rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
bahwm wrote:If you want to do this, you better do it while you still can. There was indication that there might not be another tour.

Although one cannot predict the future, the likelihood of future tours is low.

Wine.woot is evolving significantly and the community camaraderie aspect that has been so crucial in the origin and sustaining of the tours seems to be changing as well.

The future of the community we have all had a hand in building with Winedavid39 and his many wine friends like Peter W and Kent R and Scott H, is something all of us Tourists may want to talk about during the Tours.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

rjquillin wrote:Still hoping to do both...

Here is the problem: you cannot be two places at once. Wednesday is the overlap day. You would have to miss the third day of Tour 1 or the first day of Tour 2.

Neither makes much sense: Tour 1's day 3 is in Sonoma and will include Wellington. Tour 2's day 1 is in Napa. Some of the wineries Tour 2 will visit overlap what you did on Tour 1, but with a different and more intensely Cabernet focus.

I would not want anyone to miss the Sonoma Day of Tour 1; and I think Day 1 of Tour 2 is mission critical.

This is unfortunate, but it's just how it worked out when we were forced (over my protests) into doing both Tours in 1 week.

Given the very small size of Tour 2, however, subject to (1) woopdedoo's approval and nonappealable decision on the financial aspects, and (2) "satisfaction of the instructor" during the first day of Tour 1, I would be willing to let you switch from Tour 1 to Tour 2 beginning Wednesday.

I know that's not terribly fair, but there have been Tourists in the past who were perfectly fine four Tour 1, but who would not have worked out well in a Tour 2.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
rpm wrote:Here is the problem:

Something else to think of, while I absolutely loved both tours, by the end of the third day many were 'done'. Being on a bus all day for 3 days and tasting a huge amount of wine, while all wonderful things, fatigues you and I couldn't imagine adding 2 more days of touring. Just something else to consider so someone doesn't end up having a less than amazing experience. I do however recommend exploring on your own after the tour, especially if you haven't been in the area before. IMHO

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

It seems so wrong, but I am just as eagerly anticipating the itinerary as the people going on the trip. I have been following this closely and wishing I had been able to participate.

I know RPM has said that this may be the last tour, I am still holding out hope that that is not the case, as I would absolutely love the opportunity to do this in the future. I know, as stated above, that the general feeling of the community has changed, however, many of the components (the people!) have stayed the same and still share the same passion for wine and for the thirst for knowledge.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Well if kkv is indeed able to attend and she's going by herself (which last I saw was the case), then you might be able to room with her.

Unfortunately, I do not have two beds during my entire stay.

Hoping that I would be permitted to merge with Tour 2, thus lengthening my stay, I altered my reservation to switch to a (cheaper) rate/room early in the week.

I was not given clearance to join Tour 2 so I have cancelled the extra days at the hotel and will spend the remainder of the week tasting wine with wine.wooters from San Francisco. While they cannot match the expertise and experience of the incomparable RPM (who could!?), they visit Napa/Sonoma often and have an amazing cellar, so I'm sure I'm in good hands.

But the reservation with the room switch remains, so I will have only one bed for half the trip. Sorry!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
kkv123 wrote:Unfortunately, I do not have two beds during my entire stay.

Hoping that I would be permitted to merge with Tour 2, thus lengthening my stay, I altered my reservation to switch to a (cheaper) rate/room early in the week.

I was not given clearance to join Tour 2 so I have cancelled the extra days at the hotel and will spend the remainder of the week tasting wine with wine.wooters from San Francisco. While they cannot match the expertise and experience of the incomparable RPM (who could!?), they visit Napa/Sonoma often and have an amazing cellar, so I'm sure I'm in good hands.

But the reservation with the room switch remains, so I will have only one bed for half the trip. Sorry!

It's okay. It's such a last minute decision. So anybody else have a room to split?

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman

I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope I can take the 3 days off and make the financial aspect make sense, but that's low probability. However, I am going to be in SF the entire week of both Tours and would love to host/facilitate a gathering in the city before or after. I'm also hoping that with rpm's permission I will join up for a day or for the crossover party with both tours. Maybe even with my +1!

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope I can take the 3 days off and make the financial aspect make sense, but that's low probability. However, I am going to be in SF the entire week of both Tours and would love to host/facilitate a gathering in the city before or after. I'm also hoping that with rpm's permission I will join up for a day or for the crossover party with both tours. Maybe even with my +1!

