PRODUCT: 2 Meyer Family Port 500ml
CT link above - Note 500ml size when entering into CT

Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

mmmmm ..... Port.

As in any Port in a storm ... or any other time!

Edit: Woot!

Meyer Family Port 500ml - 2 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 19.113s

"I have often thought that the aim of port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." -- George Mikes

"I only drink fortified wines during bad weather. Snowstorm, hurricane, tornado--I'm not particular, as long as it's bad. After all, any storm for a Port." -- Paul S. Winalski

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

This would have been a great offering to have received the golden rat ticket.

portezbie

quality posts: 14 Private Messages portezbie

mmm I love port, wish I had the money for this.

ddbernst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ddbernst

Any idea if this is Ruby or Tawny?

tartanknickers

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tartanknickers

Tawny? Ruby?

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Is this stuff actually any good? I've seen it up on InVino a couple times, but it's always struck me as a bit sketchy. Waiting for Rat reports!

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

zener

quality posts: 20 Private Messages zener

What is Port Wine? Is it sweet? Rich? Is it thin like water or thick like a milk or somewhere in between?

MarkDaSpark

ddbernst wrote:Any idea if this is Ruby or Tawny?

Neither, since it is made from Old Vine Zin.

Should be sweet and dark.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
zener wrote:What is Port Wine? Is it sweet? Rich? Is it thin like water or thick like a milk or somewhere in between?

Port is a dessert wine, sweeter than dry reds with higher alcohol content, and also more full bodied.

http://www.askmen.com/fine_living/wine_and_dine_archive/9_wine_dine.html

wcheney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcheney
zener wrote:What is Port Wine? Is it sweet? Rich? Is it thin like water or thick like a milk or somewhere in between?

Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine

I ordered a case of Pellegrini last Thursday and it still hasn't shipped, I'm starting to go crazy because it's been more than five days.

lassow

quality posts: 132 Private Messages lassow

Is Zinfandel a traditional grape for 'Port'?

Just an FYI, legit Oporto from Portugal must be labeled as 'Oporto.' The older vintage stuff is killer, and the LBV is good too on a lower budget.

So how many vintages is this from if the average barrel time is 5 years?

Is this the California equivalent of an 8-year Tawny Port?

Okay back to my sour beer.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

MarkDaSpark

PortWine wiki and ZinPort listings.

Zin ports tend to be sweeter than normal ports, and IMO in between the water and milk. Thicker than a normal port.

So more of an after-dinner dessert wine.

surprisingwoman

quality posts: 10 Private Messages surprisingwoman

Wine Spectator has a rating for a web only 2008 release:

http://www.winespectator.com/wine/detail/source/search/note_id/239111

MEYER FAMILY
Port California NV

Score: 84

Release Price: $35/500ml

Region: Other California

Issue: Web Only - 2008

Direct berry jam, spice, cocoa butter and nut notes have a dried mushroom edge, with a sweet-tasting finish. Drink now. 5,800 cases made. –MW

lassow

Is this capable of aging for any significant amount of time?

lassow

Why do they bother calling this Port instead of desert wine?

lassow

$50 almost buys a 750ml vintage port...

srpete

quality posts: 1 Private Messages srpete
wcheney wrote:Here's a link:

I ordered a case of Pellegrini last Thursday and it still hasn't shipped, I'm starting to go crazy because it's been more than five days.

Oh it takes a while. Be patient - it always arrives. Always worth the wait for Wine Woots.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
wcheney wrote:Here's a link:

Summer shipping. safe, slow.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
lassow wrote:Is this capable of aging for any significant amount of time?

Yes, ports are very age-worthy. I would assume 10 - 15 years at least, but I'd like to hear from the winery.

slephoto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
MarkDaSpark wrote:Neither, since it is made from Old Vine Zin.

Should be sweet and dark.

My experience with California Zin Ports is that they're far more like Rubys than Tawnys in taste profile, aroma, etc.

slephoto

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slephoto
lassow wrote:Why do they bother calling this Port instead of desert wine?

Probably because
a) Port refers to a particular STYLE of desert wine vis a vis how it's made
and
b) because it's a far more recognizable name that'll allow people to immediately grok its overall style rather than the use of a broad term like "desert wine."

thepanman99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepanman99

My guess is this is going to be one of those sugary california type ports that are not that great. But i bought it anyway with the hope that woot will having port on here more often.

