tennisplayer121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tennisplayer121
KtCallista wrote:Yes, but getting people who aren't in areas with a lot of immigrants/exchange students to see that is problematic.

LP

As well as a lot of other things that are brought into perspective when you are surrounded by people of differing and diverse backgrounds

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
tennisplayer121 wrote:As well as a lot of other things that are brought into perspective when you are surrounded by people of differing and diverse backgrounds

LP

Very much so! I love my internet experience because most of my online friends live in different places and have different thoughts, experiences, and perspectives. I know it is all too easy to find people who only agree with you and build up your pre-existing ideas, but it's very easy to go the other way too, and learn about lots of different experiences.

LP

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
tennisplayer121 wrote:As well as a lot of other things that are brought into perspective when you are surrounded by people of differing and diverse backgrounds

LP

Mmmmm corn...I could go for some white corn with butter and Cajan on it.

lp

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
lplady wrote:Mmmmm corn...I could go for some white corn with butter and Cajan on it.

lp

Did you see the corn thread on deals?
(last post)

I'm just hanging out, really.

lplady

inkycatz wrote:Did you see the corn thread on deals?
(last post)

No, I haven't had a chance to see it. Thanks for the link. I'll go look.

lp

Edit: nom nom Baaaaacon looks super great on it. Have to give it a whirl.

last post

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:No, I haven't had a chance to see it. Thanks for the link. I'll go look.

lp

Edit: nom nom Baaaaacon looks super great on it. Have to give it a whirl.

last post

Bacon on corn? Hmmm. Not sure about that one.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Bacon on corn? Hmmm. Not sure about that one.

LP

I'm not sure about it either, but I do bacon and spinach pizza and that's really good. I'm not a huge bacon person honestly. Maybe it's all the years growing up raising my own bacon.

LP

lplady

Stealing all the bacon in here

because it's the last post!

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:Stealing all the bacon in here

because it's the last post!

Not if I have anything to do about that.

Last Post

Last Post

lplady

tennisplayer121 wrote:Not if I have anything to do about that.

Last Post

You don't. You're dismissed.

LAST POST

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:You don't. You're dismissed.

LAST POST

Dismissed just in time for another

LP

Last Post

lplady

tennisplayer121 wrote:Dismissed just in time for another

LP

HAHA, go ahead, try again.
(figured I'd try reverse psychology)

lp

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND
lplady wrote:HAHA, go ahead, try again.

lp

ygolohcysp

Last Post

KtCallista

GodfatherND wrote:ygolohcysp

Last Post

That's is evil for the lypsdexic.

Last Post

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:HAHA, go ahead, try again.

lp

Well, if I had seen this, it wouldn't have worked. (If you try to claim it worked, I'm claiming a false causation of correlation)

LP

Last Post

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

slackers

lp

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

tennisplayer121

dontwantaname wrote:slackers

lp

The LP thread is only as good as the 2nd strongest link.

LP

Last Post

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

tennisplayer121 wrote:The LP thread is only as good as the 2nd strongest link.

LP

from the 5th link

lp

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

tennisplayer121

dontwantaname wrote:from the 5th link

lp

Despite my earlier comment I think I actually question if there is a chain.

LP

Last Post

lplady

tennisplayer121 wrote:Well, if I had seen this, it wouldn't have worked. (If you try to claim it worked, I'm claiming a false causation of correlation)

LP

There he goes again using big boy words.

KtC, I don't know what we're going to do with him.

lp

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:There he goes again using big boy words.

KtC, I don't know what we're going to do with him.

lp

dontwantaname's name is longer than the longest word I used.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:dontwantaname's name is longer than the longest word I used.

LP

My first boss after college used to make fun of the way I talked. Using all my college words.

LP

GodfatherND

KtCallista wrote:My first boss after college used to make fun of the way I talked. Using all my college words.

LP

eschew obfuscation
LP

KtCallista

GodfatherND wrote:eschew obfuscation
LP

But isn't the correct term always the clearest way to make a point?

LP

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:My first boss after college used to make fun of the way I talked. Using all my college words.

LP

I don't know...I guess I use words a lot that aren't typically used. It's just much easier to communicate the exact meaning I intend when I use the best word to fit the situation.

LP

Last Post

GodfatherND

KtCallista wrote:But isn't the correct term always the clearest way to make a point?

LP

Nope. The author needs to keep the reader in mind when selecting words. If the reader will understand specific jargon or wording, then it's okay to use those. If you're trying to impress a college professor, then you should show off. If you're writing a newspaper article or a novel, then the audience requires a different style.

Lastus Posti

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

GodfatherND wrote:Nope. The author needs to keep the reader in mind when selecting words. If the reader will understand specific jargon or wording, then it's okay to use those. If you're trying to impress a college professor, then you should show off. If you're writing a newspaper article or a novel, then the audience requires a different style.

Lastus Posti

in the newspaper biz, we were always advised not to write above a fourth-grade comprehension level.

you'll be shocked to learn this wasn't a challenge for me.