I'm almost certainly up for a gathering and may have to bring either my 87 or 91 corison out for it. Make a gathering thread, or Hijack one.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rpm

klezman wrote:I'm still holding out a tiny bit of hope I can take the 3 days off and make the financial aspect make sense, but that's low probability. However, I am going to be in SF the entire week of both Tours and would love to host/facilitate a gathering in the city before or after. I'm also hoping that with rpm's permission I will join up for a day or for the crossover party with both tours. Maybe even with my +1!

We would love to have you (and +1) on the whole Tour Wed-Fri if possible.

Joining for a day would also be possible as a vet - but you have to coordinate with Woopdedoo on costs.

Wed night at WineFarm's for dinner? again, check with woopdedoo.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
rpm wrote:Wed night at WineFarm's for dinner? again, check with woopdedoo.

I am also interested in this, but I seem to have lost the ability to initiate a private message. Whatever happened to the cute little envelope next to our user name?!? Sometimes it's there, mostly it is not. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

woopdedo, if you're listening... I am interested and would love to know how much I can pitch in. Thanks

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mewalk707 wrote:I am also interested in this, but I seem to have lost the ability to initiate a private message. Whatever happened to the cute little envelope next to our user name?!? Sometimes it's there, mostly it is not. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

woopdedo, if you're listening... I am interested and would love to know how much I can pitch in. Thanks

If you still use Internet Explorer then yes, you are doing something wrong.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rpm

mewalk707 wrote:I am also interested in this, but I seem to have lost the ability to initiate a private message. Whatever happened to the cute little envelope next to our user name?!? Sometimes it's there, mostly it is not. Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

we'd love to have you, but you gotta pm woopdedoo or me with your real e-mail try me at catorenasci at gmail .com

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

OK - Here are the numbers.

TOUR 1 - $560.00 Total

TOUR 2 - $685.00 Total

Included:

Bus
4 (-ish) wineries per day
Lunch and Dinner (at wineries) all tour days (tour 1 will be heavy appetizers on Tuesday)
Party at WD39 on Wednesday evening

Final schedule to follow

Send Money!

Thanks.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
woopdedoo wrote:

TOUR 1 - $560.00 Total

Send Money!

Thanks.

Wow, $90/person under budget. That's Fantastic. An extra $180 to spend on wine while we're there!

Do you want Paypal monies now or check monies on the tour?

And just to be sure... That would be (560-250)*2 = $620 That I owe?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
woopdedoo wrote:OK - Here are the numbers.

TOUR 1 - $560.00 Total

TOUR 2 - $685.00 Total

Included:

Bus
Lunch and Dinner (at wineries) all tour days (tour 1 will be heavy appetizers on Tuesday)

Final schedule to follow

Send Money!

Thanks.

Well....it's the cart before the horse, but it's something

Woopdedoo, aside from lodging, once we're squared up with you, the only expense left is how much wine we can cart home?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

TOUR 1 - $560.00 Total

TOUR 2 - $685.00 Total

This is including the deposits already sent, correct? So we would just have to send the balance? Or is this in addition to the deposits?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cmaldoon wrote:Wow, $90/person under budget. That's Fantastic. An extra $180 to spend on wine while we're there!

A bit over budget for our tour, but that was to be expected with the drastically decreased number of attendees from what was expected. Not as many people to spread the cost of the bus across.

bsevern wrote:Woopdedoo, aside from lodging, once we're squared up with you, the only expense left is how much wine we can cart home?

Yeah, that's what it is. There's no other costs besides the things you buy. You're also on your own for the Tuesday night "dinner" in the Farmer's Market.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

TOUR 1 - $560.00 Total

TOUR 2 - $685.00 Total

Included:

Bus

Final schedule to follow

Send Money!

Thanks.

Woop, email for you...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

bsevern wrote:Woopdedoo, aside from lodging, once we're squared up with you, the only expense left is how much wine we can cart home?

Speaking of wine carting, will WD have his shipping offer still available for tourists?

I don't need it; I'm driving. But others might.

(as of 2011-03-02)

woopdedoo

So ...

Yes - those numbers are the totals - please just remit the balance.

and ..

wine.woot is shipping all the wine you purchase for freeeeeee!

As you can imagine, this is quite the gift.

JOATMON wrote:Speaking of wine carting, will WD have his shipping offer still available for tourists?

I don't need it; I'm driving. But others might.

woopdedoo

Yes - and WD39 will ship your wine purchases home for free.

bsevern wrote:Well....it's the

cart before the horse, but it's something

Woopdedoo, aside from lodging, once we're squared up with you, the only expense left is how much wine we can cart home?

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
rpm wrote:we'd love to have you, but you gotta pm woopdedoo or me with your real e-mail try me at catorenasci at gmail .com

You have mail. Thanks so much!

