1 2006 Russian Cuvée
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
12/17/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

It's here folks, but is it any good!?!?!?!?????

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

The vineyards look great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jLpSgzWuSQ

that was fun while it lasted!

rluxemburg

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rluxemburg

I have not tasted this particular Iron Horse but every other bottle of bubbly I have gotten from them has been excellent. Order away!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bsevern wrote:It's here folks, but is it any good!?!?!?!?????

Yep. If it's been served at the White House, you know it's good!

First sucker: mill

Dang it!! Knew I shouldn't have clicked on the "I Want Two" button. Delayed me enough for mill to sneak in.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

unixrab

quality posts: 11 Private Messages unixrab

"iron" & "horse" - do i want to drink that? Even if it means locomotive... train?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bags of Crap = 3 ------> woot 3.0 is DEAD!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

This is quality stuff, possibly the best bubble makers in the USA. Classic is dry, Russian cuvee is off-dry but still tastes dry to me!

This has been wooted and loved before. 4+ year on the lees, and this will drink well now, and probably even better in 5 years.

Much better value than, at a much higher quality than the NV Champagnes you buy for $60+

This is a Joy to drink!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I bought 2 with the hopes that there will be many things to celebrate in 2012

signed.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Effervescent... like Alka-Seltzer?

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I always enjoy Iron Horse sparklers and I buy most issues regularly and in some volume.

You'll enjoy this purchase!!

Happy New Year !!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe
richardhod wrote:This is quality stuff, possibly the best bubble makers in the USA. Classic is dry, Russian cuvee is off-dry but still tastes dry to me!

This has been wooted and loved before. 4+ year on the lees, and this will drink well now, and probably even better in 5 years.

Much better value than, at a much higher quality than the NV Champagnes you buy for $60+

This is a Joy to drink!

With such high praise, how could I pass this up?!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
richardhod wrote:This is quality stuff, possibly the best bubble makers in the USA. Classic is dry, Russian cuvee is off-dry but still tastes dry to me!

This is a Joy to drink!

+1 fantastic Cali bubbles!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yep. If it's been served at the White House, you know it's good!

First sucker: mill

Dang it!! Knew I shouldn't have clicked on the "I Want Two" button. Delayed me enough for mill to sneak in.

And from the previous woot, rpm comments...
"Always wonderful sparklers! My consistent vote for one of the top three makers of sparkling wines in California.

This is an rpm autobuy."

CT

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor

The word is, Gorbachev and Reagan drank to world peace and ended the cold war with this wine. I want to know which one was served to Gorbachev and which one was served to Reagan.

Olsonbarb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Olsonbarb
richardhod wrote:This is quality stuff, possibly the best This is a Joy to drink!

I want, I want, I want .. no shipping for ND the 3rd straight offer? Woot. help me out here, pleeeese.

bryte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bryte

Um yea, not so impressed with today's offer. I can pick these up locally just a few dollars cheaper.

I've only got one each of these left. Was hoping there would be a three pack with the brut x or something new for me to try. Dying to try the winter cuvée. I love everything that I have tried fron IH besides the wedding cuvée.

All that being said, I went in for three. =D At least I won't have to resort to popping any of the LD on NYE.

craiggery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages craiggery

is woot still knocking off the shipping in your birthday month? either way ive got to be in for at least one.
someone mentioned this would store well for awhile. if i dont have a fancy wine cellar yet are there any special instructions or is this just the typical leave it by the bed in the box and avoid the extremes of heat/moisture/etc?

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Yay Iron Horse! WD, I promised I wouldn't spend any more money this year.

Joy, what do you think the major differences will be in this batch of disgorging vs the batch from last year? Another year on the lees ought to make some difference, right?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mikop168

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mikop168

argh! can't decide! 2 or 3!?
absolutely no room in locker to store these

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Yeeeeep. I'm in.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Trcseb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Trcseb

Way to go! That's two offerings from SEBastopol in the last three days!!

MrParr1Noid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrParr1Noid

It's about time. ;)

Finally, a Woot Wine that's Woot Worthy...

craiggery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages craiggery

settled on 2 after reading through the forum on the previous offering. worth the read for those that have the time...lots of intersting stuff.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Itwdswafo
klezman wrote:Yay Iron Horse! WD, I promised I wouldn't spend any more money this year.

Thank goodness this year is almost over.... how about we say that today is beginning of your "fiscal year?"

mikewbingham

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikewbingham
CowboyDann wrote:Effervescent... like Alka-Seltzer?

