True Fabrications Tabletop Decanter
$14.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: New
PRODUCT: 1 Tabletop Decanter

Product website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

This is what I've been waiting for!
In for one.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Folks this is a great deal!

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

i don't know about the rest of you, but my wine has never come with any canters.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

I can not even begin to count the number of times I've wanted a decanter to pop up! Gift Week is about to become my favorite week of the year!!! Thanks Woot!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Talesin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Talesin

Methinks someone writing the ad copy just liked writing the word 'punt'. Seriously, it's in the list of benefits like five or six times.

Tempted to get one of these for use as a vase, color the water and put a lightbulb up under it, thanks to the punt.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Yay. Been wanting this for a while now. By the time I got around to decide to buy one, WD had taken the link off of his signature.

harmonious1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages harmonious1

Yippee!

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Does anyone have any experience with this decanter? It seems too good to be true, with a price like this.

fyredriftwood

quality posts: 11 Private Messages fyredriftwood

What a steal of a deal - nearly 50% off retail price!
Company Site - retails $29.95

I'm definitely in for one. Had this on my xmas list and now I can get it early!

Woot List:
5 x Burgandy Olfactory Center
5 x shirt.woot
11 x Misc. Woots

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

Beautiful. I love the simple lines - but it's still eye catching. And affordable - nice job woot!

bongofett

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bongofett
Cesare wrote:True Fabrications Tabletop Decanter
$14.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: New
PRODUCT: 1 Tabletop Decanter

Product website

Do! Make! Say! Think!

Badgers or Chipmunks | Badgers or Chipmunks |
iRobot Roomba Random Crap Screaming Mini Monkey Ion Audio Turntable Digital Flip Ultra Camcorder

djalliduck

quality posts: 23 Private Messages djalliduck

I always thought the space at the bottom was either to 1) look 'fancy' (read: decorative frufru) and 2) decrease the actual volume of the liquid and allow the company to charge you the same amount based on the size of the glass.

How interesting to know that "...The deep punt in the base works by increasing the surface area to entice the rich flavors and aromas out of the wine. This decanter works to improve your wine experience and features an angled mouth to increase the air exposure."

I love learning new, random things!

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

Beats the pants out of the pour through plastic gadgets.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

llrpurch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages llrpurch
Talesin wrote:Tempted to get one of these for use as a vase, color the water and put a lightbulb up under it, thanks to the punt.

What an awesome idea, Talesin!! Just might have to ponder of getting some of these now. Got more normal decanters than I can ever use, end up being flower vases, but the punt light idea is terrific! Thanks for sharin'.

zsinix

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zsinix

Uhm, I hate to be the party-pooper here, but increasing the surface area of a liquid only increases the rate of aeration/"breathing" if the increased surface is actually exposed to air. Otherwise, you could just as easily aerate your wine in a very long and skinny decanter.

Beautiful design though, pretty tempted just to buy it for the eye-appeal alone.

mkorona

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mkorona

I have never decanted wine and am really just getting in to drinking "better" (i.e. not two buck chuck) wine on a regular basis, but can I make the assumption that if you decant a bottle of wine you should plan on consuming the whole bottle that evening?

In for two already, just want to make sure I use it correctly when I get it!

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg
mkorona wrote:...can I make the assumption that if you decant a bottle of wine you should plan on consuming the whole bottle that evening?

Ain't nothing a funnel and wine vacuum can't handle.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

ezowie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ezowie

Certainly no Riedel, but hell, you could buy 11 of these for the price of a similar look!

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-o-wine-decanter.asp

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

If anyone has one of these, can you answer:

Where is it made?
Is it dishwasher safe?

I doubt I would put it in the dishwasher due to its size anyway, but I'd like to know. The product website has remarkably little useful information.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

Maniac11919

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Maniac11919

I actually run a wine store on the daily, and we sell quite a lot of True Fabrication's... er... well... fabrications...

Now, it's true that they make a few quality products, but from my understanding of it, they actually are more of a distributor of goods from China moreso than a "fabricator" of them. However, I have had some issues with a few of their other decanters for several reasons I list below:

1. Average craftsmanship.

Uncertain as to whether these are hand-blown or not, the decanters we have at my store are the "duck decanters" and they seem to have a number of imperfections on nearly all of them. Most notable, there are small (sometimes very very tiny, sometimes dot-of-an-"i" tiny) but definitely noticeable chips in the interior & exterior rim of the pouring spout. Some also have a somewhat deformed or odly shappen pouring spout, though I doubt one would have similar problems with this model.

