rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

A clarification: somewhere upthread, there was some discussion of a joint gathering of the Tour 1 and Tour 2 Tourists for dinner on Tuesday.

For a number of reasons, that did not turn out to be a workable idea, and the joint dinner will now be on Wednesday - it will be the farewell dinner for Tour 1 and the Day 1 dinner for Tour 2.

Tuesday (as prior Tourists will recall) is the day of the Farmers' Market in the Sonoma Plaza a couple of blocks from the hotel.

In the past, we have had that as "free night" after Iron Horse -- that way one could wander (or not) and sample the wares. It's festive and has been enjoyed by everyone.

That also gives us the opportunity to have a 'pre-Tour' gathering for Tour 2 Tuesday night to get everyone oriented and ready to go on Wednesday.

As soon as possible we will be finalizing arrangements and further information will be posted.

I am still struggling with the notion of combiners or switches from Tour 1 to Tour 2. I will decide this week.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Southwest airfares are down again--just a bit--saving us "$9.00 each". Actually, more points than that.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bahwm wrote:Southwest airfares are down again--just a bit--saving us "$9.00 each". Actually, more points than that.

I must have booked all of my upcoming trips (Detroit in a few weeks, then rpm tour) during super sales, since all the rates for my flights are still higher than I originally paid. I've checked a handful of times over the past couple months, and have yet to see them ever come close to what I got them for originally. Heh.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I must have booked all of my upcoming trips (Detroit in a few weeks, then rpm tour) during super sales, since all the rates for my flights are still higher than I originally paid. I've checked a handful of times over the past couple months, and have yet to see them ever come close to what I got them for originally. Heh.

Good for you! We got so tied up with so many things that I couldn't do the booking earlier. We are flying using points so that makes it easier, but I like to be able to save as many of them as I can to save for future travel.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

HitAnyKey42

bahwm wrote:Good for you! We got so tied up with so many things that I couldn't do the booking earlier. We are flying using points so that makes it easier, but I like to be able to save as many of them as I can to save for future travel.

Yeah, I was able to use points for this flight as well. Was able to do it for 12540 points each way back in mid-Feb. And that was already a re-booking at that time to lower the point cost.

And I'm already up to enough points for another free one-way flight. Using the SWA Visa really racks up the points quick.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, I was able to use points for this flight as well. Was able to do it for 12540 points each way back in mid-Feb. And that was already a re-booking at that time to lower the point cost.

And I'm already up to enough points for another free one-way flight. Using the SWA Visa really racks up the points quick.

Oooo, thanks for sharing. This re-book was for 13,500 pts home. But, we were able to book a flight to my cousin's in Ontario, CA using the old Award Program. ddeuddeg had enough credits available that we had to supplement a little and are both flying out for free. Then, the flight up to San Jose is only $75 or whatever that equates to in points. We decided to go with using the points. The killer is the car rental this year! Yikes! And we both have enough points to do a round trip to Cali in the fall or perhaps out to Vegas in Oct for the crush or whatever is being talked about these days!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

Hi! Just wanted to say that I am started to get excited about the trip and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

That is all.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

HitAnyKey42

kttest wrote:Hi! Just wanted to say that I am started to get excited about the trip and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

That is all.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
HitAnyKey42 wrote: so if you don't get an invite to the document by tonight, feel free to toss me a PM tomorrow with your email address so I can send you an invite for it.

Sent you a PM awhile ago, but haven't heard anything. Did you get it?

HitAnyKey42

Itwdswafo wrote:Sent you a PM awhile ago, but haven't heard anything. Did you get it?

That's weird. I somehow missed yours, but saw them from everyone else. You've now been added to the GoogleDoc.
Btw, does anyone know if there's a way for people to use the GoogleDoc spreadsheet without using a Gmail account? Or do you need to actually have a gmail account?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:That's weird. I somehow missed yours, but saw them from everyone else. You've now been added to the GoogleDoc.
Btw, does anyone know if there's a way for people to use the GoogleDoc spreadsheet without using a Gmail account? Or do you need to actually have a gmail account?

I think you need a Gmail account, but it's free! Plus, one wouldn't need to use it much after the tour!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

5 weeks and counting. When will the final payments be due?

HitAnyKey42

jmdavidson wrote:5 weeks and counting. When will the final payments be due?

