Winery website

Facebook
Yelp

Previous offer:
2/11/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

WD really needs to pop in with a 2nd clue, especially when his first is that misleading (Rubenesque = Pear?)

And since I just made room in the wine locker ...

Pear Valley Vineyards 2009 Mixed White - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 1m 9.587s

My time machine appears to be going in the opposite direction!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis

Summertime, and the whites are flowing. Interesting combination; the Tom's Oak seems to be an outlier in terms of style.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

A Muscat Canelli! Is this a sweet one? I've only ever had sweet wines from this. And generally from idiosyncratic winemakers, like at Bella Vista. And as dessert wines they've so far been generally excellent!

MarkDaSpark

richardhod wrote:A Muscat Canelli! Is this a sweet one? I've only ever had sweet wines from this. And generally from idiosyncratic winemakers, like at Bella Vista.

Should be. I don't think I've had a non-sweet one.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

michaepf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages michaepf

Mom is coming to visit next month, so it'd be good to have some (more) whites on hand...

Anyone else surprised by the alcohol on the chard and SB?

Also, for reference, the standard retail from the winery is $64 for the set, or $80 with CA tax and shipping:

• 2009 Tom's Oak Chard. $24.00
  • 2009 Chardonnay $15.00
  • 2009 Sauvignon Blanc $13.00
  • 2009 Muscat Canelli $12.00

My Cellar, totally out of date. Useful, I know.

MarkDaSpark

Courtesy of CJ:

cjsiege wrote: Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 17 .
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

April
4/30: NorCal #9: Peninsula/South Bay – Unusual Varietals

May
5/7: NoVA/DC #23: Spring Fling
5/7: NorCal #10: Vincent Arroyo Winery Open House
5/14: CyberPub Cellars Bottling Session #3
5/21: DTW #10: Sweet Endings

June
6/4: Buffalo/WNY #6: Bubbly and Sushi

August
8/6: Connecticut Special Event: Clambake!
Late August: NoVA/DC #24: Churrascaria!!! Large, Grilled Meat!!!

Pending
TBD: Arizona Verde Valley Winery Weekend

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the World of Wine Woot Community Tab!

So join or create a gathering now!

richardhod

MarkDaSpark wrote:Should be. I don't think I've had a non-sweet one.

Looking at the stats it seems not: Brix 24, which makes sense dry with pH3.56. Curiouser and Curiouser!

Also looking at the stats, you can tell how much the malolactic fermentation affected the oaky Chard (tom's) also by the pH which is so high at 3.8 compared with the moderate-high non-malo stainless chard at 3.55. Both a bit high in alcohol! Curious also to hear how they taste.

Like the look of the Sauvignon Blanc though: a nice mouthwatering 3.4pH and 7+ TA. Again, alc a little on the high side, but could be very crisp.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

I've never seen a group of white wines all with such high alcohol. Why are they all around 15% and is it obvious on the nose?

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

richardhod

And while we're at it: if you live in / are called Pear Valley, surely you should also make some kind of pear wine? Or Pear Cider? Or Pear Mead? Or...

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
lassow wrote:I've never seen a group of white wines all with such high alcohol. Why are they all around 15% and is it obvious on the nose?

Possibly because of the region they are from.
Paso Robles is a hotter climate then Napa & Sonoma and you'll notice that most of the wines we see on WW from this region are higher in alc.

CT

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
cortot20 wrote:Possibly because of the region they are from.
Paso Robles is a hotter climate then Napa & Sonoma and you'll notice that most of the wines we see on WW from this region are higher in alc.

Was 2009 particularly hot? We are headed to that area in less than two weeks and will most likely be tasting quite a few 2009 wines. Good trend to look out for.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
lassow wrote:Was 2009 particularly hot? We are headed to that area in less than two weeks and will most likely be tasting quite a few 2009 wines. Good trend to look out for.

No idea about how hot the year was. I do love Paso Syrah, and it usually ticks up around the 15% range if not closer to 16%. Should be a great time of year to go, not too hot yet and its been raining a lot so far this year so everything should be green.

CT

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Hungarian oak! Isn't that supposed to add a certain spiciness - cinnamon, clove, and whatnot?

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84
richardhod wrote:A Muscat Canelli! Is this a sweet one? I've only ever had sweet wines from this. And generally from idiosyncratic winemakers, like at Bella Vista. And as dessert wines they've so far been generally excellent!

is that what we tried on our birthday?