They also are somewhat uneven in the width of the glass around the sides. Unlike a nice wine glass, looking through a decanter will cause noticeable distortion of whatever is behind it as it rotates. Perhaps not altogether too terrible, but noticeable to the observant onlooker.

2. Perhaps more importantly, packing is often lack-luster. 2/5 of the duck decanters I mentioned earlier arrived this week with broken spouts from insufficient packing materials. The spouts of all but one unit had actually pierced the side of the boxes they were shipped in, two breaking in the process.

Other items by true come in variable qualities. Some look very good to us online, for us only to have them arrive looking much less desirable in person to sit on the shelves for months. Others look as good or better than their online showcase counterparts, so it's a mixed bag.

Perhaps most notably on the good side of the company is their customer service, as they often refund goods that arrive damaged or otherwise assuage our woes, keeping us fairly happy customers. However, not having that relationship with the company could be quite detrimental on the average Woot purchaser.

All that being said, I genuinely feel these decanters to be somewhat of a gamble for all you folks out there. Most items I sell by true I actually open the packages to ensure I'm not going to sell something people will return. We DO have a substantial number of defects, so of course, YMMV.

For all of you that do plan to buy, good luck, and with it, may you have a fantastic looking decanter that lasts for years... Certainly there are many of our customers who are thoroughly satisfied with their products.

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
mikegberg wrote:Where is it made?

+1. Country of origin? Previous decanters on woot have been made in Poland. I am holding out hope it's not made where I think it was.

danila

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danila
mikegberg wrote:If anyone has one of these, can you answer:

Where is it made?
Is it dishwasher safe?

I doubt I would put it in the dishwasher due to its size anyway, but I'd like to know. The product website has remarkably little useful information.

No, this will not be dishwasher safe.

You can buy a decanter cleaning brush such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Decanter-Cleaner-Brush-long/dp/B002T4F8AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322807497&sr=8-1

Or Riedel cleaning beads like these, for swirling around in the decanter along with warm water and a mild detergent:
http://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Bottle-Cleaner-1-75-Inch-Container/dp/B000ESWSS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1322807497&sr=8-2

Otherwise, what also works well is just using warm water and mild dish detergent without the beads. Swirl it around vigorously (without letting it fly out of your hands and smashing and/or killing someone) and making absolutely sure that you've gotten all of the detergent out at the end. Leftover detergent is very bad for the next wine you pour in. Also, make sure to wash right after use.

No matter which method you use for cleaning, dry the decanter upside down in a decanter-drying rack thingamabob, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Oenophilia-Wine-Decanter-Drying-Stand/dp/B001FTSJQM/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322807682&sr=1-1

Another thing to note... decanters can be great for a lot of young red wines, but they're not good for all red wines, even young-ish red ones. And a good idea is to taste a little of the wine out of the bottle before you decant, so you can start to get an idea of when it's better to decant and when not.

Maniac11919

mikegberg wrote:If anyone has one of these, can you answer:

Where is it made?
Is it dishwasher safe?

I definitely would not put it in the dishwasher, since, like I said, the interior and exterior parts of the rim of their decanters tend to chip.

Very, very likely (if not certainly) made in China, like the vast majority (if not all) of True's products.

richmofo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages richmofo

In for 3. Perfect for gifts for people you don't know that well.

Maniac11919

mkorona wrote:I have never decanted wine and am really just getting in to drinking "better" (i.e. not two buck chuck) wine on a regular basis, but can I make the assumption that if you decant a bottle of wine you should plan on consuming the whole bottle that evening?

In for two already, just want to make sure I use it correctly when I get it!

I typically do not recommend decanting if not planning to drink an entire bottle. The more air exposure the wine gets, the faster it will go bad. That being said, should you have some method of "corking" your decanter, you may be able to get away with drinking the rest the night/day after opening, but typically it's not a grand idea.

You definitely don't want to pour it back into the bottle not only for the obvious mess it might make, but also for the fact that you'll be further disturbing and thus oxidizing the wine, shortening its lifespan even further.

For a better "put the cork back in and drink it this weekend" solution, use a bottle-top (or even better a standalone/wine-glass-top) aerator as this will prevent unnecessary oxidation while still opening up the wine for your greater enjoyment (in most cases). These solutions also let you try aerated and unaerated wines side-by-side without only pouring half a bottle in the decanter.

