txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49
mchoffin wrote:I'd like to thank everyone involved in the 2012 tour. i had a great time and learned a lot about wine. Also drank a lot of great stuff!!!!

Well you are no longer a forum virgin. Glad you enjoyed the tour and thank your wife for letting you come out and play for a while.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

As long as names are limited to Woot names the Blinks are cool.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

polarbear22

quality posts: 34 Private Messages polarbear22
UBlink wrote:the Blinks are cool.

IFTFY. The rest was extraneous.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

rpm

quality posts: 166 Private Messages rpm
MarkDaSpark wrote:After an expensive stop @ Concannon, we (zTimBz, rjquillin, & I) are finishing a nice early dinner at Harris Ranch.

If it weren't quite so far afield, I'd have loved to have included a stop at Concannon and Wente in the Livermore Valley. Very important area historically, and for the continuity of those two wineries. Wente is the original home of post-Prohibition Chardonnay in California -- indeed you see "Wente clone" listed in many places, as they generously shared with many, many growers as the Chardonnay revolution began in the 1960s. I still consider the 1962 Wente one of the great unoaked Chardonnays. It was the first California Chardonnay I tasted, and many, many people would have been better off emulating their original style rather than heading for oak/butter bomb land. Concannon has done lovely Petite Sirah (remember Louis Foppiano saying he and Concannon each claim the longest history with PS as a varietal wine) for years and years, and has made some very nice Cabernet in good years going back at least to the '60s.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

UBlink wrote:As long as names are limited to Woot names the Blinks are cool.

I agree: woot handles only.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
tzarinaz wrote:I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it!!! ;-P

I have an idea! Buy the Palouse that is currently up. I loved the '08!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rpm wrote:If it weren't quite so far afield, I'd have loved to have included a stop at Concannon and Wente in the Livermore Valley. Very important area historically, and for the continuity of those two wineries. Wente is the original home of post-Prohibition Chardonnay in California -- indeed you see "Wente clone" listed in many places, as they generously shared with many, many growers as the Chardonnay revolution began in the 1960s. I still consider the 1962 Wente one of the great unoaked Chardonnays. It was the first California Chardonnay I tasted, and many, many people would have been better off emulating their original style rather than heading for oak/butter bomb land. Concannon has done lovely Petite Sirah (remember Louis Foppiano saying he and Concannon each claim the longest history with PS as a varietal wine) for years and years, and has made some very nice Cabernet in good years going back at least to the '60s.

Hmm. Maybe next time's advanced group could tour the Livermore area for 2 days instead of a full 3 days? Leaving those of us able to go back up to Napa and/or Sonoma for a couple of days there on our own?

Jim Ryan, the Concannon Estate Manager is terrific, and their tour is really fascinating (went last year and this year after D&D in February).

Sadly, I had to come home this weekend, instead of staying for the PS Symposium this week.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

I have sent a google docs link to everyone on both Tours for whom I have an e-mail, with the 2012 Winery Guidance we sent to all of the hosting wineries.

Any Tourist who did not get the invite should pm me with your e-mail address, or add it to HAK's trip planner.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

Top 5 Wineries I spent the most at this trip:

#1) Wellington
#2) Dry Creek
#3) Concannon (ok, after the tour, but still!)
#4) Corison
#5) Harrison
#5) Martini (if you discount Concannon). Also may end up costing more as I joined their wine club.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tzarinaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tzarinaz
bahwm wrote:I have an idea! Buy the Palouse that is currently up. I loved the '08!

Bahwm - Did you SEE the trunk-load of wine we loaded in our car?????? Sanity demands that I at least wait until next week to purchase more! :-D

MarkDaSpark

WineDavid,

You should have pics. (Peter & WineGeorge, and the group at Scott's)

Sparky

MarkDaSpark

tzarinaz wrote:Bahwm - Did you SEE the trunk-load of wine we loaded in our car?????? Sanity demands that I at least wait until next week to purchase more! :-D

No, no, no. Sanity is an enabler. She posts out of Vegas.

