MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 183 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:She knows this guy who already has a fair number of monkeys. Plus, she has the sock monkey, which I think was the coolest one.

True, but these are new ones. And back with the hats, not the masks.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Something to consider when we get Woop's survey.

I liked it when the winery gave us the order form/price list at the beginning of the tasting. Made it easier to know which I wanted to order, which I wanted to taste first, and thus made it quicker to order. Problem was when we needed to taste other wines in their tasting room. Delayed ordering then.

I can imagine it was worse with the larger group.

Alternately, we figure out a way to fill out the order forms, pay, and have someone pick-up our orders the next day to drop off at WCC. No long waits to load the bus with our wine then. It was faster at Wellington IIRC.

Course then we can't sit in our rooms at night going, "My precious. My precious."

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:Something to consider when we get Woop's survey.

I liked it when the winery gave us the order form/price list at the beginning of the tasting. Made it easier to know which I wanted to order, which I wanted to taste first, and thus made it quicker to order. Problem was when we needed to taste other wines in their tasting room. Delayed ordering then.

I can imagine it was worse with the larger group.

Alternately, we figure out a way to fill out the order forms, pay, and have someone pick-up our orders the next day to drop off at WCC. No long waits to load the bus with our wine then. It was faster at Wellington IIRC.

Course then we can't sit in our rooms at night going, "My precious. My precious."

Yes, I would love to have had a complete listing first. Then as I taste and make value judgements I can also start figuring out what to get.

I have a 2+ page word doc of +/- notes for each activity we had on the tour.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Haven't looked at total damages, yet, but the bottle count, 750's and mags, totals 188, I think, in order, not counting the ones I'm forgetting:

1) Wellington 41
2) Harvey 40
3) Pedroncelli (tied 23)
4) Dry Creek (tied 23)
5) Corison (tied 10)
6) Harrison (tied 10)

It really hurts to be on both tours, but ohhhhh, so much fun!

[edit] and now Iron Horse comes up at a HUGE discount...

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
rjquillin wrote:Haven't looked at total damages, yet, but the bottle count, 750's and mags, totals 188, I think, in order, not counting the ones I'm forgetting:

1) Wellington 41
2) Harvey 40
3) Pedroncelli (tied 23)
4) Dry Creek (tied 23)
5) Corison (tied 10)
6) Harrison (tied 10)

Ron, you sir, are what I would call an over achiever

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Yes, I would love to have had a complete listing first. Then as I taste and make value judgements I can also start figuring out what to get.

Speaking of over-achieving!!

cmaldoon

MarkDaSpark wrote:Speaking of over-achieving!!

The question is if it is better to post it here or to email/PM.

There aren't any scathing negatives, just varrying levels of excitement.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:The question is if it is better to post it here or to email/PM.

There aren't any scathing negatives, just varrying levels of excitement.

Probably make it into a PDF, because I believe that someone mentioned there might be new website for 2012 tours, and it can then be accessible on the website as a PDF.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
rjquillin wrote:Haven't looked at total damages, yet, but the bottle count, 750's and mags, totals 188, I think, in order, not counting the ones I'm forgetting:

1) Wellington 41
2) Harvey 40
3) Pedroncelli (tied 23)
4) Dry Creek (tied 23)
5) Corison (tied 10)
6) Harrison (tied 10)

Weren't some of these from picking up previous orders and wine club releases? How much of this was actually purchased on the tour?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

1) Wellington 41
2) Harvey 40
3) Pedroncelli (tied 23)
4) Dry Creek (tied 23)
5) Corison (tied 10)
6) Harrison (tied 10)

And you wonder why you were selected as "Camper of the Year"?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

cmaldoon wrote:Yes, I would love to have had a complete listing first. Then as I taste and make value judgements I can also start figuring out what to get.

Ordering Point: We had lists at several wineries, but those lists often did not include library selections which were also available. Of course, in a couple of places, things not otherwise available became available when our group demonstrated its level of interest and seriousness. Wineries want to sell wine, to be sure, but they like to sell it to people who will appreciate it and become loyal club members/customers. In a wine world of at least an order of magnitude too many wines to try ot taste and remember, their survival depends on loyal fans who buy their wines consistently. The brain trust and I will discuss how to make things better in this area.

