1 2009 Twin Creeks Pinot Noir
CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

acdawg

quality posts: 28 Private Messages acdawg

I didn't know Liz and Winston had a winery.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

I have Pinot idea who this is. Anyone with thoughts?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

mikegberg

quality posts: 56 Private Messages mikegberg

Looks like the black-tie monkey is taking Passover/Easter week off.

"There are more old wine drinkers than old doCTors." -François Rabelais

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

Here are some notes on earlier vintages: PinotFile, requires a (free?) daypass

And an interview, although it's more about their whites: "Alsatian Style" California Wine

Oh, and they used to have a blog: Winery Blog

I had hoped to find more about the wines in question, but perhaps others more skilled with the Google will have more success. (OK, I really just wanted a Guide Entry...)

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg
k1avg wrote:I have Pinot idea who this is. Anyone with thoughts?

I visited their winery Fall 2007. The classic Edna Valley was the only PN I tasted. It was tight at the time, but I bought a bottle anyway. I drank it about 2 years later, and it was excellent. Maybe the winemaker can speak to how these compare to that wine.
BTW, the dry Riesling and Gewurztraminer were also excellent.

PS: The PN was 2006.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf
NedDawg wrote:BTW, the dry Riesling and Gewurztraminer were also excellent.

Now those I would've bought, SIWBM be damned...!

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
mikegberg wrote:Looks like the black-tie monkey is taking Passover/Easter week off.

woot is just messing with us. They think if they throw in some cheaper wine every now and again, the skinflints among us won't be able to take Tuesdays off. Although $20/bottle is on the higher end for woot wines, and these wines go for

Twin Creeks: $36
Runestone: $40
Edna Vallye: $28

on the website ($104 total, ~$35/bottle, before shipping). Not quite "black tie," but higher than average.

sockheaven

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sockheaven

I grew up just down the street from this winery, have been a member for many years.

The Twin Creeks is my favorite pinot, and still have vintages dating back to '05

The Runestone is supposed to be their barrel select version, but I still prefer the Twin Creeks.

The Edna Valley Pinot is a very classic pinot, but not as many subtle hints.

In for 3 to compliment my stock of these vintages already :-)

Note: Even at wine club member prices, this is a steal!

jaycain

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaycain

I love Pinot of all stripes, and while you can always find Pinot in the $10-15 price-point, you usually get what you pay for. If you can find a decent one at $20/bottle, then I would consider that a "find."

These appear to be very young wines with not much feedback on Cellar Tracker. The historical feedback seems pretty solid, with reviewers giving them scores in the mid to high 80's. Here's all vintages of Pinot listed for this winery on Cellar Tracker.

I've gotta think about this one for a while. Sounds like it might not be a bad one for consumption form 2012-13. I'll either pass or buy three To keep the per-bottle price down).

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
NedDawg wrote:I visited their winery Fall 2007. The classic Edna Valley was the only PN I tasted. It was tight at the time, but I bought a bottle anyway. I drank it about 2 years later, and it was excellent. Maybe the winemaker can speak to how these compare to that wine.
BTW, the dry Riesling and Gewurztraminer were also excellent.

PS: The PN was 2006.

Good producer here, though better known for their Alsatian whites.

I tasted their Edna Valley Pinot last year and it was right on for the retail price. I think this is a very nice deal all-in-all. And the sort of producer worth supporting.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

I pity da fool who doesn't try this wine!! In for uno. cheers to all

trevmoose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages trevmoose

Buying based on the (limited) good feedback, and because my last name is Claiborne (no relation)

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Great Winery. While my daughters were going to school at Cal Poly and I would visit, I would always go in to get a case of their Riesling.

debchan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages debchan

Like trevmoose, the positive feedback, albeit limited, has swayed me. My only question is am I in for one or two? Like I posted yesterday, I have very limited experience with red wines. In fact (don't judge me) the only one I can think of that I consistently like is Louis Jadot's ubiquitous Beaujolais-Villages. So, will my uneducated palate be able to appreciate these?

jwohlenb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwohlenb
sockheaven wrote:I grew up just down the street from this winery, have been a member for many years.

