MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:Made me look up my old total from 2008.

Measly 78 bottles (6.5 cases) from that trip.

I did much better this time restraining my spending.

Only 66 bottles (5.5 cases) this tour. Although there are the additional 10 bottles (not counting the 2 PS Choc Sauce) from Concannon afterwards.

Edit: Me!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Okay, so far I only saw KKV123 having a problem with her pictures up. And she was on the Newbie tour (which means I only need to worry about the Labrat pics from Tuesday night).

And if I recall correctly, RPM had a post about using only Wooter screen names on pics.

Anyone else? Speak now or forever hold your peas.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, so far I only saw KKV123 having a problem with her pictures up. And she was on the Newbie tour (which means I only need to worry about the Labrat pics from Tuesday night).

And if I recall correctly, RPM had a post about using only Wooter screen names on pics.

Anyone else? Speak now or forever hold your peas.

Maybe we should create a private group on FaceBook or some such for them?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

redwinefan wrote:Maybe we should create a private group on FaceBook or some such for them?

Not everyone is on FB (I know, I know. Luddites!).

However, some people don't want any of their pictures out there. Anywhere. And we have to respect their wishes.

And just because FB says it's "private", doesn't mean it stays that way.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
North316 wrote:So anyways, when can I sign up for the 2014 tour?

me too...

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
MarkDaSpark wrote:However, some people don't want any of their pictures out there. Anywhere. And we have to respect their wishes.

And those people are deeply appreciative of your kind understanding.

Perhaps some are just shy. Then again, there might be others that have jobs that require a security clearance that requires a heightened level of scrutiny into their private life...background investigations with questions about personal habits, financial disclosures, random drug tests, etc.

I imagine such people would view the scrutiny into their own personal life as an occupational hazard, but nevertheless might wish to minimize their online presence as a means of preserving some small measure of privacy for themselves while simultaneously providing a penumbra of protection against any collateral intrusion into the lives of family and friends.

But that's just a guess.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

hi all,

i'll have some shipping options (different times to ship RPM stuff) to you early next week.

thanks again for an epic time. one for the history books!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Winedavid39 wrote:hi all,

i'll have some shipping options (different times to ship RPM stuff) to you early next week.

And once again, thanks to you for helping make it all possible. There's a lot of folks out here hoping it won't be only for the history books.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
MarkDaSpark wrote:Not everyone is on FB (I know, I know. Luddites!).

However, some people don't want any of their pictures out there. Anywhere. And we have to respect their wishes.

Cross posting here - I put my photos up on Google, and HaK reminded me to use screen names.

Links are in the Compendium post started by Sparky. Please look them over - and if there are ANY that have someone who doesn't want their pick out there, or what ever, please PM me so I can remove what ever.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49

Thanks David to you, your better half and all of the staff at WCC that make it all possible. It truly was an epic time, and hopefully will happen again. Whenever my stuff arrives is immaterial to me. Thanks

brightgreen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brightgreen

Cross post from cyber pub:

Hello Wooters! I tagged along as cmaldoon's +1 on the RPM newbie tour, without having used Woot beforehand. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on the tour, and was welcomed with open arms by the Wooters there. Having returned to the world of normal life, I have (encouraged by cmaldoon) decided to further explore the Wine Woot community. I'm a recent college graduate in environmental studies. As far as wine goes, I have several years of experience digging through c's wine cellar. I'd like to think I have a reasonable palate, but still have much more to learn. I tend to like denser fruity reds with light-medium tannin and crisp, fruity whites. I have a fairly wide open palate, but the cheap stuff generally doesn't work for me anymore.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
brightgreen wrote:Cross post from cyber pub:

Hello Wooters! I tagged along as cmaldoon's +1 on the RPM newbie tour, without having used Woot beforehand. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on the tour, and was welcomed with open arms by the Wooters there. Having returned to the world of normal life, I have (encouraged by cmaldoon) decided to further explore the Wine Woot community. I'm a recent college graduate in environmental studies. As far as wine goes, I have several years of experience digging through c's wine cellar. I'd like to think I have a reasonable palate, but still have much more to learn. I tend to like denser fruity reds with light-medium tannin and crisp, fruity whites. I have a fairly wide open palate, but the cheap stuff generally doesn't work for me anymore.

Don't think I got a chance to meet you during the week, but I look forward to getting to know you better through the forums. Welcome to the madhouse, and be sure to stop by the CyberPub if you haven't already That's where all the cool kids hang out

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
Winedavid39 wrote:

NO, THANK YOU!!

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
brightgreen wrote:Cross post from cyber pub:

It was a pleasure and privilege to meet you and taste with you on the Newbie Tour. Welcome, brightgreen, a Veteran of the Class of 2012!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
MarkDaSpark wrote:Not everyone is on FB (I know, I know. Luddites!).

