WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Who makes the best cheese in Europe?
  • 28.9% - France 106
  • 27.2% - Italy 100
  • 6.8% - Germany 25
  • 13.6% - Netherlands 50
  • 12.8% - Denmark 47
  • 10.6% - Other (specify in comments) 39
367 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

I like English cheeses - and not just Cheddar.

shortman

quality posts: 39 Private Messages shortman

E) Cheese? What's that?

I'm a teatotaler and don't care for cheese. This poll doesn't really apply to me.

pearmask

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pearmask

¡España! Gotta love a good Manchego

fizzburn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fizzburn

i do love me some irish cheese... but when i take over the world and travel to europe, I'll let ya know the answer

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
mjc613 wrote:I like English cheeses - and not just Cheddar.

Quite
what a stupid, decorateing ignorant set of choices they were. Gernamy, for decorate's sake?!! And Denmark, my ass, as if Danish blue is a real cheese nowadays and they're known for anything else. Go to a good modern cheese shop anywhere, particuarly in the USA, and they will have a good range of traditional cheeses from
France,
Spain,
Italy and
England,
with some Gouda,
and a few Swiss ones.

Just look at the number of cheeses traditionally created by the first four countries there.

Ireland's lovely, but I don't know of any great number of original cheeses from there, though I'm sure there will be some. Irish cheddar, like Candian cheddar, really does NOT count.

Oh, and some rather good american inventions too, like Humboldt Fog. but then that's not Yurrp.

richardhod

cheese shop

two more minor cheese countries in there I didn't know about: and I'm surprised the woot quiz zombies didn't put Norway in there before Spain. And Austria before France.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
richardhod wrote:Quite
what a stupid, decorateing ignorant set of choices they were. Gernamy, for decorate's sake?!! And Denmark, my ass, as if Danish blue is a real cheese nowadays and they're known for anything else. Go to a good modern cheese shop anywhere, particuarly in the USA, and they will have a good range of traditional cheeses from
France,
Spain,
Italy and
England,
with some Gouda,
and a few Swiss ones.

Just look at the number of cheeses traditionally created by the first four countries there.

Ireland's lovely, but I don't know of any great number of original cheeses from there, though I'm sure there will be some. Irish cheddar, like Candian cheddar, really does NOT count.

Oh, and some rather good american inventions too, like Humboldt Fog. but then that's not Yurrp.

I can honestly say I didn't know they made Cheese in Germany. In fact, I was fairly certain, up to this point, that was the whole reason they kept invading France, they ran out of cheese.

And anyone who voted France over Italy is on my list. It's a fairly long list, and I doubt I'll ever do anything with it, but they're on it!

As soon as I find a pen.

And motivation to make a list.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ajmyers87

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajmyers87
bhodilee wrote:I can honestly say I didn't know they made Cheese in Germany. In fact, I was fairly certain, up to this point, that was the whole reason they kept invading France, they ran out of cheese.

And anyone who voted France over Italy is on my list. It's a fairly long list, and I doubt I'll ever do anything with it, but they're on it!

As soon as I find a pen.

Consider me on your list. France completely dominates in the cheese and wine making department. If it weren't for Belgian beers and my rent, France would be receiving almost all my spending money due to these products.

ladyluck713

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ladyluck713

Say what you will about Irish cheese and its non-countability.. it's seriously at the top of my list, but it's a long list and there are a good handful that are right there at the top. France - agreed on the cheese. Italy - agreed on the cheese and the wine.
Spain - damn must try cheese from Spain but cudos on the wine and the olives!! Talking about this is making me wish it were long past 0800 hours!

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Milk rots equally around the world.

But for pairing with wine I'll choose France. Is woot! funding out cheese and wine European Vacation?! ;-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ajmyers87 wrote:Consider me on your list. France completely dominates in the cheese and wine making department. If it weren't for Belgian beers and my rent, France would be receiving almost all my spending money due to these products.

Don't forget about surrendering. They've got a stranglehold on that market...well actually no, before a stranglehold is applied they usually wilt.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Scottish.

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r

Living in Germany for a summer, I did encounter some seriously good cheeses. But Italy still has my vote. Mmm, the mozzarella!

stargatesg2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargatesg2

English Stilton is CHEESE #1! Between that and the Chilton Valley Winery, France (while it has plenty to offer) can get off it's high horse.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere
bhodilee wrote:I can honestly say I didn't know they made Cheese in Germany. In fact, I was fairly certain, up to this point, that was the whole reason they kept invading France, they ran out of cheese.

As soon as I find a pen.

lol i like the invasion theory.
France is well known for its cheese, indeed there is nowhere in the world with such a variety and love for it. I have nothing against Ireland, Czech, Venezuela, Austria and other places which I'm sure make lovely cheese, but
I suppose I'm most annoyed that the fools left out the country which INVENTED cheddar, not to mention ..... cue again John Cleese

___

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

Other: Fromunda

It can be from any country, but Fromunda cheese is the best!

;-)

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

gregreichelt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregreichelt

Wisconsin! Oops, that's not in Europe.

jboon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jboon

Spain!

Tamshin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tamshin

My recent favorite is Dubliner cheddar.

agbriel25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agbriel25

I once tried to be vegan for a day, until I started cutting a pear and remembered I had a wedge of Stilton in the fridge. I immediately repented.
The Irish Cheddars are my number one go-to everyday cheese, and given their quality of cheddar, I would love to try their take on manchego or Stilton.
Perhaps the omission of England and Ireland is that England never joined Europe and Ireland is on the verge of being kicked out.

richardhod

agbriel25 wrote:I once tried to be vegan for a day, until I started cutting a pear and remembered I had a wedge of Stilton in the fridge. I immediately repented.
The Irish Cheddars are my number one go-to everyday cheese, and given their quality of cheddar, I would love to try their take on manchego or Stilton.
Perhaps the omission of England and Ireland is that England never joined Europe and Ireland is on the verge of being kicked out.

glad you repented the daftness of vganism.

But you seriously need a politics / history lesson.