The Twin Creeks is my favorite pinot, and still have vintages dating back to '05

The Runestone is supposed to be their barrel select version, but I still prefer the Twin Creeks.

The Edna Valley Pinot is a very classic pinot, but not as many subtle hints.

I am a big fan of Paso Pinots - can you tell me if any of these have the earthy undertones? I am not a fan of those, but these sound really intriguing - I'm just still recovering from the woot.off!

c55la

quality posts: 0 Private Messages c55la

Where's my black tie?

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808
debchan wrote:I have very limited experience with red wines. In fact (don't judge me) the only one I can think of that I consistently like is Louis Jadot's ubiquitous Beaujolais-Villages. So, will my uneducated palate be able to appreciate these?

I think you will be able to tell the difference between these and the LJ BV. The LJ BV is about as simple as wine gets and close to the "grape juice" end of the spectrum. These are more complex, and use a specific grape (varietal), the Pinot Noir grape. How complex are they, well, I am not familiar enough with what might lie at the other end of that spectrum to say, and furthermore, this offering would be pruning it down to just the PN varietal as well.

Think of LJBV as a bike with training wheels, and no training wheels with these. Is this the fanciest bike without training wheels? girls/boys? banana seat? tassles? bell? 10-speed? Monkey-bar handles? mountain-bike? Can't really say. But you know the difference between when the training wheels are on and when they are off, right?

That said, these are a bit pricey for a "starter kit" in Pinot Noir. I'm not saying this is a bad QPR, just that if you're looking to try a new varietal and don't want to invest a lot per bottle, then there have been and will be other offerings at a lower price point than these, also with a solid QPR (e.g. D'ontspille Le Black). And this offering is limited to just PN wine. So if you're looking to get a feel for PN specifically, then this could be a good woot. If you're looking to expand your palate in general, then you should have picked up yesterday's Sunce offering or the Praxis offering earlier that have several varietals at a super QPR. Keep an eye out for Wellington and other mixed cases as well when you can get into the under $10/bottle range. Sure it won't be equivalent to something you could get for 3-4 times the cost, but you are just looking to get a decent feel for that varietal without a lot of sunk cost (and the waiting around!) in cellaring higher-dollar wines, right?

I hope that helps you decide.

debchan

mike808 wrote:

That said, these are a bit pricey for a "starter kit" in Pinot Noir. And it is limited to PN. So if you're looking to get a feel for PN specifically, then this could be a good woot. If you're looking to expand your palate in general, then you should have picked up yesterday's Sunce offering or the Praxis offering earlier that have several varietals at a super QPR.

I hope that helps you decide.

It does, thank you very much. I'm in for 2, and then placing an order at the Praxis website. The Lagrein sounds really interesting as does the (I know it's not a red) Viognier. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not wooting when I had the chance.

divadrabnud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages divadrabnud
jaycain wrote:These appear to be very young wines

I don't understand this trend (with Pinots in particular).

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

Are these all 100% Pinot Noir? If not, what?

cobypg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cobypg
ccrida wrote:Are these all 100% Pinot Noir? If not, what?

All three of these wines are 100% Pinot Noir from the Edna Valley, AVA

jeanpaulcart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeanpaulcart

It's been many many years since I went to this winery, back in my college days at Cal Poly. I don't remember any of the particular wines, but I do a recall liking them. It's a small operation and the staff was really nice and engaging (I remember this because college kids usually get the cold shoulder at wineries).

I saved a bottle of their juice for a while and really enjoyed it when I cracked it open a couple years ago. I want to say it was a cabernet, likely from Paso, but I don't see that on their website anymore. As for their pinots, I don't remember anything specific, but I do know that the Wolff vineyard puts out some great stuff. Edna is much cooler than Paso Robles, Edna Valley pinots are smoother and less likely to be overripe in my opinion.

cobypg

boaz38 wrote:I pity da fool who doesn't try this wine!! In for uno. cheers to all

Thank you Mr. T.

cobypg

k1avg wrote:I have Pinot idea who this is. Anyone with thoughts?

