wouldn't take much to do a matchup of user to real names.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

It'll be interesting to see if my Scott Harvey order makes it

I hope so, that Rose' was terrific, as were all of the wines!!