CONDITION: Delectable
PRODUCT: 1 1.8kg Plastic Barrel Mani Foods Greek Olive Mix without Pits

Product Website

Previous offers:
7/30/10

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

murphy48

quality posts: 7 Private Messages murphy48

I got these when they were first on woot (the unpitted ones) and they were really fabulous. The only problem is that they molded within a month. If you get them you really should refrigerate them. They do taste great!

werto

quality posts: 2 Private Messages werto

I got this last year. It was so good, and I was sad when they were gone. Lasted me about 3 months in the fridge. Still tasted excellent towards the end just mushier.

mmolzahn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mmolzahn

Still eating mine from October! Glad to see these up again! Thanks Woot! In for 1.

thisisntjasmine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thisisntjasmine
murphy48 wrote:I got these when they were first on woot (the unpitted ones) and they were really fabulous. The only problem is that they molded within a month. If you get them you really should refrigerate them. They do taste great!

dang, really? with the liquid still in it and all??

scanada2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scanada2

olives suck

murphy48

quality posts: 7 Private Messages murphy48
thisisntjasmine wrote:dang, really? with the liquid still in it and all??

Unfortunately. If I remember correctly the top of the liquid got white and fuzzy. I should note that my apartment does get pretty warm during the summer. Perfect conditions to grow unwanted stuff.

I think they will be fine if they are refrigerated. Other people didn't seem to have the same problem as me.

hjdttt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hjdttt
thisisntjasmine wrote:dang, really? with the liquid still in it and all??

Weird. I bought two jugs with pits and had no trouble at all over four months. Kept opened one in fridge and unopened one unrefrigerated. When I polished off one in fridge, I refrigerated the other one. My biggest gripe was that I wanted a higher ratio of kalamatas, but the product was top-notch.

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

How long were are these cured for?

nytimez

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nytimez

what are the odds that SmartPost + summer heat will lead to less-than-great olives when they finally do arrive?

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420

I wonder what the chances are of seeing the unpitted ones soon.

eastercat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages eastercat

Mine didn't mold during the 6+ months that I had them. However, they also stayed in the fridge too.

murphy48 wrote:I got these when they were first on woot (the unpitted ones) and they were really fabulous. The only problem is that they molded within a month. If you get them you really should refrigerate them. They do taste great!

if u cn rd ths u cn gt a gd jb, bt if u rt lk ths u r a mrn.

thinkerK

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thinkerK

I got these the first time around and we LOVED them.

I kept a barrel at school so my daughter & I could have these great salads with fancy olives & make everyone jealous. She took to coming in for a cupful occasionally for a snack, and that's when the mold started growing. I think she wasn't careful about what she used to dip them out with, and then while we were out for Thanksgiving break, they started morphing.

The olives at home have not had the same problem and we keep them on the kitchen counter! I think I'll start my Christmas shopping early. Thanks!

theenoch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theenoch
DaveD1420 wrote:I wonder what the chances are of seeing the unpitted ones soon.

Do they taste better with pits?

tracylee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tracylee
theenoch wrote:Do they taste better with pits?

I prefer buying olives with pits, they seem a bit less bitter to me.

That said, I bought these last year and loved them. Unfortunately, my now-ex-boyfriend had to cut down severely on salt, so the rest were given to the neighbors (they're great for cleaning out the fridge and freezer). I kept them in the fridge from the start....it never occured to me not to.

DaveD1420

quality posts: 7 Private Messages DaveD1420

In for 2, darn temptation!

gkarrish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gkarrish

How large is the container? Is there any chance I'll have trouble squeezing it into the fridge?

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
gkarrish wrote:How large is the container? Is there any chance I'll have trouble squeezing it into the fridge?

It's not really necessary to keep it in the fridge, even after it's opened. But as long as you can adjust shelves, no problem to keep in the fridge. It's about as tall as a gallon jug of milk, but not as wide.

They are very good... highly recommended.

Skanning

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Skanning
gkarrish wrote:How large is the container? Is there any chance I'll have trouble squeezing it into the fridge?

That's possible. Figure it's roughly the size of a gallon container of milk. But, if you gotta get rid of something, dump the milk :-)

Tygre

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tygre

It depends on what else is in your fridge. See mine here (it's a crappy cell phone pic, but whatev): http://i.imgur.com/P2eVp.jpg

You can see the black tub the olives came in and the relative size vs everything else in my fridge.

Hope this helps.

xenite227

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xenite227

You can get the same exact olives on Amazon for the same exact price except you get 2 whole kg (4 pounds).

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-Pitted-Greek-Country-Weight/dp/B000UXW98S

Same package and all just sold under a different label from the same distributor.

Judy321

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Judy321

My first Wine.Woot!

I was wondering why I was the only glutton who wanted three of these. Then, when I clicked the "I Want One" button, I found that two was the maximum allowed.

