joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

we leave the house tomorrow morning at 7 am, in roughly 12 hours. Time to start packing.

We get to SFO around 12:30 and are hitching a ride with justplainjulie. Hopefully that means we'll be at the hotel around 2:30.

Bringing a couple extra govinos is possible, though everyone talking about them is on the veteran tour and we're on the newbie.

Oh, and Tenuki, we'll be happy to take a bottle of balsamic if you have an extra.

I'm pretty sure that Sparky owes me a bottle from somewhere along the line, and PS does too... from like 3 years ago (or more).

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
winefarm wrote:Go Downtown and hang out in front of the Swiss Hotel. Hot Box Grill in Boyes Hot Springs is a good, but expensive dinner spot. Will need reservations. For cheaper fare head to Boyes hot Springs on Hiway 12 lots of good mexican food. But not at Amigas. I actually love the food at the Breakaway Cafe in the Strip Mall on highway 12 by Lucky's. It's an old Denny's, but the food is good, nice size portions and great murals by Dennis Ziemenski. I would join you, but we are exhausted from our efforts in kick ball today.

Thanks for the recommendations - I'm going to go meander. It was a long challenging day for me, too.

But at the end of it all, I'm still in SONOMA.

Life is good. :-)

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
kkv123 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations - I'm going to go meander. It was a long challenging day for me, too.

But at the end of it all, I'm still in SONOMA.

Life is good. :-)

My friend has a great cheese shop called the epicurean connection. Not sure if they are open this late. Also, love the peach jalapeno at EDK

kkv123

winefarm wrote:My friend has a great cheese shop called the epicurean connection. Not sure if they are open this late. Also, love the peach jalapeno at EDK

I am here right this very second! I meandered in on my own. Just the ticket. :-)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Getting myself relaxed and well grounded before the tour. Relaxing back with a plate of bread, cheese, and a sliced nectarine as well as a glass of Wellington cab to use as a baseline for the tour :-)

I look forward to seeing everyone!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

Just starting laundry.... Talk about procrastination.

Newbie question.... Should I pack some wine at all?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:we leave the house tomorrow morning at 7 am, in roughly 12 hours. Time to start packing.

We get to SFO around 12:30 and are hitching a ride with justplainjulie. Hopefully that means we'll be at the hotel around 2:30.

Bringing a couple extra govinos is possible, though everyone talking about them is on the veteran tour and we're on the newbie.

Oh, and Tenuki, we'll be happy to take a bottle of balsamic if you have an extra.

I'm pretty sure that Sparky owes me a bottle from somewhere along the line, and PS does too... from like 3 years ago (or more).

Perhaps. But then there is that matter of the $1,000 you owe me for services rendered.

I was asking about the Govino glasses, because the first tour we used plastic cups to rat the Brian Benson Syrah (which was way too cold) by the pool. Which didn't do it justice.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Itwdswafo wrote:Just starting laundry.... Talk about procrastination.

Newbie question.... Should I pack some wine at all?

Of course!!! Just plan on giving it to everyone you meet.

Believe me, there will be plenty of wine!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Getting it ready for you....

Almost ready for you....

But first, I have to deal with the aftermath of two days of reunioning.... where is Speedy Alkaseltzer when I need him to come marching around the hill to bring me plop! plop! fizz! fizz!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

We will be arriving at the hotel by 2:30 and we have a rental. Any suggestions on wineries to visit until the evening orientation?

Cesare

quality posts: 1695 Private Messages Cesare
jmdavidson wrote:We will be arriving at the hotel by 2:30 and we have a rental. Any suggestions on wineries to visit until the evening orientation?

Buena Vista

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rpm

Cesare wrote:Buena Vista

seconded. I think Roessler has a new tasting room around downtown as well.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
rpm wrote:seconded. I think Roessler has a new tasting room around downtown as well.

They do. However I discovered that they are not necessarily open at their posted hours so you should call ahead.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Unfortunately we missed our flight due to a huge logjam at the united airlines counter and will not get into San Fran until 730. We have a rental car but by the time we get to the Sonoma valley inn it will be after 9 pm. I am sick about this but nothing I can do about it.

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Leaving LAX for SFO. Thinking of a stop at Buena Vista around 2:30 if our travel partners are up to it.

rpm

chipgreen wrote:Unfortunately we missed our flight due to a huge logjam at the united airlines counter and will not get into San Fran until 730. We have a rental car but by the time we get to the Sonoma valley inn it will be after 9 pm. I am sick about this but nothing I can do about it.

I'm sorry you will miss the get together in larger part. Find me when you're checked in and I'll go over briefly what you've missed.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
rpm wrote:I'm sorry you will miss the get together in larger part. Find me when you're checked in and I'll go over briefly what you've missed.

