quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

2008 Tetra Napa Valley Red Wine - 2 Pack

$109.99 + $5 shipping

CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 2 2008 Tetra Napa Valley Red Blend
CT Links above

Winery Website

Facebook

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Wow never thought w.woot would offer a Tetra Pak of wine...

please laugh

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I think I might need two black ties for today's deal.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

lassow

Is this the highest % of Petite Verdot offered in a w.woot selection other than a straight up Petite Verdot? Intriguing.

lassow

Don't tell the Aussies or South Americans Malbec isn't "noble."

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

What does Petit Verdot bring to the wine? I'm unfamiliar with it outside of Champagne. Does it lighten the mix? Add more structure? Is it a high sugar grape or low?

Whats the low down?

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
lassow wrote:Wow never thought w.woot would offer a Tetra Pak of wine...

please laugh

I smiled. One of the most enjoyable glasses of wine I've had was from a tetra pak box and enjoyed from a plastic cup. It was on top of Mount Rose with the woman who agreed to marry me on that day. She brought the wine, which just solidified the deal!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

At only 15% off before shipping ($65 from website) this doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. Hard to justify a nearly $60 bottle with so many other awesome QPR wines. Although it's always nice to see ww mixing it up and providing a deal for the high rollers.

SmilingBoognish

Would love to hear from the winemakers if they think this wine a good candidate for my son's 21st birthday? He was born in 2008...

lassow

SmilingBoognish wrote:I smiled. One of the most enjoyable glasses of wine I've had was from a tetra pak box and enjoyed from a plastic cup. It was on top of Mount Rose with the woman who agreed to marry me on that day. She brought the wine, which just solidified the deal!

I hope you are cellaring some of that stuff just to reflect on a great memory and have a good laugh some day!

lassow

We can deduce from the wine map so far that Mill is from Florida

greggarcia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greggarcia
redwinefan wrote:I think I might need two black ties for today's deal.

better add a monocle and a top-hat too...

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb
lassow wrote:Is this the highest % of Petite Verdot offered in a w.woot selection other than a straight up Petite Verdot? Intriguing.

Off the top of my head the Titus Lot 1 that was offered a few years back (that I bought) is 30% PV. I'm sure there were probably others that were higher.

Samus

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
jplamb wrote:Off the top of my head the Titus Lot 1 that was offered a few years back (that I bought) is 30% PV. I'm sure there were probably others that were higher.

This stuff might be too classy for wine.woot!

parasanger

quality posts: 4 Private Messages parasanger
SmilingBoognish wrote:Would love to hear from the winemakers if they think this wine a good candidate for my son's 21st birthday? He was born in 2008...

The website says the 07 should age for 15 to 20 years...

SmilingBoognish

lassow wrote:I hope you are cellaring some of that stuff just to reflect on a great memory and have a good laugh some day!

We took a picture - figured it would last longer. ;)

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

This may well be the most expensive per bottle price of wine on wine.woot ever!?!?!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
Igannon wrote:What does Petit Verdot bring to the wine? I'm unfamiliar with it outside of Champagne. Does it lighten the mix? Add more structure? Is it a high sugar grape or low?

Whats the low down?

PV is a big grape, adds a bunch of structure and tannin to the wine.

For Champagne you are probably thinking of Pinot Meunier...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Igannon wrote:What does Petit Verdot bring to the wine? I'm unfamiliar with it outside of Champagne. Does it lighten the mix? Add more structure? Is it a high sugar grape or low?

Whats the low down?

Petit Verdot adds structure, color, and it's own specific aromatics. The grapes are small (hence the first part of the name) which means a higher skin to juice ratio; one factor in the high tannins and the deep color (most red wine gets its color from the skins, more skin means deeper color all else being equal). Violets and maybe graphite are frequent descriptors for the aroma.

Petit Verdot is not used in Champagne (and Champagne is all the better for it, I'm sure). The only black grapes in Champagne are Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier. I imagine it's the latter that was in your head. Rarely found outside of Champagne (and not all that often in it, for that matter).

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
bsevern wrote:This may well be the most expensive per bottle price of wine on wine.woot ever!?!?!

No. At $55/bottle, not even close.

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen

No CT notes on the '08 vintage. One positive review of the '06 and one negative review of the '07.

This is the opposite of the industry reviews I found; Wine Enthusiast scores the '06 at 85 pts. calling it a "good wine for everyday fare" (sure, if your everyday fare also includes filet mignon and caviar!)

Robert Parker gave the '07 a rating of 94, saying "The 2007 is stunning, opaque purple-colored, with plenty of crème de cassis, creosote, camphor, incense, subtle oak, licorice and oodles of black fruits, the wine has superb purity, full bodied texture, beautiful richness and depth, and a finish that goes on for least 40+ seconds. This blend of 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, and the rest Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot should age nicely."

Note that the '08 has only 49% Cab Sauv and a greatly increased percentage of Petite Verdot (with a little extra shot of Merlot), compared to the '07 vintage.

EDIT: As per the Vintner's Voicemail, the '08 did receive a score of 94 from Wine Enthusiast magazine.

Pulled out my copy and here's what it says; "Very delicious and luscious, but no mere fruit bomb. It has the tannic-acidic structure and dryness to make it refined, but explodes on the palate with blackberry, chocolate, cassis, anise and sweet, smoky cedar flavors that are deep and long. Tastes important and first rate."