Judy321

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Judy321
xenite227 wrote:You can get the same exact olives on Amazon for the same exact price except you get 2 whole kg (4 pounds).

Same package and all just sold under a different label from the same distributor.

Are you sure? The ingredient list is different. Amazon lists sunflower oil; Wine.Woot lists only oilve oil. Wine.Woot says its item has lemon; the Amazon item does not.

jcrazy84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrazy84
xenite227 wrote:You can get the same exact olives on Amazon for the same exact price except you get 2 whole kg (4 pounds).

Yes, but coming from someone who has had both, these have spent significantly less time in a warehouse to age, rot or mold. Those Roland ones have been TERRIBLE for me in the past. These were delicious last year. I hope for a repeat. In for two.

patreezia

quality posts: 5 Private Messages patreezia
Tygre wrote:It depends on what else is in your fridge. See mine here (it's a crappy cell phone pic, but whatev): http://i.imgur.com/P2eVp.jpg

You can see the black tub the olives came in and the relative size vs everything else in my fridge.

Hope this helps.

thanks! that should definitely be a quality post

Utlkalot15

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Utlkalot15

I saw some people's experiences with freshness, but is there an official expiration date? or best by ___?

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830

Yeah... I ordered one of the pitted and one of the unpitted last time these were offered. They arrived about 10-days later and were extremely salty and very mushy. They seemed to be old. Real old. There was no 'best by' or 'consume by' or any other 'expiration' date on either of the containers when I got them either. I asked for a refund and Woot obliged without hesitation (thank you Woot). Then I threw them away because Woot didn't want them shipped back. They were terribly nasty.

But YMMV this time around.

mlezhai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlezhai

Is it going to be a problem shipping in this hot weather?

cimicata

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cimicata

I just asked my girlfriend if I should buy this jug o' olives. Her reply was a brisk "NO, you're not gonna like olives anymore if you buy that".

silverfaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silverfaux
eastercat wrote:Mine didn't mold during the 6+ months that I had them. However, they also stayed in the fridge too.

I kept mine on the counter in the kitchen, and still have a handful left that are fine.

I did have a problem with mold on the top after I had some friends over, and they weren't careful when they scooped some out to snack on. But I just took out the top layer and chucked them, dumped out the brine and added new salt/water, and washed the scoop, and they were fine again.

beaverspork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaverspork
silverfaux wrote:I kept mine on the counter in the kitchen, and still have a handful left that are fine.

I did have a problem with mold on the top after I had some friends over, and they weren't careful when they scooped some out to snack on. But I just took out the top layer and chucked them, dumped out the brine and added new salt/water, and washed the scoop, and they were fine again.

Am I the only one that thinks this is disturbing? I really hope I don't end up eating at your house some time. LOL

lucky77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucky77

In for 2. I have waiting a long time for these. Put a spoonful on my salad every night. They are good for you. TY Woot.

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy
beaverspork wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is disturbing? I really hope I don't end up eating at your house some time. LOL

You may not want to see what goes on in the kitchen next time you eat out at a restaurant either.

silverfaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silverfaux
beaverspork wrote:Am I the only one that thinks this is disturbing? I really hope I don't end up eating at your house some time. LOL

I made sure to pick out anything that had mold, and rinsed the rest. I don't see any difference between that and, say, cutting the mold off cheese.

Of course, my friends that I fed metric tons of tapenade made from those olives may agree with you, and not me. Which is why they weren't told.

agentfox1942

quality posts: 5 Private Messages agentfox1942

I wonder if these have the special gold stamp as mentioned on the product's website? I didn't see it on the picture.

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg

I bought two with pits first time around...the best olives I've ever had...period. I actually ran out a few months ago and went to directly to Mani to by a few more. The keep very well, even out of the fridge. If you like olives don't let these pass you by!

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

mavery81230

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mavery81230

How odd. I got two jugs last year, put them in the refrigerator right away, and the last remnants of the second jug are still fine.

We really liked them a lot and used them to make, among other things, some awesome olive breads.

I'm in for two more this year!

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel

Bought 3 last year. Gave 2 away as gifts. Mine spoiled recently. I think the seal wasn't set right by the last person who closed it (me).

The one I gave my father-in-law is still good.

FWIW, we got the "with pits" ones.

knotworking

quality posts: 10 Private Messages knotworking

YES YES YES! Just finished my last barrel a few weeks ago. Almost bought some suspect olives from Amazon but, I decided to hold-out and wait for these again.

Treat these like you would an open bottle of wine, get as much air out between openings as you can (I squeeze the barrel and make sure I've got a tight seal). Air is your enemy. My olives stayed firm up until the last few dozen.

These are a bit saltier than some of your store-boughts but, they are firm, fresh, great in salads, and may just become one of your favorite cooking ingredients.