kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
losthighwayz wrote:I had my first PS back in 2000 at the House of Prime Rib in SF and fell in love! I was not much of a wino then but the stuff was smooth and inky. Anyway, my second PS expereince was a bottle of Foppiano. I understand Foppiano were the first winery in CA to produce PS. Is this true?

For the winery: how does this offer compare to Foppiano's style?

Finally, I LOVE the Pink Elephant.

***Oh, not feeling the Tuy Caton woot cellars offering. Just saying***

Peace

I believe Concannon was the first winery to produce CA PS. And give woot cellars a year after sale, people! Trust me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tornadotj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tornadotj
martha1956 wrote:Petite Syrah is my favorite grape. Its hard to find anymore...Lets see what this tastes like! So excited about it being delivered before Christmas!

Hard to find? A friend of my wife gave her a bottle of Petite Sirah last night. The friend called it "Petite Shiraz". MMMmmm, Bogle (in my best sarcastic voice). I think I'll put it next to the bottle of Barefoot White Zin she got for Christmas last year. ;) Does Bogle and Barefoot improve with age? :D Anyway, the Bogle version isn't hard to find.

Oh, I see what the OP means now, the Blitzen wasn't their cup of tea. It isn't mine either, going to let it sit for a year like you just mentioned.

Dallas, TX

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jplamb wrote:Last wooter to woot: jplamb

Meeker and PS? No way to pass on this, even though the 1,100 bottle cellar is completely full.

1,100 bottles? Where do you live, I think you need a new friend!

I have to pass because I have spent way too much money on wine lately and I don't even have room to store the 50 bottles or so that I now have (or are in transit). Plus, I'm too novice of a drinker right now to buy too many $20 bottles that my palette will fail to discern from a $10-$15 bottle. I'm sticking at the lower end of spectrum until I build up my flavor profile and understand the true value that I am getting. The 5 year aging window almost convinced be, but alas the storage space failed me as I already some 10 bottles of Ty and 10 Bottles of KR Esoterica that I need to store away. Meeker will be in my sights over the next year or so though, as I won't be able to pass on it forever given the rave reviews around here.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

tornadotj wrote:Hard to find? A friend of my wife gave her a bottle of Petite Sirah last night. The friend called it "Petite Shiraz". MMMmmm, Bogle (in my best sarcastic voice). I think I'll put it next to the bottle of Barefoot White Zin she got for Christmas last year. ;) Does Bogle and Barefoot improve with age? :D Anyway, the Bogle version isn't hard to find.

Oh, I see what the OP means now, the Blitzen wasn't their cup of tea. It isn't mine either, going to let it sit for a year like you just mentioned.

I haven't tried the Blitzen yet, how to does it compare the 2009 Racchus Red (which I absolutely loved)? Based on the reviews I have read so far on the Blitzen, I'm going to hold off on it as long as I can, but I really want to pop one open to compare.

My CT

tornadotj

I can't compare. I've been a Ty Caton club member as long as I have been a Meeker Tribe member (I think May of 2008) but I don't recall ever getting any Racchus Red. If I did, I drank it and dind't put any thought behind it. I hate to say I'm one of those that didn't love the Blitzen, but I am hoping it will come around after a while. I know all the Ty Caton wines I have are all far too young to drink. I recently opened a 2006 TyTanium and it still needed at least 5-10 years IMO. These aren't the only wines I have like this, my Dunn Vineyard Howell Mountain Cab is the same way, I have some 1998s and 1999s that are still drinking young. Still probably another 3-5 years on the 98 and 5-10 to go on the 99.

Keeping the topic valid, don't wait that long on these Petit Sirahs from Meeker. A few weeks to mellow from the shipment is all that's needed. I do have a few bottles (other than the Kiss Ridge) I'm sitting on for about a year, but Meeker makes wines that are pretty much all good for drinking either just after you get them or within a year. Not to say they won't age, but Meeker typically makes wines that drink great when you get it.

