PRODUCT: 3 2008 Broc Cellars Grenache, Bennett Valley
CT link above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

IS this Broc wine names after a set of badgers living in these cellars? Very big cellar rats!

thing is, badgers like sugar. Was there a lot of sugar in these grapes at harvest? I wonder if we can find out how much.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

A nice deal off retail, especially with shipping. And the CT notes for their other Grenache bottlings are pretty encouraging. I think I may be in... Hmm.

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

epistemologonhere

quality posts: 20 Private Messages epistemologonhere

Do we have any pH or other indications of acid levels? Grenache is fruity, but does this have balance, or is it all fruit?

___

parasanger

quality posts: 4 Private Messages parasanger

Also, is this a drink now, let lay in or both wine? I'm not schooled enough in grapes and vintages to go 'but of course its...'

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

seriously, Broc Cellars is my favorite new discovery this year. I have poured the Dry Stack Grenache to a few dozen friends so far and 100% thought this wine is delicious. I typically decant this before dinner and taste it for a few hours, very nice soft fruit, layers of mineral (clay) and a very smooth finish always. The acidity is right on the mark too. If you are up for something new to try, this is your woot! Thanks for listening.

WineDavid was my Boss!

Ramrod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ramrod

What percentage of the grapes were grown biodynamically , or through other methods?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Interesting, urban winery in Berkeley? Is there a tasting room?

CT

phidan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages phidan

Any lab rats? I'm curious about this one

davidhendricks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidhendricks
tenuki wrote:Interesting, urban winery in Berkeley? Is there a tasting room?

Yep! I believe they still share a winery with Eno Cellars, and A Donkey & Goat (good backstory behind the name) are just down the street. I highly recommend making a day out of urban wine tasting in Berkeley.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
davidhendricks wrote:Yep! I believe they still share a winery with Eno Cellars, and A Donkey & Goat (good backstory behind the name) are just down the street. I highly recommend making a day out of urban wine tasting in Berkeley.

Haha, my friend loves the name of the winery so we've been chasing Donkey & Goat wine for a while. Even went to pizzaiolo one night since they were listed on the website as carrying it but they didn't anymore.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
texacaliali wrote:seriously, Broc Cellars is my favorite new discovery this year. I have poured the Dry Stack Grenache to a few dozen friends so far and 100% thought this wine is delicious. I typically decant this before dinner and taste it for a few hours, very nice soft fruit, layers of mineral (clay) and a very smooth finish always. The acidity is right on the mark too. If you are up for something new to try, this is your woot! Thanks for listening.

You don't say which vintage you've n=been pouring, and I can't help wondering why they're still showing the '07 (100% Grenache) on their website, while selling off the '08 here. With 11% Syrah, and a splash of Viognier, it seems like this one would be somewhat different, not to mention a year younger. I'd be interested in how the 2 vintages compare.

Oops. Forgot I was using bahwm's computer. ddeuddeg.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

Neopluto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neopluto

The Grenache sounds interesting, I think I'd like to try this but I keep running into the same problem with all wine descriptions-- telling me that it has notes of chocolate and currant tells me nothing. Like "This wine has depth and focus, yet retains elegance and restraint through its balance."
translates to "you can look really refined drinking this"

Everyone says that Guinness tastes like chocolate, I have yet to taste it for myself.

Wiki says this grape has a very high sugar content and low acids, that's about all I have to go on right now. I second having lab rats come out and tell me layman's terms what's going on with the bottle.

Ie: leaves dry taste in mouth, very acidic, bitter, tastes like...

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

I thought "Dry Stack" was a sherry, not a Grenache...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

bahwm wrote:You don't say which vintage you've n=been pouring, and I can't help wondering why they're still showing the '07 (100% Grenache) on their website, while selling off the '08 here. With 11% Syrah, and a splash of Viognier, it seems like this one would be somewhat different, not to mention a year younger. I'd be interested in how the 2 vintages compare.

Morning, good question. I've had both - the 2007 and 2008 this year. I do have detailed notes on the 2007 - packed away however in a moving box this morning. I'll find it in a few hours.

Chris should also be piping in on the boards at anytime, I know he's a one-man show and it's the thick of harvest out here.

Coffee time...

