0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

meyer22

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meyer22

Okay, Im intrigued. Anyone have any specific knowledge of this winery or vintages?

Cesare

quality posts: 1612 Private Messages Cesare

Suncé Winery & Vineyard Mixed Bordeaux Library - 12 Pack
$169.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCTS:
3 2002 North Coast Meritage
3 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Clear Lake– W. Strycker Vineyard
3 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon, Russian River Valley– Hedin Vineyard
3 2004 North Coast Merlot – Wild Hare Vineyard
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

puffpuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puffpuff

hi was wondering why they recommend a business address for shipping?

thatgrrl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages thatgrrl

Mmmm. A library I can drink! While reading. In my library.

cdutley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdutley
puffpuff wrote:hi was wondering why they recommend a business address for shipping?

Alcohol shipments require an adult signature. Therefore, there's more likely to be an adult to sign for the wine at a business than at a home.

meggs1019

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meggs1019
puffpuff wrote:hi was wondering why they recommend a business address for shipping?

because it has to be signed for. so there is more of a chance of someone being there if it is at a bussiness.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

That's to ensure someone will be "home" to sign for the delivery. No big deal w/Fedex since they will call a day ahead to notify you of drop-off... of course, there's no guarantee when they will arrive.

euphonywho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages euphonywho

Most businesses a) have someone there during normal business (delivery) hours and 2) that person will be over 21 and so can sign for the package.

Whether or not they're intoxicated is another story!

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Because there is typicaly someone there to receive the package who is over 21 and is not visibly drunk vs. attempting to deliver to your home that is more than likely vacant or possibly denying delivery to the child or drunk who answers the door.

puffpuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puffpuff

thanks for the fast replies guys! will make a great x-mas gift for many people on my list, just what i was looking for!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Just a reminder that this Saturday is the RAID!!

Raid on zTimBz & Sparky's Wine Lockers info.

So if you are in Southern California, this is the time to visit those internet weirdos!!

end

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

meggs1019

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meggs1019

does anyone has any information about this wine? from looking at there website this is a real good deal.

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
meyer22 wrote:Okay, Im intrigued. Anyone have any specific knowledge of this winery or vintages?

Previous Woot http://wine.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=19005

Got the same case, but haven't yet popped a single one, sigh...

CT

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

Six answers (and counting!) to the shipping question, but no info on the winery. You guys are funny!

I bought a Suncé mixed pack back in Dec 2010/Jan 2011. Some were fine, but both bottles of malbec were spoiled (pretty loose corks) and replaced by woot.

I see I also had a dead merlot in that mixed case, and a brown/dead syrah, both of which I didn't bother saying anything about (I was annoyed by then at the failure rate).

Total price for that mixed case was $130, and honestly, I don't think I would do it again, much less for more money and for cabs that I basically demand be good.

fmp031000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fmp031000

Why cant i be drunk when i receive the package?

boylan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages boylan

I've bought several cases of their wine and have enjoyed them. The cellartracker notes for the cabs are on target. The wine needs to breath for 1-2 hours.

A different take on California cab.

The 2002 Meritage I haven't tried yet but we really liked a more recent vintage (2004?).

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

I bought this offering a while back and have had all 4 wines. They are not bad for the money but did not blow my socks off. I believe the Stryker Cab was the best of the lot and the Meritage the least impressive.

Where is the Vella Dry Jack cheese?

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I bought a mixed case from them a while back, it had:

2005 Suncé Meritage, Franicevic Series
2005 Suncé Merlot Trumann King's Vineyard
2006 Suncé Petite Sirah El Dorado
2005 Suncé Pinot Noir Rodella Vineyard
2008 Suncé Sangiovese Romo's Vineyard
2007 Suncé Zemlja's Blend St. Olof Vineyards

I LOVED the Pinot Noir, the Meritage was good, and the Merlot was good. I wasn't crazy about the Zemlja's blend (perhaps it needs aging?), don't think I've tried the Sangiovese or Petite Sirah yet.

What's intriguing about this case is that these wines are all nicely aged, and from my experience most 2004 California cabs are drinking very well right now, so this could be a good deal.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Used to have my shippments held for pickup at a local office, they know me as the wine guy now. But I ran into the delivery guy for my route and now he delivers it after 4pm when I'm home so I don't have to go and pick it up.

jeffhenning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffhenning

Sunce had a different mixed case on 4/19/11 with completely different wines. I didn't have any quality issues and they were all very good wines. If it were yesterday morning it would be a no brainer for me, but I've picked up two cases worth in the last two days already...

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween

It looks like if you bought these directly from the winery you would be looking at $498.00 so this deal is about 65% off.

Can't find any tasting notes other than on the winery's website.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

euphonywho

quality posts: 2 Private Messages euphonywho
fmp031000 wrote:Why cant i be drunk when i receive the package?

You might bum-rush the FedEx guy to get to your next fix? Oh wait...I'd probably do that anyway. Maybe FedEx doesn't want to get branded as an enabler?

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
tenoreprimo wrote:I bought this offering a while back and have had all 4 wines. They are not bad for the money but did not blow my socks off. I believe the Stryker Cab was the best of the lot and the Meritage the least impressive.

Bought this case a couple of months ago and I'd agree with those comments. For an average cost of $14.00 a bottle here you can do a lot worse. I'd put the Merlot as my least favorite.