Dallas, TX

North316

tornadotj wrote:I can't compare. I've been a Ty Caton club member as long as I have been a Meeker Tribe member (I think May of 2008) but I don't recall ever getting any Racchus Red. If I did, I drank it and dind't put any thought behind it. I hate to say I'm one of those that didn't love the Blitzen, but I am hoping it will come around after a while. I know all the Ty Caton wines I have are all far too young to drink. I recently opened a 2006 TyTanium and it still needed at least 5-10 years IMO.

I don't believe the Racchus Red is part of any of his clubs that I have seen. It was offered here on woot a few months back. The reason I asked about the comparison is that the blend is very similar to the Blitzen.

My CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
PetiteSirah wrote:...Dark & Delicious is the premiere Petite Sirah event every year...

I didn't realize this was in Alameda at the NIS, that's great! It's also close, definitely added to my calender!

Is D&D less crowded then ZAP? As a Zin lover, ZAP sounds like it would be fun, but the online pics look like it's elbow to elbow people.

I also love PS....had a 2000 Concannon Heritage Petite Sirah I had been cellaring since I purchased it at the winery when it was released, and it was sublime!

tornadotj

North316 wrote:I don't believe the Racchus Red is part of any of his clubs that I have seen. It was offered here on woot a few months back. The reason I asked about the comparison is that the blend is very similar to the Blitzen.

I missed it when it was here a while back. I would have grabbed some for sure.

Dallas, TX

bsevern

lucasmeeker wrote:Shhhh. That's not *technically* a Meeker wine...

Roller coasters...you should make a pit stop to Magic Mountain, it has great coasters and it's on the way to Disneyland

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
tornadotj wrote:Hard to find? A friend of my wife gave her a bottle of Petite Sirah last night. The friend called it "Petite Shiraz". MMMmmm, Bogle (in my best sarcastic voice). I think I'll put it next to the bottle of Barefoot White Zin she got for Christmas last year. ;) Does Bogle and Barefoot improve with age? :D Anyway, the Bogle version isn't hard to find.

Bogle's not bad for the price. Their limited bottlings and Phantom are pretty nice QPR and tasty.

The biggest mistake that most people make with Petite is just not giving the wine enough air. It usually needs 2+ hours open breathing in bottle or at least half an hour in a decanter to really open up.

Try decanting your next bottle of Bogle (or opening it in the morning before dinner, if you don't have a decanter). It might change your mind.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
bsevern wrote:I didn't realize this was in Alameda at the NIS, that's great! It's also close, definitely added to my calender!

Is D&D less crowded then ZAP? As a Zin lover, ZAP sounds like it would be fun, but the online pics look like it's elbow to elbow people.

I also love PS....had a 2000 Concannon Heritage Petite Sirah I had been cellaring since I purchased it at the winery when it was released, and it was sublime!

Nice choice!

Not being a Zinfidel, I haven't been to ZAP, but D&D's only elbow-to-elbow around the tasting tables, and then for the last half of the evening. It's generally pretty easy to walk around, at least for a tasting. Definitely get there earlier, and it's more PleaSant.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
lucasmeeker wrote:That's not intentional, it's just that the website isn't fully built out yet only has the tech sheets up for the wines that we're distributing or selling recently. Neither of these wines get distributed, so they don't have tech sheets. And we currently don't have a shopping cart on our site, so all the wines for purchase are not listed.

06 was 450 cases, 07 was 402 cases.

What are the retail prices here?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tornadotj

PetiteSirah wrote:Try decanting your next bottle of Bogle (or opening it in the morning before dinner, if you don't have a decanter). It might change your mind.

Since I have a bottle here now, I'll give it a shot!

Dallas, TX

bsevern

kylemittskus wrote:I believe Concannon was the first winery to produce CA PS. And give woot cellars a year after sale, people! Trust me.

According to the Concannon site, not only were they the first in California, they were the first in the U.S.:

"In 1961 we introduced America’s First Petite Sirah"

wwentland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wwentland

Lucas,
Hadn't seen any discussion on this. How would you compare the two different bottles being offered style wise? Were the only differences primarily the vintage (and perhaps less Dry Creek appellation) or do you see different flavor profiles? Like either more than the other (I know it is like saying which kid do you like best)?