I was thinking that this would be an easy "pass" for me when I first saw it, based on the price and the fact that I have 3 orders in the pipeline already (and have received 4 others within the last 2 weeks) but now I am having second thoughts. Guess I'll sleep on it...

SmilingBoognish

parasanger wrote:The website says the 07 should age for 15 to 20 years...

Yep - and in addition to the fact that vintage can play a big role in how well a wine ages, the winemaker's voice mail said the blend is different every year.

Tunes4u

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tunes4u

Oh Boy!

In for 3!!!!!

10.99 for two!!!!

Oh....wait......

nevermind.

Wish I couldda been a rat for this one!

But nooooooo.....

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking wine: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Will we be getting an appearance from xpinotguy today?

I first tasted this wine when I visited Tetra/Expression's tasting room in January of this year and I was very pleased with the service as well as the wines offered. The Tetra wine was young and obviously needed some aeration time when we tasted, it was quite tight. However it being tight, I could still taste quite a bit of complexity and balance; it felt like it was more in a dumb phase I guess. It was a very delicious wine, but at the time the price was $80/bottle (iirc) which was just a bit more that I was willing to pay at the time.

Since then, Tetra was offered either here at woot or lot18 and I purchased 2 bottles at a discounted price. I have yet to open these as I fear infanticide and feel that these deserve at least a good 5 years before opening the first one.

I would be in on this one if money was so uncertain for me at this point.

CT Updating, please wait....

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas
Tunes4u wrote:Oh Boy!

In for 3!!!!!

10.99 for two!!!!

Oh....wait......

nevermind.

Wish I couldda been a rat for this one!

But nooooooo.....

LMAO

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma

Just to be sure... we'll be getting two FULL bottles, right?

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

For the winery, the standard questions, particularly for an offer that hints at some significant aging potential:

TA, pH, & recommended cellaring window please

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
lassow wrote:We can deduce from the wine map so far that Mill is from Florida

And he has an awesome wine collection. (I almost said cellar but if he is in Florida I doubt if he has a cellar)

kat8480

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kat8480

I told you I like Napa and Sonoma reds. So you send me that Panther Piss from Argentina to be a Wine Rat for. Well I ate the cheese now hows about a "GOOD" wine to wash the poison down for my birthday?

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

The 06 and 07 are now selling for $110 each on the Tetra website. The 08 was originally selling for $80 and is now $65 on the Tetra website...$55 on woot. What does this price differential tell you about this 08 vintage?...Hmmm!!...Dumping the juice??...I would JUMP on either the 06 or 07 at this woot price and would be in for 3....PASS!!!

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween

At 15% discount this is not a deal worthy of Woot.

I think Woot's purchasing department is on strike or got a strike, to the head...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

jcerny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcerny
iByron wrote:Petit Violets and maybe graphite are frequent descriptors for the aroma.

iByron

Interesting. I wasn't aware graphite had much of an aroma.

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon
klezman wrote:PV is a big grape, adds a bunch of structure and tannin to the wine.

For Champagne you are probably thinking of Pinot Meunier...

Ah yes. Pinot Meunier. I suppose that just goes to show how much I have yet to learn about such things.

Thanks for the reply!

katgirl985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katgirl985

What I want to know is who in the H-E-double hockey sticks dropped a cork in a glass of $55/bottle wine?

EGADS!

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Big day, 2 deliveries from the last wine woot on schedule;
the Random 12 pac from Truchard & Arbios Cellers Alex Vally 3 pack. Yahoo !!!

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
bobrush12866 wrote:The 06 and 07 are now selling for $110 each on the Tetra website. The 08 was originally selling for $80 and is now $65 on the Tetra website...$55 on woot. What does this price differential tell you about this 08 vintage?...Hmmm!!...Dumping the juice??...I would JUMP on either the 06 or 07 at this woot price and would be in for 3....PASS!!!

Twice as many cases made in 2008 than 2006. Higher volume, lower price? I too think the woot discount today is pretty weak from the $65 on the website. But here's a chance to try just two bottles instead of 6 you'd have to get from the winery. Maybe 08 was not as good as 06 or 07 but maybe its not worse by half?

Per Tetra website....
Get your allocation.
2006 - Only 298 cases made.

2007 - Only 400 cases made.

2008 - Only 600 cases made. (not yet released)

2009, 2010 - Aging nicely in French Oak...

As quantities are highly limited, we offer Tetra by allocation only to members of our Tetra List. The minimum allocation size is 6-750ml bottles. Maximum size allowed is one case. (12-750ml bottles)

Cost per 6-pack: $660 + shipping
Cost per case: $1320 + shipping

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy

Only 20 states and the District of Corruption....

wheat grass!

B.S.!

Wishbones? Totally Fun!!

Just wanted to see what the woot interpretations for my vulgar thesauras....

They missed one....LOL!

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

I ordered one two pack from last February (the 06 and 07), which I think sold for $129. I opened the 06, which was silky smooth. Reminded me of the 06 Blue Rock that was also offered at about the same time. I am cellaring the 07 for several more years. Given that in general, the 08 Napa vintage is almost as good as the 07, I am leaning toward clicking on the big yellow button.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Samus wrote:This stuff might be too classy for wine.woot!

Good QPR is Good QPR no matter the price. Wooters! do clean up very well, I've seen many of you this year!

WineDavid was my Boss!