And more importantly, do we have any idea what the final payment will be?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Is the reception on Sunday night considered a must attend sort of event? I'm not sure I'll be able to get up to the hotel until pretty late that evening. Still putting my travel schedule together.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rpm

redwinefan wrote:Is the reception on Sunday night considered a must attend sort of event? I'm not sure I'll be able to get up to the hotel until pretty late that evening. Still putting my travel schedule together.

Yes, it's important -- not only for the opportunity to meet your fellow Tourists and drink some wine -- but because for at least a few minutes we talk about what were going to be doing, and about tasting, learning how to taste and ways to think about what you'll be doing for the next 3 days.

Veterans can chime in to the extent they found it valuable (or not).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Cesare

quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare
redwinefan wrote:Is the reception on Sunday night considered a must attend sort of event? I'm not sure I'll be able to get up to the hotel until pretty late that evening. Still putting my travel schedule together.

It's not mandatory I guess but you probably don't want to miss it. You will want to meet everyone before the tour starts especially because your are new. You will also get to meet and talk to WD and other staff and possibly some winemakers and also drink some wines, some of which might be future offers. And as rpm said, there will be some instruction and educational type of information.
I'm sorry I have to miss it! (But will be at the Tues night gathering)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kttest

rpm wrote:

I don't think anyone should miss the pre-tour get together, especially the newbies. It's a nice introduction to the tour itself where the ground rules, per se, are laid down and you get a chance to meet the others you will be spending lots of time with. I mean how else will you know who to sit next to on the bus?!

- Krista

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
rpm wrote:Yes, it's important -- not only for the opportunity to meet your fellow Tourists and drink some wine -- but because for at least a few minutes we talk about what were going to be doing, and about tasting, learning how to taste and ways to think about what you'll be doing for the next 3 days.

What time would said meeting take place?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

Cesare

quality posts: 1613 Private Messages Cesare
otolith wrote:What time would said meeting take place?

Last time is was 6-9pm.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
kttest wrote:I don't think anyone should miss the pre-tour get together, especially the newbies. It's a nice introduction to the tour itself where the ground rules, per se, are laid down and you get a chance to meet the others you will be spending lots of time with. I mean how else will you know who to sit next to on the bus?!

Of course we'll be missed at the pre-gathering, and the bus seating...but this is important...especially for newbies. It is your first glimpse of your woot friends. We were taken aback with the class, poise and kinship we felt at the pre-tour get together. and, not to be too crass, but the wine was to die for!
I will miss you all terribly.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

HitAnyKey42

gregorylane wrote:Of course we'll be missed at the pre-gathering, and the bus seating...but this is important...especially for newbies. It is your first glimpse of your woot friends. We were taken aback with the class, poise and kinship we felt at the pre-tour get together. and, not to be too crass, but the wine was to die for!
I will miss you all terribly.

Wait....where was this class and poise? Oh, I guess if I wasn't looking in the mirror I would have seen some of it.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

bahwm

rpm wrote:Yes, it's important -- not only for the opportunity to meet your fellow Tourists and drink some wine -- but because for at least a few minutes we talk about what were going to be doing, and about tasting, learning how to taste and ways to think about what you'll be doing for the next 3 days.

I've found it VERY helpful--especially for the first tour. I had to ask rpm how to do the "swish and spit". I had no idea! Now, I explain the how to, to others. If you're not familiar with the procedure or if you just happen to walk in during the middle of the conversation, it can be rather amusing! It is an extremely important part of the process--especially when you can be tasting between 20 - 30 wines BEFORE noon. You want to be able to discern the various nuances in each wine. If your palate is fried, you don't have a chance!

Also, this is when you get all of the details of the tour and expectations. Plus, you get a chance to mingle. It is a nice opportunity to get to know other touristas, including WD and other staff members who may show up, also, some of our winemaker friends. You never know who will pop in and when!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Thanks for the feedback on the Sunday gathering. I'll definitely make plans to attend.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

otolith

Are there plans for Wed evening festivities? Trying to decide if we should fly out Wed night or Thursday am.
Thanks!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:Are there plans for Wed evening festivities? Trying to decide if we should fly out Wed night or Thursday am.
Thanks!

Wednesday evening is the joint Farewell/Welcome Dinner for all Touristas. Farewell for Rookie Tour and Welcome for the Veterans.

So you should fly out Wed night.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:

SPARKY!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:SPARKY!