Take a look at this video. It should give you insight into the winery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCwr01tSIMk

mkishbauch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mkishbauch

Just joined up with WW about a week ago...and not feeling the love yet. When do we get to wines rated higher than mid-80s by a publication we've heard of?

divadrabnud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages divadrabnud
mkishbauch wrote:Just joined up with WW about a week ago...and not feeling the love yet. When do we get to wines rated higher than mid-80s by a publication we've heard of?

Patience, grasshopper . . .

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain

martinkey4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martinkey4
mkishbauch wrote:Just joined up with WW about a week ago...and not feeling the love yet. When do we get to wines rated higher than mid-80s by a publication we've heard of?

You might get a lot of opinions on this one . First and foremost, just because someone you have heard of rates a wine a "good" number doesn't really mean jack. Just ask what the general opinion is of Robert Parker and you'll get a ton of link to previous discussions on how wine should be made.

I tend to agree with those feelings.

However - my general advice on ratings is to find someone whose taste you agree with and follow their lead. That might mean someone big like wine enthusiast or just a fellow wooter (that's my recommendation). Find someone who likes what you like and then ask their advice on new offerings.

Most of us have these fancy little CT links at the bottom of our posts - check a few out.

I am always amazed at some of the great finds that pop up on woot - typically I might be unsure whether to buy them, but after hearing some good thoughts by other posters I go in and I'm usually happy with my choice.

Wine and wenches empty men's purses
English Proverb
CT

timmyjwoot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages timmyjwoot

High scores from the popular wine rags are pretty much the surest possible way to guarantee that you won't be able to buy a given wine at a hefty discount. Which is kind of the point of this site.

That said, here's a pro tip: divorce yourself from the notion that scores mean anything and enjoy the wonders of discovering wine outside the purvey of the "king makers". You'll have more fun and spend less per bottle. Of course, on the flip side, using sites like this has a bad habit of getting you to spend more than you would have overall. ;)

martinkey4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martinkey4
divadrabnud wrote:I don't understand this trend (with Pinots in particular).

I'm pretty sure this is just based on cost (for most wines in general). Each year, wineries have to pay taxes on any inventory that they hold - so the sooner they sell it, the better.

However, if the wine is so young that it will not show well - they will hold it back until it hits the very beginning of the drinking window. For these Pinots - we are probably just seeing wines that are ready to start drinking, so wineries start selling them.

Wine and wenches empty men's purses
English Proverb
CT

TooOldForThis

Short answer, probably never. Such wines don't need woot to sell. If that's what you're looking for, you might as well move along.

If, on the other hand, you want good to excellent wine at fair or better prices, stick around. What you'll most often find is wines in the low- to moderate-price range ($9 - $15/bottle) that are as good as the best of supermarket/Bevmo wines in the same price range, with much less risk of getting the plonk in the same price range. You'll often get informed comments from actual drinkers of the wines, who can tell you not only that they like it (or not), but why. If your tastes match the reasons, you can get a better sense of whether you, yourself, will like the wine, which is the whole point. You'll often get active, enthusiastic participation by the winemakers, describing what they were trying to get out of the specific vintage. (It is unfortunate that today's winemakers aren't here to describe these wines, and how they differ. It will cost them in sales.) You'll find wines made in such low quantities that they aren't generally available except near the winery. As a case in point, the winery website for today's wines says that they made only 175 cases of the Runestone, and 190 cases of the Twin Creeks.

So if you're willing to settle for uniqueness, and good value (quality-price ration, or QPR), and some informed discussion, stick around.

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

You typically wont.
Wine.Woot specializes in small batch west coast wines. Most of the wines you find here won't have reputable reviews. Hence the labrat program and winery participation.

As a side note most people around here find those points to be useless anyways.

CT

TooOldForThis

cortot20 wrote:Most of the wines you find here won't have reputable reviews. Hence the labrat program and winery participation.

I think you may mean "critical" reviews, as in by wine critics. I don't see anything disreputable in the labrat reports.

TooOldForThis

TooOldForThis wrote:As a case in point, the winery website for today's wines says that they made only 175 cases of the Runestone, and 190 cases of the Twin Creeks.

