PRODUCT: 1 750ml bottle Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo

Product Website

Previous offers:
12/2/10
12/4/09

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

This olive oil rocks! I just picked up three. This is my third year in a row. The cheese threw me off but I know the name. This is the freshest oil I've gotten. I smell the balsamic coming soon.

coolchris160

quality posts: 50 Private Messages coolchris160

I think the actual product being sold today should look something like this:

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Yes, there seems to be an issue with the pic vs. description. Please stand by. BTW, the nanobugs over on the other side are pretty cool...

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

awgPablo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages awgPablo

I figure you've created this "750ml wedge of cheese" comment monster yourselves, Woot-folk. You don't attract a huge community drawn to wacky humor and not get a big string of hilarious posts like this on even the slightest mishap.

Really funny all around.

My wife and I are really wanting to try the cheese, but I've refreshed 50 times hoping to find out if it's cheese or oil you're selling today. The suspense is immense.

My new signature... now absent of a link to my website. Oops.

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

How do you know they are not selling the cutting board? Now that would make a great gift.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Damn almost passed this up...thought it was cheese!

Thank you Woot love it!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

susanrm

quality posts: 15 Private Messages susanrm

"Isn't this a cheese shop?"

"Yes it is."

"Well why don't you have any bloody cheese then?"

*Honest 200 Member* Sept. 2012 x2

jaykid007

The olive oil wins!

sazar001

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sazar001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5PweoQ5oC4

Fast forward to 5:02

susanrm

quality posts: 15 Private Messages susanrm

Ha ha - the email went out with cheese too! There will be a whole new wave of disappointed cheese-expecters when they open their email in the morning. :-)

*Honest 200 Member* Sept. 2012 x2

llrpurch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages llrpurch

YEAH!!!!
We get our annual bottle of amazingly yummy, NOT for cooking, freshly squeezed and consume in 2 months or less goodness that is Olivestri Siloro!
I can only afford one bottle this year but we will savor it on Christmas morning with fresh bread, a chunk of Reggiano and some of that lovely Botte Piccola Balsamic we still have from last year.

Thank You Woot Gods!

wjcandee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wjcandee

Darn it. I would have ordered the cheese just from the picture in the email. Is it coming later this week? Can we have a hint at least? I'm actually pretty happy with the fancy Kirkland olive oil from Costco... (Not the cheapo stuff but the stuff in the fancy bottle.) But CHEESE I would buy...

viscosity2004

quality posts: 7 Private Messages viscosity2004

Thinking about giving this as a Christmas gift; how quickly should this olive oil be consumed? (Sounds like it has a fairly short shelf life)

pinchecat

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pinchecat

i am disappointed in woot for cheese-related comment removal.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
pinchecat wrote:i am disappointed in woot for cheese-related comment removal.

It sure makes it a lot easier to discuss today's woot, though.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

In for my usual THREE...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

parasyte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parasyte
susanrm wrote:Ha ha - the email went out with cheese too! There will be a whole new wave of disappointed cheese-expecters when they open their email in the morning. :-)

I saw the email and jumped at the chance to get a wedge of delicious cheese - and then saw the actual deal was for this fantastic oil! I reached for my credit card even faster because this is far better than the cheese could have ever been.

In short, buy this oil.

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

Damn, as others mentioned i came for the cheese. I'm hoping for woot to put up a nice aged cheese (cheddar or something with some bite to it).

Also as long as i'm making wishes here. Please offer beer on here once in a while.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 38 Private Messages jiggersgreen

How long will it keep and what is the best method for storing?

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
greydevil wrote:
Also as long as i'm making wishes here. Please offer beer on here once in a while.

beer.woot has a nice ring to it.

bronwynd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bronwynd

YAY! In for three!!!

I have been checking for this every day for the last month, except *one day* when I forgot, woke up the next morning and freaked out badly and had to go check what I'd missed just to make sure this wasn't it!

I picked this up last year, and only got one bottle figuring "worth a try".

I cannot correct that mistake, but I can prevent myself from making that mistake ever again.

Souka

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Souka

I tried a few glasses of this the other day... it's pretty good!

Didn't like what happened the next day in the bathroom, but it was worth it!

coolchris160

llrpurch wrote:....edited... but we will savor it on Christmas morning with fresh bread, a chunk of Reggiano and some of that lovely Botte Piccola Balsamic we still have from last year.

Thank You Woot Gods!

I'm a starving pilgrim ... (darn woot filter) n-o-o-b when it comes to premium olive oil. Can anyone recommend different ways to enjoy this to it's fullest?

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
coolchris160 wrote:I'm a starving pilgrim ... (darn woot filter) n-o-o-b when it comes to premium olive oil. Can anyone recommend different ways to enjoy this to it's fullest?