EDIT:

here's a pic from a few weeks ago. Twas a perfect pairing with grilled lamb & basil burgers, with fava bean puree (w/lemon, greek yogurt,salt/pepper). The nose was floral at first then turned a touch more savory over the hours.

This bottle is hard to age in my world - a fantastic everyday sipper for me. The Vine Star white blend doesn't stand a chance in my wine-cave. Straight to the fridge...

WineDavid was my Boss!

awilcoxphd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awilcoxphd

Here's the vinopedia link, Parker gave the 2006 a 90. Not bad!
Especially for the price point.

http://www.vinopedia.com/wine/Broc+Cellars+Grenache+Dry+Stack+Vineyard

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
Ramrod wrote:What percentage of the grapes were grown biodynamically , or through other methods?

Hopefully none. I hate when there's bull sh*t in my wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

brocwine

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brocwine
epistemologonhere wrote:Do we have any pH or other indications of acid levels? Grenache is fruity, but does this have balance, or is it all fruit?

This is more of a balanced Grenache. Bennett Valley is about as cool as you can get as far as growing Grenache is concerned.

brocwine

parasanger wrote:Also, is this a drink now, let lay in or both wine? I'm not schooled enough in grapes and vintages to go 'but of course its...'

It's ready to drink now, but could lay down for a couple of years and be rewarded. I usually age in bottle for 2 years after bottling as the cool climate requires it.

brocwine

tenuki wrote:Interesting, urban winery in Berkeley? Is there a tasting room?

No tasting room. People are welcome to stop by appointment. You can email me through the website: www.broccellars.com

brocwine

bahwm wrote:You don't say which vintage you've n=been pouring, and I can't help wondering why they're still showing the '07 (100% Grenache) on their website, while selling off the '08 here. With 11% Syrah, and a splash of Viognier, it seems like this one would be somewhat different, not to mention a year younger. I'd be interested in how the 2 vintages compare.

Only a couple cases of the 07 remain so couldn't offer it here. This is the first offering of the 08. Will be available on website once harvest is finished. Lots of grapes right now!!!

Neopluto

Newbie question, but...From what I understand, light tannin wines can't be stored as long. I'm not going to drink 3 bottles in the next month, so would you say these would be good for at least another year?

majamaki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages majamaki

mmmm, this looks pretty good... in for one.

Terry Majamaki
Blogging @ http://majamaki.com/

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

brocwine wrote:This is more of a balanced Grenache. Bennett Valley is about as cool as you can get as far as growing Grenache is concerned.

Hi Chris: Thanks for joining us! What can you tell us about the fruit source? Yours is my second encounter with Dry Stack Vineyards Grenache- I had an Eric Kent recently, which I enjoyed as well.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cyclebex

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cyclebex

Hoping the ship to list is inaccurate. Can we get this in Maryland? In for two if thats the case.

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Does anybody know what the alcohol percent is? X

Merlynxlii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Merlynxlii

Labrat checking in! Wish I could have put this up earlier in the day, been out of the house all morning…

I tasted this last evening with my significant other, A. I’ve included both of our notes through various points over the evening (mine are noted as B). Most of the report will be rapid fire quick notes, as opposed to full complete thoughts… And with that, here we are!

7pm – Poured straight into the decanter
Overall Appearance:
Fairly dark with a deep red center… nice looking ruby glint around the edges in the glass.
Aroma:
A – Oak. Campfire. Somewhat sharp on the nose.
B – Lots of oak. Wet mossy. Not much in the way of fruit yet. Hot.
First taste:
A – Serious oak. Smooth, almost creamy in the palette. Well blended flavors. Overall good, though not too complex.
B – Dark berries, licorice. Smooth overall and not too heavy. Strong mid-palette flavors. Good texture, coats your mouth and pulls away for a long lingering finish. Nice and simple.

7:30pm – Light snack of crackers with Point Reyes blue cheese
B – Brings out the bite in the blue cheese. The creamy texture of both goes well together. Not much change flavor-wise… Some pepper showing itself on the finish.

8:15pm – Dinner! Spaghetti and tomato basil meat sauce
A – Garlic bread brings out some sharp flavors in the wine. Similar flavors as above. More pronounced spicy flavors.
B –Peppery in the nose. More fruit aroma, raspberries maybe? Garlic definitely brings out more intense and sharp flavors. Still smooth and relatively nice to drink.