Actually, I didn't have to go that far. It's on the main page, here, along with clonal variations, harvesting statistics, alcohol levels, time in cask, vineyards used, the type of PN being attempted, and likely food pairings. So if your interest is in finding a wine like other wines that you like, you have more information than a pretty bottle and some critic's 1-minute evaluation.

cwtfromcandc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cwtfromcandc
TooOldForThis wrote:Short answer, probably never. Such wines don't need woot to sell. If that's what you're looking for, you might as well move along.

If, on the other hand, you want good to excellent wine at fair or better prices, stick around. What you'll most often find is wines in the low- to moderate-price range ($9 - $15/bottle) that are as good as the best of supermarket/Bevmo wines in the same price range, with much less risk of getting the plonk in the same price range. You'll often get informed comments from actual drinkers of the wines, who can tell you not only that they like it (or not), but why. If your tastes match the reasons, you can get a better sense of whether you, yourself, will like the wine, which is the whole point. You'll often get active, enthusiastic participation by the winemakers, describing what they were trying to get out of the specific vintage. (It is unfortunate that today's winemakers aren't here to describe these wines, and how they differ. It will cost them in sales.) You'll find wines made in such low quantities that they aren't generally available except near the winery. As a case in point, the winery website for today's wines says that they made only 175 cases of the Runestone, and 190 cases of the Twin Creeks.

So if you're willing to settle for uniqueness, and good value (quality-price ration, or QPR), and some informed discussion, stick around.

I'm not absolutely certain I have this right, but you seem to be implying that the Winemaker(s) for Claiborne & Churchill are not around to explain the three Pinot Noirs of today's woot. Au contraire, mon ami! Firstly, there is Coby's voicemail, which describes the wines. (He has been our winemaker since I gave him my title in 2007.) Secondly, I supplied woot with descriptions of all three wines, most of which they incorporated in their main text about the offering. As co-owner (with my wife) I would also be happy to try and answer any specific questions that haven't been covered adequately.

cobypg

Hey this is Coby PG. I am the winemaker for Claiborne & Churchill. If anyone out in Woot World has any questions about the 3 Pinot Noir's today, please ask. I'd love to share my insight and thoughts on them or wine in general.
People may recognize C&C as just a producer of the wines from Alsace. This is true, but today we produce more Pinot Noir than any other varietal. At C&C we have a passion for Pinot Noir and I think it shows in our wines. They are very true to the varietal (Pinot Noir) and not these infused Pinot/Syrahs that you see now in California. Our Pinot Noirs are a good price out of our tasting room, but a steal at todays price on Woot.

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby

Not sure whether I'm asking a question that has already been put out there, but since Coby is here to answer right now, are any or all of these young Pinots drinkable right now? I have no proper cellar, just boxes stacked on top of each other in a room that doesn't get full sun on the walls. Not exactly ideal for holding on to wines for years. Besides, I'm a bit impatient and love to try new wines a few days (or weeks) after FedEx delivers them.
Thanks.

debchan

I have a question. Someone above mentioned that these seemed young. Would you say drink now, or wait a bit? If wait, how long?

(I'm already in for two, so your ideal answer is going to be "both".)

cobypg

Alison Gail Bixby wrote:Not sure whether I'm asking a question that has already been put out there, but since Coby is here to answer right now, are any or all of these young Pinots drinkable right now? I have no proper cellar, just boxes stacked on top of each other in a room that doesn't get full sun on the walls. Not exactly ideal for holding on to wines for years. Besides, I'm a bit impatient and love to try new wines a few days (or weeks) after FedEx delivers them.
Thanks.

Alison-

These are young Pinot Noir's. But still drinkable now. The "Classic" Pinot Noir (white label) is ready to drink now. The other two wines (Twin Creeks/Runesotne) taste great, but will age beautifully over the years to come. I know its hard to cellar wine. I have the same problem at home. But with yong wines you can decant them, wait an hour and then drink them. This helps out by getting a little oxygen to the wine and it will open up. I think you will find all three Pinot Noir's ready to drink once FedEx has delivered them.

Cheers.

Coby