But MOMMMMMM!!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MarkDaSpark wrote:But MOMMMMMM!!!!

I ain't got nothing to do with this!

rpm

otolith wrote:Are there plans for Wed evening festivities? Trying to decide if we should fly out Wed night or Thursday am.
Thanks!

If you fly out Wednesday night - even on a red eye, you will probably miss the Combined Tours dinner which will be a fabulous BBQ at an undisclosed location in Sonoma Valley at the ranch of Winefarm and an unnamed international man of mystery, along with guests and friends.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

MarkDaSpark wrote:Wednesday evening is the joint Farewell/Welcome Dinner for all Touristas. Farewell for Rookie Tour and Welcome for the Veterans.

It's not exactly the 'welcome' for the Vets - they will have finished their first day. The Vets will have their welcome pre-tour gathering on Tuesday night, while the Newbies will be enjoying the Sonoma Plaza Farmers' Market after a must-do final tour stop of the day that puts everyone in a happy happy mood.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
rpm wrote:undisclosed

You tease!!!

bahwm

Itwdswafo wrote:You tease!!!

I think I know! Sounds awesome!

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

I suppose it is necessary to disclose that I (and MichelleShari) need vegetarian options... we eat eggs, dairy, and fish (no shellfish). I assume that is not a problem, but feel that advance disclosure is appropriate.

Looking forward to it!

otolith

rpm wrote:If you fly out Wednesday night - even on a red eye, you will probably miss the Combined Tours dinner which will be a fabulous BBQ at an undisclosed location in Sonoma Valley at the ranch of Winefarm and an unnamed international man of mystery, along with guests and friends.

Thankfully, tickets are booked to leave Thurs morning. I'm going to have to get up early...I hate getting up early. Flights were $200 cheaper to book now than 2 weeks ago. I'll never understand how airlines price their flights. Very happy to see the comfort class seats on the flights. The extra $$ is very worth it to me.

Now, to find a hotel in San Fran for Sat night, and a place to eat. Then, need to book an early dinner in Napa on Sunday.

--John Muir

kttest

rpm wrote:It's not exactly the 'welcome' for the Vets - they will have finished their first day. The Vets will have their welcome pre-tour gathering on Tuesday night, while the Newbies will be enjoying the Sonoma Plaza Farmers' Market after a must-do final tour stop of the day that puts everyone in a happy happy mood.

I hope we have a chance to visit the Farmer's Market before the gathering starts, it's such a great event.

- Krista

kttest

joelsisk wrote:I suppose it is necessary to disclose that I (and MichelleShari) need vegetarian options...

Previous tours had multiple vegetarians and they were well taken care of, but advance notice was given.

- Krista

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
rpm wrote:If you fly out Wednesday night - even on a red eye, you will probably miss the Combined Tours dinner which will be a fabulous BBQ at an undisclosed location in Sonoma Valley at the ranch of Winefarm and an unnamed international man of mystery, along with guests and friends.

Any chance locals can attend this event? I'd be willing to pay for my attendance.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
joelsisk wrote:I suppose it is necessary to disclose that I (and MichelleShari) need vegetarian options... we eat eggs, dairy, and fish (no shellfish). I assume that is not a problem, but feel that advance disclosure is appropriate.

Looking forward to it!

My plus 1 is attending and also has very similar pescatarian dietary restrictions (though she'll eat the shell fish too).

Also, RPM, if you get a second, could you update the original post to reflect the current guest list? I got woop the deposit for my +1.

Thanks!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

cmaldoon wrote:My plus 1 is attending and also has very similar pescatarian dietary restrictions (though she'll eat the shell fish too).

Also, RPM, if you get a second, could you update the original post to reflect the current guest list? I got woop the deposit for my +1.

Thanks!

As an FYI, the GoogleDoc is updated with the current lists of attendees and I have your +1 on there. I've been maintaining that for rpm/woop since they're busy with the actual organizing of the tours.

If you don't yet have an invite for it, toss me a PM with your gmail address for access.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

I was on Venice Beach the other day, and it's well known for street crazies. But this one had an aura, and almost glowing eyes. He intoned what sounded like "If RPM comes not to So Cal then Obama wins". Or it might have been something about bluffing while playing cards.

In any case, I can't disregard such a doubtfully divine message. I've put in for vacation on the week of the 24th, and if it's approved, I'd like to sign up for the veterans tour.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar