$59.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 4 2009 Scott Harvey Reserve Old Vine Zinfandel
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Scott Harvey 2009 Reserve Old Vine Zinfandel - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 1m 13.057s
Last wooter to woot: mill

AUTOBUY!!!!! Plus it's a Wine.Woot Launch.

Scott is one of the best winemakers around, and his wines are terrific. And he and Jana are terrific to Wooters as well!

If you miss out on this, you will regret it!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

These are probably going to need to be cellered for a while...yes?

If they're drink now, I'd auto buy, but full rack = more explaining to the boss. I can pull that off with Kronos, proably not with this unless I get some ammo.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

Impressive Wooters at the starting gate: MarkDaSpark and Mill

First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 1m 13.057s
Last wooter to woot: mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

Absolute autobuy, and less than wine the wine club price even before you consider shipping
Last wooter to woot: rjquillin (x2)

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Scott: what's the new vs. used oak treatment.

And look at that pH and alc.! High acid and low alcohol for zin. Food wine FTW!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

Ohio's back on the list, it's Scott Harvey, it's a Woot launch ...

In for 3!

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

szecsei

quality posts: 9 Private Messages szecsei

i'm getting a little more selective now that my cellar is filling up. the timing is great, though, since i'm running low on zin.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Damn... looks good

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Malink

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Malink

Scott Harvey never fails to disappoint. This will be an autobuy for many many wooters. Scott Harvey is a very respected winemaker in the woot community. His Rieslings and Zins are fantastic. My personal favorite is the Jana Cathedral table wine blend. Do yourself a favor, if you've never had a good Zin before then press the big yellow button. You won't be disappointed.

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Damn... looks good

Shall we? My turn to buy if yes.

omgad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages omgad

Scott, offer Jana again please.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

At least this 2009 vintage does not contain a bit of Forte (Port) as the 2006 vintage did as offered on wine.woot in December 2010. Not a fan of Scott Harvey's wines when supplemented with a bit of forte (port). IMHO

kylemittskus

omgad wrote:Scott, offer Jana again please.

That seems wildly inappropriate! She's his wife, you savage.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

in for 1...don't want to take any chances this sells out before I get up tomorrow!! I have not been dissapointed with anything of Scotts!!

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Shall we? My turn to buy if yes.

Do it! will add these to my winter rotation

kylemittskus

tytiger58 wrote:Do it! will add these to my winter rotation

Done! We are in for a pack!

cortot20

quality posts: 139 Private Messages cortot20

Liked the 06' quite a bit and got a similar price on it at the Bevmo five cent sale. I will have to think about this one.

CT

oldgoat99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages oldgoat99

I've been buying Amador zinfandels since the late 1970s, and am not about to let this offering get away. In for 3.

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Done! We are in for a pack!

Thanks Kyle looks like were back in business. Next time my turn.

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Scott is a wonderful winemaker and my tastes align well with his wines. Even if before I read the tantalizing wine bio, I knew was an auto buy. Thanks, Scott.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Ohio is in again...Thanks Scott. I always enjoy your wine and this one really peaks my attention.

How long can we cellar these babies?

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

Mmmmm ... looking forward to tasting this. In for one.

Wonder how it will compare to the Meeks Hilltop Ranch 2007 Zin?

My father was recently out from Australia (where there seems to be not too much Zin, at least that I know of)and wanted something peppery - he loved the Meeks Hilltop.

Can't wait to compare.

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

I love zins, I love Scott Harvey's wines, and my "cellar" seems to be low on reds, just at the time of year when I want them. So perfect timing! Thanks, Woot!

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe

Scott Harvey is on my very short autobuy list. Nobody does Zin better!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
jimjacks66 wrote:At least this 2009 vintage does not contain a bit of Forte (Port) as the 2006 vintage did as offered on wine.woot in December 2010. Not a fan of Scott Harvey's wines when supplemented with a bit of forte (port). IMHO

Quite! And this, at about $15 a bottle is half price, the most generous SH woot yet.

Scott is a consummate winemaker and one of the most generous, welcoming and decent men in the business I have ever met. He is also happy to converse and expound on winemaking topics with you, and his hospitality is beyond comparison!

He also makes a few of the most sublime wines I've had the fortune to taste. However, I've had issues with his Zins and Syrahs in particular for the port added, which to me muddled them badly. EDIT: But, Scott's the most honest and open about his additions and any hidden winemaking techniques of all the winemakers I've ever encountered, and explains the secrets. Which means you can have a friendly and frank discussion! Now I hope he's keeping the port out of all his better label wines. Without the port I can recommend them wholeheartedly.

Hierarchy of SH reds in ascending order:

-One Last Kiss brand (table red): Red Blend. Fun, zingy acid like Ty Caton, sweetish red for your auntie. Great mouthwatering fun and sort of "everyfruit" wine for parties.

- Everyday: Mountain Selection (red label): Zin, Barbera, Syrah. All with some port added, and other little amounts of more traditional blending grapes here and there. The Syrah actually stands it well for things like lamb stew if you let it open up, and the 06 Barbera was very fun, but the 06 Zin and 07 Barbera were a mess IMO! $20 at the winery.

- InZinerator: Zin. Deliberately sweeter for the mass market Zin. This is actually great fun, and the additions make this the deepest off-dry big-hearted BBQ red wine on the market. Your non-wine pals will love it! Needs an hour or so to to open up.

- Reserve THIS WINE (white label): Zin, Barbera, Syrah. Until now, all except the (outstanding autobuy, hint hint) Barbera still had some (though significantly less) port added, but the grapes were from proportionately better sources. Now also 100% pure varietal, this Zin ought to be excellent. $30 at the winery.

- 1869 (black label): Zin. Remarkable complexity, and the depth of flavour from the predominantly 1869 vineyard grapes is remarkable but he still puts a tiny bit of port in it, damnit! This time because of the quality of the grapes he just gets away with it, but it'd be even better without!

- Jana Cathedral: Bx Blend. The Bordeaux blend is a deep rich dark fruited, yet not a fruit bomb, a more balanced amazing wine! Good acidity, moderate but weighty tannins (grape over oak, a good thing) and length. The 05 will age another decade yet, and has just started drinking very well. Recently on woot. Great stuff.

As for the whites, they can be even better, especially his cold-climate Jana Leelanau Peninsular Michigan Riesling if he ever makes it again, IMHO America's best Riesling.

ryancooke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryancooke
CowboyDann wrote:

What do you think about this CowboyDann? Think we can go halfsies again? It looks good!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

See ... I predicted something like this yesterday.

If you like your wines in a classic style this is the auto-buy of all auto-buys!!

Each of Scott's Zins has its own unique character, so I'm reluctant to draw direct comparison between the previous offerings. I will say I've never had one I didn't like and I'm in on this offer.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Olsonbarb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Olsonbarb

Unreal, no ND for Scott Harvey?? Guess I will find a MN friend who will help me out!
In for 1, 2 days in a row, a good start for the New Year !

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
kylemittskus wrote:Scott: what's the new vs. used oak treatment.

And look at that pH and alc.! High acid and low alcohol for zin. Food wine FTW!

As always, great to be back on Woot. First off, the Norton vineyard is the same vineyard as my Grandfather's vineyard/DeMille. Unfortunarely, my grandfather passed away a few years back and my step grandmother sold the vineyard to Bruce Norton. Good news is we still get the grapes. Bruce has done a great job bringing the vineyard back to health where the grapes really talk to me when producing this wine. The balance is from Vineyard 1869 which is the oldest documented Zinfandel Vineyard in America. It is owned by my ex-wife, Terri Harvey. She farmes a number of the vineyards we get grapes from including helping and consulting for the Norton Vineyard.
Oak treatment; I do not like new oak and American oak. I purchase once used French oak barrels from Opus One and age the wine in them. When it comes to the amount of oak I want in a wine, it is kind of like people. A person with a big skeletal structure can carry more weight, while a person with a small skeletal structure can not carry as much weight. So with the wines, if the wine has a big skeletal structure I can add more oak balls. While a lighter wine with a small skeletal sturcture will get less oak balls. The balls are twice the size of a marble and are completely smooth. I like the softer more balanced flavor from these oak balls than that of the harsher flavor of a new barrel. It is also much more environmentally friendly. A French oak tree produces only four barrels with a tremendous amount of wast. These oak balls are produced from the wood left over, so another tree does not need to be cut down.
Acid and Alcohol;
These are the specs one needs to produce wine in the old world style where the wine talks to you. I go through the vineyard eating the grapes at harvest. At maturity, they say I'm Zinfandel, Amador County and 2009 vintage. At this point I pick, if I let them go beyond that that point the wine losses its ability to talk to you.