Joel and I are both good with photos out in cyber space. He's not on FB, but you can feel free to tag me if it's a photo of him. We don't care if our real names get used.

Check out our cellar

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
JOATMON wrote:Has anybody else looked closely at their Dry Creek receipt? Their discount percentages are really weird, and it looks like they were trying to get the total price out the door including taxes to be a nice round number. Plus, they did not charge any taxes on the 1995 Vintner's Cabernet.

Also, I did not get a discount on the PS vertical from Foppiano. It is a great deal without it a discount, though.

Dry Creek seems to have messed my purchase up more than I thought...

I previously stated that we brought home 100 bottles, but when I got around to posting all the receipts, the receipts only added up to 98 bottles. The only way to figure out the discrepancy was to go down into the basement and cross check.

Turns out Dry Creek forgot to put the two Mariner wines on my bill along with all the other stuff we bought on the newby stop there. Woop, do you have a telephone number for your contact there that I can call? I don't want to call the tasting room directly, I suspect they would charge me full price.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

mchoffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchoffin

Had a great time during the tour and thanks for everything

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
JOATMON wrote:Dry Creek seems to have messed my purchase up more than I thought...

I previously stated that we brought home 100 bottles, but when I got around to posting all the receipts, the receipts only added up to 98 bottles. The only way to figure out the discrepancy was to go down into the basement and cross check.

Turns out Dry Creek forgot to put the two Mariner wines on my bill along with all the other stuff we bought on the newby stop there. Woop, do you have a telephone number for your contact there that I can call? I don't want to call the tasting room directly, I suspect they would charge me full price.

You are one seriously organized man I can never remember what I buy on my trips to wine country, and it's usually about a tenth of what you have.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
michelleshari wrote:Joel and I are both good with photos out in cyber space. He's not on FB, but you can feel free to tag me if it's a photo of him. We don't care if our real names get used.

So Sparky has been calling both of us Luddites for not being on FB. Next time the three of us are in the same room, we'll have to have a little talk with him.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
JOATMON wrote:Dry Creek seems to have messed my purchase up more than I thought...

I'll have no idea what I receive until it gets here, but I do have three receipts. Interesting, on 7/24 I got a couple of the Heritage Zins; $38 -$7.60, 2 @ $15.20 is what the receipt says. That's 20% off.

On 7/26 I have a receipt for eight more, still $19 each, but 8 @ $12.16; humm, that's 36% off. Glad it wasn't the other way around.
All the other duplicate bottles were charged at the same prices, all 20% discount.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

I finally added up the damage (and got everything inputted into CT) and despite buying more wine than planned, I still have probably one of the lowest totals, with 38 bottles for almost exactly $1k.

$1,084 with tax (approximately). I say approximately because I was missing a few receipts and my +1 paid for the wine at Foppiano so I had to reconstruct everything as best I could. Was the Jana Rose really only $7.50/bottle at Scott's place? Wow... that's what I have written down but it's also one of the missing receipts.

EDIT: I got a bottle of the Dry Creek Heritage Zin on the 24th and got charged $12.17 ($19.00 minus $6.83). The other bottles I got from Dry Creek were all discounted 20%.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:So Sparky has been calling both of us Luddites for not being on FB. Next time the three of us are in the same room, we'll have to have a little talk with him.

Right. As long as you two bring the glasses, I'll bring the wine.

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:I finally added up the damage (and got everything inputted into CT) and despite buying more wine than planned, I still have probably one of the lowest totals, with 38 bottles for almost exactly $1k.

$1,084 with tax (approximately). I say approximately because I was missing a few receipts and my +1 paid for the wine at Foppiano so I had to reconstruct everything as best I could. Was the Jana Rose really only $7.50/bottle at Scott's place? Wow... that's what I have written down but it's also one of the missing receipts.

EDIT: I got a bottle of the Dry Creek Heritage Zin on the 24th and got charged $12.17 ($19.00 minus $6.83). The other bottles I got from Dry Creek were all discounted 20%.

Yes, that was the correct price on the Jana Rosé.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, that was the correct price on the Jana Rosé.

Thanks, I should have bought more of that!

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes, that was the correct price on the Jana Rosé.

And why I've got a case, missing a couple bottles now, sitting here.

CT

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:

They were having a sale on the Heritage Zin that day, and some people were able to get the 20% off the sale price. I think they eventually stopped allowing that, since by the time I checked out, it was just 20% off the retail which pretty much put it at the sale price they were offering anyhow.

Regardless, $12 or $15 for that wine is a great deal.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

redwinefan wrote:They were having a sale on the Heritage Zin that day, and some people were able to get the 20% off the sale price. I think they eventually stopped allowing that, since by the time I checked out, it was just 20% off the retail which pretty much put it at the sale price they were offering anyhow.