Will do. Maybe u can text me where to meet you? Will pm my cell # very sorry for the inconvenience.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Leaving Berkeley to head up to Napa right now! Going to eat at Morimoto's. Any places we should check out there after lunch?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kkv123

chipgreen wrote:Unfortunately we missed our flight due to a huge logjam at the united airlines counter and will not get into San Fran until 730. We have a rental car but by the time we get to the Sonoma valley inn it will be after 9 pm. I am sick about this but nothing I can do about it.

I am so sorry - how very frustrating! But as I was reminded only yesterday, a flexible mindset and positive mental attitude are the most important things to pack on any trip.

So despite this little hiccup, everything will be OK. I promise. Take a deep breath and take your time. We will all greet you joyfully WHENEVER you arrive.

Safe journey!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

For anybody staying at the Sonoma Inn on the newbie tour that doesn't have a vehicle, can you register my vehicle under your room # when you check in? I'll be spending my nights at my house, but am worried about my car getting towed if I leave it at the hotel when we're on the bus for the day. PM me for the details, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo

If google maps is to be believed..... Our arrival at SVI will be around 7:30. Darn traffic... Will try and make as little stops as possible.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Arrived!

GPS is good, until you have two and they tell you different things...

CT

cmaldoon

I'll be at the hotel and checked in by 4 pm. What are folks doing about dinner? Before or after the 6pm intro?

On that note, is there a nice place for happy hour appetizers nearby? Perhaps even tapas?

My Cellar

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
cmaldoon wrote:I'll be at the hotel and checked in by 4 pm. What are folks doing about dinner? Before or after the 6pm intro?

On that note, is there a nice place for happy hour appetizers nearby? Perhaps even tapas?

Meritage...ledson hotel...edk...epicurean connection. Walk to the plaza, spin around blindfolded with your arm stretched out. Walk in direction you land. You will find a good restaurant. Just don't order cheese . Marys pizza has a great salad. Maybe a good cold soup at la salette. Sunflower cafe has pretty back garden.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
otolith wrote:Wife and I arrived well. Ate at Pier 39, the tourist trap in San Fran. Walked around a little, drove over a bridge (and back over), then drove over a really long double decker bridge, and checked into our hotel for the night. Now, SWMBO is taking a nap, and then we're going to Chez Panisse for dinner tonight.

Not a bad day.

How was Chez Panisse?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

What room are we meeting in? Downtown Sonoma seems much more quaint and cooler than Napa, on first blush.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
otolith wrote:What room are we meeting in? Downtown Sonoma seems much more quaint and cooler than Napa, on first blush.

Krug Center at the back of the property where all the parking spaces are.

kkv123

otolith wrote:What room are we meeting in? Downtown Sonoma seems much more quaint and cooler than Napa, on first blush.

The front desk told me we're in the Krug Event Center (building at the back of the parking lot) in room "C."

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
winefarm wrote:Meritage...ledson hotel...edk...epicurean connection. Walk to the plaza, spin around blindfolded with your arm stretched out. Walk in direction you land. You will find a good restaurant. Just don't order cheese . Marys pizza has a great salad. Maybe a good cold soup at la salette. Sunflower cafe has pretty back garden.

I can second sunflower cafe.
Awesome back patio and equally good food. I've eaten there a couple times and have not been disappointed.

CT

otolith

Got it!

--John Muir

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Got it!

Milk?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker

Life has just been way too busy lately so this year's tour wasn't in the cards for me but my CoffeeMate is intrigued after all the stories the wooters shared with her at T-Byrd's last night. She's in if we ever do another tour.

RPM...I'm looking at you here.

Everyone have a blast, spit a lot, lurn stuff, and darn the liver, full speed ahead!!!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
javadrinker wrote:
Everyone have a blast, spit a lot, lurn stuff, and darn the liver, full speed ahead!!!!!

No spitting going on tonight at the welcome get together, just drinkin', and eatin'. Why didn't I take pics of the before and after. I'm a newbie, still in training, it'll get better, I hope.

Great meeting you and Coffee-Mate last night. Enjoy your spoils of the evening and fall the best.

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

otolith

klezman wrote:How was Chez Panisse?

A unique, interesting restaurant! The food was fresh and delicious. One of the better places I've eaten at in a long time.

--John Muir

rpm

javadrinker wrote:Life has just been way too busy lately so this year's tour wasn't in the cards for me but my CoffeeMate is intrigued after all the stories the wooters shared with her at T-Byrd's last night. She's in if we ever do another tour.

RPM...I'm looking at you here.

As my Mother used to say, "we'll see....."

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cmaldoon

Just leaving st. Supery.

We tasted a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, malbec, Cabernet, and Rutherford merlot.

We also got a wlk through the vineyard while our guide told us about vine management and soils, Lots about soils.

Onward to Corison

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cmaldoon wrote:Just leaving st. Supery.

We tasted a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, malbec, Cabernet, and Rutherford merlot.

We also got a wlk through the vineyard while our guide told us about vine management and soils, Lots about soils.

Onward to Corison

Keep the updates coming!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes
North316 wrote:Keep the updates coming!

Yes, please!!! I need to live vicariously through y'all!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson