1 2008 Isabel Mondavi Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website
Second site
Third site

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

Looks interesting, always enjoy verticals. OR grapes from a CA winery, my question is where was this made, and by who?

Cesare

quality posts: 1558 Private Messages Cesare
ccrida wrote:Looks interesting, always enjoy verticals. OR grapes from a CA winery, my question is where was this made, and by who?

From their site:
The Pinot Noir is made at the Scott Paul Winery in Willamette Valley, Oregon.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

Willamette Valley pinots are the best anywhere. This is definitely good stuff, though I don't know that it's that good of a deal. I've seen these bottles at Fred Meyer up here in Seattle for roughly the same price.

ratnikov

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ratnikov
ccrida wrote:Looks interesting, always enjoy verticals. OR grapes from a CA winery, my question is where was this made, and by who?

Their about winery page says that the Pinot is made in Scott Paul Winery.

Looks like very interesting bottles, so I'd love to hear more! Perhaps some info on Residual Sugar? (I had a very icky Pinot recently that was waaay to sweet(

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt
Greshmahg wrote:Willamette Valley pinots are the best anywhere. This is definitely good stuff, though I don't know that it's that good of a deal. I've seen these bottles at Fred Meyer up here in Seattle for roughly the same price.

+1 for OR PN!

Not all of us live in OR, so it may be something of a deal if that's what people are looking for.

I have enough OR PN to last until I go back up for restocking in July.

CT Updating, please wait....

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
Greshmahg wrote:Willamette Valley pinots are the best anywhere. This is definitely good stuff, though I don't know that it's that good of a deal. I've seen these bottles at Fred Meyer up here in Seattle for roughly the same price.

Doesn't look too bad: wine-searcher

froogled

...and I don't find them here in NY.

isabelmondaviwines

quality posts: 4 Private Messages isabelmondaviwines

Hi, greetings from the winery. The wines are made by Isabel's son, 4th generation winemaker, Rob Mondavi Jr. Rob travels to Oregon to make the wine to keep fruit transportation to a minimum.

kagayaki1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kagayaki1

Scott Paul makes fantastic stuff in Carlton, remarkable for the balance, I think. And you can't beat these vineyards - Momtazi and Zenith both have pronounced, unique flavor profiles.

Intriguing to put 2006, 2007, and 2008 together. 2006 tends to be bigger flavors. 2007 was a terrible year UNLESS a good winemaker was at the helm, then it can be fantastic (note: rare). 2008 was one of the best ever, and should produce age-worthy wines.

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

Cool, glad to hear they don't travel. My good friend manages vineyards for Scott Paul (non-estate) among others, I'll have to ask him if it's any of these, and what he thinks. Scott imports some tasty Burgundy at affordable prices btw, it's always fun to hit his tasting room in Carlton and compare them directly to the local style...

Cesare wrote:From their site:
The Pinot Noir is made at the Scott Paul Winery in Willamette Valley, Oregon.

NightGhost

isabelmondaviwines wrote:Hi, greetings from the winery. The wines are made by Isabel's son, 4th generation winemaker, Rob Mondavi Jr. Rob travels to Oregon to make the wine to keep fruit transportation to a minimum.

Hello! Can you tell me the pH of these wines? Also, any residual sugar?

Thank you.

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
isabelmondaviwines wrote:Hi, greetings from the winery. The wines are made by Isabel's son, 4th generation winemaker, Rob Mondavi Jr. Rob travels to Oregon to make the wine to keep fruit transportation to a minimum.

Wow. Night owl winery participant. Love that. Thank you for being here. What should I know about this wine that hasn't already been made clear?

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

jsp872

quality posts: 22 Private Messages jsp872

i love pinots, thinking if I should get two... have some now, and save some for later

keni805

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keni805

I've had the 06 before and from what I remember, enjoyed it. I picked up 3 of the 06 off cindy for 19.88/each so the price is around the same.

mandoo500

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mandoo500

oh boy oh boy. i think i'm in trouble now. somebody please stop me.

Coyoty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coyoty
mandoo500 wrote:oh boy oh boy. i think i'm in trouble now. somebody please stop me.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm in for one. This is too good to pass up.

mejojoWOOT

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mejojoWOOT
mandoo500 wrote:oh boy oh boy. i think i'm in trouble now. somebody please stop me.

Don't! Stop! Don't Stop!

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
mejojoWOOT wrote:Don't! Stop! Don't Stop!

That's what she s... aaah - nevermind.

sandrita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandrita
NightGhost wrote:Doesn't look too bad: wine-searcher

froogled

...and I don't find them here in NY.

http://www.grandwinecellar.com/vsku1554017.html

digit3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages digit3
Greshmahg wrote:Willamette Valley pinots are the best anywhere.

Really? I had heard that they were making some that might compete somewhere over in France.

I'm not a pinotphile by any stretch of the imagination but in the reading that I have done of top ten lists from industry rags, there are usually maybe two OR pinots in any ranking and never at the top.

Cyradia

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Cyradia
digit3 wrote:Really? I had heard that they were making some that might compete somewhere over in France.

I'm not a pinotphile by any stretch of the imagination but in the reading that I have done of top ten lists from industry rags, there are usually maybe two OR pinots in any ranking and never at the top.

Wow, I'm surprised any top 10 pinot list doesn't include a lot of Willamette Valley. They're known for their pinots, and I'd bet on an unknown Willamette pinot any day over an unknown California pinot.

