Product website

Previous offers:
12/23/10
5/21/10
2/5/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Jason91887

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jason91887

I got a salami deal from wine.woot last year and loved it! I will be in for this one for sure!

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

I bet this is great when drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

/running gag

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

Abagadro

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Abagadro

This stuff is the bomb. Don't put anything on it. It is great just sliced, pealed and eaten (don't get wigged out by the intentional mold bloom on the skin). It is produced locally where I live and the guy who makes it is really cool.

Decent price too as these go for 13 bucks a pop in the store here.

Best salami I've ever had.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

How do the truffles add to the taste of the salami? I just can't close my eyes and really nail down what it would taste like...

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Is this deal better than 50% off? It seems like it is but I am too lazy to do the math and figure this out. Maybe 60% off even.

Shoot.

I might be in if this is as good a deal as I think it is. I like it when people think I got them really expensive gifts for not an expensive pricetags.

Edit: well shoot, Guess I was looking at the wrong stuff on the website... Still a great deal though... Might be in for one.

Abagadro

clcaruthers wrote:How do the truffles add to the taste of the salami? I just can't close my eyes and really nail down what it would taste like...

Adds a really rich flavor, kinda earthy but not unpleasantly so. The truffle flavor does not overpower the salami flavor.

My personal favorites of his are the Barolo and the Wild Boar if you happen to run across them.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Not the same flavors, but these were at a local store for, and I kid you not, $2 apiece.

Overloaded

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Overloaded

This was also for sale on 5/21/10 with a slightly different selection, when I ordered it. I was unimpressed, mainly as it was too hard to remove the skin to get to the salami. It was also very hard to cut through the skin.
Gonna pass on this one.

ablickle

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ablickle

We have bought this twice before - it tastes like heaven (my wife's words). In for 2 this time!
Seriously, we have been waiting through the last few Woot offs for this. We bought a meat slicer, primarily just for this salami. We finally found it at Whole Foods for $15 a piece, and bought it, but the Woot deal is so much better. Yes, it has a funky smell and you have to peel the white stuff off, but it is worth it. It is relatively challenging to cut thin with a knife, because it is not as soft and fatty as the stuff you get at the grocery store or Trader Joe's. If you enjoy good wine, a nice piece of Parmesan and some real food, get this!

avengerofpi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages avengerofpi

Preservatively speaking, how effectual doth the wrappings be? If delivered to a heated PO Box (heated by room temperature-ness, that is), wilt there be wilting of the Blessed Fruits? (Can things from woot be delivered to a PO Box? Never tried it before, but with Christmas travels so nigh, one must plan whence the Blessed Fruits shall be lustfully accosted.)

nmpls

quality posts: 21 Private Messages nmpls
avengerofpi wrote:Preservatively speaking, how effectual doth the wrappings be? If delivered to a heated PO Box (heated by room temperature-ness, that is), wilt there be wilting of the Blessed Fruits? (Can things from woot be delivered to a PO Box? Never tried it before, but with Christmas travels so nigh, one must plan whence the Blessed Fruits shall be lustfully accosted.)

Also, or alternatively, how long should delivery take?

Salami is cured and is basically made by leaving it outside for a long time. It was developed to keep meat in Italy before refrigeration.
It will be fine.
I love me some good salami, in for 1

migelito

quality posts: 9 Private Messages migelito

it says it's uncured. if i were giving this as a gift, would i have to refrigerate it until i gave it or would it be ok at cool room temps.

vogt2385

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vogt2385

My mouth watered reading everyone's comments.

Abagadro

migelito wrote:it says it's uncured. if i were giving this as a gift, would i have to refrigerate it until i gave it or would it be ok at cool room temps.

Uncured generally just means it doesn't contain nitrates although there aren't great rules on this.

I'd refrigerate it once you slice part of it off, but before then it is okay not to.

bradenmcg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bradenmcg

See, my wife and I were the exact opposite. The boar and the red wine were blah, but we really enjoyed the truffle ones.

We haven't tried the "house blend" yet so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger here, going to wait for the wife's opinion once she wakes up tomorrow. :P

JCamp4321

quality posts: 9 Private Messages JCamp4321

When you have a large package of prime meat has anyone found the best place to hide it?

HAMMER TIME!!!

publicart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages publicart
koneco wrote:Not the same flavors, but these were at a local store for, and I kid you not, $2 apiece.

$2 per slice, or $2 per log?

ablickle

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ablickle
publicart wrote:$2 per slice, or $2 per log?