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Pear Valley is also the winery that is running a deal on their 2005 Syrah for $60 a case. I ordered one around the time of the last woot-off, but I haven't opened any yet.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

I have had dry Muscats before, and they can be lovely. Looking at the alcohol, I would think that fermentation was complete and therefore the wine was dry. If it was in the 10-12%, then I think you would find quite a bit of residual sugar, but I don't think so at 15.1%.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
redwinefan wrote:Pear Valley is also the winery that is running a deal on their 2005 Syrah for $60 a case. I ordered one around the time of the last woot-off, but I haven't opened any yet.

can u open one this morning? sounds like a steal!

"The older I get the better I was"

redwinefan

losthighwayz wrote:can u open one this morning? sounds like a steal!

It's still sitting at my UPS store box, and I'm sitting at work. Some other people ordered them as well on the deals thread, so maybe they'll chime in.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

How good is this deal?

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

richardhod

alexa84 wrote:is that what we tried on our birthday?

It is! I think it was my favourite of the sweet ones. They had a Hungarian Rozmaring, which was much more unusual, but both very decent sweet-end wines. I might still have a bottle.

I hope these Pear guys turn up and talk to us! They're definitely Paso Robles style, which is high alcohol, "spicy" wines. I think they're brave to grow whites there, but they may well know more about special conditions there which may well work for a good proportion of wooters. I'd say if you like typical California whites, you may like these.

Incidentally, the Syrah looks like good value. They had a vertical up on woot, and it's the same area as Calcareous, whose Syrah I liked, with unabashed high alcohol, though the Cab and Zin were disappointing. Syrah can taste good in almost all climates and conditions though, and will style in several ways, so I suspect it takes a truly execrable winemaker to make a bad Syrah.

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

[quote postid="4446412" user="michaepf"]Mom is coming to visit next month, so it'd be good to have some (more) whites on hand...

Anyone else surprised by the alcohol on the chard and SB?
/quote]

I'm surprised. Your mom could get pretty toasted on these.

Will we have rats? I'm full to the brim on wine, but these sound very intriguing.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

pearvalley

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pearvalley

Good Morning, Jared here from Pear Valley Vineyards. So, the Muscat Canelli is a dry wine, no R.S. We feel that this wine is much more interesting as a dry wine. There are spicy notes to this wine which make it very interesting. It also pairs great with tough foods, such as Thai and Japanese.

pearvalley

lassow wrote:Was 2009 particularly hot? We are headed to that area in less than two weeks and will most likely be tasting quite a few 2009 wines. Good trend to look out for.

Lassow - 2009 was not abnormaly hot, but we do get warm here in Paso. As far as a vintage, 2009 is a classic. Pretty much textbook, with no extreme spiked temperatures on either end.

When you are out this way, give us a shout. I would be happy to show you around the winery.

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
pearvalley wrote:Good Morning, Jared here from Pear Valley Vineyards. So, the Muscat Canelli is a dry wine, no R.S. We feel that this wine is much more interesting as a dry wine. There are spicy notes to this wine which make it very interesting. It also pairs great with tough foods, such as Thai and Japanese.

Okay, we'll I don't care for oaked Chardonnay, but I like trying different styles from the same winery so this was tempting. Finding out the muscat is dry puts me in for two. These sound like good summer wines -- thanks!

pearvalley

k1avg wrote:Hungarian oak! Isn't that supposed to add a certain spiciness - cinnamon, clove, and whatnot?

Yes, I love the nutmeg it imparts. Overall, it leans towards the baking spices and as an intergrated wine, works wonderfully with chardonnay. Baking spices and tropical fruit. Yes please...

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance

Hi there, good to see you on the forum today.

If I can go a bit off-topic, there are a few of us who were wondering about the 2005 Syrah closeout deal from the winery, and there isn't a lot of information about it. Can you give a quick comment/recommendation?

Sorry for the thread hijack!

pearvalley

wnance wrote:Hi there, good to see you on the forum today.

If I can go a bit off-topic, there are a few of us who were wondering about the 2005 Syrah closeout deal from the winery, and there isn't a lot of information about it. Can you give a quick comment/recommendation?

Sorry for the thread hijack!

So, the '05 Syrah is on sale, simple because we did not have a tasting room until 2009, and we have the inventory. It's a screaming deal because the wine was made very well, high end French oak barrels, AND it's been aged for you. I suspect the wine will reach it's peak in the next year or two, and is drinking fantastic currently. The tannins have mellowed and created the 'silkyness' we desire from aged wine. Hope that helps...

