PRODUCT: 6 Copa del Rey 2009 Colchagua Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
1/14/11 (2008)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers

I seriously made this comment at dinner,"I've bought a few pinot noirs off Woot! recently, but now I'm getting some weird urge to buy the first cab that is offered on Woot!"

I've always known wine.woot is the shiznit at everything, but I never thought I'd see the day where telepathy would be checked off the awesome list!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

Damn, I quickly looked at the title when I came up and thought this was their Chardonnay. I would have sprung for that an instant, not so sure about their Cabernet though.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

I got a 6 pack of the 2008's - while a decent wine for the price point; they were not my idea of a more 'typical' bold/heavy/tannin-y cab that I would get from this region. I had family members who even guessed that the wine was NOT a cab in a blind tasting!

It's possible the 2008 was in a 'dumb' phase when we tasted it (though at only 3 years I doubt) or otherwise I would say it was just a very 'subtle' example of this varietal. Definitely worthwhile as a daily drinker, party-share when half the peeps attending don't know wine other than 'that grape juice that gets you drunk,' or as a nice cooking-wine.

So after all this I have to ask - how can we expect the 2009 to compare to the 2008?

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday

In for 2. I've had positive experiences with mid range ($10-20) Chilean cabs in the past, and I am digging the Hahn wines I've picked up (including the Cabernet Franc, which is weird as I'm usually not a fan of the varietal)...

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
greyday wrote:In for 2. I've had positive experiences with mid range ($10-20) Chilean cabs in the past, and I am digging the Hahn wines I've picked up (including the Cabernet Franc, which is weird as I'm usually not a fan of the varietal)...

Sadly, I have only one bottle of the cab franc left. I was so hoping that it would come back during the wootoff.

mthomtech

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mthomtech

Maybe it's just my new found addiction to all things woot, but I'm finding it hard to pass up a cheap Chilean Cab.

3 x

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

Well, the $10 coupon from Jumbowoot was making my inbox too hot so I'm in for 2.

No way could I get this at $7.27 a bottle locally.

WootKip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootKip

In for two... worst case I serve it late at the Halloween party...

mstrbrd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstrbrd

I purchased the 6 pack of 2008 Copa Del Ray Cabernet that was offered on Woot several months ago,and regretted doing so. Awful stuff at any price. Although, I was able to use it in sangria.

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday
mstrbrd wrote:I purchased the 6 pack of 2008 Copa Del Ray Cabernet that was offered on Woot several months ago,and regretted doing so. Awful stuff at any price. Although, I was able to use it in sangria.

That made me feel worried until you made the sangria comment. I love sangria!

Also, worst case scenario, I can use it to top up the carboys of plum wine I have in the basement.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
noslensj wrote:Sadly, I have only one bottle of the cab franc left. I was so hoping that it would come back during the wootoff.

Same here... or in place of the current offer.

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

CT notes on the 2008 Copa Del Rey Cab that was previously offered.

DoobieWah

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DoobieWah
mstrbrd wrote:I purchased the 6 pack of 2008 Copa Del Ray Cabernet that was offered on Woot several months ago,and regretted doing so. Awful stuff at any price. Although, I was able to use it in sangria.

When I first opened the '08, I thought something similar....then I realized that by decanting it and letting it breath a while, it actually became quite decent for it's price point...although not as complex as other Cabs I've had.

With that in mind, I may have to buy this.....

ticomike

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ticomike

Ditto here. I found it on a par with Charles Shaw...Making this a bit over-priced. It was good as sangria base.

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
DoobieWah wrote:When I first opened the '08, I thought something similar....then I realized that by decanting it and letting it breath a while, it actually became quite decent for it's price point...although not as complex as other Cabs I've had.

Precisely our experience with the previous offering as well.

Olsonbarb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Olsonbarb
baqui63 wrote:Well, the $10 coupon from Jumbowoot was making my inbox too hot so I'm in for 2.

No way could I get this at $7.27 a bottle locally.

You must have a magic touch, I tried to use this $10 coupon and it did not work ?

animallover

quality posts: 6 Private Messages animallover

Have this all the time as a daily drinker - let it breathe or "gurgle" it through a Vinturi. In for two.

zyria

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zyria

I posted this when the 2008 was available on the June 15 Woot.Off!:

“I bought this last time and in a nut-shell: Very fruit-forward and smooth with no acid indigestion later in the evening, but it did give me a slight headache the next day (I usually drink full bottles in one go). So I'd use this as a second bottle where you aren't going to finish it, or give it to friends that aren't very picky in what they drink.”

I am currently gifting it to a neighbor every few months since she is not as picky about her wine.

I may have to look into a sangria recipe as well, thanks for the idea everyone! :-)

great57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages great57

Me, three. I gave this wine a try at least four times. The first time I thought maybe I just hadn't let it settle from shipping, the second time, I decanted the hell out of it, the third time, decanted and tried again the next day.

All three times, same issues, super leathery, in a bad way, really awful finish. The longer is decants the mellower it gets, but it's still not great. Second day it's slightly better, but no one in my house ever wants to drink it.

I think I wrote about this on the original offer discussion.

Forth try, just last week, I tried serving it at a party to more indiscriminate drinkers and they didn't like it either. I did't say anything about the wine, I just served it. I ended up using the rest of that bottle for sangria.

I must admit, it makes a mighty tasty sangria.
My two remaining bottle will go straight into sangria. I am done with this wine.

bowl44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowl44

I am curious if youse guys have any special recipes for your sangrias.

heiertz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heiertz

Chilean plonk. Avoid at any price.

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
bowl44 wrote:I am curious if youse guys have any special recipes for your sangrias.

Ask and ye shall receive! (Though by the time you're done going through them all, you may be sorry you asked...) There's this one, too.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
animallover wrote:Have this all the time as a daily drinker - let it breathe or "gurgle" it through a Vinturi. In for two.

THIS!

I'd buy more but I have plenty right now.

I let most of my reds breathe anyway, they all need a bit of it.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi
ticomike wrote:Ditto here. I found it on a par with Charles Shaw...Making this a bit over-priced. It was good as sangria base.

Me three, not very good at all, I gave it away, should have made sangria. I'd rather get Quality over quantity on woot.

great57

quality posts: 0 Private Messages great57
bowl44 wrote:I am curious if youse guys have any special recipes for your sangrias.

I made up my own. I used this Copa and a bottle of Sav Blanc that no one liked and I put them in container with three diced apples, a diced orange, a couple of quartered lemons and quartered limes and about a 1/2 cup of agave nectar. Mixed it up, let it sit in the fridge overnight.
It was awesome. Like a wine margarita. I drank it straight or topped it with seltzer or 7Up depending on my mood. Quite refreshing.

You can add more or less of any of the ingredients depending on personal taste.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Drink enough of this and you might get to meet the trouty lips of Lana del Rey

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

Sangria is one of those fun things you can do variations on and still get consistently tasty results!

A good basic variant is a bottle of cheap red, a cup each of apple and pineapple juice, maybe a splash of lemon or lime juice if it needs more acid, 1-2 cups of fruits of choice (diced apple/orange = classic, I've used things like frozen peaches and raspberries), and a half cup or more each of brandy and orange liquor (+ maybe amaretto? spiced rum? etc) for extra potency :-D

fsarr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsarr

Delish...it took a while to get to my house but the wait was worth it. A very enjoyable wine.