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

no question, this drinks like a tawny. loved it seconds upon the nose - once sipped, the nutty character was chased by great lush long cherry and spice. this 500ml is a keeper.

"Made in the traditional solera method, Meyer Family (yes, this is Justin Meyer's family of Silver Oak fame)Port is unique among fortified wines produced in California. This rich, complex Port is a blend of several vintages of old-vine Zinfandel that average eight years of age at release."

my 2 cents. it's delicious.

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

thepanman99 wrote:My guess is this is going to be one of those sugary california type ports that are not that great. But i bought it anyway with the hope that woot will having port on here more often.

nope, the Meyer Family port is very well balanced and quite elegant. far from thick and sugary.

WineDavid was my Boss!

lassow

speedoo wrote:Yes, ports are very age-worthy. I would assume 10 - 15 years at least, but I'd like to hear from the winery.

Usually only single-vintage and LBV ports are cellar worthy, single-vintage often cellar for 20+ years before even thinking of opening.

webdev511

quality posts: 37 Private Messages webdev511

In for two. Now if WD can some how swing a Prager Port deal here. I'd be in for 3 and 3 more as a gift...FOR ME!! Muuuhhaa hhha aahaha!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
lassow wrote:Why do they bother calling this Port instead of desert wine?

Becauses Port is not strictly a "dessert" wine. It is a fortified wine. A good fortified wine will be suitable for any part of a meal (historically, they were consumed with or before).

Fortified wine will have a higher residual sugar (a faulty term actually, since the additive isn't part of the original juice) than table wines due to the way it's made, and will also have a higher alcohol content (for the same reason) which adds to the perception of sweetness. However a good well-made Port should be balanced enough that the overall sweetness effect isn't much greater than a big red table wine. Also if there's noticeable tannin (sometimes there is), that can take away from the perceived sweetness.

But, bottom line, they aren't strictly for dessert. That's a phenom brought about by the relatively recent obsession with dryness in wines.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

In for one. Which was a really tough call, I think I clicked back and forth between one, two, and three close to a dozen times, but in the end the reality that I've never tried anything from MF won out, though at this price point I'm pretty sure I'll regret only getting the one...

skizzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skizzy

In for 1..
There is NOTHING like a good Port with chocolate cake..

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

How long will a bottle like this keep once it has been opened?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Back when I ran Folie a Deux, we used to loan them our bottling equipment to bottle this wine. So they always gave us a few bottles. The wine was great. It's one of the best examples of Zinfandel fortified wine in California.

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
North316 wrote:How long will a bottle like this keep once it has been opened?

From talking to my local sommelier, a week or two should be no big deal, and quite often as long as a month, but beyond that it gets dicier.

(Not that I'm an expert on such things, but so far it seems reasonable advice.)

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

8:15 a.m. CDT and the map is lit up - nice! We're probably on the way to another sellout.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Back when I ran Folie a Deux, we used to loan them our bottling equipment to bottle this wine. So they always gave us a few bottles. The wine was great. It's one of the best examples of Zinfandel fortified wine in California.

I was just about to close up wine.woot for the weekend and go about my business worry free about spending money on more wine this weekend and then I read this comment.....apparently I have to ponder this some more.

LSlipetz

JanFP wrote:8:15 a.m. CDT and the map is lit up - nice! We're probably on the way to another sellout.

Maybe, but according to the tracker built into google chrome we still stand at 100%. I know there is no bar up on the woot page, but I would assume the logic is there and is just hidden, allowing these trackers to tap into that. It accurately predicted the sellout yesterday and the tempranillo case a few weeks ago so I trust the numbers.

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11
LSlipetz wrote:Maybe, but according to the tracker built into google chrome we still stand at 100%. I know there is no bar up on the woot page, but I would assume the logic is there and is just hidden, allowing these trackers to tap into that. It accurately predicted the sellout yesterday and the tempranillo case a few weeks ago so I trust the numbers.

I'd like to hear more about this tracker..

jeremykowalski

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremykowalski
jaredmac11 wrote:I'd like to hear more about this tracker..

Yes, me too.

LSlipetz

jaredmac11 wrote:I'd like to hear more about this tracker..

Its just an add on for Google Chrome. Go to the store and search for woot. It just adds a nice little button in the toolbar to check all the woot products for the day. It just shows the products at the 10% marks so right now we know that the port here on Wine woot is somewhere between 91% and 100%.