Regardless, $12 or $15 for that wine is a great deal.

Curious I paid the straight 20% while with the blossomies, but the greater discount later with the vets...

Now, if only it would arrive...
I brought as much as my car would hold back with me, but this wasn't one of them. Hopefully shipping will commence soon.

CT

bsevern

chipgreen wrote:Thanks, I should have bought more of that!

That stuff was really good. For $7.50/bottle, next to the DC Heritage Zin and their whites, one of the best QPR's on the trip!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bsevern wrote:That stuff was really good. For $7.50/bottle, next to the DC Heritage Zin and their whites, one of the best QPR's on the trip!

When Scott's trying to clear space, he practically gives stuff away. Go to his site and get his email newsletters. Couple times a year there's a ridiculous deal on stuff.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kkv123 wrote:And those people are deeply appreciative of your kind understanding.

Perhaps some are just shy. Then again, there might be others that have jobs that require a security clearance that requires a heightened level of scrutiny into their private life...background investigations with questions about personal habits, financial disclosures, random drug tests, etc.

I imagine such people would view the scrutiny into their own personal life as an occupational hazard, but nevertheless might wish to minimize their online presence as a means of preserving some small measure of privacy for themselves while simultaneously providing a penumbra of protection against any collateral intrusion into the lives of family and friends.

But that's just a guess.

And some of us may be hiding from the Yakuza.

Wait.....disregard this.

And now you know why I love Sake

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Just did the math...
30 bottles, a SH t-shirt that says I drink well with others, as well as a St. Supery golf shirt, for $1280.52. Not bad, for what we bought.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bsevern

cheron98 wrote:When Scott's trying to clear space, he practically gives stuff away. Go to his site and get his email newsletters. Couple times a year there's a ridiculous deal on stuff.

Will do, danke!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
otolith wrote:Just did the math...
30 bottles, a SH t-shirt that says I drink well with others, as well as a St. Supery golf shirt, for $1280.52. Not bad, for what we bought.

I did 50 bottles for $1,166.09. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
unknown user wrote:Perhaps some are just shy. Then again, there might be others that have jobs that require a security clearance that requires a heightened level of scrutiny into their private life...background investigations with questions about personal habits, financial disclosures, random drug tests, etc.

It's a different world now.
Back in the day, when *I* was cleared, the NSA could discover stuff about me that I didn't even know. And their main concern was to check me for "handles". So if the intratubes had existed, my being on a wine site wouldn't have worried them half so much as me being embarrassed to admit being on a web site.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Just a quick reminder for those using CellarTracker ... don't forget to put in the retail cost for your personal value. Otherwise CT uses your cost in calculating the community average value. Which lowers the average value of your wine.

Aren't the prices people actually pay what determines the value?

I mean if winemaker X has a list price of $1000/bottle, but no one ever pays more than $10, isn't it silly to record a value of $1000?

And I'm not going to compete in the wine-purchase butcher-bill contest. It's not fair, since Sparky only had room in his car for me to bring back eight bottles.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
CAGrl wrote:I did 50 bottles for $1,166.09. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

Ok because it is all the rage.... 43 bottles and 1 mag for ~$1220. But I also count the fotinos brothers Pinot that I got during the woot off while on the bus (because I had tasted it the night before). So 47 bottles, 1 Mag, and $1360.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon

zTimothyBz wrote:Aren't the prices people actually pay what determines the value?

I mean if winemaker X has a list price of $1000/bottle, but no one ever pays more than $10, isn't it silly to record a value of $1000?

I use the cost I paid, and if it is a discount, I usually add shipping. The only time I don't add in the full discount is when I use vouchers. Then I just use the selling price.

I once worked it out... My cellar averages 60% off retail. Since figuring that I have gotten over the whole retail/ discount thing and just go for QPR. That's what matters. What is in the bottle, not how much someone tried to market it for

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:Ok because it is all the rage.... 43 bottles and 1 mag for ~$1220. But I also count the fotinos brothers Pinot that I got during the woot off while on the bus (because I had tasted it the night before). So 47 bottles, 1 Mag, and $1360.

I think we did well. I'm excited to create my cellartracker profile and input everything as well as put stuff away in my fun cellar. I'm easily amused in case you couldn't tell.

cmaldoon

cmaldoon wrote:Ok because it is all the rage.... 43 bottles and 1 mag for ~$1220. But I also count the fotinos brothers Pinot that I got during the woot off while on the bus (because I had tasted it the night before). So 47 bottles, 1 Mag, and $1360.

And of note... That was the first Mag I have EVER purchased. Thanks Scott!

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:And of note... That was the first Mag I have EVER purchased. Thanks Scott!

Well, I have a mag of that one too. I'm so excited to open that up in many many years from now.