And yes, North... I still have IE. At work anyway. Thanks for the explanation.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
woopdedoo wrote:Yes - and WD39 will ship your wine purchases home for free.

Wow, that's fantastic! ... and dangerous

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

klezman

quality posts: 131 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:We would love to have you (and +1) on the whole Tour Wed-Fri if possible.

Joining for a day would also be possible as a vet - but you have to coordinate with Woopdedoo on costs.

Wed night at WineFarm's for dinner? again, check with woopdedoo.

Consulting with molarchae on logistics and trying to prognosticate workload wrt client deliverables that week. I'll sort it out asap. Already been in touch with woop, too. 95%+ that we'll both be there for the Wednesday dinner - it's the rest of the day that's still giving pause.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
cmaldoon wrote:Wow, $90/person under budget. That's Fantastic. An extra $180 to spend on wine while we're there!

Do you want Paypal monies now or check monies on the tour?

And just to be sure... That would be (560-250)*2 = $620 That I owe?

Fantastic news. What is the drop dead date for final payment? I know it's only a difference of a few days at this point, since you'll want before the tour, but credit card cycles and such...

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
joelsisk wrote:Fantastic news. What is the drop dead date for final payment? I know it's only a difference of a few days at this point, since you'll want before the tour, but credit card cycles and such...

I do not work for paypal...so with that said...It is very easy to send money that way. All you need is an email address. Check the personal, then gift boxes and there is no fee.

CAGrl

woopdedoo wrote:So ...

Yes - those numbers are the totals - please just remit the balance.

and ..

Did you want us to mail you the balance or? I'm still not 100% sure unfortunately.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
jmdavidson wrote:I do not work for paypal...so with that said...It is very easy to send money that way. All you need is an email address. Check the personal, then gift boxes and there is no fee.

Yeah, that isn't my issue... cash flow is

But thanks for the info!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
CAGrl wrote:Did you want us to mail you the balance or? I'm still not 100% sure unfortunately.

You really do want to make sure you're going before you pay any more than you already have. I, for one, am still hoping to see you.
BTW, did I send a bottle of Gewürztraminer your way last January, or am I supposed to bring it next week? I think I sent one with ajrod27 when he was here tasting icewine.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

That's terrific, mucho gracious WD39, woopdedoo and RPM!

CAGrl

ddeuddeg wrote:You really do want to make sure you're going before you pay any more than you already have. I, for one, am still hoping to see you.
BTW, did I send a bottle of Gewürztraminer your way last January, or am I supposed to bring it next week? I think I sent one with ajrod27 when he was here tasting icewine.

Yup. Got it from him during D&D I believe. Haven't tried it yet. I really really want to go especially since this might be the last one. It's just hard to talk hubby and in-laws that this is a good idea. At least I have a room booked for now (unfortunately 1 bed though).

I do have your case of vegas wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
CAGrl wrote:Yup. Got it from him during D&D I believe. Haven't tried it yet. I really really want to go especially since this might be the last one. It's just hard to talk hubby and in-laws that this is a good idea. At least I have a room booked for now (unfortunately 1 bed though).

I do have your case of vegas wine.

We'll get that somehow. Don't worry about it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Really?!?

AWESOME!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

woop, payment has been sent for myself and HAK.

Thank you for all your hard work in this - it's feeling really real now with being so close and being all paid up

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

JOATMON

(as of 2011-03-02)

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

My vacation *finally* got approved. I'll send in the money as soon as I can figure out some way to get a room...

Sparky, what day are you heading back? (Is there enough space to put a sleeping bag in your car?)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo
woopdedoo wrote:

That is sooo dangerous.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zTimothyBz wrote:My vacation *finally* got approved. I'll send in the money as soon as I can figure out some way to get a room...

Sparky, what day are you heading back? (Is there enough space to put a sleeping bag in your car?)

Saturday, since Friday night is the partay! And maybe room, but haven't had to do that yet. But the front seats do recline.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219
rpm wrote:Although one cannot predict the future, the likelihood of future tours is low.

Wine.woot is evolving significantly and the community camaraderie aspect that has been so crucial in the origin and sustaining of the tours seems to be changing as well.

The future of the community we have all had a hand in building with Winedavid39 and his many wine friends like Peter W and Kent R and Scott H, is something all of us Tourists may want to talk about during the Tours.

I hope that isn't true! 19 and I were already talking about the 2014 tour. This is our last baby, so we will be there with bells on if you do one. We still have such fond memories of 2008.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
zTimothyBz wrote:My vacation *finally* got approved. I'll send in the money as soon as I can figure out some way to get a room...

PM for ya.

CT