Alternatively to all of that however, you could just pour only half the bottle (or whatever you plan to drink) in the decanter... Though that still creates the problem of wanting that decanted wine right now when it's all gone... One possible solution to that however: you might not care so much after that 2nd glass ;)

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

What's the capacity of these in real money? 50 Fluid ounces is no good to me when my bottles are 750ml each! Looks as if "half-full" provides the best surface area aeration in decanter anyway.

richardhod

pinchecat wrote:i don't know about the rest of you, but my wine has never come with any canters.

LOL very good. now why have I never in my life thought of that one. Now I'll have to credit you when I steal it!

beautybark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beautybark

Here we go again. Why can't beverage purveyors (and decanters) decide on a unit of measurement. Is 50 ounces a standard bottle? A jeroboam? A Fifth? A quart? Maybe a Litre? How many drams is that? I'm so confused.

ME and my sparrow

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
zsinix wrote:Uhm, I hate to be the party-pooper here, but increasing the surface area of a liquid only increases the rate of aeration/"breathing" if the increased surface is actually exposed to air. Otherwise, you could just as easily aerate your wine in a very long and skinny decanter.

Beautiful design though, pretty tempted just to buy it for the eye-appeal alone.

I agree. The deep punt really has no functional value for aerating the wine. Just an unnecessary part of the design.

Krumlov

quality posts: 44 Private Messages Krumlov

Do these work better for Red or White wine?

Need me some Boxes Of Condoms!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
beautybark wrote:Here we go again. Why can't beverage purveyors (and decanters) decide on a unit of measurement. Is 50 ounces a standard bottle? A jeroboam? A Fifth? A quart? Maybe a Litre? How many drams is that? I'm so confused.

A standard bottle is slightly more than 25oz. A magnum is twice the size of a standard bottle. Therefore, this will hold a magnum...if you drink a little out of the bottle first

I don't put more than a standard bottle in my decanter anyways. The less wine in the decanter, the higher your surface to volume ratio.

richardhod

speedoo wrote:I agree. The deep punt really has no functional value for aerating the wine. Just an unnecessary part of the design.

Except perhaps, if we're being generous, to help in the aeration if you swirl the decanter a bit, as a rock on the seashore might, should you need to aerate your sea water

jonianne29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonianne29
beautybark wrote:Here we go again. Why can't beverage purveyors (and decanters) decide on a unit of measurement. Is 50 ounces a standard bottle? A jeroboam? A Fifth? A quart? Maybe a Litre? How many drams is that? I'm so confused.

Drams - ha! Just remember: One fluid ounce is about 30 ml. Ajrod27 is correct - a standard bottle is 750 ml which is about 25 ounces.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
zsinix wrote:Uhm, I hate to be the party-pooper here, but increasing the surface area of a liquid only increases the rate of aeration/"breathing" if the increased surface is actually exposed to air. Otherwise, you could just as easily aerate your wine in a very long and skinny decanter.

Yeah, that was bothering me too. With the wine pushed up the narrowing body of the decanter (by the helpful punt), it seems the surface area exposed to the air may actually be reduced.
Other than the the questionable marketing hyperbole, it looks like a really nice deal.

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween
richardhod wrote:What's the capacity of these in real money? 50 Fluid ounces is no good to me when my bottles are 750ml each! Looks as if "half-full" provides the best surface area aeration in decanter anyway.

50 fl Oz is 1478ml so 1 standard bottle of wine would give you the 1/2 full optimum aeration.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
danila wrote:No, this will not be dishwasher safe.

Can you explain why it's not dishwasher safe? I understand that you may not want to put in in the dishwasher because it might break, but it's made of glass, how can it not be dishwasher safe?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
Flybranda wrote:Yeah, that was bothering me too. With the wine pushed up the narrowing body of the decanter (by the helpful punt), it seems the surface area exposed to the air may actually be reduced.
Other than the the questionable marketing hyperbole, it looks like a really nice deal.

If I'm not mistaken, the punt (assuming the height is sufficient) should serve to disperse and aerate the wine as it is poured into the decanter (again, assuming the wine is poured directly on top the punt). From decanters I've seen in the past, the punt should serve to have a fountain effect aerating the wine better as it is poured in, instead of just being poured in one solid stream (such as a sink). IMHO, that is.

zeus904

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeus904

In for one....and this will be my first! I'm fairly new to the wine scene but am learning a ton just from wine.woot!