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
lucasmeeker wrote:I love that wine too, and you'll like these as well, but there are some notable differences. The forklift is a substantially more flamboyant wine, higher alcohol and very fruit forward. These wines are stylistically consistent with the Forklift, but more less distinctly fruit forward and more black pepper/earth/spice, and the 07 is substantially lower alcohol while the 06 is moderately lower alc.

Overall, I still think you'd really enjoy these wines too.

Your typing is as bad as mine! Still, I get the gist of your posts and it's all good. Deep but not OTT heavy alcohol, heavy oak.

Somehow I resisted the Cab but this may break the moratorium! Looks like seriously good PS. Have you tried Kent Rasmussen's PS for comparison?

tornadotj

It's 15 after 5:00 and I was getting tempted to open one of these to sample and give some fresh impressions. I went to the cellar, pulled out a bottle, looked closely, and it says 2008. Darn

Dallas, TX

stwrigh2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stwrigh2

LucasMeeker, enjoy Disney!!!

joeuns77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeuns77

I've never tried a PS before and am a wine newbie. Would this be a good buy for me to break myself into drinking this style of wine? So far Ive enjoyed most of the wines I have bought from WW, though blitzes seemed a little too achohol forward and very tart to me. I would appreciate any input, thank you

lucasmeeker

quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker

Alright folks, I'm currently responding from my phone in a packed SwAMVan (Swank Ass Mini Van) on my way to Disneyland. Apologies in advance for typos and brevity.

As far as the two wines go, the 06 really reminds me more of a hot climate PS, where as the 07 is more characteristic of a cold climate Rhone blend. Funny thing is... the 06 is cool climate and 07 is warm climate. Anyways, they're both relatively fruit forward with distinct white/black pepper on the nose. The 06 is the more flamboyant of the two, but my personal preference is the 07. I think most California wine drinkers will prefer the 06, but they're both really good.

Keep it going people, make it bounce!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

joeuns77 wrote:I've never tried a PS before and am a wine newbie. Would this be a good buy for me to break myself into drinking this style of wine? So far Ive enjoyed most of the wines I have bought from WW, though blitzes seemed a little too achohol forward and very tart to me. I would appreciate any input, thank you

I didn't try Blitzen, but if you found that tart then I'd maybe skip this one... are wines are comparably pretty acidic, and if that's not your speed then maybe it's not the best call. That said, I like to think our wines are pretty darn good, so I don't think you'll dislike it, per se.

Ultimately, at this price it's worth a shot! While I'm being a pretty crappy salesperson here, it's more important that you spend your money on wine you like and are interested in, and while nobody can guarantee that for you, let alone me, what I can tell you is that they're pretty nice wines.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

stwrigh2 wrote:LucasMeeker, enjoy Disney!!!

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

klezman wrote:What are the retail prices here?

06 was $26 and 07 $28.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

stwrigh2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stwrigh2
lucasmeeker wrote:I didn't try Blitzen, but if you found that tart then I'd maybe skip this one... are wines are comparably pretty acidic, and if that's not your speed then maybe it's not the best call. That said, I like to think our wines are pretty darn good, so I don't think you'll dislike it, per se.

Ultimately, at this price it's worth a shot! While I'm being a pretty crappy salesperson here, it's more important that you spend your money on wine you like and are interested in, and while nobody can guarantee that for you, let alone me, what I can tell you is that they're pretty nice wines.

