MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:He may, if he's not already well into wine. I wouldn't begrudge him a cigar, but I'd rather he not be sick all night.

But it was so much fun the first time at PetiteSirah's!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
CAGrl wrote:Well, it's not special events going on. It's the fact that I live between Tahoe and the bay area. So there's usually a fair amount of traffic heading west on Sundays. People leaving Tahoe and going back to the bay area.

Interesting...I guess I'll be facing some of the same, coming from Reno. I'll probably just leave early. It will be good to get settled in a little ahead of time anyway.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
rpm wrote:Patience, grasshopper....

I'm hoping to have information on the veteran tour as soon as possible because we'll be visiting on our own on Tuesday and don't want to hit a duplicate spot, and some of the places we might like to go appreciate advance notice.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

T minus four days...looking forward to this excursion!

Is that tour schedule getting close?

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
bsevern wrote:T minus four days...looking forward to this excursion!

Is that tour schedule getting close?

We're very close. Not sure if we'll release the Tour 1 itinerary separately first, or both at the same time.

Possibly tomorrow.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

rpm wrote:We're very close. Not sure if we'll release the Tour 1 itinerary separately first, or both at the same time.

Possibly tomorrow.

Oh heavens! Tomorrow? But I have to wash my hair! And get some new designer clothes. Heavens to betsy, tomorrow?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh heavens! Tomorrow? But I have to wash my hair!

Wish I could use that one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

And I suppose I should bring up the PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron that I forgot to bring in May to Vegas. Although she still hasn't paid me for it.

Anyone else I'm supposed to bring something up for? Besides Tiger's Pub wine for Cheron to haul back?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
MarkDaSpark wrote:And I suppose I should bring up the PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron that I forgot to bring in May to Vegas. Although she still hasn't paid me for it.

Anyone else I'm supposed to bring something up for? Besides Tiger's Pub wine for Cheron to haul back?

Seems like you were going to bring me something

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Anyone else I'm supposed to bring something up for? Besides Tiger's Pub wine for Cheron to haul back?

Do you or Cheron have a suitable shipping box lined up for that? I can't remember if that ever got resolved. If not, I could bring one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MarkDaSpark

bsevern wrote:Seems like you were going to bring me something

Yeah, I got something for you.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Do you or Cheron have a suitable shipping box lined up for that? I can't remember if that ever got resolved. If not, I could bring one.

No, I've got it covered. I'm sure I have a wine shipping box somewhere around here.

Edit: And didn't someone have a Woot Sock Monkey for me???

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
rjquillin wrote:I've heard a rumor we may merge winery paths for the last tasting location for day-3/day-1..

[edit: cleaned up verbiage]

Just a reminder, I'm picking up 3 F bombs from you, probably Wednesday night? Do you want me to paypal you or pay you then or and how much?

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:No, I've got it covered. I'm sure I have a wine shipping box somewhere around here.

Edit: And didn't someone have a Woot Sock Monkey for me???

Now this is where the stupid "Troubles" really suck: trying to figure out if you actually bought something. Then, you go to click on the item (because the picture is too small) and you get sent back to page 1!

Edit: Cleaned up and sent to Beta Feedback.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

I know I owe some folks some goods as well, and cold use help remembering what/who.

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:And I suppose I should bring up the PS Chocolate Syrup for Cheron that I forgot to bring in May to Vegas. Although she still hasn't paid me for it.

You have yet to tell me how much I owe you for it

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:Seems like you were going to bring me something

Don't I owe you something too..?

CT

rjquillin

tenuki wrote:Just a reminder, I'm picking up 3 F bombs from you, probably Wednesday night? Do you want me to paypal you or pay you then or and how much?

Will do. Got 'em entered @ $11, but open to trades as well. Wednesday is fine, or Thursday, or Friday.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:You have yet to tell me how much I owe you for it

This much!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rjquillin

JOATMON wrote:

That's just, well, geeky; love it!

CT

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
rjquillin wrote:Will do. Got 'em entered @ $11, but open to trades as well. Wednesday is fine, or Thursday, or Friday.

My CT's horribly out of date, anything you're looking for or what varietals?

CT

rpm

OK, Newbie Tourists:

Here is the general itinerary:

Sunday, July 22
6 pm Reception and Get Together at Sonoma Valley Inn.

Monday, July 23
St. Supery
Corison - Lunch
Laura Zahtila
Wm. Harrison
Scott Harvey - Dinner

Tuesday, July 24
Foppiano
Pedroncelli - Lunch
Dry Creek
Iron Horse - appetizers
Sonoma Farmers Market
Lab Rattery
Dinner on your own.

Wednesday, July 25
Wellington
Kunde - Lunch
Gundlach Bundschu
Robert Craig
Joint Farewell Gala BBQ at Studdert Ranch

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rpm wrote:OK, Newbie Tourists:

Here is the general itinerary:

I've added all these details to the GoogleDoc. When the veteran itinerary comes out, I'll do the same.

rpm/woop, feel free to add any additional specifics or times if you feel like it on the document. But what I have on there should suffice.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:This much!

har har.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rpm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I've added all these details to the GoogleDoc. When the veteran itinerary comes out, I'll do the same.

rpm/woop, feel free to add any additional specifics or times if you feel like it on the document. But what I have on there should suffice.

not doing specific times on the itinerary....