klezman

quality posts: 118 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:If it weren't quite so far afield, I'd have loved to have included a stop at Concannon and Wente in the Livermore Valley. Very important area historically, and for the continuity of those two wineries. Wente is the original home of post-Prohibition Chardonnay in California -- indeed you see "Wente clone" listed in many places, as they generously shared with many, many growers as the Chardonnay revolution began in the 1960s. I still consider the 1962 Wente one of the great unoaked Chardonnays. It was the first California Chardonnay I tasted, and many, many people would have been better off emulating their original style rather than heading for oak/butter bomb land. Concannon has done lovely Petite Sirah (remember Louis Foppiano saying he and Concannon each claim the longest history with PS as a varietal wine) for years and years, and has made some very nice Cabernet in good years going back at least to the '60s.

Without the historical context, I agree that Wente has some excellent Chardonnay. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried these at several functions I've been to out here and found a wine that I'd actually be pleased to have in my cellar. Bonus that it's somewhat under the radar.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 164 Private Messages rjquillin
tzarinaz wrote:Bahwm - Did you SEE the trunk-load of wine we loaded in our car?????? Sanity demands that I at least wait until next week to purchase more! :-D

Here's a pic of the stash we unloaded at WD's locker before the party for later shipping, and this doesn't count what tourists still had in their rooms, and pickups to be made from Scott Harvey and Peter Wellington, which were not modest.

Thanks WD and the WCC staff!

Oh, how's that fence post?

CT

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
rjquillin wrote:Here's a pic of the stash we unloaded at WD's locker before the party for later shipping, and this doesn't count what tourists still had in their rooms, and pickups to be made from Scott Harvey and Peter Wellington, which were not modest.

Thanks WD and the WCC staff!

Oh, how's that fence post?

Fence post, not so good. WD was out fixing it today. Then we enjoyed some yummy leftover tri-tip with some yummy leftover wine!!! Thanks, Wooters!

Also, I poured all the leftover wine into a crock with the mother of vinegar I saved. What should we call the vinegar? RPM's Swirl and Spit?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
MarkDaSpark wrote:No, no, no. Sanity is an enabler. She posts out of Vegas.

I was confused too

CT

MarkDaSpark

tenuki wrote:I was confused too

And that's different how???

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Concannon was founded in 1883. Their Petite Sirah ages quite well too. I was in their wine club in the late 1990's - the early 2000's, and tasted through some of their 1980's and later reserve library wines, amazing stuff.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
winefarm wrote:Fence post, not so good. WD was out fixing it today. Then we enjoyed some yummy leftover tri-tip with some yummy leftover wine!!! Thanks, Wooters!

Also, I poured all the leftover wine into a crock with the mother of vinegar I saved. What should we call the vinegar? RPM's Swirl and Spit?

The tri-tip was terrific, it paired beautifully with the 2001 TC Merlot, everything was great!

Thanks again for your incredible hospitality!

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and I think zTimBz and rjquillin wanted this picture of a unique bottle opener at Hall.

rpm

bsevern wrote:Concannon was founded in 1883. Their Petite Sirah ages quite well too. I was in their wine club in the late 1990's - the early 2000's, and tasted through some of their 1980's and later reserve library wines, amazing stuff.

I came into a case of the 1974 PS back around 1992. It was beautiful drinking through the '90s and '00s. I have but one bottle left...

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

winefarm wrote:Fence post, not so good. WD was out fixing it today. Then we enjoyed some yummy leftover tri-tip with some yummy leftover wine!!! Thanks, Wooters!

Call it "Joe's Last Cuvee" - I'll tell you the story next time we see you!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:Now you just need to change that blank box to a colored box by buying something!!!

Absolutely no need for her to rush it. She knows this guy who already has a fair amount of wine.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

justplainjulie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages justplainjulie

We just wanted to throw in our thanks to RPM, woop, Winedavid, Winefarm, and everyone else who helped organize and make this trip possible. This was such a unique and educational trip and such a different experience than we've had just touring and tasting on our own. It was also great to meet our fellow tourists from all over the country. Hope we all get to do it again!

tzarinaz

justplainjulie wrote:We just wanted to throw in our thanks to RPM, woop, Winedavid, Winefarm, and everyone else who helped organize and make this trip possible. This was such a unique and educational trip and such a different experience than we've had just touring and tasting on our own. It was also great to meet our fellow tourists from all over the country. Hope we all get to do it again!