Good question... it is $15 per stick in my neighborhood... Which makes this a great deal!

xenite227

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xenite227

In for one, love me some sausage.... errr.

pablohere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pablohere

In for one, this stuff looks amazing and they run for $16 on amazon

heroartagon

quality posts: 3 Private Messages heroartagon

I got this last year and WOW my friends, family, and I loved them!!!
The Truffle one was by far my favorite. There is a nice high end store nearby that has salami and I have not found one that I liked more than this Truffle salami. I only wish I could afford to by more then one...

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
bradenmcg wrote:See, my wife and I were the exact opposite. The boar and the red wine were blah, but we really enjoyed the truffle ones.

We haven't tried the "house blend" yet so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger here, going to wait for the wife's opinion once she wakes up tomorrow. :P

Do you really need to get your wife's opinion before you buy some meat? Wow...

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

Ok, what are sugars? I know what sugar is but when they have to say sugars it makes me think they're doing something funny like saying salts makes me think MSG or something else. Is there something besides plain old sugar in these?

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

*inserts requisite wiener joke*

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
ablickle wrote:We have bought this twice before - it tastes like heaven (my wife's words).

I'd be knocking on heaven's door if my wife found out I spent almost $25/lb. on salami! ;-)

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
compudata wrote:I'd be knocking on heaven's door if my wife found out I spent almost $25/lb. on salami! ;-)

Well, the quality is very high. You won't find better salami in this country. However, you can get salami that's as good at less than half the price: Molinari.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kbsig106

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kbsig106

I am all over this order. I missed the last opportunity and ended up saving their website on my favorites. Saw their factory on the Food Truck show (I forget the official name) and have been hooked since.

And arrives by Christmas? Great, all the salami will be in my tummy by Christmas....

Ogion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ogion
Kao1138 wrote:Ok, what are sugars? I know what sugar is but when they have to say sugars it makes me think they're doing something funny like saying salts makes me think MSG or something else. Is there something besides plain old sugar in these?

The "sugars" are probably dextrose. It's used in fermented sausages (e.g. salami) to help feed the bacteria responsible for the fermentation.

jymm2000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jymm2000

I got this last year and was not as impressed as others - thought the skins were almost impossible to get off and the taste was not what I was expecting from all of the reviews. even had the local winery folks try it and the owners wife spit it out - my two cents since I am keeping my money this time.

Jnieberd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jnieberd

I've bought Creminelli's fine charcuterie the last two times they were offered. Creminelli Salamis are *extremely* awesome, and totally worth the price.

Be warned:

1: They're hard to peel. Creminelli has a whole section on their website devoted to educating consumers on how to peel the skin off their damn salamis, but it's always a chore. (http://www.creminelli.com/faq/)

2: If you don't devour them right away, these salamis will harden into still-edible-but-nearly-impossible-to-chew salami-flavored concrete in a week or two. This can be a benefit or a liability, depending on whether you like salami-flavored hard candy.

The Force is like Duct Tape: It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds the galaxy together.

joshwilliams

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshwilliams

Any idea when this will be shipped. I'm leaving for Christmas on the 23rd and will be gone the following week. Should I have it by then?

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LoonBoarder
joshwilliams wrote:Any idea when this will be shipped. I'm leaving for Christmas on the 23rd and will be gone the following week. Should I have it by then?

Well, the front page indicates "Arrives by Christmas".. but I'm in the same boat. If it arrives the 23rd it's going to sit for a while as I'll be leaving that morning.

How precise an answer can we get on arrival date?

Dude... wait, what?

Jillianzwerenz

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Jillianzwerenz

My husband can be kind of a pig. I hope he doesn't sniff these out before Christmas.

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia
Jillianzwerenz wrote:My husband can be kind of a pig. I hope he doesn't sniff these out before Christmas.

I see what you did there.

Some of the comments above were worrisome, but the FAQ on their web page sold me. In for 1!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

This stuff in incredible. Very delicious! The package will come with directions on removing the skin and storage. Read The Directions!
To remove the skin before slicing, I used a paper towel (to grab it) and it just pulls right off. Slice very thin and just let the flavors melt in your mouth! Mmmmmmm!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Starting to get worried I will have to order bubbles from Iron Horse direct. Where's the bubbles WD?

Oh, and buy the Cremenelli. It's delish and keeps forever.

TrippingOverDogs

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TrippingOverDogs

Bought these last time when the wild boar and truffle varieties were offered, and they were excellent. As for storage and eating, during the last Woot, someone counseled "patience," said the salami was too soft and should cure a little longer. I, on the other hand recommend instant gratification. Last time I kept one of these too long (and not in a plastic bag) wanting make it last and it got too hard to slice. So throw caution to the wind, live for the day, and indulge yourself. Definitely in for one!

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

Mmmm...gonna dip 'em in some Hidden Valley Ranch and/or Hunt's Ketchup! Nom!