tennisplayer121

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tennisplayer121
lplady wrote:19 more now. You sure move at a slow pace on woot.

lp

Indeed I do! It's because woot changed, I just can't keep up anymore.

LP

Last Post

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
tennisplayer121 wrote:Indeed I do! It's because woot changed, I just can't keep up anymore.

LP

Nor can I.

Doesn't help I haven't been at home very much.

Nice pic, but I do prefer Cherry Coke.

lp

KtCallista

quality posts: 32 Private Messages KtCallista
lplady wrote:Nor can I.

lp

Ooooh I like Cherry in mine too!

Although after driving over 4000 miles, I'm done with all Coke for a while. The fizz from the soda is helpful on the road, but I really don't like soda that much.

We are home! We never made it to Wall, we drove from 8:30am to 9:30pm yesterday with only stops for gas and bathrooms because it was too hot to even think about anything else. We could have made it all the way home, but stopped two hours away since we had a friend willing to put us all up for the night and I was road dead. Installed the AC as soon as we got home, now to get unpacked and back to work on home stuff, uggh.

Last Post

Thanks so much Secret Santa!!

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND
KtCallista wrote:
We are home!
Last Post

Glad you made it safe/sound.

LP

KtCallista

GodfatherND wrote:Glad you made it safe/sound.

LP

Thanks Godfather! My Mom and Dad are heading up your way in about a week. My dad has a friend up there he reconnected with on FB so they are going to visit.

LP

GodfatherND

KtCallista wrote:Thanks Godfather! My Mom and Dad are heading up your way in about a week. My dad has a friend up there he reconnected with on FB so they are going to visit.

LP

FB is a great way to reconnect with friends. I hope they have a wonderful time!

We had golf-ball sized hail yesterday at the north side of D_i_c_kinson. I live on the south side, and we didn't have any hail. Tell your parents to be careful about those late afternoon storms!

LP on the south side

KtCallista

GodfatherND wrote:FB is a great way to reconnect with friends. I hope they have a wonderful time!

We had golf-ball sized hail yesterday at the north side of D_i_c_kinson. I live on the south side, and we didn't have any hail. Tell your parents to be careful about those late afternoon storms!

LP on the south side

I'll mention it. My Mom should call sometime today

Last Post

tennisplayer121

lplady wrote:Nor can I.

lp

Me too! Haha, I drink way too much cherry coke.

LP

Last Post

tennisplayer121

GodfatherND wrote:FB is a great way to reconnect with friends. I hope they have a wonderful time!

LP on the south side

We're getting late afternoon storms right now! One minute nothing was on radar, the next, a few cells showed up. Kind of cool. (I kind of love storms.)

LP

Last Post

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
tennisplayer121 wrote:Me too! Haha, I drink way too much cherry coke.

LP

I like this combo.

LP

I'm just hanging out, really.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 140 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

inkycatz wrote:
I like this combo.

LP

Okay..so my "Caffeine-Free Diet Coke" discussion is out...

ORDER CANCELLATION: now within 15 mins, click here for more details...
Need Some Help? Hit us up at support@woot.com
Have Any Questions? Check out Woot FAQ
Wanna Hear What's Going on All Things Woot? Swing by Our Blog

inkycatz

ROGETRAY wrote:Okay..so my "Caffeine-Free Diet Coke" discussion is out...

What is the point of no caffeine in Coke, really?

(last post)

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:What is the point of no caffeine in Coke, really?

(last post)

Kills your memory slightly faster than diet coke alone?

LP

inkycatz

KtCallista wrote:Kills your memory slightly faster than diet coke alone?

LP

Had a reply, forgot.

~~ last post ~~

KtCallista

inkycatz wrote:Had a reply, forgot.

~~ last post ~~

At you least you still remember the words!