Well, FWIW, drinking this will make you feel better no matter how sick you are.

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yep. If it's been served at the White House, you know it's good!

lol...At first, I read, "If it has served at the White House, you know it's good" and I was ready to remind you of a few Presidents that would disprove that statement.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Someone quoted my previous comments on Iron Horse sparklers - always among the best three in California.

This remains a highly recommended rpm AUTOBUY!

A note on pricing - wine prices continue to rise at retail and at wineries, despite the recession. Last year the price per bottle for a three pack (the same 2 wines as this -- as to the question on the disgorged dates, Joy says they disgorge to order -- and the Brut X which is more expensive) was $23.33, this year it's $24.99 without the Brut X.

Without adjusting for the more expensive Brut X , the per bottle cost has increased 7.1% from last year. Given that WD has not raised shipping costs, I'd say that this is in line with inflation generally, and in line with increases in wine costs in particular.

I do wish we had a 3 pack with the Brut X, or more of the LD we had in fall 2010, but this is good bubbly and a good deal.

Given my own preference for very dry sparklers, I usually drink the Brut and either serve the Russian Cuvee to those whose tastes run to less bone dry sparklers or give it as (always appreciated) gifts.

I actually expect these wines to be better than the 2006 Brut and Russian Cuvee offered last year, because these wines have another year on the yeasts.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

charles0797

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charles0797

This is one of the Woots I wait for. I love this stuff. Can't beat the price. In for two!

johannafin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johannafin

2006 Classic Vintage Brut
■Harvest Dates: August 30 - September 22, 2006
■Date Bottled: July 2007
■Release Date: Current disgorging, August 2011

I"m confused. I bought this from Woot last year, so how could it just be released in August of this year? Have I entered some sort of Wine.Woot time warp?

Johanna

44 Wine Woots; 17 Woots (6 woot off wines)

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
johannafin wrote:2006 Classic Vintage Brut
■Harvest Dates: August 30 - September 22, 2006
■Date Bottled: July 2007
■Release Date: Current disgorging, August 2011

I"m confused. I bought this from Woot last year, so how could it just be released in August of this year? Have I entered some sort of Wine.Woot time warp?

Johanna

bboog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bboog
richardhod wrote:2005

actually, it was the 2006. see here: http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=15622

JupiterJones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JupiterJones

Yup, this is an autobuy. Good stuff!

JJ

tornadotj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tornadotj

Bottled the same year but different disgorging.

Iron Horse makes great sparklers. If you get a chance to visit the winery out near Sebastopol, go!

Dallas, TX

rpm

tornadotj wrote:Bottled the same year but different disgorging.

Iron Horse makes great sparklers. If you get a chance to visit the winery out near Sebastopol, go!

Iron Horse is a mandatory stop on all rpm Magical History Tours.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
MrParr1Noid wrote:It's about time. ;)

Finally, a Woot Wine that's Woot Worthy...

+1

In for 3. Wish it was identical to last years. Would have really like 9 bottles.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Sorry, but i must ask the obligatory question. How long would these cellar?

dalylink

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dalylink

This is a Joy to drink!

I agree it's fantastic stuff, but I have a preference for Schramsberg. Definitely picking this up for New Year's eve.

rpm

dalylink wrote:I agree it's fantastic stuff, but I have a preference for Schramsberg. Definitely picking this up for New Year's eve.

No question that Schramsberg is fine -- my trio of top California sparklers are (in alphabetical order): Iron Horse, Roederer Anderson Valley, and Schramsberg.

I will say that 20-30 years ago, the 'standard' Schramsberg sparklers were significantly better than today, because the wines stayed on the yeasts longer. The Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs only spends 2 years on the years these days. It used to be 4-6 years on the yeasts.

Iron Horse usually is 4+ years on the yeasts (note these wines are 4 and 1/2 before recent disgorgement), and Joy often has wines that have real time on the yeasts. I picked up a magnum of 2010 disgorged 1996 during the 2010 rpm Magical History Tour.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

sulakdd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sulakdd
poorhungrydoctor wrote:The word is, Gorbachev and Reagan drank to world peace and ended the cold war with this wine. I want to know which one was served to Gorbachev and which one was served to Reagan.

As my high-school history teacher said, the cold war isn't over, it's just in a cold period! ;)

http://defense.aol.com/2011/12/19/russia-accelerates-new-super-nuke-after-talks-breakdown-with-u-s/

roro856

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roro856

I tasted both of these at the Iron Horse Vineyard and they were delightful, but are not the best two they make.