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance
pearvalley wrote:So, the '05 Syrah is on sale, simple because we did not have a tasting room until 2009, and we have the inventory. It's a screaming deal because the wine was made very well, high end French oak barrels, AND it's been aged for you. I suspect the wine will reach it's peak in the next year or two, and is drinking fantastic currently. The tannins have mellowed and created the 'silkyness' we desire from aged wine. Hope that helps...

Great, thanks!

gadgetlady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gadgetlady

In for two... Couldn't pass up the unoaked chard (rarely seen in the midwest).

Woot Cellars Monkey 2nd Prize 4/1/11, Mumm Brut Prestige Magnum and Pinot Noir 12/20/07, Woot Cellars Humbug 11/27/07, Armida Winery Poizin Trio 10/19/07, Roshambo Trio 9/27/07, Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah Vertical Trio 3/11/07, Wellington Vineyards "Rhône Review" Quartet 3/4/07, Helix by Reininger Quartet 2/21/07, Vina Robles Red Quartet 1/3/07, Columbia Winery Washington Quartet 12/11/06, Parker Station Critter Quartet 10/10/06

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
pearvalley wrote:So, the '05 Syrah is on sale, simple because we did not have a tasting room until 2009, and we have the inventory. It's a screaming deal because the wine was made very well, high end French oak barrels, AND it's been aged for you. I suspect the wine will reach it's peak in the next year or two, and is drinking fantastic currently. The tannins have mellowed and created the 'silkyness' we desire from aged wine. Hope that helps...

Do my eyes decieve me, $60 for a case of '05 Syrah ?

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie

Hopefully Pear Valley shows up tomorrow on Woot with the Syrah. I know $95 total for a case of '05 Syrah is increbibly cheap but there is something about paying 35 dollars to ship a 60 dollar case of wine that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on that offer although I did purchase two of the whites on here. Maybe we will get some feedback from previous drinkers of the Syrah.

LOUISECAMERA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LOUISECAMERA

i agree gtcharlie, i am so spoiled by the wine.woot shipping, can't stomach the $30 per case shipping for the syrah either. Well Woot, can you do this deal?

bsevern

I only live 3 hours from the winery according to google maps, so it was only $18 to ship, but then again we have $4.95 of dreaded CA tax (not that I'm complaining, but does anyone know why WW doesn't charge CA tax??) still that equates to something like $6.90 a bottle!! Even if this turns out to be a Tuesday drinker, for that price, it's all good Yet again, if it turns out to be something more . . .

redwinefan

LOUISECAMERA wrote:i agree gtcharlie, i am so spoiled by the wine.woot shipping, can't stomach the $30 per case shipping for the syrah either. Well Woot, can you do this deal?

Woot needs to build the bulk of the shipping costs into the price, so I doubt they'd be able to do it any cheaper than $95 shipped anyhow so you might as well order it from the winery if you want it.

Woot had a 3 pack Pear Valley vertical including one of this Syrah up during the woot off (check out Cesares top post for a link)

gtcharlie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gtcharlie
redwinefan wrote:Woot needs to build the bulk of the shipping costs into the price, so I doubt they'd be able to do it any cheaper than $95 shipped anyhow so you might as well order it from the winery if you want it.

Woot had a 3 pack Pear Valley vertical including one of this Syrah up during the woot off (check out Cesares top post for a link)

I hear you. I truly doubt they could do it cheaper than $95. If I heard some positive impressions of the wine I am sure I could overcome by shipping hangup.

bsevern

gtcharlie wrote:I hear you. I truly doubt they could do it cheaper than $95. If I heard some positive impressions of the wine I am sure I could overcome by shipping hangup.

I'll let you know when my case arrives....I wonder how quickly they ship> I live in the SF bay area, so I should have it overnight from the day they ship

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
gtcharlie wrote:Hopefully Pear Valley shows up tomorrow on Woot with the Syrah. I know $95 total for a case of '05 Syrah is increbibly cheap but there is something about paying 35 dollars to ship a 60 dollar case of wine that is stopping me from pulling the trigger on that offer although I did purchase two of the whites on here. Maybe we will get some feedback from previous drinkers of the Syrah.

Like some others, I feel the same way. I know it doesn't make any sense, but if it were $80 for a case and only $10 for shipping I'd feel better.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

Any Seattle area wooters who want to split a case? PM me if interested.