This is one of those olive oils where you can really taste the quality, so simple is best, where you can appreciate its goodness. I would not use it for a salad dressing. Maybe for a finishing oil where you drizzle a bit over the top. Or for dipping bread. It is most marvelous stuff.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

coolchris160

I did some reading up on the past offerings and found some answers to my question. Thanks to the good ol' NightGhost.

NightGhost wrote:Prof. Steve Holzinger's Olive Oil Recipes

Olive Oil links

oliveoilsource.com

Olive Oil Recipes at DaVero

I bet this would make an amazing Basil Pesto...

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/article/basil-pesto

coolchris160

This should clear things up for a lot of people...

CasaDeCase wrote:OK, Shelf life: This oil will retain its big bloom and bright flavors for at least a month - after that it will still be great olive oil, just a lot more tame. On the other hand, the bright green color will turn to golden shortly after the bottle is opened and the oil is exposed to air - but the flavor will not change. We sell this oil to lots of folks in 5 liter tins which they use over a much longer time frame. There is a huge amount of sediment in the oil which settles out in the bottom of the tin (in the bottle, too, but much less, obviously). Here is a link to an explanation about the sediment and longevity of the oil. Longevity of the oil.

psm321

quality posts: 22 Private Messages psm321

So, will I actually notice the difference between this and regular store "extra virgin" olive oil if I'm not a foodie?

As data points to help you make your decision:
- When I ordered some fancy cheese off of here that everyone raved about, my reaction was "yummy, tastes like cheese! (same as say Kraft)"
- When I ordered the truffle butter recently, my reaction was "butter! with a vague mushroomy flavor that's nothing special"

So, should I get this? Will I say "yummy, tastes like olive oil!", or "yummy, this is special!!!!"

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil
psm321 wrote:So, will I actually notice the difference between this and regular store "extra virgin" olive oil if I'm not a foodie?

As data points to help you make your decision:
- When I ordered some fancy cheese off of here that everyone raved about, my reaction was "yummy, tastes like cheese! (same as say Kraft)"
- When I ordered the truffle butter recently, my reaction was "butter! with a vague mushroomy flavor that's nothing special"

So, should I get this? Will I say "yummy, tastes like olive oil!", or "yummy, this is special!!!!"

Generally makes a big difference if you take the time to pair up the ingredients with foods that will complement it greatly. If you're not big into cooking, then some of the woot offerings might fall a bit flat.

However olive oil is easy to pair up with foods. Someone in some posts above linked some resources you should check out for foods and whatnot.

psm321

quality posts: 22 Private Messages psm321

Another data point: I can't tell the difference between a Hershey bar and fancy milk chocolate UNLESS it's the kind with some sort of filling or like a Ferrero Rocher or the chocolate with salt crystals in it (yum!). But in those cases I don't think I'm noticing a difference in the chocolate itself still, just liking the filling. (Obviously I do taste a difference when I get like a 80% cacao bar or something, but I don't like that...)

I also don't taste a difference between HFCS Coke and cane sugar Coke.

Though I think I'm going to give this a try anyway... desperate to find something food-related that I can be snobbish about :-P

minty0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages minty0
jaykid007 wrote:This olive oil rocks! I just picked up three. This is my third year in a row. The cheese threw me off but I know the name. This is the freshest oil I've gotten. I smell the balsamic coming soon.

Gee, I hope so. I'm waiting for it myself.

Secretcow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Secretcow

Hey, is this a big difference from Costco's Kirkland First Cold Pressed Olive Oil, like taste wise? I really like balsamic vinegar + olive oil and bread. Like reallllyy like it. Would this oil be really dif though, like worth the price (it's like $15 at costco).

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
llrpurch wrote:YEAH!!!!
We get our annual bottle of amazingly yummy, NOT for cooking, freshly squeezed and consume in 2 months or less goodness that is Olivestri Siloro!

This is your Annual Bottle and it must be consumed with in 2 months... must be a bummer the remaining 10 months of the year!?

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
collinvh wrote:beer.woot has a nice ring to it.

I'll cast *my* vote for brew.woot! (beer.woot's OK, too )

darthemerald

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darthemerald

Just convert wine.woot to boozy.woot...

llrpurch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages llrpurch
compudata wrote:This is your Annual Bottle and it must be consumed with in 2 months... must be a bummer the remaining 10 months of the year!?

Yeah, it is a major bummer. This is only released once a year, late November. We have normal good olive oil available year round but this stuff? It's a very VERY special oil, to be savored rather than used like a typical cooking or salad type EVOO. It's strictly for dunking home made breads for the holidays here.
YUM!!!

jaykid007

jiggersgreen wrote:How long will it keep and what is the best method for storing?

We have been last years for almost a year now. It's almost gone. We used one bottle for cooking etc. still good

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose

Not a spectacular deal on price alone, but shipping to my house is $15+ on the company website. I'm in for one.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

In for one, wouldnt want to get more and have it sit. Too bad I don't know anyone besides my wife to gives this as a gift to.
But this year we will give it as soon as we get it, so as to use it at it's peak