"Hope we all get to do it again!" Hear, hear!!!

tzarinaz

tenuki wrote:I was confused too

So sorry! I haven't met Sanity. Perhaps I SHOULD have said, "My bank account dictates prudence in regard to purchasing more wine at this time." Don't tell me we have a 'Prudence' on the boards, too!?! That would just be . . . wrong . . . for this particular group! :-p

tzarinaz

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh, and I think zTimBz and rjquillin wanted this picture of a unique bottle opener at Hall.

Oh, cool! How did I miss THAT?

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo

On my way back to the other coast, just wanted to extend a hearty thank you to RPM, Woop, the entire woot staff (with a special shout out to WD and WineFarm), and all of the welcoming wineries and winemakers we met during our visit!

My wine knowledge has improved immensely, but as it goes, the more I know, the more I know the less I know, so the wineducation continues. I look forward to the next tour in 2014 (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

For the record: total bottle count = 52 750mL, 1 magnum, and 2 jeroboams. I don't even want to think about how much that all cost, I know I went over budget, just still in denial.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I'd like to echo what's already been said here - a big THANK YOU to Woop, RPM, Neilfindswine, Winedavid, and Winefarm, and all the winemakers who were so generous with their time and hospitality.

I might be the only one, but I wish I'd bought MORE wine. I didn't keep track of what I was buying and it seemed like I bought a ton, but it came out to about two cases in the end.

MarkDaSpark

rpm wrote:I came into a case of the 1974 PS back around 1992. It was beautiful drinking through the '90s and '00s. I have but one bottle left...

You mean had ... as we type, PetiteSirah is assembling a team to break in and remove it from your high-tech security vault.

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Absolutely no need for her to rush it. She knows this guy who already has a fair amount of wine.

Well, there are the Woot Monkeys up in the Woot Plus deal ....

MarkDaSpark

tzarinaz wrote:Oh, cool! How did I miss THAT?

Too busy knocking us down to get to the wine?

It was in the last alcove on the left (opposite the pretty bright thing (artwork, I mean pretty bright artwork!) on the right before the (ooh, shiny!) Root Chandelier.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Sparky beat me to it. Glad everyone had fun. Maybe (doubtful) in 2014 I'll partake. There will be much less daycare and much more disposable income.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:Top 5 Wineries I spent the most at this trip

Mark - you and I must have similar palates.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...adding my own sentiments to the list. It was a treat to participate in my first RPM tour and meet so many Wooters face-to-face (everyone looks so different than their avatars.) I thoroughly enjoyed trading stories and discussing wine/food/life with you guys. This community is amazing.

Thanks to RPM/Woop for letting me join the Newbie tour, and of course thanks to WD for letting me play in the sandbox...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Neil - Get some of that Lucas J wine up! Or more R2! Find that wine!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo

This will be double posted in the Tour thread and the Appreciation thread.

I was asked by several of the first-timers how this whole tour thing got started.

Like most early wine.wooters, I came to wine.woot from the main woot board. Just like other stuff on the site, I started to read about and purchase offers based on the comments of those more knowledgeable on the threads. I did not know much about wine, or varietals, or vintages and so I tended to get what was inexpensive at my local store, as I wasn’t going to pay $30.00 a bottle on 750ml of wine that I may or may not enjoy any more than a $9.00 bottle of wine. I started purchasing regularly on wine.woot at the recommendation of folks who had knowledge, and for the regular participation of wine makers such as Peter Wellington, Scott Harvey, Ed at Pedroncelli, Cathy Corison, Ty Caton and really most of the other wine makers active on their deals. There was a community of folks who had some knowledge, and there were winemakers who were willing to answer questions about the offerings. And when I received the wines and tasted them, they really did appear to be a great value – so I kept purchasing.

I have a personal interest in history, and am fascinated by how industries develop in different places and I was always intrigued by RPM’s historical vignettes on the different areas of California wine country. So, on February 14, 2008 I posted this to the main thread for the deal that week.