8:45pm – After dinner sipping
A – Overall nicer without food. Definitely preferred to sip this straight.
B – Still somewhat hot on the nose. Licorice is more intense. Interestingly, drinking the wine without food now in contrast to with the food before, the herbs and spices in the pasta sauce had overwhelmed the fruit flavors of this wine. Much more pronounced now, strong berries. Still smooth and little more complex than before. Lots of fruit now.

Final Impressions:
A – Not my favorite, but it is nice to work through over the evening.
B – Good easy drinking wine. Could go better with a milder meal than we had, but we enjoyed it the most late in the evening, just sipping it as we talked. Pleasant and enjoyable. This is a fairly classic example of Grenache, and I think it is a good deal at the offered price. This would be especially true if you haven’t had a chance to try a primarily Grenache blend… Enjoy!

Merlynxlii

xibbumbero wrote:Does anybody know what the alcohol percent is? X

14.5% is noted on the bottle, and I wholeheartedly believe it. It was a little hot on the nose, but the alcohol did not overwhelm on the palette.

Neopluto

Hey Merlynxlii, I'm glad to read the review. The wine sounds very spicy from what you say-- you think it's not as suitable for drinking alone (as opposed to with a meal)?

Merlynxlii

Neopluto wrote:Hey Merlynxlii, I'm glad to read the review. The wine sounds very spicy from what you say-- you think it's not as suitable for drinking alone (as opposed to with a meal)?

The spicy flavors within the wine blended in well, and were not difficult to drink. Certainly did not need food to keep it under control.

I actually preferred drinking it on its own compared to the meal we had it with... more of the softer and more subtle flavors rounded the wine out when just sipped alone.

Neopluto

Merlynxlii wrote:The spicy flavors within the wine blended in well, and were not difficult to drink. Certainly did not need food to keep it under control.

I actually preferred drinking it on its own compared to the meal we had it with... more of the softer and more subtle flavors rounded the wine out when just sipped alone.

Hmm, I'm edging closer and closer to clicking on buy... just have to convince bf to not finish the whole case in 3 nights.

brocwine

Neopluto wrote:Newbie question, but...From what I understand, light tannin wines can't be stored as long. I'm not going to drink 3 bottles in the next month, so would you say these would be good for at least another year?

another 3 yrs easy

brocwine

neilfindswine wrote:Hi Chris: Thanks for joining us! What can you tell us about the fruit source? Yours is my second encounter with Dry Stack Vineyards Grenache- I had an Eric Kent recently, which I enjoyed as well.

it's definitely on the extreme for Grenache. no flat section to vineyard just rolling hills. the grenache is located at the highest point in vineyard to get as much sun exposure as possible. some topsoil then rocks underneath.

brocwine

Neopluto wrote:Hmm, I'm edging closer and closer to clicking on buy... just have to convince bf to not finish the whole case in 3 nights.

haha...if your asking for advice on this you might have the wrong guy

nyesq54

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nyesq54

Had the '06 last summer when I was in San Francisco (I think it was RN74). Enjoyed it enough that I took a photo of the label so I would remember it. Couldn't find it when I got back to NY. Was very happy to see this.

jamileigh17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamileigh17

Anyone know how this compares with the Zenaida Cellars Grenache Rose offered last month? (It's the first grenache I've tried, and finding it a bit harsh on the alcohol side for my tastes in wine, but I'm more a sweet white drinker most of the time. Hey, I'm learning!)

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi
brucedoesbms wrote:I thought "Dry Stack" was a sherry, not a Grenache...

It's sack not stack, that being said my f-in-law got me sooooo Monster A-Go Go (1965) on dry sack I couldn't walk, the day he died I drove all over Lompoc till I found some to toast him that night.

fredrinaldi

fredrinaldi wrote:It's sack not stack, that being said my f-in-law got me sooooo Monster A-Go Go (1965) on dry sack I couldn't walk, the day he died I drove all over Lompoc till I found some to toast him that night.

I guess I cant say poopfaced

fredrinaldi

good god woot this is an adult site, over 21, no need to censure grown adults. Just saying.....