Similar price point woots I enjoyed more were the Reggage Red or the Pedroncelli Cabs(also sold here as Monkey II)

genemcsween

quality posts: 3 Private Messages genemcsween

This is the same reason a bar tender is not supposed to serve you if you are obviously drunk. You can't go to the store and buy beer while drunk either; darn laws...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
brainchasm wrote:Six answers (and counting!) to the shipping question, but no info on the winery. You guys are funny!

I bought a Suncé mixed pack back in Dec 2010/Jan 2011. Some were fine, but both bottles of malbec were spoiled (pretty loose corks) and replaced by woot.

I see I also had a dead merlot in that mixed case, and a brown/dead syrah, both of which I didn't bother saying anything about (I was annoyed by then at the failure rate).

Total price for that mixed case was $130, and honestly, I don't think I would do it again, much less for more money and for cabs that I basically demand be good.

I, too, bought the mixed case of 12/27/2010 and I have to agree with you. You get what you pay for, so let the buyer beware. This case might be ok and then again it might not. I know I would never buy another wine from them again after my original purchase. Sorry Woot, just my opinion.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
fredrinaldi wrote:Used to have my shippments held for pickup at a local office, they know me as the wine guy now. But I ran into the delivery guy for my route and now he delivers it after 4pm when I'm home so I don't have to go and pick it up.

My FedEx guy came by with two boxes of wine and a third smaller box... he speculated that perhaps it was a free gift due to the quantities of wine I order! No free gift... the Vella cheese had arrived. New driver started last Friday, I've already explained delivery later in the day is optimal.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

As long as you can sign your name you should be fine. But please... don't kiss the driver.

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
jmdavidson wrote:I, too, bought the mixed case of 12/27/2010 and I have to agree with you. You get what you pay for, so let the buyer beware. This case might be ok and then again it might not. I know I would never buy another wine from them again after my original purchase. Sorry Woot, just my opinion.

I'll take the opposite view on this mixed case -- I loved it and didn't have any quality issues with the bottles or corks.

As I remember, the style of these wines is much more bold, less fruity, leaning towards Old World rustic, so if you like something like California Pinot Noir (which you can probably tell I don't) you wouldn't like these.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf
jmdavidson wrote:You get what you pay for, so let the buyer beware.

You must be new here :P

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

tervel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tervel

I have been drinking Sunce wines for nearly 8 years now and have not been disappointed. I have been very fortunate to visit their tasting room (many times) which is how I got hooked on them and having done so I have had the opportunity to taste just about every wine they have made over the past several years. I can't say that I purchase everything that they have, however I see the current offering as an outstanding value of some truly high quality wines. The Hedin Cab is a true gem as this vineyard no longer exists as is the Meritage.

there is no spoon.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
michaepf wrote:You must be new here :P

25-49 wine purchases this past year, so I have bought alot. I have no complaints about my other purchases, just the Sunce. So my referral to let the buyer beware pertains to Sunce.

knotheadusc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages knotheadusc

My husband and I love Sunce wines. If we weren't about to go on vacation, I would totally jump on this.

jeffhenning

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffhenning

Darn it. I did it. I hit the button. I'm out. Computer is shutting down. I have to go find some storage space.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: jplamb
Speed to first woot: 3m 35.917s
Last wooter to woot: jeffhenning

jwcarmichael

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwcarmichael

I've bought two cases from Sunce and been pleased with the bottles I've opened. I haven't tried them all, but remember I really liked the petite sirah even though they are usually not my favorite grapes. They do need to sit a bit after opening.

If I wasn't so full right now I'd buy another case without hesitation.

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

Having had all 4 wines I would say they are on average no more than a $12-$15 retail value/bottle.

With these single vineyard designations it is easy to think they are something special. It still gets back to the skills of the winemaker no matter where the grapes are grown.

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
elle56fitz wrote:I was just at Sunce over the weekend and this is a very god deal. The reds are bold. Sunce is renowned for their reds and their distribution is limited so you will not find this wine in any local wine shops or restaurants. This is easily about $500.00 worth of wine!!!

LOL. I remember the first offering from Sunce a while back.... what an interesting thread that turned into. Numerous shills like the one above, angry, petty sounding wine owner lady seemingly unhappy to be "giving" away their wine, angry no sell out. Those were the good old days.

This is not bad wine at all, however it is not $40 a bottle wine.

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
scott0210 wrote:LOL. I remember the first offering from Sunce a while back.... what an interesting thread that turned into. Numerous shills like the one above, angry, petty sounding wine owner lady seemingly unhappy to be "giving" away their wine, angry no sell out. Those were the good old days.

This is not bad wine at all, however it is not $40 a bottle wine.

I remember this too, but need to add how I thought the woot members were jerks to the wine owner lady whose native language isn't English and was doing her best to try and sell the wine -- it seemed like she missed out on the appropriate tone for her posts and some woot members really laid into her, which I thought wasn't warranted.

It was fun if you weren't participating in that thread. I miss it too.

todd999430

quality posts: 4 Private Messages todd999430

I purchased both cases of the sunce offerings. The December case was ok. This case, however, was worth the money and then some. I've had 8 of the bottles so far (2 of each) and seven of them were fantastic. I believe one of them was corked, etc but not a big deal. Happens.

I posted on the previous offering with more notes.