“Though this is the likely the wrong forum, I propose that the WW folks (as in, us) sponsor a RPM hosted historical tour of CA wine country. We could mix in tastings, with visiting the towns that have been part of its history, with evening sessions on the history of where we would be visiting the next day. Perhaps 3 days. We, of course, would pay all of RPM's expenses for the trip. Perhaps we could also convince Peter and WD to join us. Maybe this fall?”

The response was quite positive and enthusiastic. I felt that if I was the one proposing it, I should be willing to make it happen. After all, I was really doing it for my own education.

Without ever having met any of the other wine.wooters, nor RPM or WD39, we started conversations about such a tour over the phone and email. Someone suggested we stay at the BW in Santa Rosa, so we got a block of rooms there. We started talking with various winemakers to see who would have an interest in hosting us. I wanted it to be as historical as possible and hopefully to begin to complete a picture of how the industry evolved. We had a focus on Zinfandel as it is really the grape of Sonoma and also of Napa.

For the first tours and subsequent tours we had a de facto division of responsibilities. RPM, having grown up in a wine making family, was the keeper of the historical flame with regard to wine making regions and AVA’s and wine makers that had some history to them. WD39 had most all of the connections to the wine makers and he had nurtured the relationships so that some number of them would see value in having a bunch of avowed discount shoppers visit them and expect the wine makers to spend 1 to 2 hours doing a deep dive through their operations and history, as well as their philosophy of wine making. I was responsible for nailing down the details, doing what I could to trim expenses, make sure we could get everywhere in a timely manner, getting us fed and ensuring all the facilities could accommodate our purposes. I also focus on the non-tasting side of things such as doing blending sessions, and field tours, the mechanics of wine making, and just the opportunity for folks to hang out and get to know each other. A prime focus is to make sure that we have the time at each venue to experience, absorb, and contemplate our visit without being rushed to our next venue. It never works perfectly, but I always want to respect the time and investment that the wine makers are making by being as close to on-time as is within reason.

Oh, and the weather – that is my responsibility too (unless it is not good).

Over the years, the tours have evolved, and I have put them together more for the community than myself – but since I am going, I like to make it interesting for me too.

The tour comes together much like a puzzle – you start with some pieces – not necessarily the corners – and you see what fits. Some pieces fit better in a different puzzle and you discard them. Most of the time you have a bunch of unconnected pieces and you need others to fit them into a cohesive whole. And, yes, there are times when you might push really hard to get some of them to fit.

It is the tour-ists that make the tour possible. Without the interest from the group, there would not be the opportunity for everyone to share the experience. We have always had great groups and even though many have never met before, we really have a fun time together.

Who else makes the tour possible? WineDavid39. It is a bunch of time and effort on his part in addition to his normal scramble to get us all the wine deals. He not only is relentless personally, but he corrals WineFarm, his brother and sister-in-law, his mother and stepfather, others at wine.woot, and who knows who else. Everything that happens at the reception events and the lab-ratting, and the wine makers BBQ are driven and orchestrated by WD39. WineFarm took on the BBQ and ran with it – about 80 people including many wine makers. George and Jan once again made sure we had great receptions with gourmet appetizers and plenty of wine. All that wine that was purchased has to be transported, re-packed, labeled and shipped to over 40 addresses – an incredible gift to the community and to the wineries from wine.woot. Drew, Neil, and the logistics folks are all on deck to make this a magical experience for the tour-ists.

A big shout-out to RPM for his interest, dedication, knowledge and especially for his continued friendship over these years of tours. I have learned much over the years, and continue to hone my palate based on the tools he provides. Many, many, thanks!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, there are the Woot Monkeys up in the Woot Plus deal ....

She knows this guy who already has a fair number of monkeys. Plus, she has the sock monkey, which I think was the coolest one.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

wkdpanda wrote:Neil - Get some of that Lucas J wine up! Or more R2! Find that wine!

...charging up the WineGPS now... I'm on it!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

MarkDaSpark

Oh, I created a thread to join all the RPM Tour threads (2008, 2010, & 2012) together. Let me know if I missed any important threads there.

Edit: And for those that can't figure it out from the sigs, back in 2008, some of us had different user names back then. Maybe a contest to post who was who back then?