Notes: Well done, grasshopper! Taking the notes helps you focus on each wine you taste, and having them will help you remember each wine you tasted. As soon as I come up for air, I will write up my notes -- though I seem to be missing some of them.

I'm not sure the best way to handle notes: whether it will be better to put them online or to circulate them via Google Docs (as I did with the winery guidance the other day). I am inclined to the latter at this point, but welcome suggestions.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cmaldoon

rpm wrote:
Notes: Well done, grasshopper! Taking the notes helps you focus on each wine you taste, and having them will help you remember each wine you tasted. As soon as I come up for air, I will write up my notes -- though I seem to be missing some of them.

I'm not sure the best way to handle notes: whether it will be better to put them online or to circulate them via Google Docs (as I did with the winery guidance the other day). I am inclined to the latter at this point, but welcome suggestions.

Ahhh..... Wrong notes. I do have many pages of tasting notes too but I was more talking about notes on what I liked more or less about the experiences at each winery as well as welcome night, the bus, the Tuesday tasting, and the Wednesday party.

Should I post that here or email it?

My Cellar

rpm

cmaldoon wrote:Ahhh..... Wrong notes. I do have many pages of tasting notes too but I was more talking about notes on what I liked more or less about the experiences at each winery as well as welcome night, the bus, the Tuesday tasting, and the Wednesday party.

Should I post that here or email it?

E-mail it to me please, at the address on the spreadsheet.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

JOATMON wrote:Weren't some of these from picking up previous orders and wine club releases? How much of this was actually purchased on the tour?

Only a small minority of the Scott Harvey, all else were tour purchases.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rjquillin wrote:Only a small minority of the Scott Harvey, all else were tour purchases.

Weren't you the one that had ordered some Wellington Duchess?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So anyways, when can I sign up for the 2014 tour?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
North316 wrote:So anyways, when can I sign up for the 2014 tour?

You'll want to keep your fingers crossed for a while.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ddeuddeg wrote:You'll want to keep your fingers crossed for a while.

It's not fun typing like that.

I'm just hanging out, really.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

Just a quick popin to say that I need to change the shipping address for my tour shipment.

WD - you have a PM.

And while I haven't had a chance to say it before or upload any pix, Thanks to all for making the Tour a great experience, not just for me, but for the Pregosaurus as well. (yes, that is an approved term)

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
joelsisk wrote:Just a quick popin to say that I need to change the shipping address for my tour shipment.

WD - you have a PM.

And while I haven't had a chance to say it before or upload any pix, Thanks to all for making the Tour a great experience, not just for me, but for the Pregosaurus as well. (yes, that is an approved term)

Pregosaurus is actually the ONLY approved term other than pregnant or knocked up.

And yes. We had a blast.

Check out our cellar

tzarinaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tzarinaz
polarbear22 wrote:Weren't you the one that had ordered some Wellington Duchess?

I opened a bottle of The Duchess last night. So lovely, crisp and cool on a hot summer evening!

MarkDaSpark

1) Wellington 41
2) Harvey 40
3) Pedroncelli (tied 23)
4) Dry Creek (tied 23)
5) Corison (tied 10)
6) Harrison (tied 10)

Made me look up my old total from 2008.

Measly 78 bottles (6.5 cases) from that trip.

rjquillin

polarbear22 wrote:Weren't you the one that had ordered some Wellington Duchess?

Only had talked to Toby when it was released, he said if they ran low he'd hold one for me.
Purchased the case during the vet's visit, along with a lot of library bottles.

CT

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Made me look up my old total from 2008.

I think we both bow, at least in $$$ terms, to zTimothyBz.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 145 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Only had talked to Toby when it was released, he said if they ran low he'd hold one for me.

I ordered a half case of the duchess directly and have yet to try one. Waiting to try it with my soon to be not pregnent wife.

CT

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
rjquillin wrote:Only had talked to Toby when it was released, he said if they ran low he'd hold one for me.

Am I remembering wrong, or didn't we try Duchess on the newbie tour? I thought it was available for purchase... No?

Check out our cellar

rjquillin

michelleshari wrote:Am I remembering wrong, or didn't we try Duchess on the newbie tour? I thought it was available for purchase... No?

Missed day three with the Newbies, and a couple of wineries as well. It was mentioned to make that the first pour for the Vets, but that was squashed by Peter and we went directly to the cabs, each five years older the the preceding. Duchess was finally offered upon request after the Cabs, starting with a 2004 and ending with his '89.
There was a rather large stack of Duchess in the tasting room, I assume all for sale. I got mine anyway.