Although the beverage in question is diet Mountain Dew (which is completely and utterly pointless in a caffeine-free version), the fake sugars are the same. They were actually killing my husband's aunt until her daughter-in-law made her stop and for the first time in months she can eat proper meals again.

LP

tennisplayer121

I wasn't going to comment. I told myself I wasn't, but I can't help it.

"Fake sugars" is basically incoherent to me.

If we look at aspartame and some kind of sugar we'd see something like the following:
Aspartame

Fructose

Sucrose

Glucose

The three latter ones are all sugars. The first one is an artificial sweetener.

The artificial sweetener is not even meant to be similar to any sugar. Frankly, I'm not even sure how you can chemically have "fake sugars"...but, you can have artificial sweeteners.

Using "sugar" implies (to the chemist/biochemist/biologist) some kind of sugar structure, and "fake" sugar just doesn't chemically make any sense.

0 calorie sweetener, artificial sweetener, low calorie sweetener, etc., all make sense, but "fake sugars" seems incoherent. Even "artificial sugars" would imply that the sugars were the same as a compound classified as a "sugar" but one that was simply synthesized by humans instead of extracted from nature.

Ok, anyway, it's not a huge deal at all, and I realize what the meaning is behind the phrase, but just stated as is, I'm not really even sure what that would mean.

Alright nit picky mini-rant over.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:I wasn't going to comment. I told myself I wasn't, but I can't help it.

"Fake sugars" is basically incoherent to me.

If we look at aspartame and some kind of sugar we'd see something like the following:
Aspartame

Fructose

Sucrose

Glucose

The three latter ones are all sugars. The first one is an artificial sweetener.

The artificial sweetener is not even meant to be similar to any sugar. Frankly, I'm not even sure how you can chemically have "fake sugars"...but, you can have artificial sweeteners.

Using "sugar" implies (to the chemist/biochemist/biologist) some kind of sugar structure, and "fake" sugar just doesn't chemically make any sense.

0 calorie sweetener, artificial sweetener, low calorie sweetener, etc., all make sense, but "fake sugars" seems incoherent. Even "artificial sugars" would imply that the sugars were the same as a compound classified as a "sugar" but one that was simply synthesized by humans instead of extracted from nature.

Ok, anyway, it's not a huge deal at all, and I realize what the meaning is behind the phrase, but just stated as is, I'm not really even sure what that would mean.

Alright nit picky mini-rant over.

LP

but sweeteners is sooooo hard to spell

LP

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:but sweeteners is sooooo hard to spell

LP

Haha. Yeah.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Haha. Yeah.

LP

That's ok, if you knew the wrong names I'd get all wildlifer on you

LP

GodfatherND

KtCallista wrote:That's ok, if you knew the wrong names I'd get all wildlifer on you

LP

Last Post for the Ides of July

tennisplayer121

GodfatherND wrote:Last Post for the Ides of July

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:LP

Have I really been offline that long???

Last Post

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:Have I really been offline that long???

Last Post

I don't know, I guess you should tell us :P

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:I don't know, I guess you should tell us :P

LP

Yeah I was, went to birthday cousin's birthday party and then went to bed when I got home. Then was supposed to have a Doctor's appointment but it was canceled, only they couldn't reach me even though they have 3 numbers for me and none of them register having a missed call. Ah well. I also have been spending a lot of time at the fabric store getting ready to make some cosplay costumes for GeekGirlCon - I know, they should be done by now, but I was busy with work and they moved the con up to August (last year it was October) so now I'm scrambling.

Last Post

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
KtCallista wrote:but sweeteners is sooooo hard to spell

LP

ROFLMAO

last post

KtCallista

lplady wrote:ROFLMAO

last post

Always a pleasure to amuse

And take last post

GodfatherND

KtCallista wrote:Always a pleasure to amuse

And take last post

Last Post

KtCallista

GodfatherND wrote:Last Post

very sad last post

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:very sad last post

Why sad?

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Why sad?