ScottHarveyWines

jimjacks66 wrote:At least this 2009 vintage does not contain a bit of Forte (Port) as the 2006 vintage did as offered on wine.woot in December 2010. Not a fan of Scott Harvey's wines when supplemented with a bit of forte (port). IMHO

This wine didn't need any Forte to smooth it out. I have to admit, I'm moving away from adding Forte to the wine. You'll still see it in the InZinerator and One Last Kiss, but not anymore in our dry reds.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
ScottHarveyWines wrote:This wine didn't need any Forte to smooth it out. I have to admit, I'm moving away from adding Forte to the wine. Yu'll still see it in the InZinerator and One Last Kiss, but not anymore in our dry reds.

Just mentioned Scotts' Opus One Barrels, yesterday I think, and here he goes and uses them! In for one. How much cellar time are you advising Scott?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
omgad wrote:Scott, offer Jana again please.

Follow them on Facebook...probably had 3-4 offerings this year there. At great prices too!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

ScottHarveyWines

boatman72 wrote:Ohio is in again...Thanks Scott. I always enjoy your wine and this one really peaks my attention.

How long can we cellar these babies?

Ohio has to be in. That is where Jana is from, east side of Cleveland. The family would be disappointed if they could not get in on the woot deal.
This 2009 is actually a pre-release. We are just starting to move from the 2008 to the 2009. The wine has been in bottle for 6 months. It is drinking well now with a young bright red fruit character. It is made to be a 12 year wine with its 3.54pH that will change and develop as time goes by.

ScottHarveyWines

dalematthew wrote:Mmmmm ... looking forward to tasting this. In for one.

Wonder how it will compare to the Meeks Hilltop Ranch 2007 Zin?

My father was recently out from Australia (where there seems to be not too much Zin, at least that I know of)and wanted something peppery - he loved the Meeks Hilltop.

Can't wait to compare.

We have a shareholder in Australia and Bill Crowe, who some of you remember is now making wine in Australia. Through the Australian plant science department we exported zinfandel cuttings from Vineyard 1869 which are now growing in Australia.

ScottHarveyWines

richardhod wrote:Quite! And this, at about $15 a bottle is half price, the most generous SH woot yet.

Scott is a consummate winemaker and one of the most generous, welcoming and decent men in the business I have ever met. He is also happy to converse and expound on winemaking topics with you, and his hospitality is beyond comparison!

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the write up on the wines. I like your European palate.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Can anyone comment on the similarities/differences between the SH Zin and the recently offered Saxon-Brown Zin?

crosa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crosa

What's the little launch icon mean?

derchwooting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derchwooting

<-- Possible first time wine.woot purchase

My closet is full of woot shirts, but this could be my first wine buy. I'm a wine Skippy Squirrel and recently started enjoying old vine Zin but have only had what I can find at the grocery store (Gnarly Head, Ravenwood, and my favorite so far... 4 Vines). After reading the comments it sounds like I should be blown away by this Scott Harvey offering, can anyone compare his wines to those I've mentioned above?

Also, I don't have a wine cellar. I have a finished basement but nothing with a controlled environment. How should I store these bottles? And Scott mentions this is a 12-year wine, does that mean I have to (or should) wait 12 years before consuming? I assume it will get better with age towards 12 years, but what about drinking it next month? As a pre-release for 2009 when would I actually receive it?

Thanks in advance for my simpleton questions : -)