CT

bsevern

michelleshari wrote:Am I remembering wrong, or didn't we try Duchess on the newbie tour? I thought it was available for purchase... No?

There was a pallet of it in the middle of the tasting room, but as a group we didn't taste it (not sure if they poured it if asked?).

It sounded like a nice summer wine so I pulled the trigger on some.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bsevern wrote:There was a pallet of it in the middle of the tasting room, but as a group we didn't taste it (not sure if they poured it if asked?).

It sounded like a nice summer wine so I pulled the trigger on some.

It was poured because I tasted it if memory serves me correctly. I bought 6 because I tasted it.

bsevern

CAGrl wrote:It was poured because I tasted it if memory serves me correctly. I bought 6 because I tasted it.

I guess I don't remember then. I do remember tasting that White Port...that was nice!

rpm

tzarinaz wrote:I opened a bottle of The Duchess last night. So lovely, crisp and cool on a hot summer evening!

We didn't taste it on the Veteran Tour (unless you asked), but Peter gave me a glass when I saw him the week before the Tour. I bought a couple of bottles to enjoy over the weekend, it really is a nice summer sipper.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bsevern wrote:I guess I don't remember then. I do remember tasting that White Port...that was nice!

Now I'm doubting my memory.

JOATMON

MarkDaSpark wrote:

I wish you had also shown the back, as well.

The back label states that this was bottled 10-02, which means either October of 2002 or February of 2010. Since I bought it in 2005, the former must be the true date.

It's unclear to me if this was made from the Malmsy grapes. Pre-phylloxera Madeira is probably made from the grape type on the label, but post-phylloxera Madeira is most commonly made in the style on the label, but usually from Tinta Negra Mole grapes. Once Portugal joined the EU, the EU required that all Madeaira with a grape name on the label have at least 85% of that grape in the bottle.

Phylloxera hit the island in the 1870's, which makes me wonder what is in this bottle.

As far as tasting notes, it turned out to be rather good. It didn't require that much decanting, but did open up as time went on.

(as of 2011-03-02)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
joelsisk wrote:Just a quick popin to say that I need to change the shipping address for my tour shipment.

WD - you have a PM.

I had a great time meeting both you and the prego! And thanks for talking me into getting the box at Corison.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

JOATMON

neilfindswine wrote:
599848_10151126978099085_1531660598_n by nmaiers, on Flickr

Thanks for posting that.

This Madeira was, IIRC, purchased by a person in the American south who was a regular purchaser of Madeira throughout his life, and he stored them in his bank's vault. He didn't manage to drink all before he passed away, and Rare Wine Company managed to acquire the majority of his collection from auction.

Since it's post-phylloxera, I suspect it wasn't made from Malmsy grapes, but rather in the traditional Malmsy style.

I suspect that the bottle has been stored on its side since it was bought by the Southern gentleman, and never recorked. The cork was a soggy mess when I pulled it, and I tasted a slight hint of soggy decayed wood in the wine. The acidity was there, and the aroma was wonderful; it could be smelled several seats away when I pulled the cork.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

For all of you who would like to learn more about Madeira, I brought up the Madeira thread here.

I will be adding to that thread info about reasonably priced Madeira soon.

(as of 2011-03-02)

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic

As I recall, it didn't look that measly at the end of the trip.

MarkDaSpark wrote:Made me look up my old total from 2008.

rjquillin

JOATMON wrote:I wish you had also shown the back, as well.

Yup, got that.

But don't know how to resize.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
CAGrl wrote:Now I'm doubting my memory.

The duchess was the first wine we tasted.

The white port really reminded me of sherry. It was great!

I think I purchased 2-1/2 cases of wine, plus I picked up a 3L from Scott ('07 Barbera). Some wineries I didn't buy anything, as Corison (buying Kronos adds up) stunned my wife quite a bit. I wish I would have gotten more at Robert Craig, but I was trying to limit myself for the wife acceptance factor, only to have her say that I could have bought more there. :rolleyes:

The pinot noir at Iron Horse was sublime...May have to acquire more of that somewhere.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

JOATMON

I wonder how many Kronos 2001 Magnums Cathy still has in stock. At least three walked out that day.

(as of 2011-03-02)