WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

…is the approximate distance from Paso Robles, California to heart of the Rhône Valley in France.

Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards, Spring 2011

Having just spent a week visiting Southern Rhône in March, I was eager to attend the 2011 Hospice du Rhône in Paso Robles the first week weekend in May, hunting for deals to feature on Wine.Woot! The HdR (as we refer to it in the trade) was a world-wide lineup of producers from Spain, Australia, France, and America, of course. An incredible way to taste the world without having to deal with jet-lag. A total treat for me, I chose to spend the first afternoon focusing on producers who opened old & rare bottles. What a wonderful way to taste the age-ablity and quality of a few hundred wines in a few short hours - and yes I now have a few new favorites!

About 1/3 of my personal wine consumption is of Rhône varietals – soo many to explore. Check out this delicious list the fine folks at HdR provided… there will be a quiz tomorrow, class! (NOT.)

1. Bourboulenc: (Burr-buh-lanc) light bodied, delicate floral, citrus, peach, melon, earth
  2. Camarese: (Cam-are-ess) firm, tannins, delicate aromatics, pepper, spice
  3. Carignane Noir: (Care-ig-non No-our) tannic, solid acidity, good color, cherry, raspberry, pepper
  4. Cinsault Noir: (Sahn-so No-our) elegant, soft & lightly aromatic, strawberry, raspberry, smoke, earth
  5. Clairette Blanc: (Claret Blan) big bodied, floral, aromatic, honeysuckle, tropical flowers, tropical fruits
  6. Clairette Rose: (Clare-et Rose) light aromatics, fruit notes, soft strawberry, cherry, rose petal
  7. Counoise Noir: (Coon-wahz No-our) lively acidity, spice, richness, raspberry, cherry, cranberry
  8. Grenache Blanc: (Gra-nash blan) big bodied, soft, delicate peach, melon, pear
  9. Grenache Gris: (Gra-Nash Gree) full-bodied, light in color, delicate strawberry, cherry, rose petal
  10. Grenache Noir: (Gra-Nash o-our) big bodied, supple, & rich strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, black pepper
  11. Marsanne: (Mar-san) broad palate, soft & rich, peach, nectarine, stone fruits, tuberose, sweet nuts
  12. Mourvèdre: (More-ved) tannic, deeply colored, aromatic, black currant, dark cherries, leather, smoke, earth
  13. Muscardin: (Mus-car-dan) floral, aromatic, firmly structured, rose petal, barnyard, earth
  14. Muscat a Petits Grains: (Mus-cat ah Pet-eet Grahn) elegant, aromatic, floral, musk, honey, honeysuckle, lily, stone fruit
  15. Picpoul Blanc: (Peek-pool Blan) floral, soft, aromatic, pear, earth, lily, daisy, wildflowers
  16. Picpoul Noir: (Peek-pool No-our) floral, elegant, aromatic, rose, violet, dark cherry
  17. Roussanne: (Roo-sahn) firmly structured, powerful, very rich, apricot, honey, almond, nutmeg, honeysuckle, iris
  18. Syrah/Shiraz: (C-rah)/(She-raz) highly colored, firmly structured and aromatic, plum, raspberry, blueberry, blackcurrant, violet, roasted meats, smoke, chocolate, pepper, anise
  19. Terret Noir: (Tare-it No-our) delicate, perfumed, bright acidity, rose petal, lavender, dark berries, spice
  20. Ugni Blanc: (Ewn-yee Blan) delicate fruit, good acidity, pear, honey-dew melon, earth
  21. Vaccarese: (Vac-car-ess) aromatic, firmly tannic, floral, pepper, spice, earth, smoke
  22. Viognier: (Vee-ohn-yea) big bodied, very aromatic, complex apricot, musk, peaches, grapefruit, lychee, papaya, mango, tropical flowers

Download the free and AWESOME HdR iPhone App for this list and more at your fingertips.

The Cellars of Chateau de Beaucastel (owned by the Perrin Family who also have Tablas Creek Vineyards in Paso Robles)

We see a smattering of offers on Wine.Woot! of a handful of Rhône varietals, such as the Davis Family Vineyards "Cote Rose" Syrah/Viogner blend, the Mathis Grenache, Pear Valley Vineyards Syrah, and of course Peter Wellington's Marsanne & Roussanne offering... so get ready to learn and taste some lesser known grapes coming your way soon! I’m keeping the list of my favorite producers to myself for now… see you on the boards.

Cheers -
TexaCali Ali

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yea, i hire her and the first thing she does is go to France for two weeks..!

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

Great post!!

The pictures and tasting notes made me drool.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Winedavid39 wrote:yea, i hire her and the first thing she does is go to France for two weeks..!

so is it Italy next week?

Edit: Also, do we need to be mortal enemies tomorrow since Nebraska is playing Fresno State in the Stanford Regional in Softball, or does it not count because it's softball? I lean towards the latter, though in fairness I couldn't get a hit off any of them.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

texacaliali

quality posts: 136 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:so is it Italy next week?

Edit: Also, do we need to be mortal enemies tomorrow since Nebraska is playing Fresno State in the Stanford Regional in Softball, or does it not count because it's softball? I lean towards the latter, though in fairness I couldn't get a hit off any of them.

Italy - fantastic idea. Ohh WineDaaaviiidd???

WineDavid was my Boss!

Cesare

quality posts: 1593 Private Messages Cesare
texacaliali wrote:Italy - fantastic idea. Ohh WineDaaaviiidd???

I was just in valpolicella land in October.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

Cesare wrote:I was just in valpolicella land in October.

Lake Garda...did you spend some time there? I've wanted to visit for a long while now for some serious R&R!

WineDavid was my Boss!

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
Winedavid39 wrote:yea, i hire her and the first thing she does is go to France for two weeks..!

If you want to hire me and send me to France or Italy to taste wine for two weeks, I'm open to the idea.

I am very much looking forward to a single varietal pack of CdP grapes. Then we can mix and match our very own CdP blends!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

hmm... might we start seeing some french wine on w.w soon??

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:so is it Italy next week?

well, you know Fresno state is using better bats .. bet you a beer.

bhodilee

Winedavid39 wrote:well, you know Fresno state is using better bats .. bet you a beer.

Deal, but it may be a while before it gets settled up

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
sukeiasa wrote:hmm... might we start seeing some french wine on w.w soon??

*crosses fingers*

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

looking forward to more unique varietals!

Cesare

quality posts: 1593 Private Messages Cesare
texacaliali wrote:Lake Garda...did you spend some time there? I've wanted to visit for a long while now for some serious R&R!

Ahh Lago di Garda. Drove down one side to a nice little town at the bottom called Sirmione that sticks out into the lake.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

speakerscott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages speakerscott

Awesome info, awesome photos. Also, I despise your very existence. Mostly it's just jealousy.

Scott

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

speakerscott wrote:Awesome info, awesome photos. Also, I despise your very existence. Mostly it's just jealousy.

Scott

thank you, I think...I'm unbelievably grateful to be doing what I do!

WineDavid was my Boss!

bhodilee

Winedavid39 wrote:well, you know Fresno state is using better bats .. bet you a beer.

Um...who won this bet?

Apparently, it's a push. You won the first game, we won the second game. I think we bet on the first game though, so first round is on me. Second round also.