(drive-by NOT-last post. because staff.)

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

tennisplayer121

GodfatherND wrote:Nope. The author needs to keep the reader in mind when selecting words. If the reader will understand specific jargon or wording, then it's okay to use those. If you're trying to impress a college professor, then you should show off. If you're writing a newspaper article or a novel, then the audience requires a different style.

Lastus Posti

Just because the audience can't understand the clarity doesn't mean the clarity is worse if the writer writes above the audience's head. It might not be "as clear" to the audience, but the thoughts are expressed the best and clearest when the most precise words are chosen.

To properly look at this subject, I would think we have to separate "communicating to others" and "precision of the wording for the point that is being made".

LP

Last Post

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tennisplayer121 wrote:Just because the audience can't understand the clarity doesn't mean the clarity is worse if the writer writes above the audience's head. It might not be "as clear" to the audience, but the thoughts are expressed the best and clearest when the most precise words are chosen.

To properly look at this subject, I would think we have to separate "communicating to others" and "precision of the wording for the point that is being made".

LP

to me, clarity = communicating to others. precision of wording without regards to audience is just masturbation.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
no1 wrote:to me, clarity = communicating to others. precision of wording without regards to audience is just masturbation.

And that will make you crazy.

LP

tennisplayer121

no1 wrote:to me, clarity = communicating to others. precision of wording without regards to audience is just masturbation.

Well, I think about it like this. Imagine having to explain how to cook a very complicated recipe to people who have absolutely no measuring tools. You might be able to "get close" to the desired outcome, but the food tasting exactly as you wish it to taste is not going to be a realistic possibility.

Sure, if you must lose precision just to get something that's relatively close, that's better than nothing in most situations. However, you also give up the exact taste you are trying to achieve by giving up the opportunity for utilizing the tools that are used to measure out precise amounts of ingredients.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Well, I think about it like this. Imagine having to explain how to cook a very complicated recipe to people who have absolutely no measuring tools. You might be able to "get close" to the desired outcome, but the food tasting exactly as you wish it to taste is not going to be a realistic possibility.

Sure, if you must lose precision just to get something that's relatively close, that's better than nothing in most situations. However, you also give up the exact taste you are trying to achieve by giving up the opportunity for utilizing the tools that are used to measure out precise amounts of ingredients.

LP

Does it help if I say I understood EXACTLY what Tennis said, and I didn't have to look up any of the terms. I think we dumb-down too many of our communications as it is. I like having somewhere to go where I know people are going to use vocabulary to express thoughts and ideas.

Last Post

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Huh?

last post

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

lplady

KtCallista wrote:Does it help if I say I understood EXACTLY what Tennis said, and I didn't have to look up any of the terms. I think we dumb-down too many of our communications as it is. I like having somewhere to go where I know people are going to use vocabulary to express thoughts and ideas.

Last Post

I totally agree. I understood it too, thought you'd all know that. This is just too funny, but I did enjoy reading the conversation above. Adding to my vocabulary is the reason I love scrabble so much. I love it when someone uses words I've never heard of before. It's the best part of the game besides winning.

Umm, ladies and gents I was just teasing with KtC and Tennis. Not because he uses language we don't understand on last post. I personally have never seen him do that.

Even if he had it would be fine with me. If I didn't understand what Tennis or anyone else was trying to convey then I could go look it up. If I'm feeling lazy I'd probably just ask for an explanation. No biggie.

Why I made the big boy comment was in reference to the previous page when KtC was joking about sweeteners being too hard to spell...also joking of course.

last post

lplady

tennisplayer121 wrote:dontwantaname's name is longer than the longest word I used.

LP

Yes, is it longer. I didn't say longer though. I said big boy words. I know some big boy words that are only four letters. And I bet everyone here can spell them AND knows what they mean.

Geez, AZ always wants an actual conversation. Who wouda thunk an interesting one would have taken place here and he'd miss it.

Are we allowed to last post our own last post?

lp

GodfatherND

tennisplayer121 wrote:Just because the audience can't understand the clarity doesn't mean the clarity is worse if the writer writes above the audience's head. It might not be "as clear" to the audience, but the thoughts are expressed the best and clearest when the most precise words are chosen.

LP

True dat.

LP

GodfatherND

lplady wrote:Are we allowed to last post our own last post?

lp

Dunno

LP

lplady

GodfatherND wrote:Dunno

LP

Guess I'll just post another lp so you don't have to post to yourself.

It's just not right for it to be 11AM and feel like it's 94. booo

last post

KtCallista

lplady wrote:Guess I'll just post another lp so you don't have to post to yourself.

It's just not right for it to be 11AM and feel like it's 94. booo

last post

Last post always has some of the best discussion, punctuated by straight up last posts.

Last Post

lplady

KtCallista wrote:Last post always has some of the best discussion, punctuated by straight up last posts.

Last Post

I'll raise your last post by another last post.

News of the day...incoming from China. I didn't find out until yesterday.

I'm one happy lady today. Can't wait to see them all.

lp