LP

My best friend's Mom died yesterday. She took me in and made sure I got at least one meal a day in high school, even though I was a spoiled middle class brat and they were barely keeping afloat. She always had her door open to anyone who needed shelter a meal, or someone to chat with. She taught me so much. She loved my kids and I didn't visit nearly often enough. Insurance denied her tests to prove she had cancer 5 years ago and by the time it was undeniable, it was too late to do anything. When you don't have a college degree, you are a homemaker and occasional odd-job employee and wife of a blue color worker, the world doesn't treat you the same. It was really painful to see.

last post

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:My best friend's Mom died yesterday. She took me in and made sure I got at least one meal a day in high school, even though I was a spoiled middle class brat and they were barely keeping afloat. She always had her door open to anyone who needed shelter a meal, or someone to chat with. She taught me so much. She loved my kids and I didn't visit nearly often enough. Insurance denied her tests to prove she had cancer 5 years ago and by the time it was undeniable, it was too late to do anything. When you don't have a college degree, you are a homemaker and occasional odd-job employee and wife of a blue color worker, the world doesn't treat you the same. It was really painful to see.

last post

That is really painful to see. My dad worked (he's close to retiring) really hard to support my family without my mom having to have a job. I'm hoping that I'll be in a position to be able to help them out if anything happens like that, but after dealing with the dumb health stuff I went through, I definitely have a bit of a fear of something like that happening to my family.

Anyway, not to make this out about me or anything, my sympathies go out to you and her family and friends.

But I'll still take this opportunity to have another

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:That is really painful to see. My dad worked (he's close to retiring) really hard to support my family without my mom having to have a job. I'm hoping that I'll be in a position to be able to help them out if anything happens like that, but after dealing with the dumb health stuff I went through, I definitely have a bit of a fear of something like that happening to my family.

Anyway, not to make this out about me or anything, my sympathies go out to you and her family and friends.

But I'll still take this opportunity to have another

LP

Thanks Tennis. Health issues are really hard, it's one of those areas where you really long for the Star Trek future utopia where money is no longer the driving force and doctors simply do the very best that they can to help each and every person because that's what doctors contribute to society.

Last Post

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:Thanks Tennis. Health issues are really hard, it's one of those areas where you really long for the Star Trek future utopia where money is no longer the driving force and doctors simply do the very best that they can to help each and every person because that's what doctors contribute to society.

Last Post

Yeah. Unfortunately, I think the trend is going in the complete opposite direction.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Yeah. Unfortunately, I think the trend is going in the complete opposite direction.

LP

Yeah, I feel that you are probably right.

LP

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:Yeah, I feel that you are probably right.

LP

I've listened to this topic being discussed on some health related podcasts. According to those, I don't know that it's "officially" going that way, but it seems like it's a pretty huge concern right now.

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:I've listened to this topic being discussed on some health related podcasts. According to those, I don't know that it's "officially" going that way, but it seems like it's a pretty huge concern right now.

LP

Although, according to a few international forums I was reading last night, it may be better in other places.

LP

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:Although, according to a few international forums I was reading last night, it may be better in other places.

LP

Oh yeah...the Russians I work with tell me how crappy medical costs are here. "America is a very wonderful place...unless you get sick."

LP

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Oh yeah...the Russians I work with tell me how crappy medical costs are here. "America is a very wonderful place...unless you get sick."

LP

Yeah the Asian exchange students here find it cheaper, easier, and safer to go home to get medical care whenever possible.

LP

tennisplayer121

KtCallista wrote:Yeah the Asian exchange students here find it cheaper, easier, and safer to go home to get medical care whenever possible.

LP

Which I think, sadly says something about the state America is in with its medical care status.

lp

Last Post

KtCallista

tennisplayer121 wrote:Which I think, sadly says something about the state America is in with its medical care status.

lp

Yes, but getting people who aren't in areas with a lot of immigrants/exchange students to see that is problematic.

LP