I thoroughly enjoyed my tasting tour in Willamette. That said, a lot of times the prices reflect the known quality, so a lot of times I didn't buy wines because of common $75+ price tags.

Now, Oregon wines outside of the Willamette Valley, I'd approach with a lot more caution.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Need and love Pinot but Im going to need some convincing here. Price point isnt that great and the reviews I've read arent overwhelming. I am curious though...

blipper67

quality posts: 6 Private Messages blipper67

"one farmed sustainably and LIVE certified, the other farmed Biodynamically and Demeter certified."

"Bio wacko", "native yeasts"...... that's a deal killer for me!

Any time I see those words, those type organic concepts, "green", it suggests just another racket.....a reason to charge double as such companies prey on the green sympathy's and idealogies of others.

mxracer98

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mxracer98

Ive been let down lately with the selection on the part of Woot. The last bottle I bought was Blue Rock, really would enjoy some higher price point juice.

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher

Fir the semi-oldtimers - we all remember the discussions on Biodynamics out here - but Demeter was a new one for me...

Demeter Demystified

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
blipper67 wrote:Biodynamically and Demeter certified."

+1. was going to buy until I got to the biodynamics. Oh well. More for everyone else

CT

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
Greshmahg wrote:Willamette Valley pinots are the best anywhere.

IMO, from a QPR perspective, on this we will agree to disagree.

Rather than re-hash, I'll just point you to the following thread.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

davide63 wrote:That's what she s... aaah - nevermind.

at work we've taken to just typing "twss"

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

mxracer98 wrote:Ive been let down lately with the selection on the part of Woot. The last bottle I bought was Blue Rock, really would enjoy some higher price point juice.

+1

Make black-tie Wednesday be a really special acquisition. Also, a black-tie rat program of not-so random tasters might be a good idea.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

These wines look interesting. It would be very useful to know the Brix at harvest and the pH on these wines: the alcohol levels are reasonable, but Oregon Pinot Noir's can be underripe in a way California Pinot Noir hasn't been except in a few absolutely disastrous years (e.g. 1972 - even Bob Mondavi's), and in a way Burgundy can be but rarely is because they can chaptalize, which we can't in the US.

Overall, my experiences with Oregon Pinot Noir has been mixed - the best of them are very good indeed, equal to anything out of California (but just as, or more, expensive) and able to hold their own with solid village Burgundies. But, I have had too many that were underripe, or mediocre, at prices that made me blanch at the thought I'd paid that much for that quality.

The provenance of this wine seems reasonable - the Mondavis have a family history of quality, but I don't know this young winemaker - so if you've got the $65 and like Pinot Noir, give it a whirl.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

isabelmondaviwines

ratnikov wrote:Their about winery page says that the Pinot is made in Scott Paul Winery.

Looks like very interesting bottles, so I'd love to hear more! Perhaps some info on Residual Sugar? (I had a very icky Pinot recently that was waaay to sweet(

Hi! These aren't sweet wines, they are fermented dry (I don't have the lab numbers at my fingertips because I'm traveling today - but no sweetness here).

75blazer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 75blazer

If you like to drink wine, do yourself a favor and check out the Mondavi's new idea. They're bringing in family made wines from all over the world for our enjoyment. Check this out:

Folio Wine Partners

I had the pleasure of sitting with Michael at an event in Chicago not too long ago. The wines we drank were top notch. How can you go wrong with today's woot? $20 for a delicious Pinot? Why not??

amandamanfredo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amandamanfredo

Isn't PN typically ~$20 a bottle? Do I just not know any better? What's so Black Tie about this?

isabelmondaviwines

rmm989 wrote:+1. was going to buy until I got to the biodynamics. Oh well. More for everyone else

We completely understand if this issue is a personal red flag for you...just wanted to comment that the only criteria we used when looking for vineyard sites to work with is the quality of the fruit. One vineyard happened to be farmed Biodyamic and one was sustainable...we loved the fruit from both sites and so that's why we work with both of them.

isabelmondaviwines

NightGhost wrote:Hello! Can you tell me the pH of these wines? Also, any residual sugar?

Thank you.

Hi, I'm sorry that I don't have the pH numbers for each of these at my fingertips. The only one I had in my notes on my computer is the 2007 which was 3.53.

mopsie2002

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mopsie2002

Hey all--

This is completely unrelated to the current offering, but I've confused myself.

When all do offerings on wine.woot update? And wasn't there always gonna be one offering that was available all week or something (and if so how do you get to it)? Or did they scrap that?

Thanks!

Oregonian through and through <3...even if I call North Carolina my home now.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

How good is this deal?

Pricing based on the 2009 vintage, which is the only one I could find on the site. Savings are likely greater as these are older vintages, but still, hovers around 50% off.

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

NightGhost

sandrita wrote:http://www.grandwinecellar.com/vsku1554017.html

Oops - I shop there all the time.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mopsie2002 wrote:Hey all--

This is completed unrelated to the current offering, but I've confused myself.

When all do offerings on wine.woot update? And wasn't there always gonna be one offering that was available all week or something (and if so how do you get to it)? Or did they scrap that?

Thanks!

They scrapped that a while ago - now we get new offers every Monday - Friday, with the Friday deal staying up all weekend. Wednesdays seem to be turning into "Black Tie Buy" days, Thursdays are always a non-wine day, Fridays have rats.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"