BTW, I don't have the Newbie google doc....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rpm wrote:not doing specific times on the itinerary....

BTW, I don't have the Newbie google doc....

It's the same doc. Just two tabs of the same spreadsheet. On the bottom of the screen you'll see a tab to click on for the newbie tour.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rpm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:It's the same doc. Just two tabs of the same spreadsheet. On the bottom of the screen you'll see a tab to click on for the newbie tour.

face meet palm

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
rpm wrote:face meet palm

Here you go ;)

I'm just hanging out, really.

rpm

There will be overlap in the wineries from Tour 1 and Tour 2. Lest you have concerns (especially for those few who are overlapping), we are working with the wineries to significantly differentiate the two (as we have discussed here before). To that end, we have provided the wineries with extensive guidance in the form of a 3 page (1800+ word) memo on our interests and expectations.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:har har.

It could have been a free cat!

It WAS the last one!!!

ddeuddeg

rpm wrote:...Lab Rattery...

Looks like a terrific trip. I hope that the Lab Rattery listed here will not be the one and only way there will be a lab rat program. Wondering if the other tourists will see such an item on Tour 2. Just wondering, not being impatient or anything like that.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Question for past tourists:
Regarding:
Tuesday, July 24
Iron Horse - appetizers
Sonoma Farmers Market
Lab Rattery
Dinner on your own.
From your experience, do you usually have room for dinner after appetizers and a visit to the Market? A family member wants to meet us for dinner, but I wonder if we will even have an appetite for dinner.

ddeuddeg

jmdavidson wrote:Question for past tourists:
Regarding:
Tuesday, July 24
Iron Horse - appetizers
Sonoma Farmers Market
Lab Rattery
Dinner on your own.
From your experience, do you usually have room for dinner after appetizers and a visit to the Market? A family member wants to meet us for dinner, but I wonder if we will even have an appetite for dinner.

Appetizers were scrumptious, but not very filling. Whether you'll be able to get enough to satisfy your needs at the Market depends on your own personal tastes. My wife and I wound up wanting something more, but others did not. And you're not forced to go there, or buy anything at all. It's a short walk from the hotel. I'd definitely urge you to go there, at least to walk through, especially if you're from a totally different area, as we are. However, the itinerary mentions Lab Rattery following the Market, so you'd probably want to enquire about that before committing yourself to other plans. My 2¢.

rpm

ddeuddeg wrote:Looks like a terrific trip. I hope that the Lab Rattery listed here will not be the one and only way there will be a lab rat program. Wondering if the other tourists will see such an item on Tour 2. Just wondering, not being impatient or anything like that.

The Lab Rattery will be casual. It is essentially a joint affair after Tour 1 gets back from Iron Horse and Tour 2 finishes it's 7-8 pm Get Together (can't start 'til I get back from Iron Horse with the Tourists....

You can eat ahead of time (if you're Tour 2) or any time after you get back from Iron Horse(if you're still hungry after Iron Horse's appetizers - some people ate, others didn't)

Rather than strictly organized, it will be a drop in affair, but you will have to provide notes on anything you taste among the Ratted wines.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

ddeuddeg wrote:Appetizers were scrumptious, but not very filling. Whether you'll be able to get enough to satisfy your needs at the Market depends on your own personal tastes. My wife and I wound up wanting something more, but others did not. And you're not forced to go there, or buy anything at all. It's a short walk from the hotel. I'd definitely urge you to go there, at least to walk through, especially if you're from a totally different area, as we are. However, the itinerary mentions Lab Rattery following the Market, so you'd probably want to enquire about that before committing yourself to other plans. My 2¢.

What he said. When you get back from Iron Horse (maybe around 7), you're free to do as you please.

It's an hour from Iron Horse back to Sonoma, so it's not as if you won't have a little time for your appetite to reassert itself....

We recommend (and previous Tourists have enjoyed!) visiting the Farmer's Market in Sonoma Plaza a couple of blocks away. You could get food there, if you're not particularly hungry, or you could eat at a restaurant around the Plaza - probably not both if you want to do a lot of ratting.

If you had people meeting you, I would not recommend reservations earlier than 7:30 pm (8 safer) to allow time to get back and freshen up, and stroll to your location through the market. You could eat light while they tuck in, if you're not that hungry. Plenty of good restaurants around the Plaza.

I, of course, will be moving straightaway to the Tour 2 Reception Get Together.... no rest for the wicked.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

rpm wrote:The Lab Rattery will be casual. It is essentially a joint affair after Tour 1 gets back from Iron Horse and Tour 2 finishes it's 7-8 pm Get Together (can't start 'til I get back from Iron Horse with the Tourists....

For the new tourists, will there be a "how to" session regarding tasting and ratting?

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:For the new tourists, will there be a "how to" session regarding tasting and ratting?

Good question. I'm concerned about this swishing and spitting business. I'm afraid I will embarrass myself and make a mess. I should practice in the privacy of my home this weekend. And buy some black clothes.

rpm

rjquillin wrote:For the new tourists, will there be a "how to" session regarding tasting and ratting?

The Newbies Get Together agenda will include:
1) some historical background and an outline of our plans
2) tasting ettiquette generally
3) how to taste with 'swish & spit'
4) note-taking and using the Wine Aroma Wheel which you will be issued.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!