Wow, very straight-forward indeed! Talk about being short, sweet, and to-the-point. I don't think you are a crappy salesperson, one who is constantly pushing their product. You answer everyone's questions truthfully and poignantly. Some people don't like this type of wine, some people do. It's all about preference. And while you can't explain what they'll like, you can offer some guidelines, which I think everyone will be happy to take into consideration.

joeuns77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeuns77

Talk about an honest person. Thank you for the very straight forward answer. Your honest opinion totally sold me to try out this wine. I'm up to try anything at least once, I figure if I don't try, I'll never know. Who knows maybe I'll fall in love with this. Thanks in for one.

lucasmeeker

bsevern wrote:Roller coasters...you should make a pit stop to Magic Mountain, it has great coasters and it's on the way to Disneyland

Let's just say I'm not a big fan of that place. But yes, I will be driving past it.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

kylemittskus

joeuns77 wrote:Talk about an honest person. Thank you for the very straight forward answer. Your honest opinion totally sold me to try out this wine. I'm up to try anything at least once, I figure if I don't try, I'll never know. Who knows maybe I'll fall in love with this. Thanks in for one.

You will like PS. *waves hand*

klezman

lucasmeeker wrote:I didn't try Blitzen, but if you found that tart then I'd maybe skip this one... are wines are comparably pretty acidic, and if that's not your speed then maybe it's not the best call. That said, I like to think our wines are pretty darn good, so I don't think you'll dislike it, per se.

Aside from the excellent wine, it's comments like these that make me want to support you and your business! Cheers!

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

taxiguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taxiguy

I actually am sitting here with a glass of Bogle PS and after decanting for a couple of hours it's quite pleasant. In for 1 of these, as PS is rapidly replacing Pinot Noir as a personal favorite. Looking forward to getting this before Christmas, and happy holidays to all Wooters!

It's only money...

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

I'd say that - while both acidulate - this is likely to be rather better than the basement end of Caton's wines! Indeed, I think their philosophies are different, and so I'd not necessarily compare them at all, except that they both do have good acid levels and are not fruit-bombily flabby!

Looks great stuff, and Lucas, you're as helpful and forthcoming about the winemaking process as others of the best winemakers I've seen here, so I hold out great hopes for your stuff!

mtgmailing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mtgmailing

Got one for mom's Christmas present. We'll see how it stacks up against 2 Buck Chuck.

kylemittskus

taxiguy wrote:I actually am sitting here with a glass of Bogle PS and after decanting for a couple of hours it's quite pleasant. In for 1 of these, as PS is rapidly replacing Pinot Noir as a personal favorite. Looking forward to getting this before Christmas, and happy holidays to all Wooters!

You couldn't enjoy two more different varietals! Welcome to the dark side.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Last wooter to woot: klezman

Darn you Klez!!!! I wanted Last Wooter!!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

Sweet! Last wooter!

Now I gotta figure out where to put this stuff...

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Last wooter to woot: klezman

Darn you Klez!!!! I wanted Last Wooter!!!!

Well, you did get first sucker on the Prosecco...

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Sweet! Last wooter!

Now I gotta figure out where to put this stuff...

In my belly!!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Well, you did get first sucker on the Prosecco...

Not the same ... It's PS!!!!

foppianowine

quality posts: 3 Private Messages foppianowine

Thanks for the shout out! Foppiano has been producing Petite Sirah in California since the early 1900s. Although there's a bit of controversy surrounding this one, Concannon began labeling a single-varietal Petite Sirah in the early 60's. Foppiano was around the same time. Try our new Lot 96 Petite Sirah from Sonoma County... 80% PS plus Zinfandel, Grenache and Carignane. Delicious. Just released but getting rave reviews already.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

Well, I got mine today with no advance tracking info what so ever, which is kind of strange for a package that has to be signed for. Oh well,luckily someone was here to sign for it.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm
foppianowine wrote:Thanks for the shout out! Foppiano has been producing Petite Sirah in California since the early 1900s. Although there's a bit of controversy surrounding this one, Concannon began labeling a single-varietal Petite Sirah in the early 60's. Foppiano was around the same time. Try our new Lot 96 Petite Sirah from Sonoma County... 80% PS plus Zinfandel, Grenache and Carignane. Delicious. Just released but getting rave reviews already.

So weird that you just chimed in here...

I just had https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=535424 randomly from a local liquor store on 12/18/2011

So when are we going to see a sweet deal on some of YOUR best stuff here on wine.woot?